So this really shouldn't happen. Killing Quest Givers.

Blowwtorch

Malichose attacked me when I attacked another group of enemies. If I were to let him kill me, it would've taken forever.

He gained agro to you and attacked you. There is your answer right there.

Is it a bug, or working as intended.. nobody but Bioware knows for sure. /bug report it and move on.... or... hey... agro him again and kill him again.

It's not like mission NPCs don't respawn if they are killed.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should not happen on a PVE server. Heck, it shouldn't happen on any server designation.

It's happened in every MMO I have ever played. And it is a deliberate tactic on PvE servers as a method to draw the opposing faction out into some open PvP in most MMOs. And in most cases if you let other players know about it ....ON A PvE server, they are more then happy to come out and give the offenders a proper spanking until they give up and leave. And frankly, if they are just ignored.. they get bored and leave. Why? because there is no gain for them killing an NPC.

An unintentional kill like the OP did is not some tragedy. They respawn within minutes (unless they are bugged).

MMO play is full of little interruptions and unexpected things, even on PvE servers.

Edited by Andryah

It's happened in every MMO I have ever played. And it is a deliberate tactic on PvE servers as a method to draw the opposing faction out into some open PvP in most MMOs. And in most cases if you let other players know about it ....ON A PvE server, they are more then happy to come out and give the offenders a proper spanking until they give up and leave. And frankly, if they are just ignored.. they get bored and leave. Why? because there is no gain for them killing an NPC.

An unintentional kill like the OP did is not some tragedy. They respawn within minutes (unless they are bugged).

MMO play is full of little interruptions and unexpected things, even on PvE servers.

Yep! :mon_cool:

This should not happen on a PVE server. Heck, it shouldn't happen on any server designation.

I agree for this game, since it revolves so much around story based leveling. This isn't like a lot of other games where you can just instantly port into a specific town to defend it, there's a ton of travel time to get anywhere (talking between planets here) so the idea of attacking an area to 'encourage world pvp' just doesn't mesh well here. It's part of the difficulty BioWare had in making a good single player experience (their story) and combining it with the standard MMO features. Not everything really works the way it does in most other MMOs.

Edited by hadoken

I actually do this for fun. I don't want it removed classified as a "Bug". It feels like I am accomplishing something, especially on a PvP server.

Makes sense on a PVP server. However, it's definitely a bug on a PVE server.

Well, I don't know what kind of games you're playing, but in the things I've played, even the more hard core type pvp games, this was a no go, mind you most of the npcs for quests in the pvp games were in sheltered areas like bases. Now in the one in particular that I'm thinking of, RF Online, there were guns to protect the area, and these guns were pretty much set to annihilate any enemy that came near. In some others the faction protection units could be attacked, but respawned in seconds, so while it was possible to access an area, you still couldn't kill the npc questgivers, because they weren't designed for that.

Thing is, on a PVE server this shouldn't happen. I realize there are a lot more gimmicks you can pull to annoy other factions, but here...no, on a PVE server, the quest givers shouldn't be killable. It sounded to me like they might be bugged, because I didn't get the impression off the OP's post that they came back fast..cause they were dead, and he (the sorc that reported the OP) was unable to get his quests straightaway.

Edited by Lunafox

I thought you were joking at first...

Yeah, I never really cared for the idea that max level characters would invade lowbie zones and kill all the quest givers, the flight masters, the vendors. It was fun in higher level zones and in the major cities, but not everyone has a max level character or friends on who had them, and that sometimes just left a hand full of sad, helpless lowbies who can't do anything but watch or log off.

That is why there are 3 leveling paths in WoW...if one spot has been invaded, go to another.

In November, I watched an Imp kill the taxi NPC in a base in Voss on Harbinger. When I finished the area, the NPC still hadn't respawned, and I had to change instances to taxi away. I thought it was quite amusing to have a taxi marker on my map but no accessible taxi.

In November, I watched an Imp kill the taxi NPC in a base in Voss on Harbinger. When I finished the area, the NPC still hadn't respawned, and I had to change instances to taxi away. I thought it was quite amusing to have a taxi marker on my map but no accessible taxi.

The assassin droid from the macrobinoculars questline can actually aggro the taxi droid into the fight. :eek:

Yes, please remove the last few semblances of an open world from this game. I want to see only NPCs and friendly players from now on. I shouldn't have to suffer this tiny inconvenience!

In fact, I can be inconvenienced by PvP so it should be removed. Group PvE content, too, that can inconvenience me; other people can be such *****. Get rid of chat as well, so I don't have to be inconvenienced by nasty remarks or spam.

Arguing against a point by completely hyperbolizing it, always makes you like right, doesn't it?

When did we complain about any of that stuff other than wanting quest-givers to not be attackable? That's a very small thing. Every other person in the base, fine. Open game for killing. But not the quest-givers. You have no idea how easy it is to sit in there and just repeatedly kill the quest-givers right as they respawn, just to annoy other players. Imagine levelling your character, and being unable to grab any missions in the area because some tool on the Empire side was murdering each quest-giver as they respawned.

That's the point that's made here. What you said, just isn't even close.

Imagine levelling your character, and being unable to grab any missions in the area because some tool on the Empire side was murdering each quest-giver as they respawned.

Thing is... I have run into this a couple times since launch. One fairly recently in fact. I just switched instances and went about my business.

If this sort of thing was a chronic problem I would agree with all the folks saying it needs to be prohibited. But it's not. And when it does happen, it is most often somebodies way of taunting for some open world PvP sport.. for which there are generally players ready and willing to deal with them if you simply reach out and communicate. There is a group of players in my guild that live for the opportunity to give these types a proper /spanking.

The one thing we do need, like in WoW, IMO is a galactic PvP channel to make it easier to rally a jump team on short notice without having to relay through guild chat.

Either way... let the player base deal with nozzle-heads that kill NPCs IMO.

Edited by Andryah

Yes, please remove the last few semblances of an open world from this game. I want to see only NPCs and friendly players from now on. I shouldn't have to suffer this tiny inconvenience!

In fact, I can be inconvenienced by PvP so it should be removed. Group PvE content, too, that can inconvenience me; other people can be such *****. Get rid of chat as well, so I don't have to be inconvenienced by nasty remarks or spam.

Hyperbole much? :rolleyes:

I think this kind of thing should be allowed on pvp servers. However fix it for PVE ones.

Albet I think there are more pressing concerns, like why the hell is the pilgrim's retreat on voss not a sanctuary. I mean seriously its a unprotected spawn.

Get a bunch of 78-geared level 55s, move through the bases wipe out every opposite-faction quest giver on the planet. Suddenly, nobody in the other faction can make any progress.

That's the issue.

In the meantime, queue for a wz, do companion stories, gsf, Star Wars Fox space, craft, do a fp, etc. There's plenty of other things to do.

Thing is... I have run into this a couple times since launch. One fairly recently in fact. I just switched instances and went about my business.

That's fine if there is more than one instance and the other player isn't making sure that they are dead in all instances.

I haven't run into this, but I can understand the frustration on a PvE server.

They should change all npcs to this. We used to do this regularly in WoW at xroads. Kill the quest givers, vendor npcs, flight path npcs, etc. We'd make it so that the region was virtually unplayable for lowbies. What was the result? The best wpvp I've experienced outside of SWG, when players changed back to their mains and/or called for help from max lvl toons.

Oh, I totally HATED people like that when I played WOW. Especially the ones who did this on PvE servers. :mad:

In the meantime, queue for a wz, do companion stories, gsf, Star Wars Fox space, craft, do a fp, etc. There's plenty of other things to do.

Sure, there are other things to do. But if someone is having fun following a planetary or class quest line, why stop?

Note that I'm not talking against "PvP in the other-faction base". I'm specifically talking about "killing quest givers". Heck I've done spontaneous world PvP at an enemy base. Both sides duked it out for a while, they called in reinforcements, we got creamed. It was fun.

But when we were done, none of the quest givers were dead, and any players following storylines were able to continue uninterrupted. Everyone wins. How is this a bad thing?

funny story.

they actualy changed WoW quest givers and flight masters to NOT be attackable. becasue for every jerk that's having fun messing with other people's questing by locking down quest area - there were many more people who were NOT happy, who were NOT having fun and who ended up leaving the game, becasue it wasn't playable for them.

you want to kill some guards, start some world pvp? go for it! it CAN be fun sometimes. but quest gives and taxis going overboard. becasue there isn't even vaccine for that. killing quest givers, knowing that you are stopping from someone enjoying a huge part of the game with no recourse? is a dick move.

funny story.

they actualy changed WoW quest givers and flight masters to NOT be attackable. becasue for every jerk that's having fun messing with other people's questing by locking down quest area - there were many more people who were NOT happy, who were NOT having fun and who ended up leaving the game, becasue it wasn't playable for them.

you want to kill some guards, start some world pvp? go for it! it CAN be fun sometimes. but quest gives and taxis going overboard. becasue there isn't even vaccine for that. killing quest givers, knowing that you are stopping from someone enjoying a huge part of the game with no recourse? is a dick move.

:(

But-but that was one my favourite things in WoW:(

They are ruining that game piece by piece.

:(

But-but that was one my favourite things in WoW:(

They are ruining that game piece by piece.

that's just like... your opinion, man.

whatever other changes they made - this one was long time coming, was certainly change for the better and the fact that essentially griefing other players was your favorite part of the game... I'm judging you so hard right now, dude.

To be honest, this kind of issue was rife in WoW and really, really hindered levelling. I was based on a PVE/PVP server, and there was an achievement for raiding opposing faction's capitals and killing their leaders. They were cool and exciting and felt like an event and part of a war so I don't think anyone minded those as they were rare , but immersive and fun.

The problems were stealthed enemy players who ONLY targeted vendors and quest-givers. This happened a LOT on my server, and while in most cases they would be ganged up on and killed, they'd be back minutes later and would only desist if the place was busy with PC's.

In the case the OP is talking about though, this sounds more like a bug than a working as intended and I hope it's resolved so it doesn't put off people wanting to level.

On the other hand, if anyone fancies a 40 man team all hopping on speeders and raiding an enemy base en masse... count me in for sure!