Next expansion 2014?

Torenator

Actually not so. they have set a track record of having an expansion every year almost. it was ROTHC in 2012 and then GSF in 2013. so the next expansion will probably be in 2014 i assume at the end of it.

Agreed.

Unless they are still gaining momentum... in which case we might see one sooner... but there is no way to tell.. yet.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, that made for a nice little surprise. :D

Since the focus on GSF is almost over (for now), I hope that's the start of the info "stream" leading towards the next big update, and that we'll start learning more about what's coming next.

Agreed.

The interesting thing about GSF, which many players have missed I think, is that they retained a team focused on GSF moving forward. Meaning that with GSF they effectively added a whole new aspect of the game and intend to treat it as content to be extended over time (rather then consume and discard). Which is what gives it legitimate status as an expac to the game IMO.(regardless of some peoples dismissal of it as any form of game expansion).

It will be interesting to see where they go with the next expac. We had a fairly traditional expac with RoTHC (new planet, more levels, new gear progression, etc.) We had completely different expac with GSF in that it added an entire new facet of play. So I am very curious to see where they go with the next expac.

Edited by Andryah

I am hoping we get that 2014 Roadmap they were supposed to be trying to get done up. Even if it was just a roadmap through the summer that would be great. I would like to know what I should be working towards over the next few months or I can simply just drop my sub for a few months until they decide to entice me back.

I suspect we won't get a roadmap until GSF is officially released.

Then again, I'm pretty sure they can survive you dropping your sub for a few months...

Agreed.

The interesting thing about GSF, which many players have missed I think, is that they retained a team focused on GSF moving forward. Meaning that with GSF they effectively added a whole new aspect of the game and intend to treat it as content to be extended over time (rather then consume and discard). Which is what gives it legitimate status as an expac to the game IMO.(regardless of some peoples dismissal of it as any form of game expansion).

It will be interesting to see where they go with the next expac. We had a fairly traditional expac with RoTHC (new planet, more levels, new gear progression, etc.) We had completely different expac with GSF in that it added an entire new facet of play. So I am very curious to see where they go with the next expac.

I personally didn't know about the team thing either, I just knew that they were going to expand upon it over time (so it makes sense that they'd have people focusing on it).

Given the whole recording comment my personal guess would be that it'll be something story focused; after all the game was heavily marketed on its story content.

Maybe it'll introduce some nifty new gameplay features as well.

I already stopped playing. Whats the point?

The Driveyeards flashpoint is almost coming out and that is all we know is coming out. As far as we know, the game ended here.

I do keep visiting the forums in the hopes that a new expansion gets announced, but i'm not seeing it.

Thanks, that made for a nice little surprise. :D

Since the focus on GSF is almost over (for now), I hope that's the start of the info "stream" leading towards the next big update, and that we'll start learning more about what's coming next.

That really doesn't mean much.

For all we know, he could have been referring to that dude Bioware keeps on their basement, namely Steve Blum. That or Robin Atkin Downes.

I am hoping we get that 2014 Roadmap they were supposed to be trying to get done up. Even if it was just a roadmap through the summer that would be great. I would like to know what I should be working towards over the next few months or I can simply just drop my sub for a few months until they decide to entice me back.

They probably realized that publishing roadmaps will only lead down a lose-lose path:

- either they publish a roadmap that (a percentage of) players do not like and get railed for it

- or they publish a roadmap, do not 100% adhere to it, and get railed for that.

So my guess is that (a VERY smart) someone at BioWare or EA said, "um let's keep the roadmap to ourselves."

Back on topic...

Only a guess, but if they maintain the existing two instance pattern we can probably expect another expansion at the end of 2014.

Edited by psandak

They probably realized that publishing roadmaps will only lead down a lose-lose path:

- either they publish a roadmap that (a percentage of) players do not like and get railed for it

- or they publish a roadmap, do not 100% adhere to it, and get railed for that.

So my guess is that (a VERY smart) someone at BioWare or EA said, "um let's keep the roadmap to ourselves."

Back on topic...

Only a guess, but if they maintain the existing two instance pattern we can probably expect another expansion at the end of 2014.

Eric Musco already confirmed that a Road Map is incoming, though he wasn't able to actually share specifics, when it comes to a deadline.

Actually not so. they have set a track record of having an expansion every year almost. it was ROTHC in 2012 and then GSF in 2013. so the next expansion will probably be in 2014 i assume at the end of it.

huh? Both expansions were in 2013, we didn't have any in 2012. They have a track record for not being predictable at all. Maybe they will going forward, you can certainly excuse some of it to the launch and shuffle of the design team and changes to game access. But you're doing some rather creative interpretation of history to call them releasing an expansion every year. Oh on AVERAGE, sure, but with 2 years of service that's hardly long enough to really have a reliable average.

Maybe with the movie coming in, is it possible they push for a new effort on getting new players? Support it with a full story, huge planet expansion including level increase new FPs etc.. I know it is just a dream. but there are some ideas, even dreaming them worths the entire world.

Maybe with the movie coming in, is it possible they push for a new effort on getting new players? Support it with a full story, huge planet expansion including level increase new FPs etc.. I know it is just a dream. but there are some ideas, even dreaming them worths the entire world.

That's my expectation as well to be honest, unless there's some fine print on the contract Disney and EA have agreed upon, concerning some new SW MMO. Extremely doubtful though.

huh? Both expansions were in 2013, we didn't have any in 2012. They have a track record for not being predictable at all. Maybe they will going forward, you can certainly excuse some of it to the launch and shuffle of the design team and changes to game access. But you're doing some rather creative interpretation of history to call them releasing an expansion every year. Oh on AVERAGE, sure, but with 2 years of service that's hardly long enough to really have a reliable average.

Exactly this. RotHC was released in April 2013 (early access or otherwise) and technically Galactic Star Fighter has yet to be 'released'. They set their own definition of 'expansion' with RotHC and have changed it again by calling GSF the same. Consistency, at least in regards to 'expansions', has yet to be established.

That's my expectation as well to be honest, unless there's some fine print on the contract Disney and EA have agreed upon, concerning some new SW MMO. Extremely doubtful though.

Don't hold your breath. People hoped the same thing with Lotro and The Hobbit didn't help them at all...

Really the almighty dollar will be the primary driver of when and what kind of content we can expect to see. If they are making good profits and see the potential for more, they will reinvest to keep people spending money.

It seems to me that they are doing well considering the revenue they reported from the CM alone, as well as uptrending player population, so I think the outlook is good.

Eric Musco already confirmed that a Road Map is incoming, though he wasn't able to actually share specifics, when it comes to a deadline.

Which tells me he just put it out there to satisfy the craving. When we actually see a roadmap, I'll say I was wrong :D

What he actually said is that he would prepare a "roadmap" style post in the forum. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7114675#post7114675

He said nothing specifically about sharing their internal roadmaps. There is a difference.

It is important, even in a gaming forum, to manage one's expectations to what was said, rather then what you want.

I would love to get continue char stories, after Makeb they could again separate apart. It would be even natural lore-wise:

1: Jedi Knight could destroy Emperor... Completely

2. Trooper could be sent to war to some planet, and story would tell his/her efforts there.

3. Jedi Consular could be sent to negotiations for some planets, and ofc he/she would be betrayed and stuff like that. I've always wanted Consulars story to be more about betrayal and backstabbing like IAs

4.Smuggler could... Have deal somewhere:D

Also more companions. I would love to have body type 1 female Jedi Sage like comp with my Sentinel they would look like siblings. And she wouldn't wear weapon, she would have Fo

rce powers only like Emperor:D:p she could be miraluka in name of variety.

For smuggler fat poker or whatever they play threre player:p

And Togruta. And I know exactly nothing of these will happen but... Peepz need dreams:cool:

What he actually said is that he would prepare a "roadmap" style post in the forum. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7114675#post7114675

He said nothing specifically about sharing their internal roadmaps. There is a difference.

It is important, even in a gaming forum, to manage one's expectations to what was said, rather then what you want.

Last I checked, I only said "Roadmap"; I didn't discuss specifics or format. Tone down your daily pro-Bioware posture, especially when there's no need of it.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

You are quibbling. They officially announced RoTHC very late in 2012 and opened it for presale. 10 months later they announced GSF and shortly thereafter opened it for subscribers only.

While we only have two data points so far, those datapoints clearly show expac releases inside of one year apart. Will that continue? Who knows.. but they DO tend to be fairly predictable once we see a trend.

Point being ------> they very much appear to be on a one expac per year (+/-). And it remains to be seen if they are still building momentum.. because frankly I think most of us were pleasantly surprised to see 2.5 be an expac after seeing 2.0 be the first expac. Regardless if you like what they released or not.. you cannot argue with the timelines they have demonstrated to date.

Last I checked, I only said "Roadmap"; I didn't discuss specifics or format. Tone down your daily pro-Bioware posture, especially when there's no need of it.

There is no "tone" to my post. I am simply reminding people what Eric actually said (because revisionist rhetoric runs rampant in the forums. We both know that there is no concensus in this forum as to what is/is-not a roadmap. ;)

And, we both know that Eric tends to under deliver what he commits to communicate. [which is not his fault, he has bosses he is accountable to].

When he communicates, people who prefer to be negative about the game are going to rail on the lack of "roadmapiness" of the roadmap type post disclosed.

Stop pretending otherwise. :)

Edited by Andryah

We both know that there is no concensus in this forum as to what is/is-not a roadmap. ;)

And, we both know that Eric tends to under deliver what he commits to communicate. [which is not his fault, he has bosses he is accountable to].

Stop pretending otherwise. :)

That's your perception it would seem, not mine.

That's your perception it would seem, not mine.

I'm sorry.... are you reversing course now and accusing me of a non-Pro_Bioware comment? Really? :)

It's not my perception in any event. It is an observation of how the forum reacts to communications in general. Some welcome whatever comes, others are quick to prosecute every communication for it's "inadequacies" from their perspective.

Edited by Andryah