Gunships are why people are not playing as much.

NathanielStarr

Seriously, Guys... quit whining. I can count the times I've one-hit a full health Enemy ship on one hand....even then, I'm probably still wrong.

Just the other night, I popped a straight and level flying scout, watched him go from full health to flaming wreckage, then let loose a warwhoop of pwnage in my voice channel, "YEAH! ONE-HIT! GET AT ME---etc,etc,"

...only to have a fellow Gunship pilot in the same channel, chuckle "You're welcome, Animal."

Why?

His Ion hit a split second before my slug....In other words, although it happened too fast for the vaper or vapee to realize it, that mofo got hit twice, and had no shields when my Slug Rail scattered him all over the space lanes...

I can say this however: I fly a fully mastered Ion/Slug Quarrell in a good 75% of my matches and a fully mastered Conc/Protorp Pike in the other 25%.

A One hit kill happens as often for a Slug Rail as it does for a Protorp.

Which is, for those not following this: RARELY.

To score a one hit kill you must be: A: Good. B: Lucky C: All alone with no support from your team. D: All of the above.

The answer is D....for douchebag...

Now, please, for your own sake, sack the hell up and learnt he game mechanics.

^ This. I've never 1-shot anyone in the game and I have maxed Ion and that's on a full charge with max power to my offense. However if you max absolutely everything and if they don't have max power to shields, if you can get a crit it might 1-hit them but it will be the exception not the rule.

Most of you who think you're getting 1-shot are getting hit with two people simultaneously, which can kill most of the loadouts IF THEY'RE HIT. There are so many counters to this it isn't even worth mentioning.

I was playing with a guy last night and we were 2-shotting people on complete accident. I didn't even know he was there. We were just in relative distances away and we both charge, hold it, and hit them the sec they're at 14,000.

I have 40+ Gunship GSF matches on my youtube channel, so I'm not going to stick around to listen to whatever replies. I just wanted to pop in to make sure this was what I thought it was about.

Take care, and learn the mechanics. GSF is amazing and it can only get better. If you think GSF is bad, go back to PVP so you can get told how to play there instead. :p Which is where I'm going, to get abused by them some more, wee!

Edited by siegeshot

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ This. I've never 1-shot anyone in the game and I have maxed Ion and that's on a full charge with max power to my offense.

Most of you who think you're getting 1-shot are getting hit with two people simultaneously, which can kill most of the loadouts IF THEY'RE HIT. There are so many counters to this it isn't even worth mentioning.

I was playing with a guy last night and we were 2-shotting people on complete accident. I didn't even know he was there. We were just in relative distances away and we both charge, hold it, and hit them the sec they're at 14,000.

I have 40+ Gunship GSF matches on my youtube channel, so I'm not going to stick around to listen to whatever replies. I just wanted to pop in to make sure this was what I thought it was about.

Take care, and learn the mechanics. GSF is amazing and it can only get better. If you think GSF is bad, go back to PVP so you can get told how to play there instead. :p Which is where I'm going, to get abused by them some more, wee!

Well I used bypass for the 1st time today and I 1 shot a gunship... (crit) I was the only one there as he did not see me coming he sat there.

I just think beyond the upcoming fix to ion rail, that Dfield's active should be changed so it doesn't give invulnerability. It a get-out-of-jail free card with 30% uptime (6 second duration - 20 second cooldown) Gunships should have consequences if they are ambushed, not a free escape. Edited by Zoom_VI

^ This. I've never 1-shot anyone in the game and I have maxed Ion and that's on a full charge with max power to my offense.

I have 40+ Gunship GSF matches on my youtube channel, so I'm not going to stick around to listen to whatever replies.

If you have played 40 games as a gunship and NEVER oneshot ANYONE, you are playing wrong. Just so damned wrong.

I don't one shot people all the time, but it absolutely does happen. It is trivial to observe, and I'm good at it. I don't care whether or not you are too holy to read a forum thread that you were obviously willing to post lies in, but for everyone else it is important.

I one shot scouts from full health with slug railgun, using bypass. If that is not clear to you, then you aren't trying very hard. And no, this does not always require a crit.

Gunships should have consequences if they are ambushed, not a free escape.

Distortion field pretty much needs to be what it is. The cooldown could go up. Gunships, like anyone else, should be able to escape from "an ambush", which means "my scout pressed boost". Grats, what an ambush.

Distortion field pretty much needs to be what it is. The cooldown could go up. Gunships, like anyone else, should be able to escape from "an ambush", which means "my scout pressed boost". Grats, what an ambush.

Interdiction Drive.

Edited by Sadishist

I fly a scout almost exclusively, only using my other ships to burn off the bonus req or to try and be fair in a match vs 2-3 ship players. Ive never been one-shot by a gunship. And yes; I fly against GS pilots that I know are mastered and using bypass. Personally I think the scout pilots claiming this happens so often are either:

A.) not paying attention and thinking its a one shot when they are already damaged (IE <3/4 hull with full shields)

or

B.) Using the wrong ship components

Could a one-shot happen in Gunship vs Scout? Maybe, I've never done the math to be honest. But it would be RARE, not what people are claiming to happen every match. You have to understand how to play vs the meta, just because someone claims on the forums to one-shot everyone and never lose with "x setup" doesnt mean a thing. If you gear for speed+damage you WILL lose a little defense. Take a minute to step back and rethink you're ship components, see where you can change stuff and improve, or negate a Gunships strengths. I've done that, and now my FlashFire is perfectly setup for dogfighting and killing, and my NovaDive is almost finished for capping and chasing off reds.

I'm curious about you other scouts claiming this is happening, go to here and then post your loadout, I bet theres improvements just waiting to help solve your problem.

Interdiction Drive.

What is "a worthless engine component outside of a labyrinth?"

And now I'll take "bad component choices for TWO thousand, Alex."

I will point out that Interdiction drive is MEANT to let a gunship get away, just as distortion and barrel roll actually do. It's just rather bad at the job, with a short range and a minor set of debuffs and buffs that are mostly only able to help you around corners, etc. The concept is cool though.

The thing is this: a very short invulnerability (nearly) bubble is just fine for the game. The short cooldown is a problem, and the general lack of other good shield components is an issue. Gunships have access to Feedback Shield, which hits someone for 600 every like never, and Fortress Shield, which takes your 1.0x shields and shrinks them to 70% without any manner of compensation (quick charge and distortion both offer passive bonuses to help you defensively- one makes you evasive, the other boosts your regen rate). Then the special is to double them, so you can hold still and have a 1.4x shield. That's much worse than Feedback Shield- at least with that you have a 1.0x shield and can move.

The new gunship should have had directional shield on the roster. That would actually be interesting.

Ok, some Gunship math:

Fully upgraded railgun that crits with full charge = 2700

With bypass, shield piercing = 56% (and 100% armor penetration)

1512 damage applied to target's hull

Gunship base hull value = 1350

1 ... shot.

And it is a solid 20% chance too...

Then again, I used the plasma base number, oops... but 2400 with a crit is 1344 straight to hull. There might be something I am missing (like shield piercing is multiplicative not additive or something)

well people are as always willing to lie to keep things in their favor. It is 100% true that you can one shot scouts and I believe you can one shot fully mastered strike fighters as well.

So, when people say "fully mastered" that leaves a lot to talk about. If it is a Pike with the health hull, I don't think a crit can do it. Without a crit, NO STRIKE FIGHTER gets one shot. I'm ok with a crit one shotting people- that's not common or countable, and if you are going to have crits in the game, well, duh.

Fully upgraded railgun that crits with full charge = 2700

Uhhhhh what?

Try 2400. And a slug crit at 2400 with bypass up with one shot plenty of things.

You, I think, looked up plasma, which claims to have an 1800 damage. This is a lie. It's a lie for two reasons-

1- No one uses plasma bro.

2- Plasma deals half the damage (that's 900, or 1350 on a crit) initially. This damage is reduced by damage reduction, and it absolutely does not have any baseline shield pierce. The dot deals the remaining damage, but it is totally reasonable to respond to this damage with many copilot abilities or shield actives.

The net effect is, plama deals less damage to hull than slug under all conditions.

Gunship base hull value = 1350

Lets get real here:

Bypass Slug, full charge, crit talent not crit: This one shots many scouts, but not all. I don't know why it doesn't one shot the ones with large shield, but it doesn't seem to. WILL NOT one shot a gunship or a strike.

Bypass Slug, full charge, crit talent DOES crit: One shots any scout or gunship. I am pretty sure a strike can survive.

Bypass Slug, full charge, damage talent: I swear I saw a scout survive this once. It does not one shot a gunship, but instead leaves it with an annoying drop of health (it would be more if the gunship had health armor). It definitely does not one shot a strike, instead stripping the shield and hitting to about 65%.

I think a lot of the math doesn't work the way people naively assume it does. I routinely one shot scouts, but I also see them survive- only the mastered ones, and I am just about certain they are running lightweight armor (I have to shoot them a zillion times before one shot gets through, which makes me not very sympathetic to their one shot QQ, if one shotting them takes 12 seconds and 4 shots). A scout with health armor shouldn't be one shottable without a crit.

Uhhhhh what?

Try 2400. And a slug crit at 2400 with bypass up with one shot plenty of things.

You, I think, looked up plasma, which claims to have an 1800 damage. This is a lie. It's a lie for two reasons-

1- No one uses plasma bro.

2- Plasma deals half the damage (that's 900, or 1350 on a crit) initially. This damage is reduced by damage reduction, and it absolutely does not have any baseline shield pierce. The dot deals the remaining damage, but it is totally reasonable to respond to this damage with many copilot abilities or shield actives.

I corrected myself like 45 minutes or so before YOU did... but thanks.

Lets get real here:

Bypass Slug, full charge, crit talent not crit: This one shots many scouts, but not all. I don't know why it doesn't one shot the ones with large shield, but it doesn't seem to. WILL NOT one shot a gunship or a strike.

Bypass Slug, full charge, crit talent DOES crit: One shots any scout or gunship. I am pretty sure a strike can survive.

Bypass Slug, full charge, damage talent: I swear I saw a scout survive this once. It does not one shot a gunship, but instead leaves it with an annoying drop of health (it would be more if the gunship had health armor). It definitely does not one shot a strike, instead stripping the shield and hitting to about 65%.

I think a lot of the math doesn't work the way people naively assume it does. I routinely one shot scouts, but I also see them survive- only the mastered ones, and I am just about certain they are running lightweight armor (I have to shoot them a zillion times before one shot gets through, which makes me not very sympathetic to their one shot QQ, if one shotting them takes 12 seconds and 4 shots). A scout with health armor shouldn't be one shottable without a crit.

If you don't think 1344 straight to the hull kills you, fine. I can only lead a horse to water, not force it to drink.

I corrected myself like 45 minutes or so before YOU did... but thanks.

I didn't see page 7.

If you don't think 1344 straight to the hull kills you, fine. I can only lead a horse to water, not force it to drink.

It doesn't, a strike has 1450 hull.

Here's what I wrote:

1- Bypass Slug, full charge, crit talent not crit: This one shots many scouts, but not all. I don't know why it doesn't one shot the ones with large shield, but it doesn't seem to. WILL NOT one shot a gunship or a strike.

2- Bypass Slug, full charge, crit talent DOES crit: One shots any scout or gunship. I am pretty sure a strike can survive.

3- Bypass Slug, full charge, damage talent: I swear I saw a scout survive this once. It does not one shot a gunship, but instead leaves it with an annoying drop of health (it would be more if the gunship had health armor). It definitely does not one shot a strike, instead stripping the shield and hitting to about 65%.

I'm pretty sure you don't disagree. We both agree that a crit will one shot a gunship, but a non crit will not.

I want people to understand what railguns are and are not capable of- and under what condition. You can't choose to crit, and crits do all manner of ludicrous stuff in this game- slug is just one of many.

i love these "gunships are ruining gsf" threads lol

most gunships rarely ever 1 shot someone in a modified ship, majority of time it "feels" like your 1 shotted is when two gunships work together or some other combo.

i run all ship types and have no problems killing most gunships.

And standing still wont help, amount of scouts/fighters go up to gunships come to a stand still lol

think of gunships like snipers in ground pvp, u give them free roam they will kill you and kill u quick. focus them they either crumble or run, either is the outcome u want.

1- Bypass Slug, full charge, crit talent not crit: This one shots many scouts, but not all. I don't know why it doesn't one shot the ones with large shield, but it doesn't seem to. WILL NOT one shot a gunship or a strike.

2- Bypass Slug, full charge, crit talent DOES crit: One shots any scout or gunship. I am pretty sure a strike can survive.

3- Bypass Slug, full charge, damage talent: I swear I saw a scout survive this once. It does not one shot a gunship, but instead leaves it with an annoying drop of health (it would be more if the gunship had health armor). It definitely does not one shot a strike, instead stripping the shield and hitting to about 65%.

1- 1600 * 0.65 = 1040 => Among scouts only those with maxed HP can (barely) surivive (1045 HP)

2- 1600 * 0.65 * 1.5 = 1560 => Strikes are likely to die too, unless they are Pike/Quell with HP plating (1595 HP)

3- 1600 * 1.1 * 0.65 = 1144 => No scout is able to withstand that in theory.

the huge difference UPGRADES make

fixed it for you.

The only ship for me that is making me losing interest on GSF is flashfire/sting.

Gunships are easily counterable either by a scout or another gunship it isnt that hard to take it down, take the damage out of the gunships and there is absolutly no point to fly one whatsoever. Flashfires on the other hand are just totaly broken on their current state. Super evasion, missiles, burst cannons = GG , hard to take down, + super damage, i would really like to know who was the brains behind this ship.

Edited by xxIncubixx

most gunships rarely ever 1 shot someone in a modified ship

Y'know, I can understand wanting to counter argue all these 'gunships are op' threads, but... really?

I mean, really? One shots are 'rare'? What?

Strike fighters are the only ship class to my knowledge able to always survive a hit from a gunship slug railgun regardless of upgrade level or bypass, and they're by no means the most commonly flown ship type, or the least capable when it comes to avoiding getting hit for a second time right afterwards. A scout modified for hull health still doesn't have enough to not explode in one bypass buffed hit.

Edited by Bleeters

Yes, let's just ignore that most strike fighters aren't specced out in such a way that they can't outright ignore 40% of all railgun shots to begin with. Fragility is the price they pay for having higher effective health through outright ignoring a large portion of blaster and rail gun fire.

And yes, one shots are relatively rare. I can think of perhaps three times I've been one shot over the course of around 300 matches. And since one of those times was piloting a gunship still approaching a satellite with only a single gunship (and nothing else) on my radar, I have to say it is very likely many of those 'one shots' were caused by being hit by more than one ship in very short period of time, sometimes by a ship that flanked you that you just didn't see. And not necessarily a gunship at that.

After all, to one shot a scout the gunship generally has to:

1) Bypass

2) Hit them

3) Crit

So either they are a good shot, or you aren't moving around enough.

Poppycock.

I run a scout and a strike, neither of which are maxed out yet. One shots, while in theory are possible, occur only infrequently, personally it's only ever happened to me once and even then it was more due to my lack of attention to where the GS was sniping from that allowed a clear shot that got lucky.

All to often I see players tear-arsing forwards to engage without paying attention to either their own wingmen or the location of enemy ships. The result is usually lots of easy kills for GS working in pairs or teamed up with strike.

Seriously, math hammer all you want but nothing beats awareness, piloting skill, and teamwork.

Now, back to the pew pew pewing...

Poppycock.

I run a scout and a strike, neither of which are maxed out yet. One shots, while in theory are possible, occur only infrequently, personally it's only ever happened to me once and even then it was more due to my lack of attention to where the GS was sniping from that allowed a clear shot that got lucky.

All to often I see players tear-arsing forwards to engage without paying attention to either their own wingmen or the location of enemy ships. The result is usually lots of easy kills for GS working in pairs or teamed up with strike.

Seriously, math hammer all you want but nothing beats awareness, piloting skill, and teamwork.

Now, back to the pew pew pewing...

Either that or they have took prior hull damage and assume their shields will be enough to keep them alive.

Only way I ever one shot anyone is Scouts when I have bypass.

A hit from a fully charged slug railshot (not counting the 10% bonus damage it can potentially have since I think most go for crit chance) with bypass does 1040 damage.

That one shots a scout, and takes a gunship or strike fighter down to 1/3 health.

Without bypass, the same rail shot will do 480 damage, half health on a scout, about 1/3 of a gunship (depending on armor) or strike fighter

With nerfed bypass it'll be 736 damage, 3/4 health on a scout, 1/2 health on a strike fighter or gunship with +health armor, 60% on a gunship with a different armor.

A crit slug railgun with current bypass will do 1560 damage (enough to one shot anyone, 20% chance, which I hear is getting nerfed), with nerfed bypass will do 1104 damage, enough to one shot scouts, and with no bypass 720, which won't one shot anyone.

Bypass and crit chance are being nerfed so, there will probably not be many more one shots, the only one shots will be crits with bypass, on scouts.