Community: What's your opinion on BW's approach to releasing the Rakghoul event?

ViciousFett

Well, it's now Friday night and still no event launch. The patch was deployed on Tuesday morning and we've been twitter teased ever since.

I still don't see why people ever thought the Rakghoul event was going to come before Tuesday. The Bounty event is going on right now. They're not going to have two events running at the same time.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yer, it's all BS!!!

I've got multiple characters here all waiting to do the event. Should be able to complete it, get enough rep for Legend and have all achievements in a week. Then I can come back here and QQ about lack of content.

q.f.t.

I like the teasers, I really don't see the problem.

I hope they do this with all their new events & content.

Tbh it has been teased so much that is not even a surprise anymore. I am completely indifferent to it now, just gonna be another rep grind and pvp ganking session when it comes out. They could have posted an official date in a spoiler maybe ? Then people that like to be teased for long periods of time could just not look when the date would be.

I enjoy the stuff posted by Courtney Woods in the lore section. Last time people moaned they got the info to late. Now it's complaining that bioware teases to early. Meh

Lol! This^^^.

Last time, there wasn't much warning, although we knew it was coming, and there was wall to wall QQ about how people weren't aware of it. Now... they are dropping teasers so players will at least know that it is immenent and they get are getting flak for it? You can't win for trying BW.

The approach is just fine. People just need to relax. It will be here soon enough and then we can start the QQ about how it doesn't live up to the hype. :rolleyes:

Lol! This^^^.

Last time, there wasn't much warning, although we knew it was coming, and there was wall to wall QQ about how people weren't aware of it. Now... they are dropping teasers so players will at least know that it is immenent and they get are getting flak for it? You can't win for trying BW.

Problem is, we still dont know when is it comming. Without the teasers, everyone would just assume it will come after BH and that would be that. So the teasing does not help to get ready for the event in any way, shape or form. At best, the teasers have no effect at all, at worst they make us think the event might be comming earlier that it actually will.

The approach is just fine. People just need to relax.

The aproach is a missed opportunity. The teasers would be great if the event were more of a surprise (started with a single patch, no THORN rep, lockouts etc. a month in advance).

The teasers are also fun from a pure RP perspective, so I guess we need to do what you say - try not to read anything at all into them, and just enjoy them for what they are.

It will be here soon enough and then we can start the QQ about how it doesn't live up to the hype. :rolleyes:

This. Since we already know the event is comming, the teasers do not create suspense, but just increase expectations. Only half the pleasure should be in the anticipation, lets hope that will still be the case here and the event will be great.

But in the future either I'd prefer id they could either make it a real surprise, or include a release date spoiler somewhere so we don't read too much into what should just be a fun RP element.

Problem is, we still dont know when is it comming. Without the teasers, everyone would just assume it will come after BH and that would be that. So the teasing does not help to get ready for the event in any way, shape or form. At best, the teasers have no effect at all, at worst they make us think the event might be comming earlier that it actually will.

The aproach is a missed opportunity. The teasers would be great if the event were more of a surprise (started with a single patch, no THORN rep, lockouts etc. a month in advance).

The teasers are also fun from a pure RP perspective, so I guess we need to do what you say - try not to read anything at all into them, and just enjoy them for what they are.

This. Since we already know the event is comming, the teasers do not create suspense, but just increase expectations. Only half the pleasure should be in the anticipation, lets hope that will still be the case here and the event will be great.

But in the future either I'd prefer id they could either make it a real surprise, or include a release date spoiler somewhere so we don't read too much into what should just be a fun RP element.

The teasers do nothing more than make you aware that it is coming very soon. That is all. Nothing more needs to be read into it. The fact that the teasing doesn't provide a date makes it a tease. So, now you know it is coming, and logically, it would seem after the BH event. What more do you need?

BTW, the teasers do work if the anticipation in this thread is any indication.

I, personally, do agree that a surprise is just fine. But... players, apparently, hate surprises. So... it is a lose lose for BW, but I certainly do appreciate their efforts.

Yer, it's all BS!!!

I've got multiple characters here all waiting to do the event. Should be able to complete it, get enough rep for Legend and have all achievements in a week. Then I can come back here and QQ about lack of content.

/giglesnort

seriously though, i personally hate surprises becasue they mean you may miss out on content. the fact that I didn't realize at first that original event was going on, is basically the reason why I don't have all the armor sets from it. not enough time to complete the things.

surprise limited time events are unfriendly to the bulk of the gaming population, and that's just bad design IMO.

The teasers do nothing more than make you aware that it is coming very soon. That is all. Nothing more needs to be read into it. The fact that the teasing doesn't provide a date makes it a tease. So, now you know it is coming, and logically, it would seem after the BH event. What more do you need?

BTW, the teasers do work if the anticipation in this thread is any indication.

I, personally, do agree that a surprise is just fine. But... players, apparently, hate surprises. So... it is a lose lose for BW, but I certainly do appreciate their efforts.

/Agree.

Surprise players.. they complain.

Don't surprise players.. they complain.

There is a pattern here... but it does not appear to be with Bioware. :D

As for my personal opinion on the topic... events should be surprises. And while some people complain before hand... most love the events once they pop and they see things they did not expect either. Of course we still get the obligatory "this event sucks" threads too... but what are you going to do.. you can't change human nature. :)

Edited by Andryah

Lol! This^^^.

The approach is just fine. People just need to relax. It will be here soon enough and then we can start the QQ about how it doesn't live up to the hype. :rolleyes:

Last time was nearly the same. Formal dev comments on the website about working towards an "event." And then tweets began from the then-current mouthpieces via twitter, at least two days in advance of the event live launch. These tweets in turn spawned numerous threads on the forums.

If you missed it, you really weren't paying attention. Or at least you were concerned enough to describe yourself as a completest interested in the game, but lacked any interest in making even a cursory viewing of the game's well-known and established communication channels. This just tells me that people weren't so interested, felt entitled to completism despite the (very) minimal effort involved, and like to qq after the fact more than anything else.

I save my sympathies for those who were interested and knew, but whose real life schedule simply wasn't able to accommodate the necessary daily unlocks that were required. It truly is a shame that they weren't able to complete a set.

I mean, jeez. Watch "@SWTOR" these next two days; it will likely strike tomorrow morning if the first is any indication.

Yeah, two events, one frequent one not, being run at the same time would be MADNESS! I mean... unless it's Gree/Life Day... :rolleyes:

it was already addressed earlier in a thread.

throwing snowballs as your only activity does not an event make. they just took a life day, created a few things players could buy and then tied it into an actual event - gree resurgence by making one of the rewards from lifeday require both currencies.

lifeday had no quests, no dedicated reputation, nothing. it cannot be described as an event even if you really really REALLY want to.

Rakghoul event on the other hand seems to involve about as much to it as gree. so plopping it down at the same time as bounty week - means people might have to skip one in order to do the other. plop them down on separate weeks? and they don't have to.

Yeah, two events, one frequent one not, being run at the same time would be MADNESS! I mean... unless it's Gree/Life Day... :rolleyes:

Life Day is a Holiday not an event. Throwing Snowballs requires no effort at all compared to doing quests and earning rep. Plus it was tied into the Gree Event.

You know what's funny?

In the recent Insider, Andrew Horwitz (Associate Producer) says: "In January, we've got a new event coming. I'm not gonna tell you exactly what it is, i just wanna tease this for a bit. It's some really iconic stuff there..." It seems he's absolutely unaware of all the Rakghoul event achievements being added to the game long ago, as well as of the THORN reputation vendor on PTS. Judging by Cory Butler not correcting him, i guess he's just as oblivious.

A good example of how the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Edited by Trollokdamus

I'd prefer it if events intended to be a surprised were not leaked to testers or other news sites.

If it's going to be a surprise, I want to log in one day and be like "Holy crap what the heck is going on!?" instead of waiting its launch since I know it's obviously coming.

That's one thing I don't like about reading things on dulfy or from the PTS. While part of me likes to see what's coming, the other part wants to experience it first hand when it is introduced into the game.

Well, it's now Friday night and still no event launch. The patch was deployed on Tuesday morning and we've been twitter teased ever since.

I understand that the dev's intention was to make this event a surprise, like the original one, but when most of the community is already in the know and expecting it I feel this method is just cruel and annoying. I respect the effort to add some RP flavor with the Twitter and Facebook posts, but some of us would like to be able to allot time to the event in advance rather than constantly having to check to see if it's begun yet.

What do you guys think? Should BW be more transparent with all their events, or do you like not being in the loop?:rak_02:

"Cruel and annoying." LOL It's a computer game, bro. It'll be OK.

Life Day is a Holiday not an event. Throwing Snowballs requires no effort at all compared to doing quests and earning rep. Plus it was tied into the Gree Event.

Wow, if you put any effort into playing any part of this game, you are doing it wrong.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I am looking forward to the new Rakghoul event, but I was expecting that it would be added after Bounty week was over.

Though I realize that a lot of folks are no longer very interested in Bounty week, I am still working on getting my reputation up and doing it on my newer alts so I am glad that the two events aren't running concurrently. And I'm sure I'm not the only person that isn't "done" with Bounty week. ;)

And I'm sure I'm not the only person that isn't "done" with Bounty week. ;)

You're right, there are many other people like you that still haven't hit Legend with the BBA. But it's not like it won't be back next month, and the month after that, and the month after that.....

Making legend soon clearly hasn't been a priority for you.

Edited by ViciousFett

You're right, there are many other people like you that still haven't hit Legend with the BBA. But it's not like it won't be back next month, and the month after that, and the month after that.....

Making legend soon clearly hasn't been a priority for you.

You should stop being rude to people because they don't like you and all the other locusts who play MMO's.

You should stop being rude to people because they don't like you and all the other locusts who play MMO's.

wut? I'm not the one that continually keeps re posting just for the sake of disagreeing.

It's clear that opinions are divided on this issue, but let me ask you this; If half of the community is annoyed by this event's delivery method should they bother doing it again?:rak_02:

wut? I'm not the one that continually keeps re posting just for the sake of disagreeing.

It's clear that opinions are divided on this issue, but let me ask you this; If half of the community is annoyed by this event's delivery method should they bother doing it again?:rak_02:

Half the community? These forums are tiny fraction of the actual playerbase that plays this game. You can't say half the community and only base it on responses in the forums. Neither does Bioware. They've stated countless times that the forums are a very small portion of the players of this game.

Going to assume it will launch tomorrow seeing that EA just likes to be annoying, poking the bear sort-of-speak and not telling us a specific, now-late January date.

According to my computer calendar we're still in the middle of January. So the release would still be on schedule.