• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I hadn't read this thread in a while and just had to say that this is the kind of analysis that made me want to create content. You rock and this thread should be part of a slide show that scrolls while the game installs...

So all 186, 192, 198 that are buyable with comms and changeable with tokens can have the mods ripped and REd ?

No, 198 aren't currently REable.

And I didn't try 186 but I don't think that they are REable because, just like the 156 when RotHC launched, they aren't operations tier gear and obtainable by REing the blue 178.

No, 198 aren't currently REable.

And I didn't try 186 but I don't think that they are REable because, just like the 156 when RotHC launched, they aren't operations tier gear and obtainable by REing the blue 178.

You can get 186s through regular crafting -- buy 168 (green) schematic from trainer, RE to blue 178, RE to purple 186. The crafted gear has a few very minor variations from the dropped 186 (NiM) DF/DP gear, and is either as good as (armoring, hilts, barrels, mods) or better than 186 comm gear.

• 3 weeks later...
You can get 186s through regular crafting -- buy 168 (green) schematic from trainer, RE to blue 178, RE to purple 186. The crafted gear has a few very minor variations from the dropped 186 (NiM) DF/DP gear, and is either as good as (armoring, hilts, barrels, mods) or better than 186 comm gear.

Thank you for the clarification!

I have modified the first line of the OP to be more specific in that the information in the OP is specific to the current top tier craftables: rating 192.

As stated, 186 is acquired through the trainers.

side note: I wish I could change the title of this thread, but sadly I cannot.

Edited by psandak

• 1 month later...
So can I buy the purple gear on Yavin 4 with basic comms and reverse engineer that stuff for schematics? When I pull the armorings and mods from the gear it says "no research available". Does that mean it can't be reverse engineered?

So can I buy the purple gear on Yavin 4 with basic comms and reverse engineer that stuff for schematics? When I pull the armorings and mods from the gear it says "no research available". Does that mean it can't be reverse engineered?

Nope. The gear you can buy with basics is 186, which is learned the 'old' way, by buying the green 168 at the crew skill vendor, reing those 168 for the blue 178 and reing those for the purple 186.

Currently the directly reable gear is purple 146, 150, 162, 168, 180, 192.

Nope. The gear you can buy with basics is 186, which is learned the 'old' way, by buying the green 168 at the crew skill vendor, reing those 168 for the blue 178 and reing those for the purple 186.

Currently the directly reable gear is purple 146, 150, 162, 168, 180, 192.

Ahhh ok, thank you very much. :-)

But you could go to the elite commendations vendor. The hilts, barrels, armorings, mods and enhancements bought there are reable. But only the hilts and barrels are actually useful.

Well what I'm trying to do is at least get my Cybertech guy to the point where I don't have to farm comms on Yavin 4 over and over to upgrade gear on all my toons and companions. I'd like to be able to just stick some of those items into some gear and not repeat dailies over and over.

Well what I'm trying to do is at least get my Cybertech guy to the point where I don't have to farm comms on Yavin 4 over and over to upgrade gear on all my toons and companions. I'd like to be able to just stick some of those items into some gear and not repeat dailies over and over.

Then 186 will be best, because a single 192 item need millions worth of mats.

You should also get the 186 schematics on your archaeologist for the enhancements and relics, because it you only have armorings and mods you'll still need enhancements, which can't be bought seperately, so you'd still need loads of comms. And relics can't be bought with comms, so that is quite useful as well.

Then 186 will be best, because a single 192 item need millions worth of mats.

You should also get the 186 schematics on your archaeologist for the enhancements and relics, because it you only have armorings and mods you'll still need enhancements, which can't be bought seperately, so you'd still need loads of comms. And relics can't be bought with comms, so that is quite useful as well.

I was just about to waste a whole lot of comms until I read this lol. Awesome info man! Thanks!

• 5 months later...

That's very interesting advice. Thank you.

Now, the reason why I am trying to obtain a schematics, particularly versatile hilts, for my artificer is that I was indeed of the opinion that it would be cheaper to craft them than to buy them. Following your advice I looked up the resources for the one item I really care about: Advanced Versatile Hilt 42 (and the respective barrel - I'd give one of those even to my darkness assassin tank. Endurance is not the problem, I don't nee more hit points to tank, I need defense, armor rating, absorb rating and shield rating.)

It's really a bit frustrating. You need a Dark Matter Catalyst. The rest is no problem.

The reason why I want those hilts is because:

a) I don't want to downgrade in order to retain the ability to make up for undergeared team mates in HMs. Including Lost Island with bonus boss.

b) I want back to using my own lightsaber shells instead of using non-mod lightsabers as is. I didn't unlock all the cartel items to not use them.

c) I like the thought that my characters are self-reliant and can equip themselves.

However, the Dark Matter Catalyst can only be acquired through operations, which defeats point c), since there is no way for me to acquire one. And that means I might as well buy what hilts and barrels I need from the GTN. The price for the "42" versions are current 1.3 million on my server.

I would not be surprised if many players thought like me: The frustrating thing is, I can craft a rating 216 main hand weapon, the primary component is a strategic resource matrix and that is earned through conquest. I can fulfil my personal conquest goals. But I cannot create a hilt in order to use my existing lightsaber shells. And that annoys the hell out of me.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

That's very interesting advice. Thank you.

Now, the reason why I am trying to obtain a schematics, particularly versatile hilts, for my artificer is that I was indeed of the opinion that it would be cheaper to craft them than to buy them. Following your advice I looked up the resources for the one item I really care about: Advanced Versatile Hilt 42 (and the respective barrel - I'd give one of those even to my darkness assassin tank. Endurance is not the problem, I don't nee more hit points to tank, I need defense, armor rating, absorb rating and shield rating.)

It's really a bit frustrating. You need a Dark Matter Catalyst. The rest is no problem.

The reason why I want those hilts is because:

a) I don't want to downgrade in order to retain the ability to make up for undergeared team mates in HMs. Including Lost Island with bonus boss.

b) I want back to using my own lightsaber shells instead of using non-mod lightsabers as is. I didn't unlock all the cartel items to not use them.

c) I like the thought that my characters are self-reliant and can equip themselves.

However, the Dark Matter Catalyst can only be acquired through operations, which defeats point c), since there is no way for me to acquire one. And that means I might as well buy what hilts and barrels I need from the GTN. The price for the "42" versions are current 1.3 million on my server.

I would not be surprised if many players thought like me: The frustrating thing is, I can craft a rating 216 main hand weapon, the primary component is a strategic resource matrix and that is earned through conquest. I can fulfil my personal conquest goals. But I cannot create a hilt in order to use my existing lightsaber shells. And that annoys the hell out of me.

Ther's not much you can do sadly.

IIRC you should be able to RE the 216 lightsaber to 220, but you would still be unable to use modded sabers.

Only real way is to run operations. In storymode the final boss drops a DMC, in HM and NIM every boss drops a DMC.

I'm sure you can find plenty of SM groups if you say you'll pass on all gear if you get the mats.

• 2 months later...
Ok many thanks.

While we're at it and seeing we're both online, I just realized some shells could be RE'd? Which ones? Vendor ones? Is it also true of weapons?

It is my understanding that shells can no longer be REed for schematics. They removed that "feature" with 4.0. But even then it was only shells you got from tokens, not comms/crsytals vendors.

Those who managed to get shell schematics this way got to keep them, but they cannot be learned anymore.

Edited by psandak

It is my understanding that shells can no longer be REed for schematics. They removed that "feature" with 4.0. But even then it was only shells you got from tokens, not comms/crsytals vendors.

Those who managed to get shell schematics this way got to keep them, but they cannot be learned anymore.

Oh, bummer, thanks a lot anyways. Always top notch!

Oh hey, I was able to change a thread title yesterday, maybe it has recently changed.

Edited by BenduKundalini

Oh, bummer, thanks a lot anyways. Always top notch!

Oh hey, I was able to change a thread title yesterday, maybe it has recently changed.

Did you do so before any replies? That seems to be the caveat in my experience. That being said, I tried again and failed again :(