DERP strikes SWTOR Login Servers

JetSetter

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean they have access to our login info?

No, its a DDos attack, not a security breach. DDoS is simply flooding a target with junk data to make the target server or node choke... they get nothing out of the attempt.. well other than the rage of the people who lost service.

I'm going to rest easy tonight knowing that the government health care site could handle such an illogical intrusion.

/overflowing with sarcasm

I'm sure these kids aren't even aware that the ACA site exists. They don't seem to be the type to keep up with healthcare matters, after all....

And here we are adding fuel the fire. Popularity and recognition is what gives them their power. Just accept what's happening, and let them fall to the wayside, where the feds will later take them down and throw the book at them behind close doors with no cameras or lawyers present. I have no patience or respect for any of this, especially when someone with this kind of power would use it for little more than very annoying pranks, rather than targetting real and actual threats to humanity as a whole. I mean, game servers? Really? That's the best you can come up with? THAT'S what you want to do with your abilities?

This.

All I can say is FINALLY! The crash is irritating, the lack of EAware response is INFURIATING. The server statuses aren't even right. We can't login to a server so why are they all showing as up? Why not tell us wth is going on?!?!

The servers are probably still running fine, it's just the connections to the servers that are overloaded. It's like Disneyland being open but the only road leading to it is blocked due to a major traffic jam. If you could pluck in your computer between the game servers and the routers that are being overloaded you could play as usual.

The servers are probably still running fine, it's just the connections to the servers that are overloaded. It's like Disneyland being open but the only road leading to it is blocked due to a major traffic jam. If you could pluck in your computer between the game servers and the routers that are being overloaded you could play as usual.

I think a lot of people stayed in. When I logged back in, a lot of people didn't even know what was going on.

I think a lot of people stayed in. When I logged back in, a lot of people didn't even know what was going on.

That would also be the case in my Disneyland example. Those that are already there wouldn't know about the traffic jam.

What I do not quite unerstand though is the fact that several people here reported that they were kicked due to lag. I don't know anything about the SWTOR server infrastructure but I assume that the login servers are centralized (probably in the U.S.) while - afaik - the game servers are located at U.S. west coast, east coast and in Ireland. If the login servers happen to be in the same subnet as e.g. the west or east coast servers then people on those servers would experience lag while the other two areas may be totally unaffected.

Of course I could be totally wrong with my assumptions.

That would also be the case in my Disneyland example. Those that are already there wouldn't know about the traffic jam.

What I do not quite unerstand though is the fact that several people here reported that they were kicked due to lag. I don't know anything about the SWTOR server infrastructure but I assume that the login servers are centralized (probably in the U.S.) while - afaik - the game servers are located at U.S. west coast, east coast and in Ireland. If the login servers happen to be in the same subnet as e.g. the west or east coast servers then people on those servers would experience lag while the other two areas may be totally unaffected.

Whether it was due to the "hacking" or something else (we all know that the word "lag" is thrown around simply as a synonym for "bad performance"), I was booted from the game to the server select screen twice and it took me maybe 10 minutes to get back in each time. So either it was a coincidence or the "hacking" did indeed cause people to be dropped from the game.

Holy **** it has been a long time since I heard someone THAT entitled. In what universe are "Ruined a nights fun" and "lock them up forever" considered equal?

These guys are ******es and I hope they get caught and put in jail for breaking the law, but man have some sense.

My nights and obviously the other gentleman you responded to is obviously worth a couple of lowly basement dwelling serfs lives, It is or right no responsobility to grace the game with our radiance and they are blocking YOUR enjoyment of our prescence.

I am not even sure i want to put people in jail for being useless script losers, its like validating them and letting them feel like proper hackers, a good beating and a 3 month hospital stay thereafter is much more suiting.

They are NOT hackers.

They are a numerous bunch of kiddies with an oversimplified auto-DDoS tool.

Hackers don't attack innocent gaming servers.

They hack into banking accounts and government mainframes, places that contain sensitive and valuable info.

................Not that I would know anything about it.

Hackers don't attack innocent gaming servers.

They hack into banking accounts and government mainframes, places that contain sensitive and valuable info.

................Not that I would know anything about it.

I'm sure you don't. Real hackers work for governments or large multi-nationals.

Hey since these guys are hacker my credit card info is not in danger right?

Just checking

Nothing got hacked, so relax.

All they did was create an imitation of many people requesting something from a website. The server, behaving like a good server, tries to accommodate them, and gets swamped in all those requests, rendering it inoperable.

It is more annoying than dangerous and pretty much done once the IPs of the incoming requests are identified and blocked