Breasts, Butts, Big Hair and Lightsabres?

Samaul

If you strictly mean the OT then that's kind of silly for 2 reasons. First, there were only 3 Jedi total, all of them male and 2 Sith, both of them male. Second, they were made in a different era in real life terms, you cannot possibly hold the standards of the 70s to todays because if you look at it from that point of view, the OT was almost considered **** in the 30s.

And I guess you missed me mentioning Aayla in EP 3, who was at the time a Jedi master, wearing a tank top and leather pants. Though looking at your post, it's hardly suprising you would only consider the movies, with predictable hyperbole tacked in. How bout you count the number of female Jedi or Sith you see on screen in the movies, then consider just how much merit the argument has.

Well sure, in martial arts you need to wear clothing that is appropriate to your fighting style.

Leather pants and a tight top provide friction protection from falls, and girls have sensitives in the upper area that can get in the way of their fighting moves, hence the whole amazon archery amputations of olde thing.

I did not see Mace wearing skeletor's cod piece and he-man's top, nor did I see yoda in a miniskirt.

I also cant remember any of the troopers in slave outfits, nor can I remember any imperial officers wearing mandalorian boots and silk robes.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not see Mace wearing skeletor's cod piece and he-man's top, nor did I see yoda in a miniskirt.

I also cant remember any of the troopers in slave outfits, nor can I remember any imperial officers wearing mandalorian boots and silk robes.

Yet I remember a Jedi apprentice and a smuggler wearing Storm Trooper armour in the first movie. ;D

I get what your saying though and if it was upto me, I would have it like it was at launch but since it's not, I don't let it bother me. What someone *else* wears means nothing to me. As long as my Guardian has the Jedi Valiant set while Scourge has Eradicator set, Kira a mix of Valiant with Recovered Hero lower parts and no dark core sabers I could not care less.

Do you know why? Because people who dress in bikinis etc are like people with idiotic names. Put them on ignore and move on. They basically advertize that they have nothing of worth to say nor to contribute to anything anyway and you reduce the chance of having to deal with their idiocy in group settings as group finder doesn't pair you up with people you have on ignore.

As stated, I understand I am the minority here, most people do not want their experience to look or feel like the movies, I get that, I understand that it doesn't HAVE to, but it DID at launch, and does not now, and I don't like it.

Actually...., it never really did look like the movies at launch either, because Star Wars: The Old Republic isn't based on the lore of the movies, but on the lore of the time a few mellinnia before the movies.

April 4 is right around the corner, so have fun with all this.

I know what is in store for me in the future here, I can and will vote with my wallet.

But you have to wait the couple months to rid of me, on my server at least. Until then, you can boast the changes you paid for, and I can poo-poo the changes I have paid for.

I played the beta for that game, did you know that there are butt and breast sliders in character creation...

Just saying

Edited by lordspyder

Leather pants and a tight top provide friction protection from falls, and girls have sensitives in the upper area that can get in the way of their fighting moves, hence the whole amazon archery amputations of olde thing.

If you're referring to the breasts, there also is the way of simply wearing a sports bustier. Professional female boxers do that... and little over it, if anything. Well, actually pretty much all sportswomen.

Beach Volleyball players jump pretty high and fall pretty deep, which puts their breasts under a lot of stress. And I think we all know what kind of outfit they wear.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Actually...., it never really did look like the movies at launch either, because Star Wars: The Old Republic isn't based on the lore of the movies, but on the lore of the time a few mellinnia before the movies.

Not remodeled, of course, but *MOST* of the outfits were very, very heavily influenced, if not blatantly copied, from the movies.

I mean, Moffs? They didn't exist yet in any material until SW:TOR. The imperial uniforms? Almost copy/paste from the OT. Ship design? All imperial vessels in the game heavily look like the OT ships. Colour the imperial trooper armour white and slightly change the helmets and you have storm troopers. Imperial Guard? So, yeah, let's be real here. SWTOR looks 10 times more like the movies than either KOTOR game.

Not remodeled, of course, but *MOST* of the outfits were very, very heavily influenced, if not blatantly copied, from the movies.

I mean, Moffs? They didn't exist yet in any material until SW:TOR. The imperial uniforms? Almost copy/paste from the OT. Ship design? All imperial vessels in the game heavily look like the OT ships. Colour the imperial trooper armour white and slightly change the helmets and you have storm troopers. Imperial Guard? So, yeah, let's be real here. SWTOR looks 10 times more like the movies than either KOTOR game.

Basic design similarities, sure. But I can't say that I felt like I was plunked down in the middle of the OT and was expecting to see Vader and Ob-wan fighting during any of my chars' story lines. And the similarities surely aren't enough for people to think that they should have been able to immerse themselves in OT as opposed to the era when the game takes place.

Yet I remember a Jedi apprentice and a smuggler wearing Storm Trooper armour in the first movie. ;D

I get what your saying though and if it was upto me, I would have it like it was at launch but since it's not, I don't let it bother me. What someone *else* wears means nothing to me. As long as my Guardian has the Jedi Valiant set while Scourge has Eradicator set, Kira a mix of Valiant with Recovered Hero lower parts and no dark core sabers I could not care less.

Do you know why? Because people who dress in bikinis etc are like people with idiotic names. Put them on ignore and move on. They basically advertize that they have nothing of worth to say nor to contribute to anything anyway and you reduce the chance of having to deal with their idiocy in group settings as group finder doesn't pair you up with people you have on ignore.

That is a reply I can get behind.

I suppose you have a good way of using the ignore feature, and since I am doubtful swtor won't nosedive gsf into the floor, it really is a good way to go about it until April.

I never had any problem with nudity or harsh sexuality, but I do have a problem with it in my star wars, and this was a thread on the topic and I replied, perhaps a bad idea for sanity's sake, but I couldn't help it.

So don't get me wrong, if someone made a game called topless axe-fighter, I would totally play it with a smile on my face, and as such, the game some may have figured out that I will likely choose of the bunch of debuts in April to drain my bank account, does have perversion, but in it's case that is just fine, as it's framework supports that.

I am no prude, I just want my old republic back.

But as the crazy man says, get with the times and move on, and unless dissuaded by whatever happens in swtor between now and then, I plan to do just that.

Basic design similarities, sure. But I can't say that I felt like I was plunked down in the middle of the OT and was expecting to see Vader and Ob-wan fighting during any of my chars' story lines. And the similarities surely aren't enough for people to think that they should have been able to immerse themselves in OT as opposed to the era when the game takes place.

That's not the point. The point was aesthetics. The game looks more like the movies than KOTOR 1 or 2 ever dod, I said nothing beyond that.

I never had any problem with nudity or harsh sexuality, but I do have a problem with it in my star wars,

Objectively speaking, even the skimpiest outfit or implied sexual innuendo in TOR flat out pales in comparison to many other widely available forms/mediums of entertainment. To put it another way, there is currently no sexual content in TOR that I know of which would warrant the MPAA "R" or the ESRB "M" ratings. If anything, the implied (sometimes overt) violence and the oftenly graphical/explicit general chat are far better examples to cite if one were to argue that TOR is becoming too "adult" and as a consequence, losing its family oriented atmosphere.

Frankly speaking, personal tolerance levels (which can vary greatly) can not overcome the established industry rating systems designed to categorized and define such mature/adult content thresholds. Of course there are still flaws within those systems but it is as close to *standard setting* as we are going to get and they certainly hold far more credibility than personal views. Given the above reasons, I personally can not bring myself to the conclusion that "nudity or harsh sexuality" has spiraled out of control in TOR by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by Oneirophrenia

LOL you make it sound like that was the focus of the plot!!!

Those were tiny little pieces of the movies, certainly not the bulk, and hardly justifies sexualization of the brand, as I said moot so I dont know why I reply, other than to say, I was a young boy, and I watched it with my young sister.

Neither of us thought it was a romance, both of us thought it was a "fighting movie in space from the future".

I watched the movies as a young adult. For the record, I dislike romance novels, and like hard sci-fi. Guess what? On the scale of hardness of science fiction from 1 to 10, Star Wars is always placed at 1. Or even zero, to exaggerate how much of a soap opera it is. Yes, young boys are often clueless about human relationships, especially when some fighting happens nearby to distract them. But now that we are all (supposedly) older, we can apply some grown-up metrics and rubrics and criteria, to measure what the genre of some piece of media really is, beyond "featuring fights with glowing sticks" or "having kisses." Star Wars movies are soap operas in space. Because they are largely about human drama, relationships, and feelings.

I watched the movies as a young adult. For the record, I dislike romance novels, and like hard sci-fi. Guess what? On the scale of hardness of science fiction from 1 to 10, Star Wars is always placed at 1. Or even zero, to exaggerate how much of a soap opera it is. Yes, young boys are often clueless about human relationships, especially when some fighting happens nearby to distract them. But now that we are all (supposedly) older, we can apply some grown-up metrics and rubrics and criteria, to measure what the genre of some piece of media really is, beyond "featuring fights with glowing sticks" or "having kisses." Star Wars movies are soap operas in space. Because they are largely about human drama, relationships, and feelings.

Star Wars is termed a space opera. It is not hard sci fi at all. Babylon 5, yes, Star Trek barely. Romance is a part of life. Not directed at you, but this whole thread is absurd. No one has the right to tell someone how to dress thier character. The outfits might be skimpy but there is no naughty bits showing. Nothing truly offensive. I am more offended by some of the racial and sexist remarks in chat and on these forums. If you really hate the way the game allows people to dress to the point I've seen here, maybe you need a new game.

I **** you not, on Korriban. On GC. The whole Jane Austin. Whether they were trolling or whether they were being serious, didn't care, wasn't hanging around to find out. I died a little inside, and logged off and deleted that character quicker than you can say 'swift exit'. I still feel sullied by the entire experience to this day - irrational as that may sound.

As a Jane Austen fan, I have to question what they were saying that bothered you so much. Were they being polite to each other? I can see how old fashioned manners might well freak out people who are used to starter planet general chat.

That's because Star Wars isn't science fiction. It's a space opera. Some form of fantastic adventure. The story might have worked roughly for some kind of pirate movie as well...

Objectively speaking, even the skimpiest outfit or implied sexual innuendo in TOR flat out pales in comparison to many other widely available forms/mediums of entertainment. To put it another way, there is currently no sexual content in TOR that I know of which would warrant the MPAA "R" or the ESRB "M" ratings. If anything, the implied (sometimes overt) violence and the oftenly graphical/explicit general chat are far better examples to cite if one were to argue that TOR is becoming too "adult" and as a consequence, losing its family oriented atmosphere.

Frankly speaking, personal tolerance levels (which can vary greatly) can not overcome the established industry rating systems designed to categorized and define such mature/adult content thresholds. Of course there are still flaws within those systems but it is as close to *standard setting* as we are going to get and they certainly hold far more credibility than personal views. Given the above reasons, I personally can not bring myself to the conclusion that "nudity or harsh sexuality" has spiraled out of control in TOR by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't think that the degree of sexual innuendo in the game is disputed. The problem is rather inappropriate context and sheer amount in which players bring it. In part that's a fundamental problem of MMOs in which every single one is the protagonist of their own story.

If we take Satele Shan as an example: Her outfit works for her (I think the thigh high boots are a little exaggerated and the chest part always looks like there about two inches of empty space above her breasts in the costume, but all in all, I like it a lot), but if everyone dressed up in a similar fashion it would make Jedi less plausible as a whole. There is nothing wrong Aayla Secura in Star Wars: Episode III, but if all Jedi looked like this, it wouldn't work.

I don't think that the degree of sexual innuendo in the game is disputed. The problem is rather inappropriate context and sheer amount in which players bring it. In part that's a fundamental problem of MMOs in which every single one is the protagonist of their own story.

Well there is a cutscene on Coruscant in a dancers club were there is a lot of sensuality, and I'm personally surprised it got past the censors. I'm not a prude, and it actually doesn't bother me, apart from the dancer not being real (sad face), but it is surprisingly explicit for a game rated for teens.

This!

Emphasis mine.

The official game overview talks a lot about ownership and customization:

• "puts you at the center of your own story-driven Star Wars™ saga"
  • "become the hero of your own Star Wars adventure"
  • "become the hero of your personal Star Wars saga"

So if you give people that sort of freedom, some will run around in bikinis, many will have funky hairdos or hats, and everyone will wear giant guns or swords to a cafe. Now we know.

This!

Emphasis mine.

The official game overview talks a lot about ownership and customization:

• "puts you at the center of your own story-driven Star Wars™ saga"
  • "become the hero of your own Star Wars adventure"
  • "become the hero of your personal Star Wars saga"

So if you give people that sort of freedom, some will run around in bikinis, many will have funky hairdos or hats, and everyone will wear giant guns or swords to a cafe. Now we know.

Those should be taken down with the stance of no more class stories though.

Here's what's ridiculous about this current argument:

The lore of the movies (especially the first three movies) are no longer all Star Wars is about.

The very reason a huge number of people love Star Wars is because the lore is so incredibly expansive now. Movies, TV shows, books, comics, video games all added to the lore and are all considered canon.

So when people stomp their feet about something seen in the lore outside the movies and say it isn't Star Wars... they're in the minority. Besides, by that very logic, this game isn't "real Star Wars" since it takes place thousands of years before the movies...

Also, I run a pretty large RP guild, have been RPing in MMOs for the past 7 years, and am a dedicated RPer that always plays on RP servers. Statistically, RPers are more likely than random raiders and PVPers to dress according to logical canon. Yes, some people use RP for sex and nothing more but they are the ones who give RPers a bad name, not all that exists/the majority.

If you go to the fleet cantinas or Nar Shaddaa cantina, you're going to see people dancing in revealing clothes and flirting IC. (Guess what, if you go to a bar IRL you're going to see those same things, and bars with scantily clad people present are also movie-canon.) But I never step foot in those places for RP and so therefore never encounter sex in the open or people behaving ridiculously. And if I ever do encounter those things, I just go elsewhere.

People were 'at it' on general chat. It made my skin crawl. Thus I discovered RP is not for me.

RP is not all about sex. I think it's sad that you let the reportable actions of a few make you biased against all RPers. This is not an adult MMO and therefore sex in public is a reportable offense and it is not what most RPers are doing. When you find something distasteful, ignore, report, and move on.

For what it's worth I have literally NEVER seen sex in general chat. People don't even RP in the general chat of my server.

Edited by Beltane

If anything, the implied (sometimes overt) violence and the oftenly graphical/explicit general chat are far better examples to cite if one were to argue that TOR is becoming too "adult" and as a consequence, losing its family oriented atmosphere.

I just wanted to address this as well. TOR never had a family oriented atmosphere! It is rated T for Teen.

ESRB Definition of Teen rating:

TEEN

Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.

None of that is out of line with what is seen in TOR.

If the game was marketed as being for kids you might have a point, but considering teens wear revealing clothing and love violent movies/video games and swear every other word, some bikinis and incredibly rare flirting/kissing in cinematics is not detracting from any "family" atmosphere since the family atmosphere never existed.

I signed up to play Star Wars, not Sleaze Wars. You are appealing to the wrong customer base with the nearly-naked Sleaze avatars BioWare. You are going to lose a lot of good customers who dont want to see it. I know my girlfriend doesn't want me to see it. This may sound a bit coarse but I did not bring the coarseness into this game, you did BioWare. If I wanted to see that crap in an mmo, I would play an adult mmo where you could have your every sick, twisted fantasy fulfilled. I lead a family friendly guild. There is nothing family friendly about sleaze wars.

For the record, I dont have a problem with the following game content or features:

Same sex companion/master relationships.

Skimpy costume wearing club dancers or even club dancer costumes as long as those costumes look like star wars costumes from the star wars canon.

I do have a problem with sleazy elements from pop culture being injected into SWTOR including big hair, jog bras, tube tops, string bikinis etc. I am not interested in playing some cheezy, teasing adult MMO. Those elements just demean a great game and canon. I want EA/BW to show some respect for the game.

To make matters worse, I play on an RP server. I am a rolepolayer, I lead an rp guild. You are turning the game into a joke with this Sleaze wars crap. Half-naked club dancers I can understand but jog-bras on jedi and sith? Seriously? Please remove this crap from the game or at the very least RP servers. I am a star wars fanatic but I am no prude. I have read all of the novels and graphic novels on ToR. There is nothing canon about Breasts butts, big hair, string bikinis and lightsabres.

You are going to lose a lot of good paying customers over this BioWare, me and my guild for starters. Enough of this crap, do something about this BW. We have a profanity filter, how about a sleaze filter? Make it client only, allow us to freaking turn it off or something. And please, please remove sleaze-wars from RP servers.

For the record, I am not alone in these sentiments. I lead a multi-gaming community with over 2,000 members in WoW, Guild Wars 2, PlanetSide 2 and SWTOR. The leaders and officers of our guilds are in broad agreement with me on this. We have a lot of couples and families in our organization. Our organization is a family-friendly organization and we will not support any game that is not family-friendly.

Ok, just because someone else has different values than you, does NOT give you the right to impose your puritan values on someone else. The universe is a big place, if you are so ethno-centric then go home and play on your own planet only.

Besides, families on other planets also agree their culture is normal and that you are acceptable as long as you recognize that in a democracy such as the republic you value diversity and tolerance of others. Heck Jedi died protecting your rights to express your opinion and you should respect the rights of others to express theirs. It will be a sad day in the republic when only one set of values is allowed, one could even say draconian. So if you love only your values join the empire, be evil and be intolerant of others. Not very family like, but hey.

Edited by Droidist