Would you give up voice acting for more story?

Teladis

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope! I wouldn't mind more terminal boxes for side quests, but for class and main planet story arcs, no way.

. . . well, actually, I'd probably enjoy my Consular more if I never heard his voice. :p But I'd miss some of my other character's voices.

And besides, based on what Bioware has said, I think a lot of people overestimate how big of a cost voice acting was/is. Not saying it is negligible, but I don't think it is this huge gigantic expensive barrier that some folks seem to think it is.

it is not, i record voice acting for games at my studio ; and quite frankly it is really cheap. also what they pay to the actors is laughable.

I would not give up the voice acting.

Neither would BioWare, it seems. They've said in the past that the voice stuff really isn't a big deal.

That is to say, the reason they are not advancing the class-specific stories is not the cost or effort of voice work, but the cost and effort of making 8 distinct story lines.

The voice acting is a big part of the game. I wouldn't mind terribly getting the occasional mission where I would pick something up and read it, then go complete the mission. But those would just have to be one-off side missions. I would not support voice-less story continuation.

The voice acting is a big part of the game. I wouldn't mind terribly getting the occasional mission where I would pick something up and read it, then go complete the mission. But those would just have to be one-off side missions. I would not support voice-less story continuation.

Me either. To be honest, I never read those textboxes and now that I've played an MMO with VA, I don't think I could ever go back to having them exclusively.

It would feel kinda off at first, but I was thinking to myself..while voice acting is pretty neat, it is not 100 percent needed for a story line.

So I wonder if they advance the story, but cut back on the voice acting. Would that upset you?

The only thing that would make me give it up is _huge_ sandbox planet. If i have to play a themepark, it have to have good cut scenes or at least voice acting. I love books but im not gonna read crap quests backgrounds written by cheapest writers who only write to make money for booze so they can get drunk and forget about their miserable writing skills. Saw it too many times in other mmos.

VA imo is what makes this game, seperates it from pretty much most other games! After being gone for a while and playing a few other games, I'm right back her with ToR. To answer the OP no I wouldn't want them to continue the story without VA, it's integral to this game!

What would be fantastic that this time next year we are downloading the next addition to the game and that would be an additional 10 levels and chapter 4 to all classes! And over the next year let EA keep adding there fluff to the CM and allow for the devs to work on bugs, balance and qol projects. While in the background they blow our minds in Dec of '14.

A guy can hope right??

+10. A major VA expansion every 2 years, augmented by smaller expansions and patches in between as they have been doing, would rock imho. I would be happy to see a decrease in non-VA related content in exchange for a level 50 - 60 Chapter 4. Absolutely.

+10. A major VA expansion every 2 years, augmented by smaller expansions and patches in between as they have been doing, would rock imho. I would be happy to see a decrease in non-VA related content in exchange for a level 50 - 60 Chapter 4. Absolutely.

I would love that.

Maybe they could treat it the same way as they do single player games and have a separate team working on it - then when it's ready it will be an expansion that needs to be bought (hence recovering the expenses of making it).

So I wonder if they advance the story, but cut back on the voice acting. Would that upset you?

The voice acting really doesn't have any reason to do with why there are no more class stories. They recorded a lot of audio well in advance for future content but most of these voice actors do voice work for numerous Star Wars projects anyway. It's not like trying to get Robert Downey, Jr. to do another Avengers movie. The reason they aren't doing more class stories (at least that's the plan for now) is that it takes 4 times as much time, money and development resources to create 8 class stories as it does 2 faction stories. Also, they believe faction stories lend themselves better to grouping than class stories.

By "voice acting", are you referring to the alien dialect that I read scrolling across my screen as subtitles in every update since "daily" areas were introduced?

Not sure which "daily" area update you're using as a starting point, but is that a Republic side issue? I don't have any max 'pub characters but on Imp side the heavy majority of VA has been in English.

1.2: Black Hole: Breadcrumb quest has two or three different Imperial troops talking -all English; General Kota, her assistant and Councilor Torvix all English for the Fall of Torvix quest.

Lost Island: 1-time quest for the FP has the Sith quest giver speaking English; Mad scientist guy at the end of the FP speaks English.

1.4: Terror from Beyond - 1-time quest for the Op: Imperial diplomat speaks English, Gree ambassador speaks alien gibberish. Kepphis speaks alien gibberish in the Op, Dread Masters taunt him in English, don't remember about the other bosses though.

1.5: Section X: Breadcrumb quest has both the alien who shouts at you and the Imperial who shuts him up (or drags him off if you shock the uppity bum like I did) speaking English; The Imperial Guard quest giver speaking English and the Imperial Officer at the Fatality speaking English, only the Tech who activates HK-51 spoke alien gibberish.

1.7: News Casters in the breadcrumb quest were English, weird droid speaks English when you turn in quests, I'm sure there was plenty of alien gibberish from the Gree throughout it too though.

2.0: Darth Marr, the shuttle pilot, the Imperial woman who's your main contact, Lord Cytherat, the blue Cathar sergeant, other random Imperial officers, the local rebellion leader, Darth Mortis, Darth Acina, the Shroud, the defector from the Shroud's group, heck even the main Hutt all spoke English. I think only the geologist guy and maybe two or three of the enemies you interact with speak alien gibberish.

Scum and Villainy: 1-time quest has the Imperial Officer and the Nikto Pirate both speaking English, the Dread Master in the Op speaks English, I don't remember about the other bosses - think they're a mix of English and alien gibberish.

2.3: CZ-198 1-time quest has both the Czerka lady and the Imperial Officer she's working with speak English. In the FPs both Rasmus Blye and the Vigilant speak English.

Bounty Contract Event: Bounty Hunter from the breadcrumb quest speaks English, Bounty Hunter droid gives English feedback throughout, Bounty Quest givers on DK, Alderaan, Voss, and Nar Shadaa all speak English. Only Bounty quest givers on Tatooine and Hutta speak alien gibberish (and not even sure about Hutta, he may be English)

2.4: The whole Oricon quest chain, everyone you interact with speaks English. Dread Masters all speak English as they taunt you in the Ops.

Edited by DarthDymond

I would love that.

Maybe they could treat it the same way as they do single player games and have a separate team working on it - then when it's ready it will be an expansion that needs to be bought (hence recovering the expenses of making it).

I would pay a full game price every 2 years for expansions that focused on another 5 levels of story arcs for each class. Edited by GalacticKegger

Yes, In a heartbeat and without hesitation.

I truly don't understand this (seemingly) new obsession with voiceover in RPG-type games. I play for the story, not the acting. I can't recall ever playing NWN and thinking "gee, this would be so much better if it was fully voiced".

Edited by Lord_Velan

That's really a tricky question. I don't think I can answer that without seeing an example... I doubt it's gonna happen, but it is an interesting thought. However, even if you skip voice acting you will still need animation and motion capturing, set up the scene correctly and program lights and the camera for many scenes. (Many other scenes will likely work with default stuff.)

Bioware has its way of winding around voice over of course. The typical, meaningless alien babble...

Edited by Rabenschwinge