SInce beta's, its been over two years, how much longer until...

Dyvim

Got to love people that trinket stuff like spike, low slash, carbonize and all the fidly little stuns.

Each time I see someone do that I'm thinking, boy I'm glad he aint on our team...oh dayum he is.

This ussualy leads to me suggesting that they should play the sims instead.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resolve was fine pre 1.4. Then the devs ruined it, to "make it easier for lower skilled players" -> their words, in a nutshell.

Dumbing the game down is bad for everyone.

Totally agreed. This name needs to stop cuddling players and go back to punishing for poor play...But bioware won't do that.

these devs, whichever iteration we are on, figure out that having a billion stuns in the game, with a borked resolve system that has never worked and a single stun break on a 2 MINUTE timer is the equivalent of them not being able to find their butts with both hands.

Its a disgrace, almost as bad as having the ONLY way to advance in PvP, forced pugging in randomized zones that you cant even pick from...which is almost as bad and ridiculous as having separate gear faucets for pve and pvp, then moving the goal line for them every few months, so the gear treadmill never ends, except, even worse, you have two of them...to grind. And then god help you if you want to gear alts. Or even worse gear an alt for two different roles.

Would be something different if a whole host of games didn't have better systems, its not like these SAME problems haven't been handled, and handled VASTLY better, currently and in the past.

No wonder the game lost the vast majority of its subscribers, and is about to lose me again. I had hoped for better after giving them another year to get it together.

And add the premades to all this.

You are telling me you have never been stunned repeatedly? Back to back to back? Are you telling me you have never used your stun break to only be INSTANTLY RESTUNNED? Have you NEVER been in a wz?

no I have never been sunned back to back to back because 2 stuns fill your resolve bar what your noticing is roots/and slows these arnt effected by resolve and shouldn't be

Resolve was supposed to stop stun locking...it never has and probably never will. It was supposed to be an effective limit to the ubiquitous stun a palooza this game devolved into. It never managed to be even marginally effective.

This should be extremely apparent to anyone that has played the game. After I AM STUNNED ONCE, I should have a stun immunity for some period of time...instead, its back to back to back stuns, over and over and over. You get crap like stealther sin/shadows that can repeatedly stun you...and your option is to use you r stun break, then they STUN you AGAIN. Over and over. It is beyond ridiculous and a terrible mechanic. Stunning should give IMMUNITY to stunning for x amount of time, and the stun break, if it stays on a two minute timer, should give a period of immunity as well, so when you break a friggin stun, you cant be IMMEDIATELY RESTUNNED. Get it yet? Or have you never played another game?

So, genius, let me break it down for you further...when classes have multiple stuns, some 3 or more, and can effectively stun lock you, and you are susceptible to multiple stuns from multiple players, and you ONLY have 1 stun break on a 2 minute timer....THAT is a problem. Its called craptastic design. This game is a showcase in mechanics not to use.

QFT 5letters

Dps job is not to just mindlessly attack healers without using other tools on your bar, like the interupt button, or timing stuns and mezz at the optimum time, you can also mark a target and tell your team mates to focus the same healer and use their interupts too. It works if people listen. Healing in this game is ok, op healers - possibly have too much in regards to resources, escapes and utility but that is debatable and a hard thing to balance. Sages and mandos are ok for regs but struggle in arenas.

This...you just hit the nail on the head of whats really wrong with pvp. that people dont listen, pay attention, or play as a team. i swear it seems like 5 people on any given team are just derps. im also heavily suspicious that a lot of people just close the chat window when they go into a match.

It would probably be unfair of me to catagorize the op as one of the many players who use their cc breaker on a slow, but it's probably true.

such presepshun

many problim

I appreciate all the L2P comments, but don't be ridiculous. I started with this game in beta, about 5 months before launch. I know the mechanics. They are just crap. Just like the whole pvp system is crap. Just like having PvE servers and PvP servers with no real difference in them, and no open world pvp system/reward system, is crap. Just like deprecating Ilum and never fixing it and returning it, as promised, was crap. Just like having random wzs with forced pugging as the only way to get pvp gear is crap. Why do you have to have pvp/pve gear anyway? The expertise stat is stupid. GW2 does this infinitely better. Most games I've played do this better. I had hoped they would change after a year. Like most of the hope placed in this game since before launch for most of the players that have tried it, that hope was again misplaced.

Stuns, mez's,, whatever. They take you out of the game. Then you have all the movement control (roots, slows) that I didn't even mention. Point is, the cc in the game is out of control, and there has never been an effective system to mitigate it. Waiting for or depending on your resolve timer is stupid at best. A much better design would be a diminishing returns system or a temporary immunity system so that you cannot be continually cc'd. And when you use that stun break on its 2 minute timer, you should be immune to stuns/mez's for 30 seconds or so...that would be a much better system...or reduce the two minute timer. The whole concept that you can be stunned/mez'd/controlled several times per minute, yet have a brk with no immunity only once every two minutes is IDIOTIC.

I appreciate all the L2P comments, but don't be ridiculous. I started with this game in beta, about 5 months before launch. I know the mechanics. They are just crap. Just like the whole pvp system is crap. Just like having PvE servers and PvP servers with no real difference in them, and no open world pvp system/reward system, is crap. Just like deprecating Ilum and never fixing it and returning it, as promised, was crap. Just like having random wzs with forced pugging as the only way to get pvp gear is crap. Why do you have to have pvp/pve gear anyway? The expertise stat is stupid. GW2 does this infinitely better. Most games I've played do this better. I had hoped they would change after a year. Like most of the hope placed in this game since before launch for most of the players that have tried it, that hope was again misplaced.

Stuns, mez's,, whatever. They take you out of the game. Then you have all the movement control (roots, slows) that I didn't even mention. Point is, the cc in the game is out of control, and there has never been an effective system to mitigate it. Waiting for or depending on your resolve timer is stupid at best. A much better design would be a diminishing returns system or a temporary immunity system so that you cannot be continually cc'd. And when you use that stun break on its 2 minute timer, you should be immune to stuns/mez's for 30 seconds or so...that would be a much better system...or reduce the two minute timer. The whole concept that you can be stunned/mez'd/controlled several times per minute, yet have a brk with no immunity only once every two minutes is IDIOTIC.

Dr does not work within this meta game or with how the objective based warzones work, a good example would be huttball.. Resolve system is adequate - adding roots to resolve breaks kiting on a range class - when your meant to keep melee at bay this is why roots don't add to resolve. Roots only impair movement, they don't stop you throwing your saber, and many classes have abilities to stop them being rooted. Resolve, stuns are ok imo. They add an element of strategy to the game.

Stuns can also be dispelled, its a team game - this is what most people forget and there has been a worrying trend lately where it seems like everyone is playing the game with a solo mindset and wondering why they are having a tough time.

It's fine if you don't like the system as is, but I don't find it anywhere near as problematic as you do, but this game is not gw2 and never will be.

If you really want to keep the amount of CC in place for objectives, but reduce the time that players are actually "stun locked" where they take damage, just make sure no class has more than 1 hard stun. If there were more mezzes and less stuns, then you can CC objectively without people taking free damage without control of their character. This also significantly raises the skill cap, since you can't ATTACK these players while taking an objective. And since it would raise the skill cap, it will not happen in this game.

When I first opened this thread I knew this would eventually be related to GW2. With that in mind: wut? GW2 was the most imbalanced game I've ever played, especially WRT to CC mechanics. There were professions that had clearly better CC mechanics than others. Hell, there were professions that would actually stun themselves! (Engineer over charged shot). Not to mention given the generic mechanic of objectives in sPvP professions that had strong knockbacks (Guardians especially) had outrageous node defending advantages.

WRT to a DR system, no way. In WoW the contingency of how effective a CC would be based on how recently a player was stunned was silly and created great imbalances between composition synergy. I had to reroll from warlock to play 2's with my best friend (who was a priest) simply because our fears shared DR and put us a huge CC disadvantage compared to comps like warrior druid. Not to mention some shared DRs were illogical (ice trap shared with poly). Without addons that monitored each individual players DRs (which cluttered the hell outta ones UI), we really couldn't predict how effective CCs would be, and the cost of a global is always fairly significant.

WIth this in mind, Swtor's resolve system is not bugged, it is good and creative system that lets us know exactly how effective CC will be and when players are vulnerable or not. It is the only system I have played that does keep us from being stun locked because hard stuns (4 sec) fill 75% of the resolve bar, any following stun fills it. Assuming we save our CC breaker appropriately, the longest anyone should be stunned for is 4 or 5 seconds. Which is considerably less than any DR implemented system (a rogue using a Cheap shot / Kidney shot combo for 9 seconds or a destro lock using a fear, shadow blast, skill coil combo for 6+ seconds). Every class in this game has a 4 s stun: knight/warrior statsis/choke, consular/inquisitor force stun/electrocute, Trooper/BH cryro grenade/electro dart, and smuggler/iA dirty kick/debilitate. Every class has a mez (generalized as 8s CC breakable on damage). Sure some classes have 2s stuns, but these are trivial and resolve fillers. To put it simply, no class has a clear stun locking advantage.

WRT to CC breakers, I cannot think of another game where everyone is given a free standardized CC breaker without having to sacrifice gear, talents, or active abilities. In WoW we had to give up a trinket slot for our CC breakers. In GW2 we had to spec into CC breakers, which is significant given the minimal amount of active abilities we already had. In SWG we had to talent and armor attachment into anti dizzy, KD, and position changing effects. SWTOR is the only game I've played with true get outta jail free card (besides Monopoly of course).

WRT to your argument that after being CC'd we should be immune for 30 or so sec, if we trivialize CC with ridiculous anti CC passives it will really dumb the game down. CC is dire in mmo pvp because it is what separates us from normalized play styles focused purely on rotation to more of a situational style. PvP shouldn't be about DPS races and going cast for cast, it should be about strategy and delivery.

TLDR: SWTOR's CC and anti CC mechanics are actually well thought out and more balanced than any other game I've played.

Incoming QQ and hate responses.

these devs, whichever iteration we are on, figure out that having a billion stuns in the game, with a borked resolve system that has never worked and a single stun break on a 2 MINUTE timer is the equivalent of them not being able to find their butts with both hands.

Its a disgrace, almost as bad as having the ONLY way to advance in PvP, forced pugging in randomized zones that you cant even pick from...which is almost as bad and ridiculous as having separate gear faucets for pve and pvp, then moving the goal line for them every few months, so the gear treadmill never ends, except, even worse, you have two of them...to grind. And then god help you if you want to gear alts. Or even worse gear an alt for two different roles.

Would be something different if a whole host of games didn't have better systems, its not like these SAME problems haven't been handled, and handled VASTLY better, currently and in the past.

No wonder the game lost the vast majority of its subscribers, and is about to lose me again. I had hoped for better after giving them another year to get it together.

Because for two years, most of you haven't been using your stuns breaks or stuns properly anyway.

If I had a dollar for every Op that flashbanged me then stabbed me I wouldn't need to play the Mega Millions

Resolve "works as intended", but that don't mean its good.

Way back when I posted a long-winded response to the change that catered to poor play, but it was also an issue that CC in general usually is a counter to healing, but they gave all healing classes more CC than they probably should have... But I digress....

The main issues were and still are:

Decay timers

Decay while out of combat

Root/Snare bypass

Here is the link if you wanted the extended versionhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=583880

Edit: Also I would like to add that using your stunbreak before full resolve is ok in certain situation.

Some include:

You are being attacked by 3 or enemies, because the likelihood of surviving a second stun is low. If you break early and hit a DFCD or Evade, I think you have a better shot at surviving slightly longer.

Hypergates when solo guarding. Not much you can do if you are not equipped to guard the node, but end up doing it.

You have a pocket healer or you are 1v1 versus a healer. This is more situational than the rest, but if I got a healer on the ropes, and he stuns me, I instabreak and try to dispatch him before he realizes what happened. Even if a second stun goes off, healers can't kill you, so surviving a second stun is likely.

Edited by L-RANDLE

Some cc can be ok - it can add thought and lots of if-then strategies. But when some classes have over 10 interrupt tools per minute, many aoe, then the game just gets silly. It's very difficult to channel anything in melees involving 2-3+ enemies, even if that channel is called "uninterruptable". And some classes are much more dependent on channeling than others. And while 1v1 stunlocks don't really hapen 2v1s absolutely do. In other games a decent player can solo or almost solo 2-3 bad ones or poorly geared ones. Cc removes most of that skill component and almost gaurantees the side with more pcs/ccers will win a much higher percentage of the time, regardless of skill.

Some cc can be ok - it can add thought and lots of if-then strategies. But when some classes have over 10 interrupt tools per minute, many aoe, then the game just gets silly. It's very difficult to channel anything in melees involving 2-3+ enemies, even if that channel is called "uninterruptable". And some classes are much more dependent on channeling than others. And while 1v1 stunlocks don't really hapen 2v1s absolutely do. In other games a decent player can solo or almost solo 2-3 bad ones or poorly geared ones. Cc removes most of that skill component and almost gaurantees the side with more pcs/ccers will win a much higher percentage of the time, regardless of skill.

This is why these forums are entertaining. "10 interrupt tools per minute" I'm going to shorten that to 10 ITPM's. And you know what it means when an ability says uninterruptable right? You cant use an interrupt but are subject to CC.

What's your opinion on resolve, ccs and the like just out of interest?

Too many CCs/roots and the likes in the game, that's a fact. Resolve bar works as it was meant to but it's not the best system. Having said that I'd probably say that this system is better than the old resolve one.

But what I meant by my previous comment is how some people think some mechanics work. Also there's no point in complaining about this, imho, as the game is two years old and this has been here from the start in one form or another. If it's better or worse now may be debatable but the fact is that the game has worked like this pretty much since the start.

But,. please, carry on!

Too many CCs/roots and the likes in the game, that's a fact. Resolve bar works as it was meant to but it's not the best system. Having said that I'd probably say that this system is better than the old resolve one.

But what I meant by my previous comment is how some people think some mechanics work. Also there's no point in complaining about this, imho, as the game is two years old and this has been here from the start in one form or another. If it's better or worse now may be debatable but the fact is that the game has worked like this pretty much since the start.

But,. please, carry on!

I'm not complaining either tbh. I don't have issues with resolve, roots or stuns and yes I've played since beta too and I agree that game isn't going to change.

Edited by PloGreen

This is why these forums are entertaining. "10 interrupt tools per minute" I'm going to shorten that to 10 ITPM's. And you know what it means when an ability says uninterruptable right? You cant use an interrupt but are subject to CC.

i was including cc as interrupts. Sins actually have far more than 10 but i would need to look at mine to confirm an actual number. And YES i know that uninterruptable doesn't actually mean "uninterruptable" at all. That was part of my point.

Edited by Savej

The thing I hate about stuns is that bad players can spam all their stuns and not have any real consequences. Since you know, they are all on a 1 min cooldown or less.

Except there is a consequence. It's called "resolve-cap" and it can cost their team goals in Huttball or the chance of killing an enemy healer. Bad players that go around "spamming their stuns" are one of the most frustrating things in this game because they prevent me from actually helping them win.