Hats off to the aces!

tharbison

Casual player here, maybe 4-8 GSF matches every other day since launch. Lots of fun! It's prettty clear some people are either naturally skilled at space combat, have flying combat background in other games, or just have a lot of time to practice...I usually fall into the bottom 3/4's of the scoreboard with a few kills, respectable damage, sevaeral medals & objectives taken. I'm happy with that and am working at getting better.

I just wanted to give kudos to the top 1/4 of the boards. You know...the guys with like 10-20 kills, 25k+ damage...I just find that really impressive! You could argue that these are the pilots that can make or break the match for you. And to the pilots that top the overall leaderboards with like 30-40 kills & 100k+ damage...omg seriously?!?! I salute you!

It doesn't matter where you fall in the charts...the guys at the top of the chart value your participation just as much as you value theirs. Without the guys in the lower half of the chart for Gunships to focus on, guys in the top half wouldn't be able to fly directly at them and kill em with such ease ;)

We ALL count in a match. Even the smallest offensive contribution contributes by absorbing damage and enemy attention.

Without the guys in the lower half of the chart for Gunships to focus on, guys in the top half wouldn't be able to fly directly at them and kill em with such ease ;)

Glad I'm useful! What gets me is these aces are probably like 12 years old, GSF on one screen, streaming South Park via Netflix on a 2nd screen all while skyping some friends. And here's me trying to remember which button boosts my blasters. Even when I remember, I usually end up pressing barrel roll instead right in front of an asteroid :p

Edited by tharbison

People keep talking about these players that get 30 kills. I've not seen that much; it is very unusual on Shadowlands.

On the Shadowlands server, I have played religiously since launch of 2.5. I am almost always in the top 5, but I usually have only around 5 kills (8-10 assists), preferring to stay close to nodes in order to protect them or racing to nodes to cap or keep from capping. Staying close to nodes limits the ability to kill with frequency. The top people in kills generally have around 10. I play on republic side and we dominate the imps. Republic v Republic matches are much closer, but the group I am in usually wins. I've never really played space sims much; its come naturally with lots of practice. In the past week I've gotten two ships' components maxed to the 15k upgrades. Two other ships are at the 5-10K upgrades. So... i've played alot... absolutely love it!

Edited by sentawan

People keep talking about these players that get 30 kills. I've not seen that much; it is very unusual on Shadowlands.

On the Shadowlands server, I have played religiously since launch of 2.5. I am almost always in the top 5, but I usually have only around 5 kills (8-10 assists), preferring to stay close to nodes in order to protect them or racing to nodes to cap or keep from capping. Staying close to nodes limits the ability to kill with frequency. The top people in kills generally have around 10. I play on republic side and we dominate the imps. Republic v Republic matches are much closer, but the group I am in usually wins. I've never really played space sims much; its come naturally with lots of practice. In the past week I've gotten two ships' components maxed to the 15k upgrades. Two other ships are at the 5-10K upgrades. So... i've played alot... absolutely love it!

Maybe there are people farming up that many killing blows, but I think it's typical for people to say killing blows + assists = kills. I haven't seen anyone crack the 20 killing blow barrier yet myself, and that's in over 100 games. WIth that said, I see people getting 20-30 kills + assists pretty frequently (at least half the time).

There isn't much distinction between an assist and a killing blow other than the killing blow says that the damage you dealt resulted in the kill, I could probably get upwards of 30 KBs if I just bolted around with a slug railgun ninja'ing KB's on people with low health, but I don't see that all that often.

I worry less about kills and more about objectives. Objectives create wins. You can fly amok and kill 100 people but still lose a game. If you have a couple good guards (gunship/scout combo is incredible) then your nodes are set. More than once I'll settle on a node with my gunship and after the 4th kill or so people stop bothering to try capping it.

Being 2-shot from 15,000m before the turrets even load on your screen tends to be a bit disheartening.

Being 2-shot from 15,000m before the turrets even load on your screen tends to be a bit disheartening.

LOL... people are dumb sometimes. I usually get around this by targeting the gunship and circling around at 15k to los it on the back side of the satellite. A key is to forget the defenders, los the gunship, and take out the turrets first. Then if you get killed by the defenders... you can always scout back and kill the defenders before the turrets respawn. I don't know how many times I've taken a node by killing the turrets as the defenders sit camping or can't match my node weaving ability.

Edited by sentawan

Glad I'm useful! What gets me is these aces are probably like 12 years old, GSF on one screen, streaming South Park via Netflix on a 2nd screen all while skyping some friends. And here's me trying to remember which button boosts my blasters. Even when I remember, I usually end up pressing barrel roll instead right in front of an asteroid :p

Well, I'm usually in vent with my guildies and I'm twice as old as you expect, but close enough, right?

LOL... people are dumb sometimes.

Let's not turn this into a discussion about gunships, because that's way off topic and I will rip you a new one about them.

It doesn't matter where you fall in the charts...the guys at the top of the chart value your participation just as much as you value theirs. Without the guys in the lower half of the chart for Gunships to focus on, guys in the top half wouldn't be able to fly directly at them and kill em with such ease ;)

We ALL count in a match. Even the smallest offensive contribution contributes by absorbing damage and enemy attention.

Exactly right! All pilots of all skill levels are needed to win matches! Don't be dissuaded by lower positions in the charts, you still play a vital role in the team!

If anyone gets over 20 kills in a match its because the team they were playing is horrible and their own team is horrible too.

This, and also in a match between competent players, the best player will often do worse because everyone will recognize him and team up to shut him down.

This, and also in a match between competent players, the best player will often do worse because everyone will recognize him and team up to shut him down.

Really?! You try to shut your own teammate down?! And I'm impressed you recognize the good players! I'm still just trying to figure out what satellite I'm at and which way is up :o

There is no up.

My best games are the ones I barely get any kills or assists and my damage sucks... But in those games, me, by myself, can make 3-4 enemy players completely useless when they get tunnel visioned into chasing me around the map the whole game.

Nah I'm a 9 year army veteran. =P

I dont value kills and assists as much as I value damage, purely because if I had a dollar for every time I got an enemy to 5%, had them get scared and scramble, I go in for the kill just to watch them go pop and see a teammate get credit, as if what they do is just tab around looking for low health bars and rape kills off their teammates.

Sometimes people are just playing, but I sincerely do believe that GSF has quite a few cherry pickers out there.

Sometimes people are just playing, but I sincerely do believe that GSF has quite a few cherry pickers out there.

It's not you, it's I've just seen this comment posted one too many times.

There is no kill stealing in GSF (or on the ground for that matter). If I break away from whomever is chasing me and I see another red right in front of me, I'm going to swap targets and shoot him. I would hope my teammate would want me too as well, instead of ignoring him and leave them to a 1 vs 1.

There is enough going on that I'd rather not start worrying that another is "stealing" my kills and vice-versa.

Besides, assists are more fun. TBH it's pretty common for me to have 0-2 kills, 11-15 assists, 6k-10k damage (pfft paltry) and 456 objective points. I get more assists than kills just by swapping targets often to whomever is in my LoS at that moment.

It's not you, it's I've just seen this comment posted one too many times.

There is no kill stealing in GSF (or on the ground for that matter). If I break away from whomever is chasing me and I see another red right in front of me, I'm going to swap targets and shoot him.

Don't get me wrong, I sure don't cry when my cherries get picked, nor do I give two shakes about the scoreboard as, I only care about how much requisition I am getting.

I do think people put too much stock in the "wow he has 10 kills" thing though, as getting 20 cherry picks is not really helping out the team that much, it's not changing the requisition much, and it's not making me think that player is some sort of dog fighting god, not in the least.

If someone has the most damage beside their name, at least I know that this person was tearing lots of stuff apart, but, end of the day, the scoreboard doesn't really know who is the best pilot or who is the worst.

Problem? not for this guy.

Hey, I'm one of those guys you're describing and I have to say, I get flamed more than I get complimented, so thanks a lot for the words of support. Honestly, I've had a worse time enjoying this game since I got better because of the constant hate tells and **** like this.

http://imgur.com/BpCc5MA

People call me a cheater all the time because I'm able to punch out a lot of dps in a few shots. I'll tell you, the quad laser cannon with concentrated fire and blaster overcharge and frequency capacitor is stupidly good damage and I would be silly not to use it, all that being said, it's depressing as hell to have people send me tells like that as much as it happens.

At this point I'm just going to start reporting people for harassment when this comes up and ignoring a lot more people.

Edited by tommmsunb

<- Casual Player. Usually get 1-4 games in per day. So casual I don't remember my server name. Not very experienced in flight sims (played Strike Suit Zero a bit).

So far nobody has been that superior to anyone else. Highest KBs I've seen in any match I've played is 12 kills with no/low # of assists.

I solo queue... no friends play SWtor and nobody from the guilds I'm in seem to play GSF. I usually roll Strike 75% of the time, Scout 25%. It's been common to get top 5 spot, 5-10 KBs, 2-10 Assists, 0-6 deaths (0-2 in 8v8, 3-6 in 12v12) and 20k+ damage, most of which comes from solo/duo holding either A or C. Upgrades don't seem that "game-breaking"... i have 2 ships, each with 1 lvl 1 upgrade and 1 lvl 3 upgrade, that's it! It's more dependent on load-out/crew selection and definitely skill. I'm fairly aggressive and contribute low objectives; I deviate from nodes a bit to force respawns :p I'd consider my skill set to be Average.

The people at the bottom of the scoreboard aren't necessarily bad. Sure, some games it's noob-central... but for the most part, the people at the bottom have higher Objective Points, decent Assists, and provide great distraction for the aggressive types. In a 2v2 situation, even an unskilled/unupgraded pilot can make a huge difference separating the enemies and soaking up a missile or two.

There is no up.

My best games are the ones I barely get any kills or assists and my damage sucks... But in those games, me, by myself, can make 3-4 enemy players completely useless when they get tunnel visioned into chasing me around the map the whole game.

Not my personal playstyle, but you'd win my MVP. Things like this give the rest of the team kills, control, and the win.

I've never seen anyone get over 12 kills in any of my matches, and usually it's less. When GSF first became available, I was getting 8, 9, or 10 kills and 0 deaths almost every match flying a scout, but lately I've been having worse and worse matches, with an average of 4-5 kills and 2-3 deaths per round.

I think it's largely in part to the upgrades some people have now - I dont play as often or as many matches as others, so obviously my gear isnt going to upgrade as fast. I also think more people are beginning to understand power management and controls, and are getting more aiming practice and becoming better shots.

I do pretty well, usually in the top 1/4 of the board, but I really don't care who gets the kills. If our team holds two nodes the entire match and I get 0 k/a I am still a happy camper. I'm so tired of people wanking over their awesome kill/death ratio while our team is losing matches.

Casual player here, maybe 4-8 GSF matches every other day since launch. Lots of fun! It's prettty clear some people are either naturally skilled at space combat, have flying combat background in other games, or just have a lot of time to practice...I usually fall into the bottom 3/4's of the scoreboard with a few kills, respectable damage, sevaeral medals & objectives taken. I'm happy with that and am working at getting better.

I just wanted to give kudos to the top 1/4 of the boards. You know...the guys with like 10-20 kills, 25k+ damage...I just find that really impressive! You could argue that these are the pilots that can make or break the match for you. And to the pilots that top the overall leaderboards with like 30-40 kills & 100k+ damage...omg seriously?!?! I salute you!

you forget, most of the top 1/2 to 1/3 of the ladder every match are player's who are old hands to the genre.

once you gotten a few thousands of hours in freelancer, rouge squadron, xwing, eilte, freespqace, etc... stuff like gsf is kiddie-lit version. still arcadey and fun game, but not as difficult as other space combat games, esp the sim-ish ones.

i'd be surprised if the top guys weren't also desperately waiting for Star Citizen.

like the rest of us space tragics.