Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Male Bounty Hunter Voice...now with lisp?

Qelceda

Hi everyone,

I just started playing again after several months away. My BH is my primary character and is at lvl 55. The first thing I did upon logging on was head to the Cartel Bizarre to get in on some Bounty Hunting. The Great Hunt was my favorite part of the game. But while the voice actor appears to be the same, all these new lines were being spoken with what sounded like a lisp. At first, I thought perhaps it was just something specific to that exchange and he was disguising his voice but it has continued for all the new content. I have not yet tested it with old content.

Was this intentional? Did the voice actor acquire a lisp or something? It's a little jarring to have that change to my character's voice.

Has this happened to anyone else or do I have the strangest bug ever?

Hi everyone,

I just started playing again after several months away. My BH is my primary character and is at lvl 55. The first thing I did upon logging on was head to the Cartel Bizarre to get in on some Bounty Hunting. The Great Hunt was my favorite part of the game. But while the voice actor appears to be the same, all these new lines were being spoken with what sounded like a lisp. At first, I thought perhaps it was just something specific to that exchange and he was disguising his voice but it has continued for all the new content. I have not yet tested it with old content.

Was this intentional? Did the voice actor acquire a lisp or something? It's a little jarring to have that change to my character's voice.

Sounds like you are bugged, my BH is pretty much my main character - and I haven't noticed a lisp.

Hi everyone,

they got JMD to do text to speech voice overs :D

On the subject of lisps: For some odd reason, whenever Xalek says his stock bit of dialogue about not liking space stations as we enter the Makeb orbital station, he says it with a lisp. The rest of the time his speech is normal. Makes me chuckle whenever I hear it, he sounds like Chris Eubank. Edited by PLynkes

It could be the quality of the new VO or the method in which they were recorded.

It's quite common for voice actors to phone in lines, and with a project like swtor it would have to be a necessity for some actors.

Well to be totally honest I thought all the voice actors had a cold when doing Makeb....But that's just me.

Yes I noticed this as well. Well maybe not all of them but it was quite noticeable on my jedi knight and imperial agent.

It's quite common for voice actors to phone in lines, and with a project like swtor it would have to be a necessity for some actors.

... interesting.

I thought I noticed this once or twice in a conversation (Ironically in the great hunt convos) then nothing it was back to my normal voice the rest of the quest.

I also noticed on my commando though who is level 55, that doing the bounty quest I sounded way different.

Edited by Cordarn

I've been noticing this as well but at different intervals. I assumed it was mostly related with my sound card but as soon as the cutscenes end and I click on my companions, their voices sound just fine.

Now that I think of it, it does sound a bit like lisp so to speak, even though I doubt it was intentional to begin with, since I now hear dialogue that had no issue whatsoever a few months back and now it does.

Guess someone, on Bioware's end, activated a sound filter by accident or whatever.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

I have noticed the exact same thing. The old content is fine but for the new content he speaks with a lisp that make him sound, hmm well, stupid. This is very annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

Umm... no it's not common, I've never heard of "phoned in" lines, you want studio-quality recordings, especially for a triple-A title like SWTOR.

Source: I'm an actor who also does voice work.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.