at what point in the development process...

Telos

I think there's a really good chance that your paraphrase is not as accurate as you think. ;)

I remember some comments about it early on where they felt it wasn't needed, but I would be more likely to chalk that up to doublespeak rather than arrogance. QUOTE]

Well, maybe I not being fair but when you have a thread with a bajillion posts basically saying "I sat in fleet for 5 hours and couldn't get enough people to run flashpoint X" and the dev response is: "I don't really think we need a group finder in this game." and then some hobnosh about better ways and maybe try x, y and z

Then it amounts to the same thing. Look, I don't blame them. The devs were the darling of the gaming world while the game was being made and right after launch. There were a lot of people telling them they made the best thing ever. It's not surprising they got a bit of a swelled head over it and resisted the initial reports when the flaws started to show themselves.

Well, maybe I not being fair but when you have a thread with a bajillion posts basically saying "I sat in fleet for 5 hours and couldn't get enough people to run flashpoint X" and the dev response is: "I don't really think we need a group finder in this game." and then some hobnosh about better ways and maybe try x, y and z

Then it amounts to the same thing. Look, I don't blame them. The devs were the darling of the gaming world while the game was being made and right after launch. There were a lot of people telling them they made the best thing ever. It's not surprising they got a bit of a swelled head over it and resisted the initial reports when the flaws started to show themselves.

Oh, I'm sure it was a very sobering experience. I know they have talked about how low morale was during the summer of 2012. But what's done is done, they seem to be doing better now, and are in better spirits, so I really do hope that they will hold to their word about more QoL features if GS does well. Cross-server is *definitely* something that should be seriously looked at, IMO. For Warzones at the very least.

Edited by chuixupu

http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/

SWToR ruined HeroEngine, HeroEngine did not ruin SWToR.

Be sure to read the comment sectior relies from some HeroEngine devs who provide info such as EAware not taking updates from the HeroEngine devs that would have made the engine better than EAWare's cobbled together alpha.

Look at the actual HeroEngine as it is today, then look at the HeroEngine as EAware shaped it. Big difference. But HeroEngine gets vilified because their only mistake was licensing their tech to EAware.

TESO abandoning HeroEngine was a direct result of clueless moronic sheeple thinking of SWTOR's version of HEroEngine and slapping Zenimax around with bad PR over it. "ZOMG!! You're using the same engine as the Tortanic! OMG you're gonna so fail! I'll never buy this game!". Zenimax caved like the inexperienced suits that they are. "Oh, no no! We're just using HeroEngine to make the mock up! We promise!".

If the HeroEngine devs had a way to legally sue EAware for ruining their reputation, I'd back them 100%.

Edited by Zorvan

That's not how it works. The engine itself doesn't decide whether or not they have cross-server queues. Unfortunately, they decided to not prioritize building that framework during the development phase when they had the time and resources to do it. Like a lot of things (group finder, for instance, or finishing their Legacy system beyond a bar), they decided to release the game at a somewhat unfinished state*, hoping to then add all the features in over time. Unfortunately, this was part of the problem with player dissatisfaction, and before they could implement a lot of these core features, they lost a lot of their development team.

^What he said^

It's not the engine OP. And had they not fired so many people we would have x-server already.

*This is why I hate EA, rushing a game out SIX MONTHS early is a BIG mistake

• 3 months later...
http://www.heroengine.com/2011/11/heroengine-meets-starwars/

SWToR ruined HeroEngine, HeroEngine did not ruin SWToR.

Be sure to read the comment sectior relies from some HeroEngine devs who provide info such as EAware not taking updates from the HeroEngine devs that would have made the engine better than EAWare's cobbled together alpha.

Look at the actual HeroEngine as it is today, then look at the HeroEngine as EAware shaped it. Big difference. But HeroEngine gets vilified because their only mistake was licensing their tech to EAware.

TESO abandoning HeroEngine was a direct result of clueless moronic sheeple thinking of SWTOR's version of HEroEngine and slapping Zenimax around with bad PR over it. "ZOMG!! You're using the same engine as the Tortanic! OMG you're gonna so fail! I'll never buy this game!". Zenimax caved like the inexperienced suits that they are. "Oh, no no! We're just using HeroEngine to make the mock up! We promise!".

If the HeroEngine devs had a way to legally sue EAware for ruining their reputation, I'd back them 100%.

Errr... when you install TESO the first logo after zenimax you see is HERO ENGINE on blue letters etc.

so what are you talking about??

did you guys decide the hero engine was the way to go? and did it ever occur to you that cross server queueing (for both pve and pvp) wasn't something you were going to worry about? was it arrogance that made you think your player pop was going to be so large that you'd never need to implement cross server queues? or was it basic incompetence?

if your game engine doesn't support cross server queues, in any way, shape or form, perhaps you should consider an engine upgrade...

Interesting, I didn't realize allowing cross server queues would magically make the ratio of healers and tanks to DPS go up.

Did you think this through at all before posting?

Edited by Cidanel

Less hostility and you may have gotten a reply. Too bad.

He'd have never gotten a BioWare reply.

The answer is, pretty early. The other answer is, pretty much everyone in on that decision is no longer employed by BioWare / EA.

The final answer is, engines don't change in MMOs.

The final, final answer is if you can't get a queue to pop because you're the overpopulated and less needed role, learn a new role and get a faster queue.

Interesting, I didn't realize allowing cross server queues would magically make the ration of healers and tanks to DPS go up.

Did you think this through at all before posting?

Didn't you know, there's a mystical server out there on which a Tank and Healer can group up and queue, but they have to wait an hour or more for a DD. I'd tell you the server name, but I'm moving to it and I don't want all the other DD's to swarm it. :D

Edited by DarthTHC

Didn't you know, there's a mystical server out there on which a Tank and Healer can group up and queue, but they have to wait an hour or more for a DD. I'd tell you the server name, but I'm moving to it and I don't want all the other DD's to swarm it. :D

You idiot! We aren't supposed to talk about that server in front of other people. Did you forget the rules?

The first rule of the Tank/Healer server is you don't talk about the Tank/Healer server.

The second rule of the Tank/Healer server is you don't talk about the Tank/Healer server!

It would be nice to have cross server ques so that in ranked warzones I could play against similarly talented players, over time raising all of our ability level as we strive to succeed in an environment where we all are competitive and not stomping or being stomped each match by people far outside of our ability level.

hahahha. you cant be serious? you think the OP is being hostile? Wowwwwwwww you defenders would say anything.

By hostile you mean....having an opinion you don't agree with? rofl

A post that is "Are you arrogant or just stupid?" is hostile. But I don't expect sociopaths who don't know how to behave better than a 5 year old having a meltdown in the supermarket to understand the difference.

It is illogical to discuss about the game engine. This game is built upon the engine and that's the way it's going to be. Deal with it and move on. That's what it comes down to. I understand your frustrations, but there is no sense in talking about things in the past.

hahahha. you cant be serious? you think the OP is being hostile? Wowwwwwwww you defenders would say anything.

By hostile you mean....having an opinion you don't agree with? rofl

He implied the devs were arrogant and incompetent. That is hostile. You jumping in and claiming the other fellow is a defender and your derisive laughter is also hostile. But trolls be trolling, I guess. And before you rebut, ya your behaviour is indeed that of a troll.

A post that is "Are you arrogant or just stupid?" is hostile. But I don't expect sociopaths who don't know how to behave better than a 5 year old having a meltdown in the supermarket to understand the difference.

LOL shouldn't have bothered with my reply. This already won the thread.