Building a PC to run SWTOR on Ultra

Asden

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have want to spend about $1250 next month on building a PC. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could run SWTOR on Ultra smoothly with 60 FPS on the Fleet.

You can run this on the Watson super computer, and if you get more than 16 people in one spot, you're going to lag.

Here's a bit of my setup which runs consistently 100+fps on fleet on maxed ultra settings.

i7-3770k cpu

24 gigs of G.Skill Ripjaws X Series ram

Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard

Samsung 840 Pro Series 128gig SSD

GeForce 660Ti video card

Those are pretty much the key aspects of the build and should be within your price range for a very good gaming setup. My rig plays SWTOR on ultra max settings with ease. Hope this helps you some.

Edited by Denerio

Here's a bit of my setup which runs consistently 100+fps on fleet on maxed ultra settings.

i7-3770k cpu

GeForce 660Ti video card

Those are pretty much the key aspects of the build and should be within your price range for a very good gaming setup. My rig plays SWTOR on ultra max settings with ease. Hope this helps you some.

Computers with lot less than that can run this game on those settings with ease.

here's a good place to start, i had them build my machine and i've been very happy with it since it arrived... i run everything on max settings...

They do build some decent machines, but be wary of their shipping methods. The last couple of machines i got from them came with issues out of the box due to piss-poor packaging for shipping.

here's a good place to start, i had them build my machine and i've been very happy with it since it arrived... i run everything on max settings...

One of my gaming rigs came from them, the quality is good, but you can get the same quality for a cheaper price if you do it yourself.

I've been hemming & hawing about buying a new rig. Been looking primarily at Cyberpowerpc but I've also heard good thing about iBuyPower. Are they roughly the same or is one better than the other?

i don't really know if one company is better than another for building a machine... i usually build my own from parts ordered at the local computer shops... this is the first one i had a 3rd party build for me...

for the shipping they double-boxed mine with packing foam between the boxes and an inflatable packing material inside the case to stabilize and cushion the inner parts during shipping, it was easy to remove without damaging anything... honestly i'd go with iBuyPower again...

Ibuypower and Cyberpowerpc are sister companies so basically the same thing but with some different sales from time to time.

Be very careful with these companies. As they have become more popular over the years quality and service has gone way down. I used to build my own computers but as i got older (and lazier) I chose to just purchase systems every couple of years. With ibuypower it's either hit or miss. And when it's a big miss be ready for a very bumpy ride.

Over the years i ended up owning 4 systems from them. After the 4th system i said never again. That was a few years ago so maybe things have changed but from what i have read on their support forums that doesn't seem to be the case. The first two systems when the company was new was flawless, second system had a couple of minor hiccups and the third system along with the hassle of it all never again.

I am sure many people here have great systems from both companies. However in my experience with them it's more hassle then it's worth if something goes wrong.

Edited by AutoCocker

I bought mine from iBuyPower a couple of years ago specifically for this game and I've been happy with it.

I checked comparable parts for building it myself and it was only a couple hundred dollars more to have them do it (including shipping) so I decided that I'd built enough computers in my life and I was ready to let someone else do the work this time.

I'll probably buy my next one from them too.

My partner and I recently built our own, here is the list we used to order the parts:

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=163365&action=wish_lists

and here is a very good forum to get advice on your planed build:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/31/build.html#.

we get 110 frames in quiet spots like on our ship, and ~60 in busy locations like the fleet with 173 people in that instance, standing at the GTN.

The K series processor, Z77 motherboard and upgraded cpu cooler are only required if you plan on overclocking, the above frame rates are at stock settings.

There is also a new line of processors out now to consider (Haswell).

Good luck with your new PC.

With a $1250 budget you should set your aims higher and build a PC that will run upcoming AAA games on max. Otherwise you really don't need that expensive of a PC to run swtor on max, it's overkill.

The only good kill is overkill :D

i7-3770k cpu

GeForce 660Ti video card

24 gigs (!?!?!) of RAM?

Do you play 6 games at once while doing video edits?

Unfortunately, it is not the case that any computer you buy for $1250 will run swtor great. I would suggest finding someone else's build that is proven to work well and copy it as closely as you can. Not just the chips, but the same exact cards etc.

Be wary of default builds from places like cyberpower and ibuypower. They often cheap out on stuff like the power supply which can lead to lots of problems. If you do buy from them look at each component and select an exact brand/model for each item where you can. Look out for items listed as "major brand" or "something something equivalent". Those components may be spec'd the same on paper, but that doesn't mean they'll work the same together. My friends and I have been burned by this stuff. The component they say is "equivalent" is a cheaper part they use to squeeze a few more dollars profit out of the box.

Oh, and if you buy on the internet and have it shipped, it's much harder to deal with any problems if they crop up. It will cost a little more, but if there is a local shop that builds gaming computers I would highly suggest going with them. You'll typically get way better service, and have better access to talk to the people who actually make the computers (not just some sales person).

I want to say thank you everyone that has contributed to my post about my new desktop build and I will take the time out and look at the options out there and newer chips too and some homework here but this is a great start to my SWTOR journey!

I want to say thank you everyone that has contributed to my post about my new desktop build and I will take the time out and look at the options out there and newer chips too and some homework here but this is a great start to my SWTOR journey!

Honestly all you need is a good Nvidia graphics driver and a good power supply.