Do you need a joystick to play the galatic fighters?

khsolo

The joystick game of the future is Star Citizen being developed by Chris Roberts (33 million so far in crowd funding!!!!!!!).

So, if you want a joystick, get into that one, should be out late 2014 or early 2015.

This is...ummm. I can't think of a game I have played like this, even Freelancer had better flight controls and stuff, but with a little practice this one should be fine.

Believe it or not.. GS plays quite well without one.

That said.. nothing prevents you from using a 3rd party app to map a game controller or a joystick into the game. Works quite well for the mini stick on the G13.... but again.. it plays well IMO without a stick so I have disabled it after giving it a try out.

Note to Readers: Yeah.. yeah.. I get that some people simply must have a joystick for GS.... so don't try to accuse me of trolling the topic just because I have a different viewpoint then you.

I don't get the whole joystick thing - a mouse is a far superior instrument for fine and accurate movements than a joystick/gamepad.

Good luck trying to get a missile lock on me with your joystick controller, or anyone else who doesn't fly in a straight line either. :D

EDIT: That said, I'm fine with you all using joysticks...and encourage you to do so if you choose to.

Edited by DAMossimo

That said.. nothing prevents you from using a 3rd party app to map a game controller or a joystick into the game. Works quite well for the mini stick on the G13.... but again.. it plays well IMO without a stick so I have disabled it after giving it a try out.

Note to Readers: Yeah.. yeah.. I get that some people simply must have a joystick for GS.... so don't try to accuse me of trolling the topic just because I have a different viewpoint then you.

Andryah... Did you or someone you know manage to successfully map to a joystick (not a controller)? How was the experience? I'm asking because I'm interested in trying it out, and you seem to have some knowledge on this. I'm going to purchase a flight stick anyway for some upcoming space sims so I'd love to know if and how it worked. I think it would enrich the experience for me personally :)

Edited by archifikoss

The joystick game of the future is Star Citizen being developed by Chris Roberts (33 million so far in crowd funding!!!!!!!).

So, if you want a joystick, get into that one, should be out late 2014 or early 2015.

This is...ummm. I can't think of a game I have played like this, even Freelancer had better flight controls and stuff, but with a little practice this one should be fine.

This always makes me laugh.

People get into a game with controls not exactly as they were in another game they enjoyed and immediately say "these controls suck".

Wanna talk about absolutely insane control schematics? The original xbox had a MechWarrior game that REQUIRED the purchase of a special controller, the controller had roughly 45-50 controls. (2 joysticks, 3 foot pedals, and 2 thrust sliders, among others) to make you feel like you were in the cockpit. One of the more intensive control schematics and the sheer difficulty made it unplayable by the vast majority. If only they had kept making games for THAT control pad....people would never complain again about simplified controls that we have in this space fighter.

Are the controls "perfect"? For some, yes, for others, no. Then you have the crowd that'll never be happy without a joystick, mind you if you listen to the chat...those running joysticks are the people getting slaughtered more often than not as well...it was not designed for joystick styled flight.

This always makes me laugh.

People get into a game with controls not exactly as they were in another game they enjoyed and immediately say "these controls suck".

Wanna talk about absolutely insane control schematics? The original xbox had a MechWarrior game that REQUIRED the purchase of a special controller, the controller had roughly 45-50 controls. (2 joysticks, 3 foot pedals, and 2 thrust sliders, among others) to make you feel like you were in the cockpit. One of the more intensive control schematics and the sheer difficulty made it unplayable by the vast majority. If only they had kept making games for THAT control pad....people would never complain again about simplified controls that we have in this space fighter.

Are the controls "perfect"? For some, yes, for others, no. Then you have the crowd that'll never be happy without a joystick, mind you if you listen to the chat...those running joysticks are the people getting slaughtered more often than not as well...it was not designed for joystick styled flight.

I remember that, the controller was like 100-150 bucks as well.

Andryah... Did you or someone you know manage to successfully map to a joystick (not a controller)? How was the experience? I'm asking because I'm interested in trying it out, and you seem to have some knowledge on this. I'm going to purchase a flight stick anyway for some upcoming space sims so I'd love to know if and how it worked. I think it would enrich the experience for me personally :)

Personally, I used the native mapping software that comes with the G13 to map it's mini-stick for my playtest. If I recall correctly, Rafaman mapped an xbox controller and I know that has been done since launch for this game. I'm not sure if anyone has mapped a standalone joystick yet.... but don't they all come with full mapping software these days?

I think the controls are ok, not the best and far from the worst. Should they have js and game pad support? 100% yes. Using a mouse turns this game into call of duty with jet packs.

For the people saying mouse is better for aiming, youre right. But this is supposed to be a flight game and aiming isn't everything in a lfight game, maneuvering and spatial awareness is and in those categories a mouse loses big time to a game pad or a stick.

And for people trying to map sticks or pads to play gs with, it wont work very well. Unless they allow you to map actual movement of the ship (Yaw, Pitch and Roll) a js or gamepad will not do well in GS. It will work just like playing call of duty or any other shooter with a js or game pad.

Edited by Mallorik

I have mapped a joystick to the GS. I used Xpadder on my MS sidewinder prepro (shows my age). Everything works, but the game is unplayable due to the mechanics of the game itself. I tried several configurations in xpadder, as well as adjusting the setting on my mouse (which is what i bound my stick to). It just didn't seem doable to use a stick for shooting. the flying was very nice but that was about it.

The flaw comes in the little moveable reticule. It was obviously developed for a mouse and KB setup and this is prolly why there is no Joy support. The devs mustve had to make a decision as to the input this type of game would need and knowing everyone already uses a mouse they had to make a moveable crosshair to make it work better. It just doesn't work for a stick.

I really don't see any way to make stick support work in this game except to make a solid non moving cross hair. Since the majority of players use mice this just doesn't fit the mold of what has been made. The reason why warthunder works so well with a stick is because of the stationary crosshair. I know mousers tend to do do better because of the dumbed down advantage of flying with a mouse, but i do just fine in the game and prefer the stick. It is just more fun to fly with a stick, and isn't fun the point of playing these games? I've also learned to appreciate the rudder wobble of WT with stick. Makes it way challenging.

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed with the way things went but the devs did have to appeal to the masses. For a mouse flyer it plays fairly well. I'm just not down with flying with a mouse. Oh well, I still enjoy the rest of the game, i just get no joy out of it....

Well i'm dumb. Just got out of WT and in 3rd person the reticule does move. I just never play that way. So i guess if you like the moving crosshair and can play like that you can probably make it work with a stick in GS. Try Xpadder and dink around with the settings. you might find it comfortable. I just can't see flying like that.

Also, the plane of aim is constant in WT even with the moving airplane where the crosshair seems independent of the ship in GS. I don't know if this matters to some, but I find it just wrong and impossible to aim right. But then again all the lasers in this game bend and perform weird. None of the physics are appropriate in SWTOR, but i dont play it for realism.

Give a joy mapping program a shot. Who knows, it may be for you.

Well i'm dumb. Just got out of WT and in 3rd person the reticule does move. I just never play that way. So i guess if you like the moving crosshair and can play like that you can probably make it work with a stick in GS. Try Xpadder and dink around with the settings. you might find it comfortable. I just can't see flying like that.

Also, the plane of aim is constant in WT even with the moving airplane where the crosshair seems independent of the ship in GS. I don't know if this matters to some, but I find it just wrong and impossible to aim right. But then again all the lasers in this game bend and perform weird. None of the physics are appropriate in SWTOR, but i dont play it for realism.

Give a joy mapping program a shot. Who knows, it may be for you.

From my recollection there is a method to lock crosshairs(c hotkey?). However, that means you are effectively playing without turreted guns while everyone else is.

I agree with you ... provided you have a GOOD mouse. If you have a crappy mouse like mine, then controlling your ship in GS is just rocket science. You wouldn't know how it is like until you are in the same shoe. Yea, so the solution is to get a better mouse. Or don't play. What to do?