Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why force players to subscribe when they still have gametime?

Pyraaa

This is my last post. This person is correct, and the first two people to quote him acted like the earlier robots and flamed him WITHOUT READING the message. That's why it bugs me I'm goaded into another post against folks who aren't reading.

They HAD my credit info, same as any other MMORPG. Its a good anti-gold spammer tactic.

But they FORCED me to make a payment choice and blocked my free 30 days until I did so, which NO MMORPG previously has done. I've played several major ones from day 1.

But, you likely tuned me out and won't bother to make an intelligent argument with facts. Good night.

You do realize that they won't charge you until your 30 free days are up right? You can cancel free of charge any time before that. If that's honestly your only complaint you're making a mountain out of a mole-hill and that's an understatement.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that they won't charge you until your 30 free days are up right? You can cancel free of charge any time before that. If that's honestly your only complaint you're making a mountain out of a mole-hill and that's an understatement.

Because you can game the system, does not make said system ok.

This is my last post. This person is correct, and the first two people to quote him acted like the earlier robots and flamed him WITHOUT READING the message. That's why it bugs me I'm goaded into another post against folks who aren't reading.

They HAD my credit info, same as any other MMORPG. Its a good anti-gold spammer tactic.

But they FORCED me to make a payment choice and blocked my free 30 days until I did so, which NO MMORPG previously has done. I've played several major ones from day 1.

But, you likely tuned me out and won't bother to make an intelligent argument with facts. Good night.

One of the few on this thread that understand my original QQ. Blocked 'FREE' game time (unless you sign up for a monthly subscription)

One person on this thread suggests this is to stop gold farmers from creating dummy accounts.. so those gold farmers that keylog passwords and steal credit cards just to create a 'legit' account weren't in their plan eh.

This is more of a 'subscribe to our game NOW or we keep your free gametime hostage' type deal.

It may be widely practiced by alot of MMO companies but certainly not all. Free gametime is free gametime. if you like the game subscribe, if not then dont.

There is alot of competition for SWTOR that is due to release in a few months so i wanted to wait till the end of the free gametime to decide if i want to subscribe for 6 months and save money, or if this was going to be a temporary game and just spend the 14 bucks for a few months.

Simple as that.

There are MANY mmos comming out

It's because in the chance they were going to charge you, they wanted to know for how much you were going to be charged. Or would you rather have it that they charged you for 180 days without your knowledge? I don't understand the problem here.

Seriously, they probably see making a separate system that takes and holds CC as a security deposit as unnecessary and just made it to prepare for buying more time in the expectation that the user would be wanting to play more and so the user wouldn't have to go through another form entering their CC.

This practice isn't exactly news. It's rather common.

This is the 10th P2P MMO that I've played, unless I'm forgetting some. Every single one of them has requested some form of payment option when setting up my account.

They don't charge you right away. They wait until your first month of included time has expired. They all allow you to cancel your sub at some point prior to being charged for the first time.

For those who want to play beyond the first month I don't really see why this is a problem at all. And it shouldn't really be a surprise since it's laid out plainly on the account page where you enter your game code.

This^

While I don't like the pratice, its the way the MMO cookie crumbles, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone :)

why is it not okay? I've yet to see a valid reason as to why this is a bad system.

It's time to be an adult and understand what it means to pay for a subscription service.

Why is it not okay? How about this: as stated before it prevent you FROM GETTING WHAT YOU PAID FOR unless you game it. Mind telling me how any business practice that attempts to capitalize on your money by not giving you your money worth is okay?

Would you like it if your insurance company did that with your deductible? How about your electricity, in which being paid up for the month means nothing. You just don't get any unless you promise to pay for next month too.

Perhaps it's time to be an adult and understand that before you reply to a someone, you actually understand what they are saying and think it through.

You could and you still would be wrong.

AoC, DCUO, Champions & Rift all required you to enter a CC to play. So did: LOTRO, DDO, ST:O, EvE, PotBS, & Fallen Earth.

Can't say for WoW or Aion as I never played them.

either your trolling or your memory are failing you!

NEVER DID I HAVE TO PUT IN A CREDIT CARD TO PLAY MY FREE 30 DAYS, IN AoC, DCUO, Champions, Rift or LOTRO......

Icant say anything about DDO or Fallen Earth becuse i only played the trials there!

ST:O and Final Fantasy online and SWTOR are the only mmorpg that do it like this!

that im aware of and trust me i bought and played alot of mmorpgs!

But they FORCED me to make a payment choice and blocked my free 30 days until I did so, which NO MMORPG previously has done. I've played several

major ones from day 1.

Rift did. At least I remember being asked to choose my subscription as soon as I put in my key.

There is alot of competition for SWTOR that is due to release in a few months so i wanted to wait till the end of the free gametime to decide if i want to subscribe for 6 months and save money, or if this was going to be a temporary game and just spend the 14 bucks for a few months.

If that's your primary reason for wanting to wait, then just do the monthly for now and change it to 6 month the day before your free time expires. Problem solved, non-issue. I don't really understand why anyone would make a big deal out of this.

If that's your primary reason for wanting to wait, then just do the monthly for now and change it to 6 month the day before your free time expires. Problem solved, non-issue. I don't really understand why anyone would make a big deal out of this.

Because they are bored and think that trolling will make their epeen bigger...just saying.

This is what im seeing from most of the QQers

"WHAAAAA WHAAAA they forced me to go to site, enter CC, setup subscription. They stopped me from playing MY GAME...i have FREE time i want my FREE time"

FYI its Not FREE!! this is a HUGE misnomer it is 'Complimentary' 30 days access. There is a HUGE difference between Free and Complimentary. Its a TY 30 days not earned Bonus Free of charge.

Because the system engineers have to design it according to logical thinking?

I'm sure as the system evolves, they will have more ways to accommodate crazies. But for now, it is perfectly usable.

Why Force us to subscribe in order to redeem the FREE 30 days game time we got for purchasing the game? (ripoff?)

You do realize that subscribing now wont actually charge you until your free time is up right? It just saves you the hassle of doing it 30 days from now, to allow a smooth transition between free time and pay-to-play time.

This is what im seeing from most of the QQers

"WHAAAAA WHAAAA they forced me to go to site, enter CC, setup subscription. They stopped me from playing MY GAME...i have FREE time i want my FREE time"

FYI its Not FREE!! this is a HUGE misnomer it is 'Complimentary' 30 days access. There is a HUGE difference between Free and Complimentary. Its a TY 30 days not earned Bonus Free of charge.

You must be one of the worst fan boys of all times!

Idont know about you but i had to pay for the 30 days, it cost me around 45euro!

you might got it for free i rly have no clue.

But for real are you a complete something something ( iwont type in what i was about to )

What did you think we all paid for a box with 3 dvds in side of it with a install to the game but not able to play it!

Yea sound like the best idea every to put down 45 euro on that, 30 days is not free!

It is included!

And you complain on ppl complaining what do that make you?

And a costumer should allways complain on stuff that they feel cheated off!

Why Force us to subscribe in order to redeem the FREE 30 days game time we got for purchasing the game? (ripoff?)

I've had nothing but good things to say about this game since it had early game access for purchasing the digital deluxe edition.

I've even been trying to recruit my guild from other MMOS to come play SWTOR

But to find out that they REQUIRE you to subscribe even to continue using the gametime you are already entitled to seems like a ripoff to me.

Some people would like to get their entitled free 30 days access without being hastled into subscribing on the third day of use.

Anyone else feel like BIOWARE/LUCAS ARTS/EA act like an AUTO DEALERSHIP that takes your drivers license when you test drive a car?

Just wondering.

Because it's the standard procedure.

Part of the reason is to help combat botters, cheaters and currency sellers/farmers, without this system it would be dirt cheap for those to just get a new box if they get banned (IP is easy to change and/or hide), with this requirement they can block the credit card instead forcing them to get/use a new credit card or (nowadays) buy a gametime card.

Yes they "force" you to set up a subscription but unless you use a gametime card they don't force you to pay anything until your free days are over, you can cancel sub at any time inbetween and still use your free days.

Edited by WereMops

You could and you still would be wrong.

AoC, DCUO, Champions & Rift all required you to enter a CC to play. So did: LOTRO, DDO, ST:O, EvE, PotBS, & Fallen Earth.

Can't say for WoW or Aion as I never played them.

Lies, I say! Neither DDO nor Champions online didn't require a CC to play, at least at near launch time. Same thing can be said about EA's previous MMO, Warhammer Online.

I'm tired of people falsely stating that MMORPGs like WoW, Rift, or old EQ, forced you to buy a subscription before being allowed to play your free 30 days. Sure, they DID ask you to provide credit info, but NONE of them actually forced you to buy game time and forbid you from playing your first 30 day period if you didn't.

Correct.

You pay 80 bucks for the game (the price of collectors edition for most other mmos), then before you can play your 30 days that came with the initial purchase, they want you to choose a subscription plan. Soo glad i didn't buy the 150 dollar collectors edition.

Not only is the CE wayy too overpriced but its like PAYING to test drive a BMW but before you leave the lot you have to sign a lease contract.Sure, you can tear up the lease contract and test drive your over priced BMW anyway (which is a test drive you've already paid for), but it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth.These guys are really taking advantage of the SW fanboys/girls, and may people are blindly playing into their greedy little hands.

Sure, i enjoy the game. I think its a WOW killer... but don't expect the company running this to be loyal to its players if they have shinanegans like this on day 1. Do expect, however, to pay more and get less in the future.

Great business plan. A+

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.