@Bioware: Stop taking your player base for granted.

Hazed

I have been noticing a bunch of good changes around here over the last month or so, however there still seems to be a disconnect between the people working on this game and the people playing it.

First, I want to first thank the new guy on the forums for at least interacting with the community on some level. Kudos to you for at least trying to be on the front line.

Second, I don't know who is in charge at the moment at BW Austin, but it seems to me like that person needs to take a long look at just what is happening to this game.

- GSF: I have a bad feeling about this

- PvP is getting stale

- PvE is getting stale

- The SW IP can no longer keep this thing afloat

Now, I want to say something positive about the game but I can't. There is nothing positive other than slightly increased communication..

really here is what we need

- a timeline of what is to come.. doesn't have to be specific but at least some sort of coherent goal as to what this games future will be

- more interaction between devs and community

- less people overzealously defending any action in this game

- enhance the game engine or scrap it

[ Redacted]

[ Reserved ]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you expect from them... they've pretty much stuck to the same routine since launch...

Daily Areas

Operations

Flashpoints

Makeb was good, but clearly not going to be a common thing and GS is interesting, but could end up being little more than a distraction in the long run. But I think the next two years are going to follow the same pattern as the first two, focus on Daily Areas, Operations and Flashpoints, with a level raising expansion in there somewhere... perhaps.

Certainly not the first time you have been completely wrong.

I am a member of the player based you are attempting to usurp representation of. I do not authorize you to speak for me as a member of the player base.

wonder how many pages before the OP gets changed beyond what would be reasonable edits.

One person screaming at the top of their lungs claiming they speak for anyone beyond themselves then attack anyone who disagrees as they are disagreeing with the general community.

wish there was a "lets take this outside" so can just lock the door behind them.

Not sure what you expect from them... they've pretty much stuck to the same routine since launch...

Daily Areas

Operations

Flashpoints

Makeb was good, but clearly not going to be a common thing and GS is interesting, but could end up being little more than a distraction in the long run. But I think the next two years are going to follow the same pattern as the first two, focus on Daily Areas, Operations and Flashpoints, with a level raising expansion in there somewhere... perhaps.

Yeah - like he said, stale. That's why I'm so excited about Starfighter. Stale or not, it's the way MMO's roll these times, nothing unexpected here.

I have been noticing a bunch of good changes around here over the last month or so, however there still seems to be a disconnect between the people working on this game and the people playing it.

First, I want to first thank the new guy on the forums for at least interacting with the community on some level. Kudos to you for at least trying to be on the front line.

Second, I don't know who is in charge at the moment at BW Austin, but it seems to me like that person needs to take a long look at just what is happening to this game.

- PvP is getting stale

- PvE is getting stale

Now, I want to say something positive about the game but I can't. There is nothing positive other than slightly increased communication..

- a timeline of what is to come.. doesn't have to be specific but at least some sort of coherent goal as to what this games future will be

[ Redacted]

[ Reserved ]

You used a lot of words to say "I'm paying for a game I no longer enjoy."

- PvP is getting stale

- PvE is getting stale

Most of us have a good feeling about GSF, it looks fun

PVP and PVE may be getting stale, but they are adding things, admittedly they could add things faster, but the gSF project probably slowed them down.

A timeline would only have people watching the calender demanding why things aren't here, I wish it wasn't so, but people will demand they stick to an estimated timeline.

The used to have more interaction between Devs and Community, but the community turned agressive so they stopped.

People Overzealously defending the game isn't something EA/Bioware has any say on, and Overzealously is a matter of opinion.

The game engine is constantly being tweeked, they won't rewrite it unless the game fails since that is expensive, but they do tweek it all the time.

Most of us have a good feeling about GSF, it looks fun

PVP and PVE may be getting stale, but they are adding things, admittedly they could add things faster, but the gSF project probably slowed them down.

A timeline would only have people watching the calender demanding why things aren't here, I wish it wasn't so, but people will demand they stick to an estimated timeline.

The used to have more interaction between Devs and Community, but the community turned agressive so they stopped.

People Overzealously defending the game isn't something EA/Bioware has any say on, and Overzealously is a matter of opinion.

The game engine is constantly being tweeked, they won't rewrite it unless the game fails since that is expensive, but they do tweek it all the time.

^--------- Alex nailed it, IMO. :)

Won't... scrapping the game engine mean scrapping the game?

Not necessarily. I can think of one MMO where a sudden engine change occurred. Everquest implemented a brand new engine with its SoL expansion, nearly 3 years after launch.

Still, I'm not sure if something like that is possible with today's MMOs (and more complicated 3D engines), not that BW has the resources, money and manpower to be devoted to such an ambitious project to begin with.

Huh? Here? I think you got the wrong game...they use to be good...but they haven't been for months now.

Yeah, their attempts at "community engagement" lately have been pretty much a smiley face in a random thread and running updates on whether or not the servers will be down.

We haven't had any Developer Blogs, Companion 101s, FAQs... meaningful FAQs, mind, not the old crappy ones we used to have, for months now. It would be nice to have them again, and have at least some semblance of... interest from the Community Team and the Developers toward the community, because it doesn't seem to be there.

I mean, my god, I tweeted Alexander Freed this afternoon about SCORPIO and got a full set of, like, five tweets back from him about her design. If I'd asked Mr. Musco for that I never would have heard a word. Ever. At all. Forever.

Yeah, their attempts at "community engagement" lately have been pretty much a smiley face in a random thread and running updates on whether or not the servers will be down.

We haven't had any Developer Blogs, Companion 101s, FAQs... meaningful FAQs, mind, not the old crappy ones we used to have, for months now. It would be nice to have them again, and have at least some semblance of... interest from the Community Team and the Developers toward the community, because it doesn't seem to be there.

I mean, my god, I tweeted Alexander Freed this afternoon about SCORPIO and got a full set of, like, five tweets back from him about her design. If I'd asked Mr. Musco for that I never would have heard a word. Ever. At all. Forever.

Considering the posts I've seen just 'today', I don't blame them a bit for being distant. This forum community is insanely aggressive, antagonistic and openly insulting to the company and its employees over real and imagined problems. In my opinion, the ban hammer should be swung far more easily and often to correct this attitude problem, but thankfully for the offenders, the forum managers are far more lenient than myself.

Wow...that's pretty cool that he replied :) Great author...best storyline by far! He should be contracted to do every story going forward, especially since they've moved away from class stories. And you're right about Eric...sadly.

Considering the posts I've seen just 'today', I don't blame them a bit for being distant.

Then don't apply for the job since you're so afraid of feedback from customers. The tone on the forums is directly related to their involvement in the community.

We haven't had any Developer Blogs....... in months.....

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20131118

Not saying they communicate enough. Enough is never achieved in MMO communications IMO.

Edited by Andryah

Then don't apply for the job since you're so afraid of feedback from customers. The tone on the forums is directly related to their involvement in the community.

By your own admission, they were far more involved in months past, but then the community gets snarky, aggressive and insulting, so they back off on the communication's front and now you're saying that the community's snarky aggressive insulting tone is due to them backing off?

Causation usually precedes the result.

Dammit I thought you quit!

- them to CONTINUE putting out timelines like they have for summer and the holidays

- people to READ the communication between the devs and the community

- people (hazed) to stop making posts of no value

- people on the forums to learn what an engine is

[ Redacted]

[ Reserved ]

Fixed it for you

Considering the posts I've seen just 'today', I don't blame them a bit for being distant. This forum community is insanely aggressive, antagonistic and openly insulting to the company and its employees over real and imagined problems. In my opinion, the ban hammer should be swung far more easily and often to correct this attitude problem, but thankfully for the offenders, the forum managers are far more lenient than myself.

^^

I have been feeling the same way about this community since launch.. It seems the age old lesson of, 'If you don't have something nice to say then don't say it all..' has been lost..

Constructive criticism is one thing.. Being down right rude and mean is another..

some of this "feedback' is just pure vial hate, and does nothing to help. There are ways to hold a discussion and address concerns.

If this were a brick and mortar business people doing what they do on here would more than likely asked to leave, slapped with a trespass and asked to never come back. Or would be treated about as likely as any other person standing out front with a giant sign all by their lonesome demanding some sort of action. As customers walk by and maybe ask a manager or receptionist about what is going on outside, and then politely say "please ignore them"...

Yeah, they did say they'd more lenient after swathes of complaints - it's both a boon (we covered gender identity and pronouns recently in the SGRA thread) and a curse (...lots of stuff) - I think the anger spiral is somewhat self-perpetuating at this point: people get angry at lack of communication, staff don't communicate because we suck, people get angry, no communication, etc., etc.

The three-strikes system, though, is pretty fair, though I know that some of the old decisions (under Mr. Gonzales) were a bit weird at times. In part seemingly because of cultural differences.

Wow...that's pretty cool that he replied :) Great author...best storyline by far! He should be contracted to do every story going forward, especially since they've moved away from class stories. And you're right about Eric...sadly.

Yeah :D He's really nice and was quite happy to help out (also, my question wasn't covered by the NDA he's still under, which helped.)