What is the point of Expertice

sdjonsson

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I fail to see the point of expertice on gear, I mean, it is capped at 2018, and no matter what gear you are wearing, you get bolstered to that cap the moment you join a warzone.

I read a post about a guy, full PvP geared, with 19xx expertice, but what is the point, he said himself, that when joining a warzone, he get bolstered to 2018.

So please tell me, why is PVP gear better than PvE gear ?

Not all gear gets bolstered to 2018. Lvl 54 crafteds and lvl 9 greens do for some reason, I have 54 implants and green belt/bracers that I'm using while I get replacements, and I have 1500 exp outside of WZs and 2018 inside. But if you try wearing 55 gear, like 69s/72s/78s bolster will give you less exp, in full 72s you'll have about ~1200 exp inside wzs.

As to the point, it's supposed to level the playing field, but it's too strange an animal.

There are magical combinations of gear that work and there are magical combinations that don't work. No matter what you're "safe" if you have full Obroan because even -that- get's bolstered in some ways to match the top of the scale but there's little argument that bolster is one of the several colossal pvp fiascos in this game. That said it used to be much worse than it is now. Edited by Savej

I still think the best solution is to dump Expertise entirely. Change it around so you can win basic, elite and ultimate comms depending on reg or ranked, daily and weekly you're doing. Convert existing PVP gear up to the appropriate non-expertise gear (convert mod by mod, implant by implant, etc.) and you'd have a much more open game that encourages more people to play more parts of it. You'd certainly get more people doing PV dailies if they earned regular comms for it.

I still think the best solution is to dump Expertise entirely. Change it around so you can win basic, elite and ultimate comms depending on reg or ranked, daily and weekly you're doing. Convert existing PVP gear up to the appropriate non-expertise gear (convert mod by mod, implant by implant, etc.) and you'd have a much more open game that encourages more people to play more parts of it. You'd certainly get more people doing PV dailies if they earned regular comms for it.

I'm almost completely lost as to why this wasn't done from the beginning. The reason Wow separated pvp gear from pve was because they were concerned pve'ers would get pissed that pvp'ers got raid level gear from doing warzones. But then pve'ers got pissed because they couldn't pvp with their pve gear. They aren't going to be happy with pvp'ers no matter what. It's probably too late to fix it now.

I agree with removing expertise, total waste of time , maybe thats what they want though. I cant see why PvP cant be done with normal gear, with raiding having to use gear obtained from a raiding progression of easy to hard , with this gear only usable for the raids. If you aint got the gear for the next op or fp you cant enter it.

Then you probably wont have people getting kicked because of their gear.

PVP gear is easy to get. Stop QQing.

PVE you generally have to farm operations to get the best gear (which u can only do once a week for each op and rolls/ your guilds DKP come into play here) which is more difficult then backpeddling your way through a few wzs to get coms that have no cap. There would be no real incentive to do an op more then once if it wasnt for gearing.

That alone is enough reason for the seperation. Get over it.

Also you want people to do pvp because they want to do pvp, not because they want to gear up for pve...

There is many reasons for it.. but people just can't get over it...

I do pve raiding and PVP btw.

Edited by AngusFTW

Says the person with a Expertise cap. But for those of us without, we're fodder. You NEED expertise, but you have to have it to get it. It's a barrier to entry that basically changes what was a fun aspect of the game(Huttball is amazing pre-50) to a slog where you are dead ALL the time and just being on the team is enough of a handicap that you are going to lose and get less point, which means you will be a liability for that much longer.

Nevermind when you are out questing or something and someone with a full set of pvp gear decides to be a dick(for some reason it's always Ops and Shadows) then all you can do is die.

Every time an MMO game(pick one, even WoW has done this) adds a stat to make the pvp more "balanced" and "fun", all it really does is alienate the people it was supposed to help and end up pissing off at least half the player base.

Says the person with a Expertise cap. But for those of us without, we're fodder. You NEED expertise, but you have to have it to get it. It's a barrier to entry that basically changes what was a fun aspect of the game(Huttball is amazing pre-50) to a slog where you are dead ALL the time and just being on the team is enough of a handicap that you are going to lose and get less point, which means you will be a liability for that much longer.

Nevermind when you are out questing or something and someone with a full set of pvp gear decides to be a dick(for some reason it's always Ops and Shadows) then all you can do is die.

Every time an MMO game(pick one, even WoW has done this) adds a stat to make the pvp more "balanced" and "fun", all it really does is alienate the people it was supposed to help and end up pissing off at least half the player base.

You can get full conq from zip in 3-6 days of regular queueing.

How about you just get at it instead of QQing here?

Couple things, first and formost, if you are pveing on a pvp server dont be mad that u get ganked once in awhile. It happens to all of us, if u want to be left alone to pve, then go on those servers, simple fix. Also, when u hit 55 you could easly have 2 pieces of pvp gear off the bat if ur maxed on comms, all of us that have the pvp gear had to slug through wzs againsed top geared enemy, and yes you will die alot but if u wish to compete in pvp u need that pvp gear. Its nice to have 2 different sets 1 for pve, and 1 for pvp. They shouldnt get rid of the differences in the gear due to, what would the point of doing both if all the gear had the same impact. And yes you can get a full set of pvp gear in about 1 to 7 days depending on how much u play. Pve gear takes a little longer but as we all know that is the nature of mmos when it comes to pve gear.

All in all there is no need to gripe or ask why is there expertice in pvp gear, simple answer is it keeps the two sets appart. Stop acting like a carebear please.

Couple things, first and formost, if you are pveing on a pvp server dont be mad that u get ganked once in awhile. It happens to all of us, if u want to be left alone to pve, then go on those servers, simple fix. Also, when u hit 55 you could easly have 2 pieces of pvp gear off the bat if ur maxed on comms, all of us that have the pvp gear had to slug through wzs againsed top geared enemy, and yes you will die alot but if u wish to compete in pvp u need that pvp gear. Its nice to have 2 different sets 1 for pve, and 1 for pvp. They shouldnt get rid of the differences in the gear due to, what would the point of doing both if all the gear had the same impact. And yes you can get a full set of pvp gear in about 1 to 7 days depending on how much u play. Pve gear takes a little longer but as we all know that is the nature of mmos when it comes to pve gear.

All in all there is no need to gripe or ask why is there expertice in pvp gear, simple answer is it keeps the two sets appart. Stop acting like a carebear please.

There would be no real incentive to do an op more then once if it wasnt for gearing.
Achievements? Titles? Vanity Items? Fun?

There's plenty of ways to incentivize PvE.

I mean I'd assume most of us PvP for fun. Gearing up doesn't take long, after all Obroan is only marginally better than Conq. The gear is just a means to an end. So who really cares how it's earned?

Expertise is just a fluff stat that allows Bioware to effectively double their end game "content" by forcing two paths of progression. Not all MMOs do it that way though, and people still raid.

I'd rather artificial gates like expertise weren't used. Let the players gear/progress whichever way they prefer. Honestly who cares?

Edited by SenatorPalpaTANG

Achievements? Titles? Vanity Items? Fun?

There's plenty of ways to incentivize PvE.

I mean I'd assume most of us PvP for fun. Gearing up doesn't take long, after all Obroan is only marginally better than Conq. The gear is just a means to an end. So who really cares how it's earned?

Expertise is just a fluff stat that allows Bioware to effectively double their end game "content" by forcing two paths of progression. Not all MMOs do it that way though, and people still raid.

I'd rather artificial gates like expertise weren't used. Let the players gear/progress whichever way they prefer. Honestly who cares?

I absolutely agree!!!

Wait, I'm lost, so is it even worth it to grind out PvP gear or WZs? Or should you just grind PvE gear since it gets bolstered anyway???

PvE gear of 69s or above will NOT get you to 2018 Expertise even with bolster. However, you will have higher stats with the top level PvE stuff. It mostly balances out -- the increased Expertise of PvP gear will give you a bit more survivability, but not much.

In short, PvP gear has a slight advantage in PvP over top of the line PvE gear. Which is at is should be IMO -- if anything it should be more of an advantage.

So back to your main Q -- is it worth it? Depends how you play. I don't raid -- I PvP a lot. Clearly worth it in my case. If you only PvP sometimes and raid all the time -- probably not worth the effort to focus on getting PvP gear.

PVE you generally have to farm operations to get the best gear (which u can only do once a week for each op and rolls/ your guilds DKP come into play here) which is more difficult then backpeddling your way through a few wzs to get coms that have no cap. There would be no real incentive to do an op more then once if it wasnt for gearing.

Also you want people to do pvp because they want to do pvp, not because they want to gear up for pve...

You can buy a full set of entry PVE gear, it cannot be any easier to get. Stop QQing.

The separation of pvp and pve stats in an already low population game serves no purpose aside from alienating players and creating gear walls for content.

Im not sure what the solution is, but blocking players from entering pve or pvp via a gear wall is certainly not it.

But the funny thing is the gear wall doesnt exist for PvP...just for PVE. Because bolster.

So, as you say in the Original thread question...whats the point?

There is none. Stupid rules not well thought out are stupid.

The separation of pvp and pve stats in an already low population game serves no purpose aside from alienating players and creating gear walls for content.

Im not sure what the solution is, but blocking players from entering pve or pvp via a gear wall is certainly not it.

But the funny thing is the gear wall doesnt exist for PvP...just for PVE. Because bolster.

So, as you say in the Original thread question...whats the point?

There is none. Stupid rules not well thought out are stupid.

^^^ This.

the only good pvp gear is for is for open world pvp, unfortunately its not even that anymore bolster exists in illium during the gree event. in my opinion bolster should not play a part in

1. ranked pvp.

2. lvl 55 pvp.

3. open world pvp.

make the gear mean something again, as it is folks are going in with raid gear and still remaining competitive on dps, but since most of them don't pvp that often they will go into a WZ to relieve bordom or kill time and wont even care about winning on some occations.

Edited by DarthSabreth

make the gear mean something again, as it is folks are going in with raid gear and still remaining competitive on dps, ut since most of them don't pvp that often they will go into a WZ to relieve bordom or kill time and wont even care about winning on some occations.

1) It isn't the PVE players who seem to not care about objectives, at least in my experience, or no more so than it is the PVP crowd.

2) The best thing BW could do is dump expertise and PVP specific gear and move on. If PVP gave basic/elite/ultimate comms (depending on the type of warzone and daily or weekly) you'd have a LOT more people playing and more people certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. Of course, that would mean there would have to actually be a matching system that looked at gear and classes.

Edited by DanNV

The constant stream of abuse from the so called 'elite' PvPers for not wearing the top tier you do not own is enough to put a lot of people off, PvP is now an elitist club where the chosen few get to dominate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.