Is SWTOR better than WoW?

Spreadpanic

they did it best, because you didn't need to visit an NPC to lock graphics on, it was handled with a vanity tab on the character sheet and it kept the graphic item from cluttering up your bank or inventory. LOTRO did a lot of nice QoL innovations, like group phasing and musical instruments first.

Yeah, that's a significant difference, makes me wish others had copied it more closely.

DDO, AoC and several others also had the appearance tab - but only for cosmetic items you bought from their store, you couldn't put any armors that you found in game and happened to like into those slots IIRC.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hold on hold ON.

Petka and Vasiliy Ivanovich game series?

such thing exists?

how the hell did I not know? where can I get it?

(unless you grew up on Chapaev and Petka book, movie and countless jokes, you might not understand why I'm so excited)

sorry for a slight derail

To be honest, these game series has very little to do with the actual history. The events of the first game (and the second one to some extent) are happening in the appropriate time period, but they do not follow the history events and are designed just as a fun adventure. The third game and others involve time travel and take you to the other periods of time, continuing the said adventure there.

As for where to get it... it's not that easy really. Not if you don't know Russian at least.

First, the game series was created in Russia and to my knowledge was never officially localized in other languages. However, it's possible to find the fan based localizations with English subtitles and menu in the web if you look really hard.

Second, about the actual purchase, i've seen just the original version of the games sold exclusively in Russian online stores. So imo your best bet is torrents and maybe Ebay.

P.S. I will never EVER forgive Blizzard writers for what they did to both Jaina and Thrall.

I'm personally happy for Thrall. He no longer has to carry a burden of being a Warchief of the entire Horde, he can be a peaceful shaman and take care of his family. A good life for an orc of his kind.

But Jaina... Jaina have seen her entire city obliterated, grew lots of gray hair and got her mind damaged. Sux to be her, i agree.

f2p =/= failure

If a game was originaly designed with f2p in mind and launches as f2p, than your statement is correct.

But if it was designed as a sub based one and at some point had to change the model in order to survive, in such case f2p = failure imo.

there wasn't enough content to get you to lvl 60, so people literally had to grind mobs here and there.

I guess this was somewhat acceptable back in 2004-2005, especially when all the other MMO's of that time were almost pure grindfest to my knowledge. The whole concept of leveling through quests was new and fresh. But such a thing is definitely not acceptable in 2013 (yes, Makeb, i'm looking at you).

I guess this was somewhat acceptable back in 2004-2005, especially when all the other MMO's of that time were almost pure grindfest to my knowledge. The whole concept of leveling through quests was new and fresh. But such a thing is definitely not acceptable in 2013 (yes, Makeb, i'm looking at you).

That's a really good point now that you bring it up. God, I remember starting City of Heroes earlier that year and the way to level early on was forming "street-sweeper" teams and going to hazard zones and pulling what you could to AOE and grind exp, even though the game had instanced missions. I'm glad that's not a playstyle anymore :)

That's a really good point now that you bring it up. God, I remember starting City of Heroes earlier that year and the way to level early on was forming "street-sweeper" teams and going to hazard zones and pulling what you could to AOE and grind exp, even though the game had instanced missions. I'm glad that's not a playstyle anymore :)

In it's defense... the CoH Devs hadn't really intended for that to be the way to level.

Hence the severe nerfs to just about everything that followed with the "Enhancement Diversification" patch, or whatever it was called.

No more rounding up half the friggin' zone and training them into a dumpster to be AoE'd to death. :p

Devs have learned from their mistakes, so now on most games the mobs;

- Aren't worth that much XP.

- Are pretty much guaranteed to murder you if you pull that many of them, no matter what a bad*ss you might be.

- Tend to reset if pulled too far away from their spawning location.

Edited by Callaron

To be honest, these game series has very little to do with the actual history. The events of the first game (and the second one to some extent) are happening in the appropriate time period, but they do not follow the history events and are designed just as a fun adventure. The third game and others involve time travel and take you to the other periods of time, continuing the said adventure there.

As for where to get it... it's not that easy really. Not if you don't know Russian at least.

First, the game series was created in Russia and to my knowledge was never officially localized in other languages. However, it's possible to find the fan based localizations with English subtitles and menu in the web if you look really hard.

Second, about the actual purchase, i've seen just the original version of the games sold exclusively in Russian online stores. So imo your best bet is torrents and maybe Ebay.

I'm personally happy for Thrall. He no longer has to carry a burden of being a Warchief of the entire Horde, he can be a peaceful shaman and take care of his family. A good life for an orc of his kind.

But Jaina... Jaina have seen her entire city obliterated, grew lots of gray hair and got her mind damaged. Sux to be her, i agree.

If a game was originaly designed with f2p in mind and launches as f2p, than your statement is correct.

But if it was designed as a sub based one and at some point had to change the model in order to survive, in such case f2p = failure imo.

1. dude. gimme!!!! I think its hilarious and yes i read, speak, write russian fluently, so that's not going to be an issue. I just wasn't able to find anything on my own, other than couple of cover arts

2. its not as much as situations that I resent as character "development" Jaina of Warcraft 3 was almost gone, to be replaced by this barely effectual damsel in distress in Wrath and it only got worse as time went by. and Thrall.. who always had Mary Sue tendencies just went completely overboard in Cata and beyond. (and I'm not the biggest fan of Aggra, I thought her character development and relationship with Thrall was fragmented) its like they took all their ability and used it to fix Varian Chin, leaving everyone else behind. at least Sylvanas going all homicidal tirant makes sense. and the worst victim of it all was Garrosh, who's just a complete train wreck. killing him in the latest raid almost feels like mercy.

3. LOTRO was originally subscription only and then went f2p with sub option. so did secret world. and several other games. I wouldn't call them failures. why? because it was restructuring, rather than grasping at straws. the only games that survive comfortably as subscription only nowadays, other than WoW are games who were never looking for giant numbers in a first place and are happy with small niche audience (of the top of my head - EVE)

4. I'll give you Makeb. not my favorite place at all, weak story (especially pubside) and definitely too scarce on quests. but outside of Makeb - you actually have too many quests when getting to 50, so you can pick and chose what to do, or get to 50 around Voss (some even earlier, apparently, me I usually get there around voss, even while skipping side quests) and that 1 to 50 content is what SWTOR launched with.

1. dude. gimme!!!! I think its hilarious and yes i read, speak, write russian fluently, so that's not going to be an issue. I just wasn't able to find anything on my own, other than couple of cover arts

Try this one:

http://www.1c-interes.ru/catalog/all6963/16269293/

2. its not as much as situations that I resent as character "development" Jaina of Warcraft 3 was almost gone, to be replaced by this barely effectual damsel in distress in Wrath and it only got worse as time went by. and Thrall.. who always had Mary Sue tendencies just went completely overboard in Cata and beyond. (and I'm not the biggest fan of Aggra, I thought her character development and relationship with Thrall was fragmented) its like they took all their ability and used it to fix Varian Chin, leaving everyone else behind. at least Sylvanas going all homicidal tirant makes sense. and the worst victim of it all was Garrosh, who's just a complete train wreck. killing him in the latest raid almost feels like mercy.

Hmm... yeah, i can understand why Jaina and Thrall character development may frustrate some people.

Speaking about Aggra, she's just a "Thrall's mate" to us, her character nor her relationship with Thrall have never been seriously developed.

Sylvanas... now that's something interesting. Sylvanas is a pandora's box which, after the Garrosh's removal from power, is about to open. I know what she's capable of and will observe her future actions with interest.

Garrosh... i have no idea where his hatred towards the Alliance have come from, nor why does he think that the entire Azeroth should belong to the Horde. Now about killing him - we actually don't, we just knock him out so he's taken on a trial back to Pandaria. However, he manages to escape the said trial, travel to the past of a different world and assemble his new and shiny "Iron Horde" :p

3. LOTRO was originally subscription only and then went f2p with sub option. so did secret world. and several other games. I wouldn't call them failures. why? because it was restructuring, rather than grasping at straws. the only games that survive comfortably as subscription only nowadays, other than WoW are games who were never looking for giant numbers in a first place and are happy with small niche audience (of the top of my head - EVE)

Why is this restructuring even needed if the game does fine? As i said, this only happens when the game fails to stick to its original planned course. That doesn't mean that the game is a total failure, but it means that there was a major fail in its management.

4. I'll give you Makeb. not my favorite place at all, weak story (especially pubside) and definitely too scarce on quests. but outside of Makeb - you actually have too many quests when getting to 50, so you can pick and chose what to do, or get to 50 around Voss (some even earlier, apparently, me I usually get there around voss, even while skipping side quests) and that 1 to 50 content is what SWTOR launched with.

Yeah, no complains about the 1-50 leveling process. But Makeb... a situation when the new content runs out when you're just half way to the new level cap is just ridiculous this days.

thank you for the link!

and well, game doing ok often means its doing well enough for maintenance, but could do better if more interesting content and frequent updates and better profit numbers are wanted. and well - its EA, big company wants big numbers. at least that's my theory.

it could have been age of reckoning, that never went into free 2 play, but instead went into life support mode shortly after release to be canceled once license ran out. that's how I look at it anyways - if they are still trying, that means there's something to work with, its only failure when they just give up.

as for character development, Garrosh... he's just, I'm not sure writers could figure out what to do with him exactly, and Horde was getting a little too sympathetic with what Thrall and Cairne (/cry) so they made him into a "mwahaha" villain :/ . and fer cripes sakes, they need to read evil overlord's handbook or something.

I'm getting very very worried about Vojin. I like the dude and they gave him a few ranks in ****** in Pandaria. I hope they don't screw him up.

I'm sure that at least 75% of you have played both. Which is better in 3 sentences or less? I'm playing both currently but considering dropping one of the subs and can't decide.

if u ever played WoW when it was still Vanilla and how it is now then u know how badly they screwed it up over there....

So Yes SWTOR is currently better

SWTOR versus WoW has been beaten to death already. It is my opinion that no game is truly better than another, aside from ones own opinion. So form your own opinion. Do you enjoy SWTOR over WoW? Or Vice versa? I enjoy SWTOR, and most likely will never touch WoW. But far be it from me to tell another player what games to play.

if u ever played WoW when it was still Vanilla and how it is now then u know how badly they screwed it up over there....

So Yes SWTOR is currently better

Yeah, they screwed up really badly. The aftermath of the said screw up is just horrible: all classes and specs are now viable and competitive; each spec has it's own unique mechanics to handle and style; most of the precious grind is gone; raid encounters are more complex and engaging than ever; there is now end-game content for any kind of players, from casuals to hardcore people; there is now a solid storyline with interesting twists going on... the list of failures goes on and on. Yeah, i absolutely agree with you, that game is totally ruined.

SWTOR versus WoW has been beaten to death already. It is my opinion that no game is truly better than another, aside from ones own opinion. So form your own opinion. Do you enjoy SWTOR over WoW? Or Vice versa? I enjoy SWTOR, and most likely will never touch WoW. But far be it from me to tell another player what games to play.

Imo it's not about opinion. It's obvious that certain aspects of one game are much better than of the other and vice versa.

For example, SWTOR leveling beats WoW leveling:

In TOR, the main focus of the story is on your character. He/she is developing and eventually becomes known and revered in the Galaxy. Many NPC acknowledge you for who you are and show great respect. At the end of your storyline, you become one of the most important figures in the Galaxy. Everyome knows who you are and reveres you.

Aside from that, there are such things as cutscenes and a need to make a choice. Both things enhance the leveling experience greatly. Oh, and each class has its own personal story, which also adds to that.

In WoW, however, your character is noone. No matter what heroic deeds he does, he remains nothing but a faceless adventurer. You may have saved the world countless times, but noone would ever acknowledge that and to everyone you will remain just a "champion" or an "adventurer".

Speaking about the gameplay part of questing - it has become much more polished over the years, but the core of it is very old and it shows.

However, WoW is a clear winner when it comes to end-game content:

SWTOR can provide just some FPs, Ops for organized groups and daily hubs. If you are not a part of an active guild, you're pretty much stuck with Group Finder and dailies, which become old pretty fast.

In WoW, there are many various types of end-game content that can appease a much larger pool of players. Literally, there is something fun to do for almost everyone. Yeah, i admit that you won't last long without a friendly guild here either, but even in that case the game is capable of holding you for a much longer period of time and will provide much more fun.

Edited by Trollokdamus

I am going through the same Dilemna you are.. and to be honest.. I don't know. I like the updated graphics of TOR and all though WoW has much more fluff.. I feel like I have already done a lot of it. I've killed the rares, maxed fishing/arch/professions.. and I can't really BRING myself to level up another character after experiencing the beauty that is TOR's leveling process.

I haven't gotten to end game in TOR yet so I can't comment on whether or not it's lacking.. but I also don't have a good guild in WoW and have only done raid finder this expansion.. which is like.. I might as well be running on auto pilot.

Anyways.. that's why I am playing TOR for now. I do expect to go back to WoW for the new xpac though :)

My humble opinion:

Old WoW, no. SWTOR is not better. New WoW, yes. SWTOR is better

Let's talk WoW.

As mentioned on Blizzcon, fighting over a flight point in Tarren Mill was fun.

Having a serious conflict between Horde and Allience was fun.

Game was actually difficult, raids were difficult.

What changed ?

I mean did you see the new skill trees in WoW ? Definition of dumbing down !

Did you see the new rotations of some classes ?

Level up to 90 instantly ? Seriously whats Blizzard thinking ?

Blizzard chose the casual way in order to stay in the market. Whole questing is not different than playing Skyrim, instead of Morrowind. In a market with this much competition, they made the right move and stabilized their position. However, they lost players like me who's been playing that game ever since Vanilla.

SWTOR ? Hard to tell really i'm currently enjoying the game a lot.

The new space content comes with possibilities. It might really create awesome PvE content along with PvP.

Item customization is by far the best i have ever seen in any game. There is just too many options.

However, its so easy to tell how easy rdps rotations has become. Raiding content is still challenging but if there is no player skill involved, then there is no point.

They still haven'T changed the %5 dps difference policy between classes. We want equality, that's all we want. Or lower the difference between a sage and gunslinger.

In conclusion, both has problems. WoW has signed the deal and ended itself with Pandaria for me. Warlords of Dreanor sounds like a good call, since they are looking at back. Fight Grom Hellscream ? Hell i have to be there. But with those talent trees ?

No.

SWTOR has problems as well, but it has nothing that can't be fixed. They only need to find a really good balance of player skill, and quality of life for classes, engaging stories and encounters for players. It's taken some good turns and bad turns as well.

Time will show what happens next.

Edited by Hakkology

I keep hearing people whine and moan about how "SWTOR is only copy-pasty WoW!" Well I never played WoW, and probably won't unless they allow Worgan Monks, so ha! I can enjoy The Old Republic on pure Kotor nostalgia alone! And the game is fun in my opinion.

• 2 months later...
I'm currently subscribed to both. changing them on by monthly basis. WoW is keeping me playing only because I'm in one of those top guilds. ToR is more fun, more RP in every way, the game engine sux, but if you can get by it, ToR is really great game. WoW works fine but its getting raped with every new patch by the developers. The story of ToR is pure and meaningful, the story of WoW is repetitive and abused like the new Star Trek movies. Time travel all around. Lame.

In my opinion, WoW is the best MMO on the market, it is the most complete, it has the best balance, it has better raid tactics, it isn't buggy, the battlegrounds are more fun and more varied and the engine works very well.

However swtor is currently my favourite, which is largely down to its relation to Kotor. Also swtor has improved a lot in the last year. I really think they need to start addressing the issues with the engine it is by far the biggest problem this game faces. Imagine an alterac valley style warzone on swtor the engine simply could not handle it.

Edited by RTCBrad

Ive been playing swtor for a year now and just recently tried playing wow. I really cant get into wow. I love swtor I love the mechanics, being able to change my quick bars (im a clicker, not good at hotkeys), that there are 8 different classes with their own unique stories, the legacy system, the pvp warzones, dogfights, and most especially its star wars. So id say stick with this game. though this game does have quite a bit of bugs but hey which game doesnt. And can you fly a starfighter in wow and get up to 7 useful companions and most of which you want to kill. Also its star wars. and they dont change things to fit with a holiday season. Life day kind of did that but not as bad as wow did by themeing an entire area with christmas stuff. Did I forget to mention swtor is star wars. If I did Its star wars. LOLz

I mean did you see the new skill trees in WoW ? Definition of dumbing down !

The skill trees in WoW are much better than in SWTOR, even thought they are simpler. In SWTOR, theres one spec thats the best, with some slight variations around that. You're pretty much locked. In WoW, atleast for the classes I play, the different talents are more situational and personal prefrence.

WoW > SWTOR. And thats coming from a hardcore SWTOR-fan.

1. WOW is WAY TOO Cartoonish for me... SWTOR more "Artistic"

2. WOW gives me vertigo after about 10 minutes and makes me want to vomit... I'm not sure why that is... Motion sickness is the only way I can describe it. I don't seem to have that problem with SWTOR.

3. SWTOR is Star Wars, we have light sabers, energy weapons, thermal detonators and meaningful missions, not just kill/harvest/grind, grind, grind (well at least on PVE side). PVP is still a grind :(