The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Galactic starfighter expansion

GrimmjowLover

Who else is REALLY REALLY REALLY excited for the new space expansion?!?!?!??!

Cause i am :D

I saw the video and totally lost all my marbles, it all looks so very cool and the best part that its FREE.

So i wont have to spend any money on it! Apart from the occasional cartel purchase!

IM SO EXCITED OHHH EEEMMMMM EEFFFFFF GEEEEEEEEEEE.

I think the fighting show in the video was REALLY FREAKING COOL.

ESPECIALLY the end part of the video where the ship pulled behind the enemy and shot a big missile at him :3

Leave your thoughts below!

:rak_03::ph_thank_you::rak_cool:and May the force be with you!!! :D

I'm really excited too. I hope they release more specific details about how the combat will be played. ie. is it combat on rails like the current space missions or will it be truly twitch-based? It's hard to tell in the video. I really hope it's twitch-based! I also hope you don't win by having the best items which is how SWG: Jump to Lightspeed kind of died off. Customising your ship looks sweet though.

More info would be good Bioware, but you've got me excited!

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like the same tube shooter crap that we have now.

It's been confirmed this update has made a deliberate effort to veer away from the 'on-rails' combat to allow for a free space experience. With any luck, though this is speculation, free roam in space may well be possible one day! :jawa_biggrin:

Hello.

I'm sort of new to posting on the forums but been reading for a while, I thought I would share my opinion here.

As much as this new update looks brilliant for PVP-Space combat one of the questions I ask myself.

"A full expansion for the revamped space battles?"

So far we can speculate and say its only PvP however I would like to think there is alot more to this, I would like to think even the current missions we already have get revamped into the same game play style. If they did this idea it would be interesting as you would be using the fighter ship as opposed to the ships we currently have.

Other cool things would be adding as previous posters have said free room things to do. Perhaps new PvE missions and stuff.

Hello.

I'm sort of new to posting on the forums but been reading for a while, I thought I would share my opinion here.

As much as this new update looks brilliant for PVP-Space combat one of the questions I ask myself.

"A full expansion for the revamped space battles?"

So far we can speculate and say its only PvP however I would like to think there is alot more to this, I would like to think even the current missions we already have get revamped into the same game play style. If they did this idea it would be interesting as you would be using the fighter ship as opposed to the ships we currently have.

Other cool things would be adding as previous posters have said free room things to do. Perhaps new PvE missions and stuff.

You mean like single-player missions that use the same type of system but with the class ships instead of the pvp ships? If so, then yes i think that also! it would be very very very cool to have the missions revamped like that! But it isn't really clear if they have revamped the pve missions, but if they don't I'm pretty sure that if we shout loud enough then bio ware will give it to us. I'm just saying if they don't have that in the expansion then don't be disappointed! :rak_03:

I'm really excited too. I hope they release more specific details about how the combat will be played. ie. is it combat on rails like the current space missions or will it be truly twitch-based? It's hard to tell in the video. I really hope it's twitch-based! I also hope you don't win by having the best items which is how SWG: Jump to Lightspeed kind of died off. Customising your ship looks sweet though.

More info would be good Bioware, but you've got me excited!

It has been confirmed that the new space combat is completely "off the rails" ! :D

You can even see it in the trailer for the expansion :3 :mon_tongue::csw_vadertie:

I do not believe it'll come to Free Roaming Space like was in SWG, but will be something akin to PvP Arena battles where each teams start on either side of a designated sandbox field in space. Maybe one zone is an asteroid field or a starship graveyard, or maybe even doing slingshot maneuvers around small planetoids and moons to outmaneuver your opponents. I'm sure it's not just going to be on area of space, but several locations across the galaxy that you sign up for via the PvP group finder specifically for Space Combat.

I do not believe it'll come to Free Roaming Space like was in SWG, but will be something akin to PvP Arena battles where each teams start on either side of a designated sandbox field in space. Maybe one zone is an asteroid field or a starship graveyard, or maybe even doing slingshot maneuvers around small planetoids and moons to outmaneuver your opponents. I'm sure it's not just going to be on area of space, but several locations across the galaxy that you sign up for via the PvP group finder specifically for Space Combat.

we will see my friend! Can't wait to begin the early access!!!!! :csw_destroyer::csw_destroyer::csw_deathstar_un::csw_destroyer::csw_destroyer:

New patch, *cough*, 'cuse me "digital expansion" holds exactly zero interest for me.

I only pvp 1-2 daily, to complete the daily is all. I admit I prefer pve gameplay, so to have a whole patch... er... I mean "expansion" that is all about pvp, does nothing for me. Especially since we just had a patch that.... added more pvp. It's especially annoying that it looks like you won't even get to use your own ship. I'm aware that a 50 would have vastly better ship gear than a lvl 20, but isn't that true in regular warzones as well?

Oh well, if this makes the pvp types happy, then good for them.

Edited by DrowNoble

we will see my friend! Can't wait to begin the early access!!!!! :csw_destroyer::csw_destroyer::csw_deathstar_un::csw_destroyer::csw_destroyer:

I hope this will pave the way towards Guild Capital Ships and perhaps being able to queue for PvP Space Combat from there with a ship launching sequence.

Nice, once again not listening to players. Like they did since the Beta.

Players asked them to have something that was a bit like the space part in Starwars Galaxy, with PVE area where you can fly with friends, bash PVE spaceship with friends, fly in the same ship as FRIENDS (manning their turrets), and have some fun "asteroid mining or others MULTIPLAYERs actions".

And there again they disregard their player base, and pick the same awful looking 'on the rail tube shooter' out of the rail, and put it in a 12vs12 pvp area.

Nice Bioware and Electronics Arts, keep the bad work, keep NOT listening to your community, that is getting smaller and smaller. And perhaps you will finally have to learn from your mistakes.

As the SWTOR adventure has been a long, continuing, series of mistakes. Lots of communications errors, lots of disregard for the community. The same is true about the supposed Free to Play option, as it is among the worst transition to a F2P model I have even seen since over 10+ years playing MMO. And now even the space fight is following the same "we do what we want, even if the community don't want it" kind of developpement.

From over 300 servers at the start, the game is down to some ridiculous numbers, that even keep emptying.

Thanks again EA to have ruined another of the licence I was enjoying. No more money from my pocket.

But it's not only about the fact that new PVP-content is coming up. I'm exited about the fact that a completely new kind of battle will be included to the game. Maybe this will open the door for a new kind of PVE-content sooner or later also? Who knows ...

And there again they disregard their player base, and pick the same awful looking 'on the rail tube shooter' out of the rail, and put it in a 12vs12 pvp area.

Nice Bioware and Electronics Arts, keep the bad work, keep NOT listening to your community, that is getting smaller and smaller. And perhaps you will finally have to learn from your mistakes.

I've been here in that forum since release of the game and I can't agree with you in that fact. Many players were asking exactly for that the last two years, "PVP in Space", Starship vs. Starship and so on ...

Maybe it's not your favour, Im not shure if this will be mine, but there's no chance to say that BW/EA have not listen to players that time ...

Edited by Han_Salo

Considering that it's still Free content that F2P users will get access to, I don't see any reason to complain about it. Certainly it's not going to be like the system used in SWG, but I consider that a good thing. If everyone got everything they wanted, then nobody would be happy, because not everyone is going to want what one person wants. Also, BioWare can't completely rewrite their entire system just to make a few people happy.

I for one am always glad to see new content, and this form of Space Combat is appealing. It doesn't need to be overly complicated nor fit to everyones tastes, just be easy and fun for everyone to pick up and play and enjoy. If certain people don't like it, they don't have to have to play it. It's that simple.

Players asked them to have something that was a bit like the space part in Starwars Galaxy, with PVE area where you can fly with friends, bash PVE spaceship with friends, fly in the same ship as FRIENDS (manning their turrets), and have some fun "asteroid mining or others MULTIPLAYERs actions".

As the SWTOR adventure has been a long, continuing, series of mistakes. Lots of communications errors, lots of disregard for the community. The same is true about the supposed Free to Play option, as it is among the worst transition to a F2P model I have even seen since over 10+ years playing MMO. And now even the space fight is following the same "we do what we want, even if the community don't want it" kind of developpement.

From over 300 servers at the start, the game is down to some ridiculous numbers, that even keep emptying.

Thanks again EA to have ruined another of the licence I was enjoying. No more money from my pocket.

Couldn't agree more with your post. Think I'm gonna bow out after this month while the getting is good. This to me is probably the least explorable mmo ive ever played. I often compare it to Kash from Swg. Ive often thought that this would've been a decent single player game.

New patch, *cough*, 'cuse me "digital expansion" holds exactly zero interest for me.

I only pvp 1-2 daily, to complete the daily is all. I admit I prefer pve gameplay, so to have a whole patch... er... I mean "expansion" that is all about pvp, does nothing for me. Especially since we just had a patch that.... added more pvp. It's especially annoying that it looks like you won't even get to use your own ship. I'm aware that a 50 would have vastly better ship gear than a lvl 20, but isn't that true in regular warzones as well?

A level 50 and level 20 would not be different because the Galactic Starfighter expansion is based on a new level progression system. So basically everyone starts fresh like starting a game you are level 1 and gain levels over time. So it will not be unfair, as I know. You could be right, but there is an unlikely chance it will be as I said. You will just have to find out when it comes out.

WOW Debbie Downer! Why does everyone need to have a complete, fleshed out, final product? Can't you see that for once they did it RIGHT. You are so caught up in your own anger you can't even see the possibilities. This is being delivered exactly as it should: a wire frame.

Why is that the way it should be? Imagine they delivered a complete fleshed out space shooter that had everything it ever was going to be. Guess what? They did that! It's our current on-the-rails space shooter. It is so bad that BioWare pretty much has to bribe people to play it. So you want that to happen AGAIN?!

Relax, sit back, and enjoy the possibilities. All that you said CAN HAPPEN! It's just the basics right now. Just a start. I used this example before, think of "Galactic Starfighter" as a car frame. Simple, solid, well built car frame. Right now you are raging because it doesn't have an engine, wheels, seats, etc. Well guess what? We can add that! We, as a community, can offer ideas and contribute to flesh out this beginning. It will happen. In no time we will be driving around in the car WE build together.

Relax, have a cold one, and start coming up with ideas and post them in the suggestions.

I can't wait, then been mentioning the idea of changing the space combat when they first brought old republic online and the feedback of the "on-Rail" approach wasn't working out for anyone that it was great for the first 10 times but after it got to the point no one wanted to touch it again which was stated in a few dev talks about them looking at other ways to do space and someday with time that will come true.

By the looks and sounds of it, it seems like a test to see if this is how we the community want the space to be like. I don't really see them redoing the on rail missions just yet until the PVP space combat is live and the feedback starts coming back. Reason why I think this is

1. If it works out then they will start redoing the on rail to either this system or even to a more open space feeling where everything is more connected and having the chance to get Co-op space missions where a group of your guild or friends can fly into combat together taking down those space stations and cruisers as a true fleet.

2. If it doesn't work out then not much has to be re-worked and changed yet until the PVP part is more to the community liking and works out the way it suppose to. This will prevent problems happening on both PVP and PVE which will tie up resources and of course be a headache to hear both sides crying over problems.

3. Could lead to the open space feel in the end and allow large ship combat that was suggested before as an idea and future approach to allow large capital ships be used for combat.

A level 50 and level 20 would not be different because the Galactic Starfighter expansion is based on a new level progression system. So basically everyone starts fresh like starting a game you are level 1 and gain levels over time. So it will not be unfair, as I know. You could be right, but there is an unlikely chance it will be as I said. You will just have to find out when it comes out.

My point was that the 50 and 20 wouldn't be using their own ships, but instead be given these "new" starfighters. I understand they are probably doing this for balance reasons, everyone starting off on the same foot so to speak. I would of preferred if we could of used our own ships and Bioware just use some kind of buff like they do in warzones to keep the lowbies competative.

You spend all those comms or credits upgrading your ship, then Bioware says "sorry wrong ship you need to use This One now".

now pve missons will still be on rails? i hope not with out free space flight in all instanses its not relay star wars at all

i left after beta becasue of the lame space part of the game i hope they fix it so pve is off rails also