I have 29 days left..

SaerethDL

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can only tell you what happened to me... no CC, Still Play... 30 days was included..

I purchased STO first day. I remember having to provide Billing information just like every other MMO in order to make my account.

The only thing I can think of is if you had a trial key. I'm not sure if they required billing information or not.

I played every MMO since UO (Ultima Online). They ALL require you to put your credit card information BEFORE you can play. My guess is you are new to MMO's, and just too proud (for whatever some strange reason) to admit this is your first MMO.

thanks for the helpful comment. I'm new to mmo's because you know that for a fact. lol swg was my first mmo, i was in close beta 2 of that game, and played launch pre-cu, was one of first hundred jedi on swg.. i was also a general testers for swtor, for 8 months and some of my suggestions got implemented in the game. give me a break, this community is horrible. peace

Yeah that really makes sense, what about people who just buy a game time card? how is identity info verified then? lol

So if you buy a game card you can register an account without a credit card? If that's true then I have to agree that it is rather lol. Not to mention the first time I have seen that happen as game cards usually come out some months after game release. Anyone able to verify that you can make an account with just a game card? Curious to know if that works?

So if you buy a game card you can register an account without a credit card? If that's true then I have to agree that it is rather lol. Not to mention the first time I have seen that happen as game cards usually come out some months after game release. Anyone able to verify that you can make an account with just a game card? Curious to know if that works?

yep you can use a game time card, and use no cc.

It is listed as an option so it should work. However, I have not seen any game cards for sale yet to verify.

This is certainly not true of WoW or Rift. I never played SWG, but the other two do require a payment method up front (or at least did when I last played them).

SWG very definitely required your CC info before letting you play. SOE barely lets you browse their website without entering one.

Yes, you just need to provide some sort of billing information to confirm your account. It's an industry norm. Best Buy had game time cards on release day for SWTOR

thanks for the helpful comment. I'm new to mmo's because you know that for a fact. lol swg was my first mmo, i was in close beta 2 of that game, and played launch pre-cu, was one of first hundred jedi on swg.. i was also a general testers for swtor, for 8 months and some of my suggestions got implemented in the game. give me a break, this community is horrible. peace

The community for TOR has the same composition of people as a lot of other MMOs. We usually tolerate not knowing things but we don't tolerate acting like a wing-clipped victim because you didn't read carefully.

Gave them my credit card info with intent to cancel before I was billed but they went ahead and charged me a dollar right off the bat. :rolleyes:

The charge is probably just a test. Kind of like when you open a tab at a bar. The charge is reversed right away, but your credit card company doesn't reflect reverses immediately. It sometimes takes 3-10 business days for your credit card statement to reflect the reverse. Don't ask me why... Banks are weird.

This thread is seriously useless and completely annoying.

95% of the MMO's since the start have you put your CC info in to subscribe so you can play the game. You can always cancel before the first 30 days is up and you won't get charged.

WHY OH WHY is this so difficult to understand?

True, i've never seen this done, I've only been asked for a subscription after my free month was up.. bad business

All MMO's with monthly subs are doing this...nothing new

You wont be charged anyway.

If you dont like the game, cancel ur sub a couple days before it ends and ur fine.

It's kinda opressive to ask for credit card details while you're still in the free 30 days your 50€ game gave you.

Back in 2006, when i started playing WoW, i'm absolutely sure this wasn't needed. Nor did i do it when LotR came out.

If you think this should be normal practice, you need brain surgery.

It's kinda opressive to ask for credit card details while you're still in the free 30 days your 50€ game gave you.

Back in 2006, when i started playing WoW, i'm absolutely sure this wasn't needed. Nor did i do it when LotR came out.

Yes it did.

Unless you started playing with a trial first. It most certainly did require either a CC or a time card before letting you play those first 30 days.

SWG was the same way, I remember having to borrow my brothers CC so I could start playing and paid him every month for it.

Edited by Ssedi

You are incorrect on both counts good sir. Heck even Earth and Beyond (anyone remember that game?) had you enter your CC details before your 30 days.

It is normal practice. You're mistaken, it was required when WoW launched in 2004 and has remained a requirement for game account activation all the way to this day. I believe the only exception to this is the trial accounts they implemented for a while.

Wow! That sheds a real different light on the whole argument here. In which case I am beginning to understand why the OP is a little annoyed.

Look at it this way. Both cases SWTOR is bought. If you buy a game card you're spending cash which is a form of commitment. You aren't going to have a throw away account you just spent money on a time card on, right? Maybe, who knows as people are illogical, but stands to reason that you won't.

Having the CC information on hand and the billing set up allows smooth transition outta the f2play period. There may even be more reasons, who knows. Not a spokesperson here but I don't see a tragic crime being committed.