So now that arenas are here...

JestersRevenge

...how are you guys performing?

Lugging my cannon around has been a giant neon kick-me sign for the leapers on the other team :D, especially if you only have one of your own. Pillar humping has always been our best DCD, but if you're doing that, you aren't hurting anyone either (as Gunnery). To be fair, I was waiting on solo/group ranked and doing regs to gear up first. Anyone having better luck on the group ranked side? How desirable are we over other burst DPS classes with much better utility?

In the first round of a three round eventual loss yesterday, I was left alone for just the right amount of time to pour on the damage. After that, it was a leg humping session for the leapers and I was just totally shutdown after the initial insta-cast Grav Round (x2), HiB and then Demo Round.

Solo queue has been hit and miss for me, at this point I'm sitting at 15-3, it kinda requires you to get lucky with teammates because sometimes you can just see a loss coming. You'll see a lot of people will start to just tunnel your grav casts and that kinda sucks.

4v4 wise gunnery feels strong at the moment. The main setup we run is gunnery/shadow dps with a vanguard tank and mando/sage heals,depending who is on, and are 18-0 so far with that comp. Smasher teams just aren't that much of a threat with all of the ramps they put in these arena maps thankfully. We have such great on demand burst and electro net is clutch so i think we'll be fine for a while in pvp. Electro net is amazing if you can time it on a healer who is at like 20% hp then drop a demo for a quick kill while they can't run/bubble.

I've been doing rather well solo queing as gunnery commando. Assuming the match is winnable to begin with, I certainly don't feel i'm lacking anything. The utility of kolto bombs, punts, hold the line, electronets, stock strike roots and ocassional offhealing combined with the burst from our main rotation and the relatively high survivability when kiting/shielded this class is in good shape. If you are getting leaped really fast, you may want to try using a rifle. I know it sound kind of stupid, but if you look like a vanguard you're a bit harder to pick out from the crowd. The enemy would have to target you and see what cell you're running, the extra few moments of confusion this buys can be very useful. It may be just me, but I find I usually get a few casts off before getting jumped while running with a rifle but get instantly homed in on with a cannon.

If you are getting leaped really fast, you may want to try using a rifle. I know it sound kind of stupid, but if you look like a vanguard you're a bit harder to pick out from the crowd. The enemy would have to target you and see what cell you're running, the extra few moments of confusion this buys can be very useful. It may be just me, but I find I usually get a few casts off before getting jumped while running with a rifle but get instantly homed in on with a cannon.

Really? A rifle? Definitely food for thought. Anyone running Assault with the recent changes? Would be even more confusing running the same cell as a Vanguard only to toss out a Kolto Bomb or two...

The enemy team can see you are a commando just by hovering over your name on the scoreboard. I dont understand why you would ever purposefully gimp yourself.

True. I've only run Gunnery regularly and rifles never crossed my mind. Are there any abilities outside of Charged Bolts (which I never use as Gunnery) that preclude the use of a rifle? Probably a very dumb question, but it never occurred to me to even check. Hey, maybe every little bit helps...should start dressing like a Guardian...

Played a few ranked arenas with my gunnery commando. Seems commandos are doing ok. I'd say they are probably at the best possible position they can be (for arena). We have a burst that everyone has to respect but we are not overpowered. If your team helps you out the shut down problem is solved too. A little bit of kiting normally discourages melee from pursuing me as they dont want to get separated from the rest of the team.

Haven't tried assault spec yet. Will give it a try. So cant comment on how assault is doing.

Ive noticed i get superfocused no matter what specc im running. That means im spending 99% of my gametime running for my life and thats why i "in a state of rage" specced assault. And ive dont much better in arena since that.

Its all about the kiting imo,staying alive wth 1-3 ppl chasing me all over the map while they forget all about their own healer.

I quite like how combat medic is performing at the moment. Have played about 60-70 games as combat medic and have only lost 7 I think, 2 of which were dcs, going from 1.7k rating pre 2.4 to 2.45k rating atm. Now there are a number of reasons for this:

- The team I've been playing with has mostly been 2 smash sents (sometimes inflitration shadow instead of 1 mara) and 1 tank guardian, with the odd vanguard tank hybrid every now and again, a setup which imo has a fairly low skill floor and thus starts off on a better footing then a lot of other comps that have to be more skilled to get the same results.

- The teams we've been facing have mostly been lackluster as far as competition goes, the 5 "legit" losses we had have been to teams that played better and where we sucked. We didn't play to the strengths of the comp or did silly mistakes.

Imo the weakness of combat medic is sustained healing. When compared to an operative, we cannot sustain the health of our team mates for as long as an op can. At some point, something needs to happen that gives us breathing room; removing the opponent that is pressuring us, or aoe ccing everything to give us vital 8 seconds of healing freely, shield pop with full resolve which means free healing, etc. That moment where breathing room is required comes less frequently for an op.

The strength lies in the potential for big plays such as ccing the tank via guardian push/leap root/mez or stun AND netting healer to prevent running towards tank and kbing him away from the pushed tank. Also, since we're running an aoe stomp comp via the 2 smashers, insane aoe (up to 40k as far as i remember from a game, from 1 plasma grenade and a mortar volley) may add unreal pressure. Single target damage is decent, although no sabotage charge so no real burst, but it can sometimes be enough to finish of a neted healer.

As far as healing numbers go, I've been pulling 2k hps a lot more often then pre 2.4 and recently did 2.3k hps so deffinately not bad. Not operative, but with clever positioning and amazing teamwork I think combat medic is in a very solid place as far as arena goes. At any rate muuuuuuuuuuuch better then sages. Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving arenas, I've only lost one game in solo ranked and it was because we didn't synergize as a team.

Basically it comes down to 2 scenarios. First is most common if there is no healer and they choose me as the "first to die". When that happens it's just a matter of spending all my effort in slowing, disrupting, stunning and LOS-ing them. About 50% of the time I die but by then my team has killed almost 2 of them and they've burned all their cc breaks in the process. Or they make the mistake of thinking I'm not worth the trouble and switching targets. Some quick self heals behind a pillar and it's time to goto DPS mode and start killing them.

Second scenario is they target the healer first, now I get to shine as DPS, usually topping the team numbers. I actually target the melee DPS first, with our Electro-net we can turn a smashing marauder into a fragile dead body before they get any hits in. If just one other DPS helps kill them you can have the opposition down to 3 players in just a few seconds. Just be sure to stun or interrupt the healer if they have one so he can't heal them up at the last second. Another common thing is their melee DPS clustering around one person, if it's not you lay down massive AoE on that cluster then rush in and knock back everybody to free up your partner. Especially if you can knock them into a pit or over a ledge or catwalk. Tatooine and orbital station are great for knocking people back and shooting them as they run back to you. Coreillia isn't but since it's so open they can't LOS you so you have a huge field to fire over.

I'd say arenas are made for Commandos. We can hold our own in other warzones but with no respawn and quick DPS bursts deciding the winner we really come alive.