Being a jerk or smart gameplay?

willfarlow

You have rather twisted and unrealistic view of people in general, it seems.

Not to mention possible anger issues.

Not really. I think I have a pretty accurate view of people who play MMOs. I've been playing them for a very long time. It's the same behavior, over and over again. And it happens because there are no repercussions for bad behavior in the MMO, which proves it's only repercussions that prevent those same people from being arsehats IRL.

And anger issues, LOL! :p

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really. I think I have a pretty accurate view of people who play MMOs. I've been playing them for a very long time. It's the same behavior, over and over again. And it happens because there are no repercussions for bad behavior in the MMO, which proves it's only repercussions that prevent those same people from being arsehats IRL.

/agreed

My reasoning is: On a PvP server, you can go after the jerk and "punish" them for their jerk move. On a RP server, it might just fit the personality of the character... you know just playing out the role.

On a PvP server you can only apply the repercussion if the person is opposite faction, right?

On an RP server... There's this old saying, "You're not RP-ing an arsehat... you ARE an arsehat!"

Bad behavior somewhere is bad behavior anywhere.

On a PvP server you can only apply the repercussion if the person is opposite faction, right?

On an RP server... There's this old saying, "You're not RP-ing an arsehat... you ARE an arsehat!"

Bad behavior somewhere is bad behavior anywhere.

I don't know. I thought you could go after anyone on a PvP server. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Maybe.

True. Not saying it isn't a jerk move in those situations... but I find it more in the spirit of competition/immersion. Whereas on a PvE server, people just want to be left alone to get their stuff done.

My reasoning is: On a PvP server, you can go after the jerk and "punish" them for their jerk move. On a RP server, it might just fit the personality of the character... you know just playing out the role.

Ah! I get it :) The only problem with that is, they're generally same faction and there's only 2 areas we could "punish" them - Outlaws Den and the little section on Ilum...but I get your point.

Most of the objects are interactive even when in combat. If you fail to realize that and don't get your objective while you're by it, then sorry, I'm taking it.

And yes, I am a jerk, and I own it proudly. If I only have one box left, and someone doesn't have the presence of mind to click it before fighting, that is simply not my problem. To think otherwise denotes a certain level of entitlement.

You are entitled to nothing, you keep what you kill. You need an item? Get it first.

EDIT TO ADD: I do not, however, ninja loot chests. If someone is fighting by a loot chest, I'll help them kill whatever is there and leave them to it. I will, though, quite happily ninja quest objectives if someone isn't smart enough to do it first.

Ah! I get it :) The only problem with that is, they're generally same faction and there's only 2 areas we could "punish" them - Outlaws Den and the little section on Ilum...but I get your point.

The only way this makes sense on an RP server is "You, other player, are not part of my IC universe, therefore you do not even exist." As DarthTHC implied, you can't excuse jerky player behavior by saying 'Hey, I'm RPing a jerk."

Most of the objects are interactive even when in combat. If you fail to realize that and don't get your objective while you're by it, then sorry, I'm taking it.

And yes, I am a jerk, and I own it proudly. If I only have one box left, and someone doesn't have the presence of mind to click it before fighting, that is simply not my problem. To think otherwise denotes a certain level of entitlement.

You are entitled to nothing, you keep what you kill. You need an item? Get it first.

It's not about feeling entitled to anything...it's about a courtesy that should be shown...in my opinion.

Anyways, I respect you for owning your actions and not trying to make excuses and blaming it on others.

It's not about feeling entitled to anything...it's more about a courtesy that should be shown...in my opinion.

Anyways, I respect you for owning your actions and not trying to make excuses and blaming it on others.

Yeah, well, I've also been known to invite people to group, and help them get other things, and as I edited in my post, I don't ninja loot chests. My jerkness does have limits, but don't tell anyone, I have a reputation to maintain :).

It is just simply a lack of courtesy, not entitlement. I'll give you an example where it worked in the opposite way. Remember the Chevin event and the little droid race on Nar? Well, you had to right click an object to start it up. So, basically, one spawn and lots of people looking to right click it.

Now, my first thought was it was going to be a nightmare, peeps were going to be spamming right click to get it etc.etc. and to my surprise it wasn't. People on their own accord got in line. No spamming or surrounding the object, no cutting in line either. I must admit it was a pleasant development and I thought that it showed that people, in general, are mindful of others.

But... you can't get around the fact that the reason it worked was there was a consequence for being a jerk. If some d-bag cut, he would be singled out, not sure there would have been any real punishment but at a minimum their anonymity would be gone. As a result peeps didn't do it.

So, some people are jerks when they can get away with it. There is no excuse for it, but it is the way of things.

That's where I really miss my old server on City- because there the players had their own system of repercussions and it really did keep more people playing nicer as a result.

I mean, I knew that every time someone got called out in General for being a ninja or just all-around jerk, the unspoken agreement was everyone dropped that person onto their ignore list thus ensuring that they never had anyone to team with and eventually had to either clean up their act, move to another server or solo until the end of time.

In fact, some players would "exchange" names on their ignore lists while waiting for a team to fill out (I do remember doing that once or twice with some players I got to know pretty well). Frankly, I knew that was kind of a cool way to keep everyone playing nice but I never realized just how awesomely unusual that was until all these years later and, I can't help but feel that it's just too bad that we can't do the same type of thing here because the result seemed to be that everyone was just nicer and more friendly. (I know that I never encountered a single nerd-rage meltdown the whole time I played over there whereas here?.... everyday occurrence....):D

It depends. I think you should show some common courtesy if your fellow man (a citizen of the same faction) is already fighting the mob around, I concede it as their chest. If they are my enemy, ( the opposing faction) I consider it apart of my RP and take the plunder for myself if they were not quick enough to grab themselves.

I am pissed off if vice versa is done to me by the opposing faction but i understand that is apart of RP process as I would do the same as well.

I just want add that I do not normally take it upon myself to ruin the day of the opposing faction and I have helped or offered help to others of the opposing faction. However, when the creditbacks come into play, avarice takes hold of my otherwise good nature. :)

If its a loot chest, I let whoever attacked the mobs get it. But if its a mission objective, I will go ahead and go for it. After all, the fate of the Republic/Empire is on the line, and I dont have time to wait around when lives are at stake :p

Those latter do re-spawn though (usually in at most, 30 seconds, IME), so I agree with ^^that.^^

As for loot-chests: Loot first, then fight. It's especially easy with a stealth-class that has combat-ditching: You can loot, ditch, and leave the ninja-looter to have fun with the mobs!

(Be careful of this, though --it could be considered "training," and that is, per the ToS, explicitly considered griefing on PvE servers.)

Unfortunately, even on PvP servers, you can't do "player-justice" against own-faction idiots in this game, and that type seems to like it when/if they see they've upset you. Just set to /ignore, at least that way you know you won't have to deal with them in Flashpoints through group-builder.

That's where I really miss my old server on City- because there the players had their own system of repercussions and it really did keep more people playing nicer as a result.

I mean, I knew that every time someone got called out in General for being a ninja or just all-around jerk, the unspoken agreement was everyone dropped that person onto their ignore list thus ensuring that they never had anyone to team with and eventually had to either clean up their act, move to another server or solo until the end of time.

And what mechanism was there to ensure "A" wasn't calling out "B" for being a ninja simply as a way to harass "B?" This is why "name and shame" is forbidden on the forums and ideally would be as well in the game's public chat channels.

when some people are incapable of predicting and countering such obvious behaviors deserve to lose the chest, and be mad. Its a matter of abillity

some people that dont have any real abillities need to find an excuse for their weakness. goodness, morality are simply their excuses to avoid facing the truth, that are simply weak nobodies who could never achieve anything great.

It feels better to say "im good and dont do such evil stuff" than saying "i cant do it"

You can be as evil as your skill allows while the opposite doesnt apply

It takes no skill to ninja loot. This is a pile of rubbish and the exact kind of bs justification for unskilled behavior that is being described. Funny how hypocrisy works.

Now, my first thought was it was going to be a nightmare, peeps were going to be spamming right click to get it etc.etc. and to my surprise it wasn't. People on their own accord got in line. No spamming or surrounding the object, no cutting in line either. I must admit it was a pleasant development and I thought that it showed that people, in general, are mindful of others.

True, but this was a case where you had to click the one item, and there was no room for confusion. There were not multiple items to go around and collect, and anybody in that area clearly needed to click that item. So in that case, yes, trying to cut in line would be an unacceptable jerk move.

But the CZ-198 dailies are not the same, because there are multiple items to collect, that respawn quickly, plus an objective to kill a number of mobs. If someone is killing mobs, but not collecting the item, how are we supposed to know they have any interest in it? So no, I do not agree that someone going around collecting items while the item guards are in combat with another player is necessarily a jerk.

I dislike such actions, but also am aware that this can sometimes occur accidently. I almost rushed in yesterday for a glowing pod of goodies before I realized a group of Players were in battle right around the corner. A stray shot warned me of their presence; left the loot for them to grab.

But if such annoyances persist, recommend taking a small break for the area to clear of these Players. And if it continues to occur, fill out a report of Harassment, as Griefing has no valid place on MMO's.

But if such annoyances persist, recommend taking a small break for the area to clear of these Players. And if it continues to occur, fill out a report of Harassment, as Griefing has no valid place on MMO's.

ROFLMAO!! Clicking a quest item in the vicinity of other players is *not* griefing or harassment. Not even close.

Stick to single-player games if you believe this.

when some people are incapable of predicting and countering such obvious behaviors deserve to lose the chest, and be mad. Its a matter of abillity

some people that dont have any real abillities need to find an excuse for their weakness. goodness, morality are simply their excuses to avoid facing the truth, that are simply weak nobodies who could never achieve anything great.

You have a pretty low threshold of "greatness" if it can be achieved playing a computer game. I can see it now, you've just landed on Maravin Gardens your previous turn. Your opponents own all the properties between you and "Go." Then you roll that 11 you need to by pass it all, including those hotels on Boardwalk and Park Place. True greatness.

ROFLMAO!! Clicking a quest item in the vicinity of other players is *not* griefing or harassment. Not even close.

It may not be the nicest, but yeah, it is nothing even close to griefing or harassment.

Holy wow, report for harassment.

If you happen to read again, it is mentioned that repeated actions of this might constitute harassment, which is indeed Griefing, I believe. Comprehension is recommended.....