The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please switch the engine now before its too late..

Hazed

i love the doom-sayers that claim this game died/failed because it went F2P... totally forgetting that about a year before the game launched one of EAs talking heads made the comment that EA was so impressed with the micro-transaction model of facebook games like Farmville & Mafia Wars that they planned on turning all their games to a micro-transaction model within the next 5 years... it was planned long before it happened... add to that the reason a lot f the subs dropped in the first few months was because of all those free 30 day trial passes ending... and you have the formula for a nice subterfuge for the doom-sayers to latch onto for their proof of death...

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40% success rate is better than what the last group did.

seriously you just confirmed what I have been saying, it is not hard.. just hire a buttload of interns and see who comes up with the best project.

Hell I am sure they can open source the code and get a better product out than what they have now

Do you know what an internship is? It is a finite time limit, usually without pay. In order to do what you are suggesting would take years, more time than you could keep an intern around. Plus, the interns would need several months just to get up to speed on what to do. By the time they got up to speed, guess what? Internship is done. You would never get anything done.

If another star wars mmo comes out it will be from a diff company hopefully it is better. I dont see the point in making a mmo and then developing the engine to function primarily on solo content

You do know that EA has exclusive rights to the SW franchise for developing games right? And you do know that BW is part of EA right? And that BW,DICE, and Visceral are going to be the main studios working on SW games right? And since DICE and Visceral are pretty much the shooter teams, guess who's left? If we were to ever get a new SW MMO (which isn't going to happen as despite popular belief swtor is actually doing just fine) its highly likely that BW would develop it.

You do know that EA has exclusive rights to the SW franchise for developing games right? And you do know that BW is part of EA right? And that BW,DICE, and Visceral are going to be the main studios working on SW games right? And since DICE and Visceral are pretty much the shooter teams, guess who's left? If we were to ever get a new SW MMO (which isn't going to happen as despite popular belief swtor is actually doing just fine) its highly likely that BW would develop it.

And you do know ea has more companies tha boowRe im assuming

seriously you just confirmed what I have been saying, it is not hard.. just hire a buttload of interns and see who comes up with the best project.

Hell I am sure they can open source the code and get a better product out than what they have now

Just do us a favor and go take a programming class.

This isn't

cout<<"hello world"

and yes, realize syntax error..dont care

Do you know what an internship is? It is a finite time limit, usually without pay. In order to do what you are suggesting would take years, more time than you could keep an intern around. Plus, the interns would need several months just to get up to speed on what to do. By the time they got up to speed, guess what? Internship is done. You would never get anything done.

It would not take years it would take actually hiring more than one person

And you do know ea has more companies tha boowRe im assuming

They do, but it doesn't change the fact that they straight up said that the only studios that will be making SW games are DICE, Visceral and BW and we all know that DICE is currently working on the new battlefront so that just leaves visceral and bw and I highly doubt they would have visceral do anything rpg related.

Note that I am just trying to save our ability to play a Star Wars MMO for the forseeable future.

Fact #1: This game was a failure

you can argue till your blue in the face, but this is FACT.. that is why everyone got fired. First they got rid of all the original devs, then the Dr.'s left, and finally even good ol JR (the friggin CEO!!) got the axe. You can argue that YOU like the game, but consumers (both SW fans and MMO fans) voted with their wallets and they voted this game was crap.

Fact #2: EA secured 5 more years of licensing

No matter what happens they will most likely be making star wars games till 2018, that is.. unless they screw up like they did with SWToR again. Disney will not tolerate "mediocrity" with their IP's.. it just isn't the Disney way.

Fact #3: EA has sullied its reputation with gamers

I don't need to explain this, if you don't understand this your a tool.

Fact #4: Disney will not tolerate a failure

Name one thing Disney has failed at? If you can point out a failure, then tell me how did they fix it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

This games future has already been decided, most of you are too blind to see it. If you really believe that Disney will tolerate this tumor of a game you are WRONG.

Read: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-05-07/why-disney-licensed-star-wars-to-electronic-arts

Note that I am just trying to save our ability to play a Star Wars MMO for the forseeable future.

Fact #1: This game was a failure

you can argue till your blue in the face, but this is FACT.. that is why everyone got fired. First they got rid of all the original devs, then the Dr.'s left, and finally even good ol JR (the friggin CEO!!) got the axe. You can argue that YOU like the game, but consumers (both SW fans and MMO fans) voted with their wallets and they voted this game was crap.

Fact #2: EA secured 5 more years of licensing

No matter what happens they will most likely be making star wars games till 2018, that is.. unless they screw up like they did with SWToR again. Disney will not tolerate "mediocrity" with their IP's.. it just isn't the Disney way.

Fact #3: EA has sullied its reputation with gamers

I don't need to explain this, if you don't understand this your a tool.

Fact #4: Disney will not tolerate a failure

Name one thing Disney has failed at? If you can point out a failure, then tell me how did they fix it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

This games future has already been decided, most of you are too blind to see it. If you really believe that Disney will tolerate this tumor of a game you are WRONG.

Read: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-05-07/why-disney-licensed-star-wars-to-electronic-arts

John Carter.

Would it be better for swtor to be dead in two years or just reawakening and blossoming in 2 years. Its one or the other

The means at which you assume it could get there are not based in fact or logic.

Maybe if we all just held hands and chanted.

Also, I'm guessing you can not see the future.

Edited by chuixupu

They do, but it doesn't change the fact that they straight up said that the only studios that will be making SW games are DICE, Visceral and BW and we all know that DICE is currently working on the new battlefront so that just leaves visceral and bw and I highly doubt they would have visceral do anything rpg related.

And since you dont know when this game will croak or when they will change their mind or acquire new companies then you dont know if your statement is true then. Either

You. Don't. Get. It.

What those games did was take the CURRENT ENGINE and they updated it with some additional capabilities. The games never went offline and the engine was still the core engine they used. The SWTOR team can do that now and I am willing to bet the space project requires several significant updates to the engine to work properly.

What your original post asked for was an entirely new engine and I'm telling you right now, the assets used in this game cannot be dropped into another engine and just work. Its NOT possible. I have worked with game engines. I know this is a fact. The assets are built and designed for the environment they will be used it. There are some generic assets but they are few and far between.

You are either massively trolling us or you refuse to listen and be reasonable.

It was far too late long before the game was released... I don't know how you can think it's possible...

Models are created using systems that translate vector data into ordered XML files that carry properties given to the object based on the target platform.

Textures are nothing more than images that are baked into the models, or rendered in real time. Things like normal mapping, bump mapping, and diffuse lighting require a bake. The scripting for this game, which runs things like quests and behaviors, was almost certainly done in python, and then converted to the game engine's native scripting language via compiler.

Game assets are created outside of an engine, and then the engine is used to put them all together to make a game.

I can go right now, and create a crate in blender, with a sci fi texture. I can then take that crate and use it in five different game engines. Same crate, same XML data. I can change it a bit for each engine depending on the engine's capability's, but no matter what I still have the original asset files.

If I want to use that crate a year from now in a totally different engine there is nothing stopping me.

Switching engines on this game would require the consolidation of all raw asset files. That's a tall order. However it can be done.

If bioware actually hired a programer, the whole thing could be done with a script. Automatically.

It's as easy and as hard as follows....

Load one planets worth of assets into a new engine manually. Take the same planet from the current engine. Compare the two, and write a script that will calculate the differences (excluding the assets themselves) and convert the files from the old cabinets into the new format.

To say it can't be done, is to expose your own ignorance.

Edited by Slipfeed

You. Don't. Get. It.

What those games did was take the CURRENT ENGINE and they updated it with some additional capabilities. The games never went offline and the engine was still the core engine they used. The SWTOR team can do that now and I am willing to bet the space project requires several significant updates to the engine to work properly.

What your original post asked for was an entirely new engine and I'm telling you right now, the assets used in this game cannot be dropped into another engine and just work. Its NOT possible. I have worked with game engines. I know this is a fact. The assets are built and designed for the environment they will be used it. There are some generic assets but they are few and far between.

You are either massively trolling us or you refuse to listen and be reasonable.

Reading this post was like listening to someone say "I've driven a car, and I'm telling you, you cannot under any circumstances increase the displacement of your engine without purchasing a whole new car. Trust me, I drove all the way from California to Chicago once. And if you dont believe a qualified individual like me on the subject just take it from my friend the UPS driver."

This is software. You are not a programer. If you where, you would understand that there is no such thing as impossible when it comes to software.

Hardware limitations are a wall you can't break down. Sotf ware limitations don't exist. Because you can change whatever you want, whenever you want. If you know how.

Edited by Slipfeed

Reading this post was like listening to someone say "I've driven a car, and I'm telling you, you cannot under any circumstances increase the displacement of your engine without purchasing a whole new car. Trust me, I drove all the way from California to Chicago once. And if you dont believe a qualified individual like me on the subject just take it from my friend the UPS driver."

This is software. You are not a programer. If you where, you would understand that there is no such thing as impossible when it comes to software.

Hardware limitations are a wall you can't break down. Sotf ware limitations don't exist. Because you can change whatever you want, whenever you want. If you know how.

OP claims to turn a 4 banger into a v6 by changing the oil and car wash.

Literally as easy as copy/paste..

not saying it can't be done, just not something that would be possible in his/her delusional concept of time/money/level of effort.

Again COPY and PASTE!

I think *most* people are not arguing that it's impossible. Anything is possible here, they could in fact create "swtor 2" if they really wanted to.

However the chances of EA actually putting a huge investment of time and money to rework the game at that level, after all the time and money *already* invested at launch, are close to nothing. We also don't know if that is the answer to all our woes, or whether they can be answered in other ways, assuming the right people involved.

And who knows, maybe there are things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but I doubt it.

I mean, if Blizzard won't update THEIR engine, and this is a company that will decide to can products they had already dumped years of funds into before they're finished.

Edited by chuixupu