The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Please switch the engine now before its too late..

Hazed

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are very expensive, and not only that, my PvP server rarely ever has the account-wide unlocks. If any of the unlocks ever do, they sell for an astronomical amount just like every other CM thing and I'd rather just not farm Makeb chests anymore.

Like I said before, I'm just not a fan of F2P and it's either sub (which I decided I'm not gonna do) or quit.

And who said I'm looking for dev attention? What? :confused:

while testing 1 week Prefered I made doing daily blackhole and cz 128 (or something)

Roughly more then 2,5 million , infact lol if it wasn't infact for a forum post , I would be happily playing for Free as a pref .

So infact had no complaints playing as pref with my unlocks hoarded over time as sub .

see longterm planning vs short term impulses .

while testing 1 week Prefered I made doing daily blackhole and cz 128 (or something)

Roughly more then 2,5 million , infact lol if it wasn't infact for a forum post , I would be happily playing for Free as a pref .

So infact had no complaints playing as pref with my unlocks hoarded over time as sub .

see longterm planning vs short term impulses .

It's not "long-term planning vs. short-term impulses". It's called being a smart consumer. :rolleyes:

BTW I don't do dailies. PvE is boring to me and I would never waste my time doing something that is never fun (dailies) rather than PvP'ing. Too bad PvP gives you very measly rewards.

It's not "long-term planning vs. short-term impulses". It's called being a smart consumer. :rolleyes:

BTW I don't do dailies. PvE is boring to me and I would never waste my time doing something that is never fun (dailies) rather than PvP'ing. Too bad PvP gives you very measly rewards.

Well that sucks, because PvE is lucrative. Ignore an entire aspect of the game, and reap the rewards.

Well that sucks, because PvE is lucrative. Ignore an entire aspect of the game, and reap the rewards.

PvE is not lucrative of my time. IMO it sucks and that's just my opinion. I'd rather not do it. Haven't done it for a long time now. I think the only PvE I'll ever do is whatever is required to get to a certain point (e.g. in this game getting to PvP once you're lv. 10).

:cool:

Tell Google, Apple, MIT, and DARPA that.

Fail.

LOL...

Google, Apple, MIT, and DARPA would be the first to tell you that there is a right and wrong application of interns. The person you responded to did not say interns did not have value.

I've hired many interns in my career. They have clear value and clear boundaries to that value. Turning them loose on a game engine replacement does not meet the value_box for proper application of interns. In fact.. it implies a rather abusive approach to using interns IMO. They are there to augment workload AND to mentored and to learn from the experience. It's a mutual reward relationship. Suggesting complex problems such as replacing a game engine in a software application of this size and scale are fulfilled quickly and easily with interns is ill informed and actually abusive to the company-intern model as it portrays them as low value labor.

LOL...

Google, Apple, MIT, and DARPA would be the first to tell you that there is a right and wrong application of interns. The person you responded to did not say interns did not have value.

I've hired many interns in my career. They have clear value and clear boundaries to that value. Turning them loose on a game engine replacement does not meet the value_box for proper application of interns. In fact.. it implies a rather abusive approach to using interns IMO. They are there to augment workload AND to mentored and to learn from the experience. It's a mutual reward relationship. Suggesting complex problems such as replacing a game engine in a software application of this size and scale are fulfilled quickly and easily with interns is ill informed and actually abusive to the company-intern model as it portrays them as low value labor.

Wholly Sith! How did you come up with all that? When all that was stated was that a group of dedicated people (interns) can accomplish anything (have great untapped skills and potential) and should be utilized (want to make a name for themselves, get experiance, and become successful).

And I love how you activly troll the forums so you know when someone posts on your remarks. Or is this one of your hired interns?

Do not try to say the samething about me either because I have been reading the entire discussion and got to the final page and saw your posting. I know it will be hard for you to not to.

Protip: encouraging people to search your post to prove that you are unbiased is not a good strategy when 90% of your posts are against posters who say critical things of the game.

Wholly Sith! How did you come up with all that? When all that was stated was that a group of dedicated people (interns) can accomplish anything (have great untapped skills and potential) and should be utilized (want to make a name for themselves, get experiance, and become successful).

And I love how you activly troll the forums so you know when someone posts on your remarks. Or is this one of your hired interns?

Do not try to say the samething about me either because I have been reading the entire discussion and got to the final page and saw your posting. I know it will be hard for you to not to.

Protip: encouraging people to search your post to prove that you are unbiased is not a good strategy when 90% of your posts are against posters who say critical things of the game.

Quite honestly, nothing you said there made any sense and I think you missed the point. Can you clean it up and make a clear point so we understand what you are getting at?

Good thing all you gotta do is slide out the old foundation for a new one. Isn't the world such a grand dream? :rolleyes:

You can just copy paste your house onto a new foundation. Its easy. I had a bunch of interns at my house last week and we did it in 5 minutes.

Wow, this thread actually made it to 34 pages. Is there really that many people without a single clue what a game engine for an MMO really is and the complexity involved in making a fully functional and well-textured game on top of it. There is a reason most AAA MMOs take years to create - and those are the ones that don't build engines from the ground up. Sorry folks, this is the engine we are stuck with until a new game is made (over the period of 5-8 years).

I've been active throughout the thread. You have not... other then to make an uninformed and naïve drive-by directed at me.

Get over yourself, IMO.

People are suggesting interns...nice.

Interns are given crap jobs within the company that hire them. Those crap jobs are often things that need done, but not so important that if they are screwed up they hurt the company.

I deal with interns for a few months every year. We get a new crop in, they get handed their assignments and then have daily meetings with their handler to make sure they are staying focused and are actually accomplishing the task they are given.

Interns are NOT given jobs that affect core processes, though they may work on important projects as ancillary support. Interns exist to learn by doing and it is the very fact that they are learning and not experienced that keeps them from important work where a screw up can hurt a project.

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that revamping a game engine is important and has the potential for disaster if done wrong. Throwing a million interns at such a project only increases the likelihood that it would fail.

First off, it is too late. Like it or not, we're stuck with the engine at this stage, from what I understand. It would be too difficult and costly to change it out, and no amount of interns could possibly change that. The graphics aren't top notch. However, not all games need good graphics. They just need to be good enough to be somewhat lifelike, and SWTOR does that well enough.

First off, it is too late. Like it or not, we're stuck with the engine at this stage, from what I understand. It would be too difficult and costly to change it out, and no amount of interns could possibly change that. The graphics aren't top notch. However, not all games need good graphics. They just need to be good enough to be somewhat lifelike, and SWTOR does that well enough.

U aaid its too late and then its difficult and costly but that doesnt mean impossible. Considering it cost over 200 mil to make im sure a new engine wouldnt be much for the likes of EA(eager arsholes i mean electronic arts):p

Other games habe done it so its not impossible they wont know till they try.

Pragmatic, and I agree with you. :)

U aaid its too late and then its difficult and costly but that doesnt mean impossible. Considering it cost over 200 mil to make im sure a new engine wouldnt be much for the likes of EA(eager arsholes i mean electronic arts):p

It's a business decision.. risk vs reward. No more, no less. There is insufficient commercial reward for the risk presented.

You don't have to like it.. but that's the way it is and that's how business works.

The right commercial approach is to make progressive incremental improvements to the engine over time. Something they have in fact been doing since launch. Players that insist the engine be replaced, have no objective grasp of reality.. they just want what they want and think they have a vote and that their wants = must do.

You might not care about ROI and feasibility but every company on the planet, large and small, does.

Its how money is made so they can keep making products to keep you entertained.

It's a business decision.. risk vs reward. No more, no less. There is insufficient commercial reward for the risk presented.

You don't have to like it.. but that's the way it is and that's how business works.

The right commercial approach is to make progressive incremental improvements to the engine over time. Something they have in fact been doing since launch. Players that insist the engine be replaced, have no objective grasp of reality.. they just want what they want and think they have a vote and that their wants = must do.

You gotta look longterm. With this engine in a few years it will likely be shut down so if tjey upgraded it would be more money now but something they could recoup down the road because it will still be alive when this game would habe ceased to exist with the current one. Spend today for money tommorow or dont spend now and cash in now before it dies. And a new engine would get more ppl so their capital would go up faster

You gotta look longterm. With this engine in a few years it will likely be shut down so if tjey upgraded it would be more money now but something they could recoup down the road because it will still be alive when this game would habe ceased to exist with the current one. Spend today for money tommorow or dont spend now and cash in now before it dies. And a new engine would get more ppl so their capital would go up faster

Conjecture and more conjecture, with a little bit of assumption sprinkled on top.

Let me try it another way. To replace the engine would be to re-dev the game, from the ground up. But company X did it. Ok. Company X is batsith crazy but they had the resources, cool.

Given what we know, layoffs, a new much smaller staff, etc. etc. when and how would BW and the SWTOR team have the time and the resources for such a venture? Let's say... they don't sleep. Let's say they buy 2 dozen mice for Harbinger and don't have to worry about servers. Let's say that their level of commitment is what some of you think it should be. Ok... given that you want: PvP revamped, class balance, ability delays fixed and new content, (just to name a few things) WHEN WOULD THEY HAVE THE TIME TO DEV and TEST AN ENGINE?

What you want... is a new MMO. Well... there is a new tab on your browser there, use it and google new MMOs. There you go, engine problem solved.