Something I did posted my username and password in chat

Alizaro

• Dev Post

Hi Alizaro,

This is something I've not seen reported before, but we agree that it's certainly not good, especially if you don't know how it happened.

While I assume you immediately changed your password, I want to be sure to remind you to do that. Also, if you don't have a Security Key on your account already, we always recommend this for players to add extra account protection.

Thanks for the report. If you are able to provide further details, please do so. To my knowledge, this shouldn't be possible by using the client naturally without a third party macro or keystroke program in use.

Edited by AmberGreen

I understand why you might think that it could be macro related but I don't use macros for passwords. The user name and password were strung together, not sure if that's how my computer communicates that info to your server but the other thing that caught my eye was it was purple colored text.

I did change my password and if I figure out how it's happening I'll let you know. It happened after one of the bounty missions. I have good antivirus but obviously I'm concerned about someone possibly having gotten a keylogger into my system.

• Dev Post

Thanks for the follow up. The purple text is odd too. Did you happen to grab a screenshot?

I understand why you might think that it could be macro related but I don't use macros for passwords.

You said not for passwords. However, do you have macro programs installed and running while using the SWTOR client, and were they running when this happened?

Thanks for the follow up. The purple text is odd too. Did you happen to grab a screenshot?

You said not for passwords. However, do you have macro programs installed and running while using the SWTOR client, and were they running when this happened?

I didn't grab a screen , too freaked out I will next time.

No, the only thing I use is the Logitech g13 for games. No other sort of macro program , I do have an mmo7 mouse too.

Both emulate keyboard strokes but no 3rd party program running in the background that runs macros.

Edited by Alizaro

Issue resolved. The g13 has a quick macro button on it. I hit it without realizing it and what used to be just alt 6 turned into about 150 keystrokes including user name and password. How it got the text purple I don't know but it was.

Gotta figure out how to disable that sucker.

Issue resolved. The g13 has a quick macro button on it. I hit it without realizing it and what used to be just alt 6 turned into about 150 keystrokes including user name and password. How it got the text purple I don't know but it was.

Glad you worked out what happened!

At least in theory (and most likely in practise), the SWTOR client isn't holding onto your password at all, as it's only needed for authentication. So there really did have to be another explanation, which you identified. :)

Glad you worked out what happened!

At least in theory (and most likely in practise), the SWTOR client isn't holding onto your password at all, as it's only needed for authentication. So there really did have to be another explanation, which you identified. :)

Slightly off topic, but the program does store your login details and automatically re-enters these in the cases where 'you have been logged out due to inactivity'. After a few hours on this screen I attempted to log in to my server again and was told that my authentication had expired, so it holds on to the details only for a few hours it seems :)

Ah good to hear... sounds to me like you somehow did some funky reprogramming of the mouse's macro buttons... Never used a mouse like that myself, but sounds like you just need to reprogram it.

• Dev Post
To prevent a thread about an issue that was resolved by the user from being used for discussion or pushed up such that others might think it's a bug, I'm going to close this. However, we welcome you to start a new discussion in Off-Topic or General Discussion as is appropriate. Thank you!