Companion affection gain via NPC dialogue. Make it visible on choice options!

CTFoxhound

Just like you can see if an option is light or dark side when making dialogue choices why not also put the # of affection points you gain visible on the options for whatever companion you are using. Lots of times there are choices that would grant you + affection points but you would never know unless you are lucky. I hate the ones that grant negative affection too. Those are especially annoying since you know had you made a different dialogue choice you would gain. But instead you lose affection.

I know you can reset the conversations but who wants to do that? That is annoying to do. I'm sure bioware can implement the numerical number gain or loss along side the dialogue options pretty easily. All the affection gains are already in place, it's not like they have to go back into the game and redo anything. All it is right now is an invisible number that you only see if you choose the right or wrong option. :(

Just like you can see if an option is light or dark side when making dialogue choices why not also put the # of affection points you gain visible on the options for whatever companion you are using. Lots of times there are choices that would grant you + affection points but you would never know unless you are lucky. I hate the ones that grant negative affection too. Those are especially annoying since you know had you made a different dialogue choice you would gain. But instead you lose affection.

I know you can reset the conversations but who wants to do that? That is annoying to do. I'm sure bioware can implement the numerical number gain or loss along side the dialogue options pretty easily. All the affection gains are already in place, it's not like they have to go back into the game and redo anything. All it is right now is an invisible number that you only see if you choose the right or wrong option. :(

If they did that, they might as well not offer choices since almost everyone would simply choose the one that gives the most affection. They might as well just grant the affection for nothing, then.

I prefer NOT knowing. I can make the choice based on what I think and NOT what my companion would think.

I prefer NOT knowing. I can make the choice based on what I think and NOT what my companion would think.

I would personally agree with this. I hated when I did not pick the best option, but added some realism in learning about my companion. Maybe as a option to be shown, but I think it is just making the game easier.

• 1 month later...
If they did that, they might as well not offer choices since almost everyone would simply choose the one that gives the most affection. They might as well just grant the affection for nothing, then.

Then why not get rid of the options to show alignment gain, and just grant everyone the max alignment for nothing, too? I mean, if folks know the alignment gain they're going to get, they'll just always choose the one that gives them the most, right?

Seriously, though, there are times when you have to choose between your alignment gain, or your companion's affection gain. Plus those shipboard conversations where your choices will gain affection with some companions, and lose it with others.

Besides, some people don't like seeing even the little popup that shows how much affection they got after they make a choice. So no, they won't "always choose the one that gives the most affection", any more than they will always choose the one that gives the most alignmnet gain.

Sure, if you add this option, some players will just pick the option that gives the most affection. But folks who are really determined to get the most affection from every conversation will just ESC out if they make the "wrong" choice, and redo the conversation till they work out what all the "right" choices are. Why not spare them the extra keystrokes and let them see it ahead of time?

It's not significantly different than the "show alignment gain" options. Some folks will use it, some won't, and really no one else is affected by whether they choose to "preview" the effects of their conversation choices.. So why not let them have the option?

Too easy.

You should pick based on knowing your comp. I'd actually prefer not to know LS/DS either (I think there may actually be an option to turn that off).

You should choose based on your character and what they would do. I'm not an RP-er, but I do have little personalities for my toons, so I pick what I think they'd say.

Plus, you can just Esc if you pick the wrong choice for your comp and you care. Or just buy them an extra gift.

• 5 months later...
Too easy.

You should pick based on knowing your comp. I'd actually prefer not to know LS/DS either (I think there may actually be an option to turn that off).

You should choose based on your character and what they would do. I'm not an RP-er, but I do have little personalities for my toons, so I pick what I think they'd say.

Plus, you can just Esc if you pick the wrong choice for your comp and you care. Or just buy them an extra gift.

I would prefer the option to be honest, i just think its rather selfish to try to avoid a feature which ultimately wouldn't affect you in any way, since it would be like the alignment choice currently available.

I sometimes shudder at modern players

You do realize any negative affection can be over come with companion gifts

You dont have to pick the best most positive selection every single time in every single conversation.

If they tell you what the affection return is at selection screen they may as well gut the story and remove any choices.

Its really ok if you play your character

you can make up any shortfall in affection with companion gifts

Its really pretty easy actually

Edited by Kalfear