Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The behaviour of some players in swtor and mmos in general.

HakkaP

A little rant...

I was playing lot of mid level pug flahspoints and heroics yesterday as a healer. I played boarding party and foundry probably 7-8 times. Most of our groups were just fine. Couple of times we had some awesome conversations. But there was one time in boarding party when we had done all the content except bonus boss and final boss, and our tank got first vote kick (I voted no), but then he left by himself.

He was a "noob" I get that. He didnt have right stance, if im correct (I never play tanks, only healers and dps), didnt hold agro all that well, and he had under level gear. Still I was playing well as a healer at the time, and we were going through the flashpoint pretty easilly. I thought to myself at the time, that the bonus boss would probably cause us problems, but the final boss wouldnt.

Right from the beginning our two dprs were giving him ****. It was a personal attack. They called him a child and all that. I have a princible that every time there is an argument in our group, I wont say anything of the matter. I may say "cmon guys lets just play" or something, but usually I just ignore them. Cause actually for me its better to have some challenge. If you just run through flashpoints like it was nothing, nobody talks to each others etc. It feels too much of a grind.

It isnt like the first time in mmo:s I have seen this kind of behaviour. And when I first started playing WoW I got some **** too. And actually stopped playing for a time, cause I just didnt understand MMO group mechanics and was getting depressed of been **** on. And this is my point.

You guys need to realise there are people quiting, because of your behavior. Give advise, If they dont learn from it ignore it, but if your group cant proceed because if him, then vote kick. Absolutely no reason to go personal. Its a game ffs. This game doesnt need any more quiters, for a stupid reason like that. Calling someone child, because he is bad at some game... Jesus...

Edited by HakkaP

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, on another note, sometimes the stupid need to be punished. It's how they learn.

I'm sorry, but On this game...it's not exactly rocket science for what stats you want (not talking about stat totals, just what ones), what stance, and a very basic build. The bloody tree says "Tanking) (or defense, idr) either way! The stance talks about agro, or damage reduction etc.

Is it good to give advice? Yes, and I do it. But a lot of those people don't listen. And I think I'm being very nice giving them a chance.

All this being said...yeah, give a guy a chance. At least one.

Being new to a game is totally understandable and I have no problem trying to help a person with advice but......

By the time you hit midgame levels, you should have a basic understanding of how the class works. There are a lot of bad players in the game that just don't click with basic understand how things work and people get frustrated very quickly with it. A tank class should have a proper build and proper stance by the time they reach midgame. One thing I am against is people wasting others time with flashpoints / heroics so I can understand others getting upset quickly.

When I start a new MMO and I don't have the basics down yet, I try to stay away from grouping so I don't waste people's time with screwing up. I would expect the same courtesy out of others but sadly that is not always the case.

Being new to a game is totally understandable and I have no problem trying to help a person with advice but......

By the time you hit midgame levels, you should have a basic understanding of how the class works. There are a lot of bad players in the game that just don't click with basic understand how things work and people get frustrated very quickly with it. A tank class should have a proper build and proper stance by the time they reach midgame. One thing I am against is people wasting others time with flashpoints / heroics so I can understand others getting upset quickly.

When I start a new MMO and I don't have the basics down yet, I try to stay away from grouping so I don't waste people's time with screwing up. I would expect the same courtesy out of others but sadly that is not always the case.

Yes I get that. Im just a bit sensitive to that kind of behaviour, cause ive been in the same boat years and years ago. I quickly saw our tanks gear. He had right stats, but I think his gear was not updated cartel market gear. Was all purple at least, but stats were too low. And if im not wrong, he changed his stance when told to.

Anyway. If I remember right, he talked about starting to play this game, because his kid played it. I could easily see someone like him playing this game just for the story. Not understanding anything about tanks, dps, and healers. Then thinking to himself, lets try out those flashpoints. And then getting **** on right from the beginning. And I could also see him quiting the game, because of that .

Wrong stance? So he wasn't really a tank, and just wanted to get an instant pop into the flashpoint. Of course he couldn't hold aggro if he wasn't in a tank stance. Yeah mention something, say maybe you should try to be a tank if you join as one. All of that is possible, but for the most part we are tired of seeing it.

People who are not tanks joining as such for the quick pop are just as bad as fake healers who do so. Even worse you say he wasn't over geared, so he couldn't just fake the funk.

Welcome to the Internet society :)

MMOs are just a part of it.

That doesn't make it okay though. Just because the internet offers anonymity shouldn't grant a license to be a jerk. People need to remember there is a living breathing human behind that monitor and be decent.

This is why I won't raid. I'm not overly confident, and I don't particularly wish to be called out or chastised in a game. Real life is miserable enough, without people treating you like sh*t in a game.:(

Wrong stance? So he wasn't really a tank, and just wanted to get an instant pop into the flashpoint. Of course he couldn't hold aggro if he wasn't in a tank stance. Yeah mention something, say maybe you should try to be a tank if you join as one. All of that is possible, but for the most part we are tired of seeing it.

People who are not tanks joining as such for the quick pop are just as bad as fake healers who do so. Even worse you say he wasn't over geared, so he couldn't just fake the funk.

Or you could just be dealing with a PVEer who's only starting to do flashpoints. I only really started doing flashpoints last week for a change of pace. Believe it or not, it takes some getting used too.

I got absolutely humiliated when I first decided to group up. This is my first MMO and didn't even attempt FP's till I was level 50. I was kicked (understandably) probably my first 10 attempts lol! I quickly learned though and studied a lot of swtor guides and watched youtube vids and learned group mechanics and what gear I should have. Yes, new players need to know group mechanics before they enter FP's but this game doesn't really have a comprehensive video guide at all. There should be a group mechanic training course where new players can practice and learn the basics. Whenever I see someone who is under geared I always try to give them advice or do my best to carry them through the FP but to hate on them is not the answer.

There are alot of these classless people playing this game, the best we can do is just be nice to people to hopefully balance things out

One of the nice things about swg was the low population and the 2 or 3 character limit on a server, so if you acted like a ***** or racist (I see a ton of that) people would remember you and there was no group finder, so people seemed to play nice with each other

Here you can hide behind your many alts and use the group finder, so you don't have to have any social skills

I wish it would go back to being a niche like in UO where you could gank anyone anytime anywhere and rob them your be amazed how it corrects attitudes as far as im concerned the mainstreaming of mmos has jurt the genre more than helped its just diluted the gameplay and reasoning behind mmos. Now its just a cash cow instead of a fun creative outlet where people are afraid to take design risks and end up with a homogenous generic crap fest

Or, on another note, sometimes the stupid need to be punished. It's how they learn.

I'm sorry, but On this game...it's not exactly rocket science for what stats you want (not talking about stat totals, just what ones), what stance, and a very basic build. The bloody tree says "Tanking) (or defense, idr) either way! The stance talks about agro, or damage reduction etc.

Is it good to give advice? Yes, and I do it. But a lot of those people don't listen. And I think I'm being very nice giving them a chance.

All this being said...yeah, give a guy a chance. At least one.

Your first line is the problem, your last lines are the solution.

Anyone thinking they have the right to "punish", attack, insult, intimidate anyone has some serious internal control issues that they need to deal with LOL. As you stated, if they are willing to listen, they can make it through any flashpoint. I've dragged entire groups through dungeons and flashpoints in multiple games.

If they are not willing to listen, then they are the one instigating, kick them from the group without all the childish banter that I've seen some partake in. When this occurs, it has nothing to do with the ability of others, but a lack of intellect, social skills or ability to control one's impulses. In fact, quite often, the guy doing the dwee-brage has no idea what he is talking about. LOL

Personally, I'd be more likely to initiate a kick for the "pro" that is berating someone then an individual learning the game.....and have done just that. I have time for people learning the game, no time for nerd-ragering fools.

Edited by Blackardin

I wish it would go back to being a niche like in UO where you could gank anyone anytime anywhere and rob them your be amazed how it corrects attitudes as far as im concerned the mainstreaming of mmos has jurt the genre more than helped its just diluted the gameplay and reasoning behind mmos. Now its just a cash cow instead of a fun creative outlet where people are afraid to take design risks and end up with a homogenous generic crap fest

I sometimes feel that way also, but the past is always rose colored. Idealistically this would work, but in reality, the PK ability becomes the abuse, not used when someone acts the fool. In fact, that very fool is the one now, instead of acting the fool, is ganking people....not to mention the emergence of PK guilds and the metamorphosis from an MMORPG to a flat out, ongoing, organized gank feast, and then a war between anti-PKs and PKs....not to mention the abundance of tears when the PKers became the hunted. LOL

This is an MMORPG, not an MMO. I would contend that the lack of such ability has enhanced the genre. Even back in UO they eventually had to split the servers to allow for PVE play without the PK element because it had gotten so our of hand.

Abusive dweebs will exist. This genre provides for them a chance to be "superior" in, perhaps, a pathetic existence where they have no power (look at how some treat others on this very board just because they disagree on a point).....and therefor the opportunity to abuse it. Nothing that can be done about it beyond the report and ignore function.....though at times I wish there was a "game kick" key.

Edited by Blackardin

I got booted from a 55 HM that was almost cleared just because I used 'Music Therapy Probe' - I use it instead of my class regeneration ability.

Soon as I was kicked I was thrown on ignore. Hadn't said a word to them other than question why I was being threatened with being kicked because I used it.

I think we all can agree flagging grey and turning on someone would hardly correct their attitude. I daresay it would make it far worse. All you are doing is getting a little joy at being able to turn on someone that you are pissed at. UO had it's fill of total buttholes.

I got booted from a 55 HM that was almost cleared just because I used 'Music Therapy Probe' - I use it instead of my class regeneration ability.

Soon as I was kicked I was thrown on ignore. Hadn't said a word to them other than question why I was being threatened with being kicked because I used it.

The only drawback to this is that you were not ignored by them many levels sooner. Being put on ignore by those individuals is more a blessing then a punishment. They may have not even understood the function of such but, as many of that type do, made a faulty judgement based upon a healthy does of "the internet makes me smarter then I am" Insure that they are also on ignore....just to be safe. LOL

I sometimes feel that way also, but the past is always rose colored. Idealistically this would work, but in reality, the PK ability becomes the abuse, not used when someone acts the fool. In fact, that very fool is the one now, instead of acting the fool, is ganking people....not to mention the emergence of PK guilds and the metamorphosis from an MMORPG to a flat out, ongoing, organized gank feast, and then a war between anti-PKs and PKs....not to mention the abundance of tears when the PKers became the hunted. LOL

This is an MMORPG, not an MMO. I would contend that the lack of such ability has enhanced the genre. Even back in UO they eventually had to split the servers to allow for PVE play without the PK element because it had gotten so our of hand.

Abusive dweebs will exist. This genre provides for them a chance to be "superior" in, perhaps, a pathetic existence where they have no power (look at how some treat others on this very board just because they disagree on a point).....and therefor the opportunity to abuse it. Nothing that can be done about it beyond the report and ignore function.....though at times I wish there was a "game kick" key.

I would gladly put up with the ffa pvp that i was accustomed to in ultima i did it once id gladly do it again the have a recourse against ******s. I quuit uo a year ago after having a guildy gank me and steal my two houses but it seems a worthwhile option to be able to get back at ******s

That doesn't make it okay though. Just because the internet offers anonymity shouldn't grant a license to be a jerk.

But many people actually do so.

People need to remember there is a living breathing human behind that monitor and be decent.

It's actually as if these people had some kind of split personality, I recently read in an Gamasutra article.

This is the kind of people who go for laughing into the cellar (that's a German proverb).

Personally, I'd say : Just ignore everyone from that raid, too. They did it with you, so you could do it with them as well, I think.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Hardcore players do not belong in SM or PUG content. HM, Ops and Premades is the hardcore domain.

When you find hardcore players trying to play in casual content, kick them and ignore them and you will find your gameplay experience to be much more enjoyable.

They need to run in their proper content and stay out of casual content. They do not belong there.

MMO's are a good example of why a % of the human population needs to be liquidated.

Whilst ironically being an example why we may as well liquidate the other half as well- since we can't go coexist with other members of our species through any amount of adversity without coming to the conclusion that genocide really is the answer.

This is nothing new in MMO's or any online game and to be honest the abuse in this game is utterly tame (listen to some of the voice comms in CoD if you want to hear some real abuse)

Move on with your life.

:) It isnt like i havent get over with it. Yeah have seen the hacker lagger noob conversations in fps:r, but havent heard voice coms.

Few posters here said it too, its really hard to first try out group content. You will most likely get **** on. No matter what mmo we are talking about. One of my best friend is probably one of the most hard core gamers of hard core gamers and he said the same thing too. How much it sucked for first time to try mmos and been **** on. Its just the will to get better of something that we love to do, why we didnt quit.

Someone here said the game is no rocket science. Well if you havent played mmo:s before, it is not that simple. Yeah sure the game kind of tells you what stats to need etc. but if you really are new to mmos and role playing games in general, you dont know what to think of them. I remember my first rpg game was kotor 1, and my first character really sucked, cause I had no idea what to do with him.

But like I said, you can give advice to your group mates, and you wont even have to be soft about it, but where I draw the line is never make it personal. Hell I am no saint. I have called people noobs before. I am not so smooth all the time, when someone makes a mistake. But I never make it personal.. And its my point. Dont make it personal

Edited by HakkaP

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.