The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Goodnight, sweet prince.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Merc arsenal... I just find this whole thing one big crap bowl... and Bioware is shoving it down PT's throat without a flinch of remorse or due consideration... Totally messed up and disgusting.

oh mah gawd! emotionally traumatic. hope you can ever recuperate.

Ok, i've been away for a week or so now. So what are they nerfing on PT now? Cause i finally got mine to a point she is lvl 55 and geared up but she could be a far cry better but if they nerfing stuff on PT's then it feel like 2 steps forward and 3 steps back......

Pyro is getting killed further for DPS... (or at the very least NOT getting any real buffs to damage). Hybrid is still very much the same for damage, and AP got a considerable DPS buff. So I guess the question is... what were you planning to DO with your PT? If it was for PVP... I don't think there is yet an "optimal" option yet, that would be considered "decent" (i.e. Rated matches worthy). Operations though, if you are really good, you can pull your weight with Hybrid (or when the changes to AP hit... you can pull your weight there too!)

You shouldn't have to wait for 2.4, you can pull your weight with AP in operations now.

Not to the same degree as with Hybrid, sad to say. There are one or two specific fights where AP might be ahead only because of the mechanics of the fight favoring AP over hybrid, but overall hybrid is not just barely better that only those min/maxing will notice...

Can you still clear NiM ops in AP? sure if you are either running 16 man or have some amazing other dps covering your ***, but generally speaking AP just doesn't cut it enough for NiM ops (again, minus one or two fights).

Hey don't forget us merc's had to sit in the same ship for an entire year lol

That being said, these changes to powertech make no sense at all. RIP

Even Mercs didn't get it this bad. Arsenal was still very good for PVE, and in the right hands had some impressive burst in PVP. Pyro Mercs, while not as strong as their PT brothers, could still compete too. I can't think of any good reason to bring a Pyrotech to anything. As a joke maybe? Like... we could dress him up in a clown outfit and throw pies at him? That should be in 2.5.

Edited by Akuryu

LOL 2.4 is so bad, Mfourcustom just resigned as VG rep.

He quit and unsubbed before his class question answers even came back!

That's how bad this is.

IMO PT isn't quite dead yet though, just the pyro tree. I've been getting practice in on the AP tree for this release.

Ok, sanity time…

Patch 2.4 doesn't nerf powertechs. Damage on IM has been reduced slightly together with a reduced cost, and the ratios are such that the reduced need for Rapid Shots as filler should more than compensate. Retractable Blade was nerfed by a fair bit more, but the top end of the AP tree was buffed a LOT (especially the apex talent), which more than compensates (parses prove this). Damage wise, the only spec which has been nerfed is the AP/Pyro hybrid, and then it appears the nerf wasn't significant enough to make it non-viable. Thermal Detonator is getting adjusted (and buffed overall!). It now has a lot more burst and slightly less DoT damage (net gain in damage). It's now more of a midway point between the pre-2.0 TD and today's nerfy incarnation.

The only change which can even be remotely construed as a nerf is the change to Bursting Flame, which reduces the probability of applying the CGC DoT to 60% from FB and adds a 100% application chance to RP. This is a slight damage buff overall (I can show you the math). The only problem with it is it makes the snare from Sweltering Heat quite a bit less reliable. This is a nerf to be sure, but not a dramatic one since the snare will almost always be up anyway, and FB + RP + RS + Rapid Shots has a radically higher expected rate of refresh than simply FB + RS + Rapid Shots in the current incarnation. So, nerf to reliability, but overall buff.

In summary:

• Retractable Blade - Significantly Nerfed
  • Incendiary Missile - Slightly Nerfed, but overall buff due to more available heat
  • Thermal Detonator - Burst buffed; overall damage slightly buffed
  • Flame Thrower (AP tree) - Significantly buffed; more reliable snare
  • Immolate - Significantly buffed
  • Sweltering Heat - Reliability and control indirectly nerfed; actual uptime slightly buffed

I have no idea where the hype over a nerf came from, especially given the significant buffs associated with the changes.

Were the buffs enough? No, certainly not in the Pyro tree. Pyro is way behind and it needs to be fixed, but this patch does not nerf it overall. AP is getting buffed substantially, and is looking to be a viable alternative to the AP/Pyro hybrid that everyone seems to be running these days. The hybrid got nerfed slightly; you won't see me shedding any tears here.

Calm down. Look at the facts. I know your class is in a bad place; mine is too. These changes aren't enough to restore balance to Pyro, but they're a step in the right direction (except for the snare reliability nerf, which is annoying to be sure).

The initial nerfs were actually much worse in the 2.4 patch notes. The snare didnt get a boost to duration, and FB only had a 45% chance to trigger it.

Then the devs came back and made them not quite as bad, thinking we would be happier with a smaller nerf than an even bigger one.

No. We're not.

THEN get this, the devs come back and tell us that an AC with a 2500 DPS parse is in line with other DPS classes, because we have an ability that gives our tiny DOT damage a 30% boost when the target is under 30% health.

The DEV (NOT a community manager) demonstrated his complete inability to use a damn calculator there. I can forgive ignorance, but there's no excuse for stupidity.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

The initial nerfs were actually much worse in the 2.4 patch notes. The snare didnt get a boost to duration, and FB only had a 45% chance to trigger it.

Then the devs came back and made them not quite as bad, thinking we would be happier with a smaller nerf than an even bigger one.

No. We're not.

Read my post again. The only thing that has been legitimately nerfed overall (aside from the slight nerf to hybrid) is control over the Sweltering Heat snare. This is a legitimate complaint, but it doesn't merit all of this QQ. Both AP and Pyro are receiving significant buffs in 2.4, though AP certainly more than Pyro.

Read the rest of mine, I accidentally hit post too early (stupid phone).

Pyro has a 2500 parse. The devs posted that this is in line with maras (3200) and engineer snipers (3400?)

It's not.

You're right, tactics might be in a good place for PVE, maybe not PVP as much.

Edited by Brunner_Venda

Read the rest of mine, I accidentally hit post too early (stupid phone).

Pyro has a 2500 parse. The devs posted that this is in line with maras (3200) and engineer snipers (3400?)

It's not.

You're right, tactics might be in a good place for PVE, maybe not PVP as much.

I totally agree that Pyro is in a bad place. My point is that 2.4 actually improves things, though no where near as far as they need to be improved. Pyro isn't getting nerfed beyond ranged control over the snare. My point is that the changes in 2.4 can in no way be construed as nerfs to the powertech AC, though they absolutely need to be buffs of a greater magnitude.

Read my post again. The only thing that has been legitimately nerfed overall (aside from the slight nerf to hybrid) is control over the Sweltering Heat snare. This is a legitimate complaint, but it doesn't merit all of this QQ. Both AP and Pyro are receiving significant buffs in 2.4, though AP certainly more than Pyro.

significant would be a defenite exaggeration... the complete and total destruction the dev team brought upon pyro/assault cannot be fixed by nerfing them even more... their so called fix is totally bogus and is quite oblivious to the pvp aspect wich the 2.4 patch was supposed to be focused on.

significant would be a defenite exaggeration... the complete and total destruction the dev team brought upon pyro/assault cannot be fixed by nerfing them even more... their so called fix is totally bogus and is quite oblivious to the pvp aspect wich the 2.4 patch was supposed to be focused on.

Name one thing other than ranged control over the Sweltering Heat snare that has been nerfed.