Pvp gunnery set bonuses?

Keypek

Just curious what people are finding as the best option for set bonuses. Have been running with the 2 piece eliminator and two piece pve (15% crit to grav round). Essentially using pvp pieces but replacing two of the armorings with the pve 61s I still had before 2.0 so that bolster doesn't negatively impact them very much. Wasn't sure if anyone has tested that this is better or to just go with all pvp pieces for more experitse and get the bonus to HiB instead? Guess HiB would be better for burst but since GR tends to get spammed a lot I just figured that'd be my best option over time.

2 piece eliminator pvp

2 piece combat medic pvp

Hmm really, not on the game atm but isn't that 5 sec redux to HTL cd? While I certainly would enjoy the better survivability timers not sure that's better than more damage on a dps class. Would be nice though.

IMO, you want 4pc eliminator.

+15% crit to HIB is *huge* now given the ridiculous crit nerf that came in 2.0. 5s shorter cooldown on HtL might come in handy, but having ~40% crit on our 2nd hardest hitting instant ability is huge. Not taking it is a massive mistake in my opinion.

Your job first and foremost as DPS is to do damage. A shorter HtL cooldown does nothing to increase your damage output. On the otherhand, +15% HIB crit is a direct increase to your burst damage potential.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

In my book tools > small dmg increase in pvp so

to be alive so you can do damage.

Except it is not *small*. +15% is nearly a 40% increase in your chance to crit with HIB. If you are landing crits 40% more often with HIB (which should be htiting >6k), you are going to get more reliable burst and be able to bring targets down more efficiently.

Being alive longer will result in larger scoreboard numbers. That doesnt necessarily translate into more being more effective at dealing damage and bringing down your targets.

Considering how starved for crit Gunny commando is (if you are geared properly), you should be taking every extra bit you can.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

Except it is not *small*. +15% is nearly a 40% increase in your chance to crit with HIB. If you are landing crits 40% more often with HIB (which should be htiting >6k), you are going to get more reliable burst and be able to bring targets down more efficiently.

Being alive longer will result in larger scoreboard numbers. That doesnt necessarily translate into more being more effective at dealing damage and bringing down your targets.

Swings and roundabouts.

Being dead definitely doesn't translate into being more effective at dealing damage and bringing down your targets.

Objectives, cover, escaping players and hazards, they all gain by taking the lowered CD because doing damage does come second to not being dead which is why we stop casting and move our *** when we attract attention.

Swings and roundabouts.

Being dead definitely doesn't translate into being more effective at dealing damage and bringing down your targets.

Objectives, cover, escaping players and hazards, they all gain by taking the lowered CD because doing damage does come second to not being dead which is why we stop casting and move our *** when we attract attention.

Agree to disagree then I guess.

Yeah I'd rather get dps boosts then lower utility CDs. While I don't necessarily disagree with the lower htl CD I shouldn't need it if I'm grouped with good peeps. Puggin it i could see it being more worth my while.

Just was curious if people were thinking +15% crit to HiB was worth it over +15% crit to GR. Which apparently most of you do so answers my question. Thanks. :)

Swings and roundabouts.

I might agree if HTL wasn't such a lame escape mechanic. If it was like the Sorc/Sage sprint escape it might be worth it but as it stands the extra 2 seconds of life HTL buys you doesn't compare at all to boosting DPS on every HiB you fire off.

My main use for Hold the Line is just to rush the Huttball forward when somebody passes to you. I'm still so used to the ranged LoS from the pre-2.0 ages that I rarely need it in a normal fight.

Quick follow up question from someone asking the same thing as OP... you need 4 pc Eliminator... what are people doing w/ their 5 pc? Which slot tends to be your 5th pc, and do you just slap another Eliminator, or find something else...

I might agree if HTL wasn't such a lame escape mechanic. If it was like the Sorc/Sage sprint escape it might be worth it but as it stands the extra 2 seconds of life HTL buys you doesn't compare at all to boosting DPS on every HiB you fire off.

My main use for Hold the Line is just to rush the Huttball forward when somebody passes to you. I'm still so used to the ranged LoS from the pre-2.0 ages that I rarely need it in a normal fight.

doesn't the 2-set bonus reduce the cooldown, not extend the duration? by extra 2 seconds, are you just doing the math on how much it actually gives you on average?

and just to nitpick, it's not eeeeeeevery HIB. just 15% of them :p

Quick follow up question from someone asking the same thing as OP... you need 4 pc Eliminator... what are people doing w/ their 5 pc? Which slot tends to be your 5th pc, and do you just slap another Eliminator, or find something else...

once you have your two set bonuses, the last piece does not matter at all

Edited by oaceen

My fifth piece is Combat Medic, it makes it easier for me to switch between healing and dps specs/set bonus. Only need to swap out 3 armorings at any time to switch from dps to heals.

Considering how starved for crit Gunny commando is (if you are geared properly), you should be taking every extra bit you can.

^This. PvP is all about BURST not the dmg in the end. Arenas will make this very clear to players because I have completly ripped teams apart who have tripled my dmg. This is because all my dps came in a short 3 second window with Power/Crit relic in which the healer was strategically CC'd, leading to the other players death.

2 piece eliminator pvp

2 piece combat medic pvp

I used to use this when 2.0 1st came out. I found it was great for a Mobile DPS build and off-healer. However as I settle down more into DPSing, I switched to the elminator set bonus and found it to be more beneficial.

You're a DPS class that should be DPSing. Unless you're going to PUG warzones non-stop, you're tanks and healers should be doing their jobs so you don't have to worry about utility cooldowns like this, and then you should be focusing on performing your role, DPS.

There are definitely arguments for both cases that can be made. You could say the mobility double set bonus is fail because it does nothing for your DPS, and if you are worried about running you're losing more dps potential. And you could argue that any time your HIB doesn't crit (pretty common given the 2.0 crit nerf) while using the Eliminator 4 piece set, that you basically aren't even using a set bonus at all!

Its personal preference.

Edited by SOULCASTER