goodbye 8v8 rwz

AngusFTW

You realise that many teams stopped doing ranked 8v8 simply because they were getting farmed?

There is a good chance that the rated PUG queue (fixed composition) will have enough players so that rating based match scheduling will work. Sure, there are no guarantees but there is a good chance match scheduling will be far better.

The fact that you can solo queue for rated Arenas is HUGE. Given that BW has repeated the mantra of "match scheduling needs big populations" over and over the announcement of plans to remove F2P restrictions on PvP is welcome.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You realise that many teams stopped doing ranked 8v8 simply because they were getting farmed?

This is precisely what will happen with arenas too. The end result being that they will have pissed off a load of people just to maintain the status quo.

I don't follow. You can't presume failure and then call it fact. Arenas will work if the rating succeeds in matching opponents of similar skill. That requires participation. It does not follow that because 8v8 didn't have sufficient participation to do any of the things it needed to that a significantly more accessible game type will fail for the same reason. Inductive fallacy.

i honestly don't see what else they could do without cross server queues; on most servers the hardcore pvp crowd is just not that big, and i think they are very afraid that arena queues could dry out after the first couple of weeks.

I had a similar reaction when organized world PvP in Ilum was removed from the game over a year ago. Overall, it was probably the best decision but it still stings to know that another option for PvPers has failed.

I still think the Ilum removal was a big mistake. In 1.1.5, Ilum was actually starting to get really fun for the peeps that still rolled out there.

The removal of 8v8 Ranked is a big mistake too.

And I am completely disappointed in the continued dumbing down of PvP in SWTOR. No more emphasis on team objective play, removal of Respec, smaller fights that are just TDM. It's like they are turning this game into a bad FPS without it being an FPS.

Put it that way.

Hi BioBob-employes:

If you will remove 8 vs. 8, most pvpler will stop playing SWtor as a subscriber. I assume there are about 30% of all Players. If you will really do that 50% minium of PvPlers will stop playing that is arround 10-15% of all Players.

I Think if 10-15% are round about 50.000 to 100.000 Players.

10.00 €/$ * 50 000 = 500 000 €/$ Per Month

10.00 €/$ * 100 000 = 1 000 000 E/$ Per Month

Do you really want to lose that kind of Money even if its just 500 000 E/$?

If not, I strongly recommand you leave 8 vs 8 Ranked Warzones, like they are in the game.

BioBobs we Players put up with a lot of bulls**t from you guys and still kept playing, but many people will quit SWTOR as subscriber if you really will go through with the play to remove 8vs8 RWZs!!!!!

I still think the Ilum removal was a big mistake. In 1.1.5, Ilum was actually starting to get really fun for the peeps that still rolled out there.

The removal of 8v8 Ranked is a big mistake too.

And I am completely disappointed in the continued dumbing down of PvP in SWTOR. No more emphasis on team objective play, removal of Respec, smaller fights that are just TDM. It's like they are turning this game into a bad FPS without it being an FPS.

Apparently BW thinks anything that requires thinking should be removed. Why bother outsmart the enemy, or deceive them. Lets make it simple CHAAAAAAARGE! Also, balancing 8 classes is way too much. Lets balance 3 and make arenas that revolve around them (since only 3-4 classes can compete in arenas in the current balance system). What a f!@$ing fall.

Arenas will work if the rating succeeds in matching opponents of similar skill.

For this change to 'work', it'll have to attract more people than it drives off. Are people going to subscribe to SWTOR, or stay subscribed when they otherwise would have left, as a result of the removal of 8v8 ranked warzones?

I ultimately don't know what will happen, but I do know that it is a net negative for me. I am more interested in running 8v8 ranked objective based warzones than I am in running 4v4 ranked TDM arenas. I also shudder to think what this'll do to ranked match class balance.

Edited by Jherad

Put it that way.

Hi BioBob-employes:

If you will remove 8 vs. 8, most pvpler will stop playing SWtor as a subscriber. I assume there are about 30% of all Players. If you will really do that 50% minium of PvPlers will stop playing that is arround 10-15% of all Players.

If not, I strongly recommand you leave 8 vs 8 Ranked Warzones, like they are in the game.

BioBobs we Players put up with a lot of bulls**t from you guys and still kept playing, but many people will quit SWTOR as subscriber if you really will go through with the play to remove 8vs8 RWZs!!!!!

Put it that way.

Hi BioBob-employes:

definitely not 30%

Thought this was a troll when I first read it. Anybody else?

Anyway, it could very well be the best move for SWTOR PvP, but regardless of whether or not we agree with the decision it's essentially admitting defeat in a major way.

I had a similar reaction when organized world PvP in Ilum was removed from the game over a year ago. Overall, it was probably the best decision but it still stings to know that another option for PvPers has failed.

Best case scenario this decision results in 2 steps forward, 1 step back. The optimistic approach would be to adopt that line of thinking, but I'm not sure if it's the logical one.

Honestly, upon reading this I decided that Bw has made the correct move. They realized that in WoW, after introducing all PvP had to revolve around balancing that. Balancing around 8v8 as well as 4v4 would be nigh impossible in this game, and rather than try to devote so much more time and resources to only allow for mediocrity in both, they removed the greater of the two evils from their development process to allow for excellence in the one gametype that will truly matter. Arena's will make or break this game for a lot of people, I for one have a lot of optimism about them and want to see them flourish. I hope they will be strong enough, and complex enough to take some of the WoW crowd back and we can see so many of those hugely skilled players from launch come back and play again with us.

IMO, BW made the right decision. They may have admitted defeat over 8v8's, but I believe it was for the correct reason.

GJ BW.

Implying things are balanced as they are. It doesn't really matter balance isn't perfect. People should have the option to play what they want, when they want it.

There is absolutely no harm in leaving Rated Warzones in. Hell, remove the whole rated **** and just name it *********** premade warzones or something. I want to keep the option to play structured warzones next to playing arenas.

It's the only reason why PvP guilds exist. Like do people really think that rating is going to mean **** now? Lol as if they can even afford to make a matchmaking system. There won't be nearly enough people interested. And as i said before, queue times at top ratings will be *********** horrendous.

Event tho I personally primarily pvp in this game I ran relatively few ranked WZs due to being in a guild with RL m8s that just aren't that into PvP. Subsequently a couple of poor showings against well versed premades discouraged them and that was that. Good arena 4mans I reckon we can do however. And I wager there is quite a bit of people in the same boat so ranked may indeed see an influx of players.

Having said that, it's imo a mistake to take the 8v8 out. I'd keep it and have separate rankings. the original sin is in the inability of the team to get cross server in in time but what's done is done. Still, leaving it in for the handfull of teams that do it would imo be better.

They cant make it a centerpiece of the ranked seasons, BW is correct in pushing 4v4 for that, but they could put in the extra effort to make it a separate thing. Heck, they owe the pvp crowd that atleast.

Edited by aeterno

I wish people would get off the whole "cross server" argument. You seriously think thats a good idea?? I mean you think people on your own server to whom you will see again, only play for themselves now. Geez just wait until you get the crowd that knows they can act total fools cause you will never see them again. You think trolling in WarZones is bad now, allow cross server, it will hit the fan.

Cross server is a bad idea... it really is. The window lickers will come out in full force and there will be no accountability for actions. AT ALL. The trolls, the influx of horribads, the idiots, the window lickers... geez, triple them. Im okay, stick with what i have. Thanks! Ive seen what happens when you allow cross server... screw that noise.

I wish people would get off the whole "cross server" argument. You seriously think thats a good idea?? I mean you think people on your own server to whom you will see again, only play for themselves now. Geez just wait until you get the crowd that knows they can act total fools cause you will never see them again. You think trolling in WarZones is bad now, allow cross server, it will hit the fan.

Cross server is a bad idea... it really is. The window lickers will come out in full force and there will be no accountability for actions. AT ALL. The trolls, the influx of horribads, the idiots, the window lickers... geez, triple them. Im okay, stick with what i have. Thanks! Ive seen what happens when you allow cross server... screw that noise.

That argument can't be made to serve against MMOs period. People hidden behind avatars coming together, the idiocy and rudness, no tnx.

The point of cross server isn't for immature pugs, it's to give the dozen or so premade teams a pool of competition that goes beyond 3 teams per server.

That argument can't be made to serve against MMOs period. People hidden behind avatars coming together, the idiocy and rudness, no tnx.

The point of cross server isn't for immature pugs, it's to give the dozen or so premade teams a pool of competition that goes beyond 3 teams per server.

Open the door to one, you open it to all. I don't exclusively run Ranked, and neither does most people. There are times i solo Q, just to get dailies done. I have no interest in opening the door to improve 1 aspect of the PvP i play. Sorry. You are going to deal with Pugs..

Removing 8v8 RWZ is retarded, why reduce options? Even if its not the most used or participation has declined in RWZ, maybe because of your lack of attention BW and lack of starting a real season for it (all you had to do was reset ranks when you introduced new tiers of gear). Look internally BW and blame yourselves for the lack of participation in ranked wzs in preseason 1 that has gone on for over a year.

The PvP community wanted options, no one, not one post, ever asked for the removal of ranked warzones. Why eliminate our options? What are you thinking? Disappointing to say the least.

I am fine with removing 8v8 ranked, but I would have liked to see a solo ranked option for the 8v8 queues. Why? Because it would separate those who have just started queuing from those who are maxed out in gear. So essentially it would extend the solo queue to the other war zones as well.