The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ugh.....FARMING!

Lo_Pan

I hate to say it, but the farming of those damned data pads for the new taunton mount is a terrible waste of both time and money. It's not like it's going to get you anywhere any quicker, nor is it going to prevent you from being knocked off. It's a stupid time waster, and not a very fun one. Five or six nests on the planet? Wow Dev team, that's a FANTASTIC idea........Make everyone farm the crap out of the same locations and then ensure that the drop rate of the data-pad is so atrocious that it takes you over three hours (or multiple characters) to even get a quarter of what you need. The respawn rate of the tauntlet's is terrible, and so is the rate at which the are 'tempted' out of the nest.

In short: Worst implementation of an idea yet. This mount idea is even worse than the GSI quest, the dread seed armor or the macrobinocular quest.

Well done dev team, way to stuff up an idea!

Eh. Out of like six or seven guildies who've done the tauntaun mount quest the 'hard way', about half say that it's easy and that they were done within a few hours, and the other half say that it's a colossal pain in the butt and the drop rates were way too low. Sample size/RNG issues? :confused:

Also, when I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of

Eh. Out of like six or seven guildies who've done the tauntaun mount quest the 'hard way', about half say that it's easy and that they were done within a few hours, and the other half say that it's a colossal pain in the butt and the drop rates were way too low. Sample size/RNG issues? :confused:

This probably. People are often more vocal in their complaints than praise. If someone finds it ok or easy they're unlikely to tell everyone about it. If someone doesn't like it...

Post New Thread

It's the drop rates that I'm shirty about. . . . . . . They are a colossal pain in the butt. I couldn't have said it better. Really. I do agree with you on sample size though. It's not that I didn't look around and see that other people were doing the quest the 'hard' way, and decide that it wasn't easy enough for me. I put in three hours and got about 6 'data-pad's' from over thirty 'lures'. The success rate and drop rate are way too low, and too random. It's not just this quest, but others like it that tie a quest item to a random drop, or a mob drop that are too low across the board. It's across the entire game....That's the issue I'm struggling with. The whole thing makes me feel like a farmer, and I don't play this game to farm. I play it to have fun, and this quest and others like it are the least fun things in the game. I hope that the dev's don't continue with this penny-ante b.s. idea.

It's the drop rates that I'm shirty about. . . . . . . They are a colossal pain in the butt. I couldn't have said it better. Really. I do agree with you on sample size though. It's not that I didn't look around and see that other people were doing the quest the 'hard' way, and decide that it wasn't easy enough for me. I put in three hours and got about 6 'data-pad's' from over thirty 'lures'. The success rate and drop rate are way too low, and too random. It's not just this quest, but others like it that tie a quest item to a random drop, or a mob drop that are too low across the board. It's across the entire game....That's the issue I'm struggling with. The whole thing makes me feel like a farmer, and I don't play this game to farm. I play it to have fun, and this quest and others like it are the least fun things in the game. I hope that the dev's don't continue with this penny-ante b.s. idea.

Funny. As myself and my guild would highly disagree with you as we all got ours in 2 hours. Also the nests had some pvp too so overall we had lots of fun. And we hope we get more of these in the future.

I spent a few hours and 120 baits to get my (15) Data for my Tauntaun and imo it was worth every minute/credit.

It will not bring me anywhere faster, than my other speeders but I love the look of it.

It's a vanity item so if you think it's a waste of time/credits don't get it. (Just like the gree pet quest or HK-51)

Wow. Some people just expect to wake up the day of a patch and have things just handed to them. There are three ways to get the taun taun.

Get 15 Data - Very simple - You will use about 100 lures to get 15-20 datas. Thats 100 clicks of the baby taun. OMG THATS SO MUCH AND IT WILL TAKE SO LONG....

Buy the Datas off the Vendor - 100k a piece - OMG THATS SO MUCH MONEY

Buy the Datas off people who are selling for 50-80k through General Chat. OMG THATS TOO MUCH MONEY AND I HAVE TO DEAL WITH PEOPLE SELLING....

***Insert thumb in mouth***

Simply put you had a choice: go get the new shiny right away and have to deal with all the others doing the same thing, or...

WAIT!

You chose the former, and in my opinion, chose poorly. It's your own fault for lack of patience. ZERO sympathy here.

Its not even that bad. I have two of them already. Took about 200 lures and yeah you get attacked from time to time but its not that bad. 2 tauns in less that 24 hrs tells me they didnt make it hard enough. Some other games make you farm much harder content for longer periods of time.

buck up....

Were it easy to get the mount, I may actually have one. However, I do not, because I really do not wish to waste my time. On the other hand, if it were something that I REALLY wanted, then the harder I had to work for it meant the fewer that other people had. I like rare items, and one way to make them rare is to make folks work for them.

This is not an item that was promised to anyone just because you subscribed, it is a bonus item. I have no animosity toward the devs or the players that worked to get the mounts. Some players apparently were luckier than others, but oh well.

I know this thread was started out of frustration, but keep working for it if this is really what you want, knowing that people like me, who think they aren't a big deal, wont be sporting our own just to have one. Now, if they make some fancy clothes, really hard to get, and very rare.....then you will see me farming away, and hoping it is hard enough that I don't see John "I dont care really but I am wearing it because it's there" Doe wearing the same shirt.

I guess my opinion is, if everyone else has one, then it really isn't special, and I just a soon ride the bike.

I hate to say it, but the farming of those damned data pads for the new taunton mount is a terrible waste of both time and money. It's not like it's going to get you anywhere any quicker, nor is it going to prevent you from being knocked off. It's a stupid time waster, and not a very fun one. Five or six nests on the planet? Wow Dev team, that's a FANTASTIC idea........Make everyone farm the crap out of the same locations and then ensure that the drop rate of the data-pad is so atrocious that it takes you over three hours (or multiple characters) to even get a quarter of what you need. The respawn rate of the tauntlet's is terrible, and so is the rate at which the are 'tempted' out of the nest.

In short: Worst implementation of an idea yet. This mount idea is even worse than the GSI quest, the dread seed armor or the macrobinocular quest.

So, buy them at the vendor, you don't have to farm them.

So, buy them at the vendor, you don't have to farm them.

But.. But... The datapads cost too much to get this mount!!!

...is what I would say if I'm an i**ot child of a gamer who always wants everything to be fed to me. Unfortunately I am not. Compared to other MMORPGs (even single-player RPGs) I played, questing for this mount was easier and more fun (with imp killings yay).

Plus, TAUNTAUN MOUNTS. I have waited for this stuff to happen loooooooong ago. And I actually did waste 5 hours (because I did it on a lvl 37 character and needed to ask for people to help me) but it was worth it. Also thanks for those people.

You do know that you can switch instances to get more fawns in the same time? That's what I have been doing. Got my tauntaun in less then 2 hours. And that for a grand total of 40k worth of lures. With about 60 lures left to send over to another character. Not a bad deal at all. I had about 1/6 success rate with the luring stuff.

Edited by SandsOfArrakis

To be honest, I don't think the "hunt" for the tauntaun mounts was a pain in the ***. I took 2 tundra ones, for both my main and 2nd main characters in less than 1,5 hours each, alone all by myself with no help and I still intend to get one more for another toon.

I honestly don't understand people in this game... They finally bring animal mounts and gives us somehow of a "exploring quest" to make a difference instead of the "just go there and buy the damn mount" and yet, people whine about it.

I know that not everyone have the same available time to play the game, but even though.

*facepalm*

Edited by Haggardbr

I and most people I've talked to actually LIKE the implementation. It's probably the most relaxing thing I can do while waiting for a queue to pop. No competition, no worries about being stuck in the middle of something important. Only thing I can suggest is it might be more interesting if it wasn't a wampa that spawned every time, they could have mixed that up a bit, and made it so other things could drop in the process.

I hate to say it, but the farming of those damned data pads for the new taunton mount is a terrible waste of both time and money.

In fact, it earned me several millions of credits, so it's not a waste of money. And since i earned these millions a lot faster than i would with dailies, traditional credit farming (on Voss for example) or crafting, it's hardly a waste of time.

I'm one of the few who I think likes the implementation of the mounts. At first I thought only having 6 nests on the planet was the worst idea ever due to the number of people. However, I then started to actually do it. After I got a circuit figured out, I got enough data items for 2 mounts in about 3 hours. It was a great way to pass the time waiting for Group Finder to place me into a HM FP group.

Some pluses about it:

1) No way to ninja - Each player gets a chance to lure each of the fawns in the nest, regardless of how many people are there AND once the Wampa spawns, I get the data item. Don't have to worry about someone stealing it from me.

2) Use of Instances - you find a circuit which works for you, you can hit all 6 nests on an instance in about 20-30 mins, then switch instance and do again. This weekend there were always 5 instances up on Hoth so it went quick. It will be a bigger pain once the newness wears off and fewer people are searching.

3) You can buy enough data items from players cheaper than you can get from Vendor. Saw one player selling 20 for 1mil creds. May seem like a lot but when the Mountain Taun Taun costs 2mil from vendor, that's a huge savings.

Its easy right now because people can hop instances and keep farming them. Just wait till Hoth goes back to 1 instance. You'll see people on here SCREAMING about its difficulty.

Its easy right now because people can hop instances and keep farming them. Just wait till Hoth goes back to 1 instance. You'll see people on here SCREAMING about its difficulty.

Hoth is one instance quite often in the middle of the night and early morning (US time), and you know what?

THE WORLD DOESN'T STOP SPINNING OMGWTFBBQ!

If instance-hopping is no longer possible, you simply rotate between using two or more characters. Or just stop going AAAA HURRYHURRYHURRYHURRY and rotate the nests a bit slower. Maybe do something else for a few minutes between. Catch up crafting, go torture a few mobs you hate, find a flagged opposite-faction to play with, something.

I've already farmed 6 tauntauns, and I'm not sick of it yet. And I generally *HATE* grindy things (hence the reason I no longer play STO). But this isn't all that grindy.

Edited by Adwynyth

I did the tauntaun "farming" as you put it and it didn't take me very long at all to get the datapads... there is about a 20% droprate which isn't high but not terribly low either, buy about 100 (150 if you're f2p) lures from the vendor before you start and unless you have terrible luck then you should have the 15 or 20 data tokens by the end that you need for the mount... i got 15 with about 14 spare tokens left... the trick is to go to all the locations in each area and then use travel to a different instance of hoth and go around that area etc... that way you don't have to wait around for the nests to pop... it took me around 2hrs...

for nest locations use your microbinoculars to point you in the correct location or use this guide by dufly:

http://dulfy.net/2013/08/06/swtor-tauntaun-mounts-guide/

hope that helps, stop moaning and get on with it!!! :)

There are also some annoying/amusing moments. One point a wampa corpse was on top of the nest. While it was annoying in that it made it difficult to click on the fauns, my sick sense of humor made me wonder if the player responsible wanted the fauns to have a better diet...

I got about 12 in about 1.5-2 hrs, but had to go before I could complete the set. I'll try this weekend.

Hoth is one instance quite often in the middle of the night and early morning (US time), and you know what?

THE WORLD DOESN'T STOP SPINNING OMGWTFBBQ!

If instance-hopping is no longer possible, you simply rotate between using two or more characters. Or just stop going AAAA HURRYHURRYHURRYHURRY and rotate the nests a bit slower. Maybe do something else for a few minutes between. Catch up crafting, go torture a few mobs you hate, find a flagged opposite-faction to play with, something.

I've already farmed 6 tauntauns, and I'm not sick of it yet. And I generally *HATE* grindy things (hence the reason I no longer play STO). But this isn't all that grindy.

While I understand where you are coming from on the point of rotating characters it is essential you do not look at that as making this "less grindy"

ALL content in the game should be looked at through the scope of the assumption that someone only utilizes one character. In this instance you need to assume one character, one instance as that would be the application of the minimum scenario required for said content. Through that scope you will be able to determine how it affects them and how "grindy" the content is. Switching characters while effective is a work around of the mechanic that currently sits in place.

Grind the Tauntaun data in one instance with only one character and tell me it is not grindy. Content should always be looked at standalone and not factor in things like doing additional content in the meantime like flashpoints, dailys, ops etc.

It took me a while to get enough for my 20 and 15 (sub) Tauntaun mounts, but I also did my GSI quests and my GSI quests again when it reset. :)

Helped break the monotony of just running between the nests waiting for the cd to allow me to try to lure in a Tauntaun to protect.

Only have another 24 characters to do it with now too. Looking forward to that very much. :eek:

Just make the best of it and be thankful that you do not have to wait for respawning fauns to appear when someone else tries their lucky RNG chances for the Protector along with the lure / feeding cd.