Please make PvE actually PvE-only

ptwonline

I'm tired of PvP-flagged people intentionally jumping in front of the quest objectives I am trying to use, accidentally attacking and getting flagged, and then having a bunch of PvP people kill me.

I'm on a PvE-server.

I don't want to PvP.

I have no intention of PvPing.

This kind of stupid thing is what is driving me away.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm tired of PvP-flagged people intentionally jumping in front of the quest objectives I am trying to use, accidentally attacking and getting flagged, and then having a bunch of PvP people kill me.

I'm on a PvE-server.

I don't want to PvP.

I have no intention of PvPing.

This kind of stupid thing is what is driving me away.

Learn to control your targeting + Don't AoE when d-bags are in range = Thrive.

You can also just change instances too.

Edited by Andryah

While there are ways to avoid PvP...i think the OP has a good point. On a PvE server, the only way to flag yourself for pvp is to toggle it manually.

Just like i think that on a pvp server the same shopuld be true. If you roll on a pvp server, you are always flagged unless you turn it off or are i a safe zone.

But i doubt this kind of thing will happen so i would tell the OP..

be careful where you are going. If you see someone flagged, switch instances or wait em out. If you want to get all the rep you can out of rep, be sneaky in pvp areas. avoid pvp players or do gree event in groups.

There are people out there that will attack with no intention of doing ANYTHING but attacking people. The key is to know your enemy. most pvp players ( on a pve server) are predictable. learn the habits, the kill times, the kill zones...and you will have a much easier time:cool:

I love it how you make it seem like it's always a problem of the player and in essence "L2P" argument and not the issue of game's mechanics even though the game's mechanics could be easily improved to prevent this problem and improve gameplay experience for many players.

I love it how you make it seem like it's always a problem of the player and in essence "L2P" argument and not the issue of game's mechanics even though the game's mechanics could be easily improved to prevent this problem and improve gameplay experience for many players.

Words like "always" are extreme and do not apply when making ad hominem attacks directed at me. Surely you can do better. ;)

Follow the bread cumbs with me for a moment.....

.....MMOs present player with challenges. Players overcome said challenges. The mechanics of targeting and fire discipline enable the player to overcome this particular challenge.

In other words.. the existing mechanics work fine unless you are unwilling or incapable of targeting and controlling your attacks.

And I rarely ever use the L2P cliché... so please dump that rhetoric elsewhere.

Edited by Andryah

I don't involve myself in any PVE related content that subjects me to forced PVP.

I'm not against them offering this as an encouragement for folks to involve themselves in PVP, I just choose to not participate.

The problem is some PvP-flagged players are exploiting BioWare's auto-flagging system. This can happen anywhere at anytime while questing and is not related to the Gree event, though the event makes the practice more rampant. It's been a complaint since the game launched but BioWare seems to stay silent on the issue. What should have been in at launch is an opt-out of PvP option in the preferences so that one can click that and not have to worry about PvP at all, they would not be able to buff/heal/rez players who are flagged for PvP either. Probably not an easy system to code but I've seen the opt-out option in at least one other game so I know it can be done (assuming it works in that game, I haven't actually tried it out).

The problem is some PvP-flagged players are exploiting BioWare's auto-flagging system. This can happen anywhere at anytime while questing and is not related to the Gree event, though the event makes the practice more rampant. It's been a complaint since the game launched but BioWare seems to stay silent on the issue. What should have been in at launch is an opt-out of PvP option in the preferences so that one can click that and not have to worry about PvP at all, they would not be able to buff/heal/rez players who are flagged for PvP either. Probably not an easy system to code but I've seen the opt-out option in at least one other game so I know it can be done (assuming it works in that game, I haven't actually tried it out).

This game makes open world PvP encounters uncommon, impossible in some cases. The only way they could reduce it even further would be to remove the PvP option entirely.. which is not needed for the problem presented here.

You cannot simply remove autoflag as it would just let other players blue-wall with impunity and create a whole new chain of issues.

As for an opt-out switch... it's overkill and not required.

Edited by Andryah

There's PvE servers, and there's PvP servers. I don't see why the option to completely turn PvP off shouldn't be present on PvE servers. After all, people who want to PvP should go to PvP servers, not go on PvE servers and exploit holes or functions in the game mechanics to make people who just want to PvE in peace get flagged and killed.

There's PvE servers, and there's PvP servers. I don't see why the option to completely turn PvP off shouldn't be present on PvE servers. After all, people who want to PvP should go to PvP servers, not go on PvE servers and exploit holes or functions in the game mechanics to make people who just want to PvE in peace get flagged and killed.

Probably because most PvE players (note I did not say "all", but most) reserve the right to PvP when they choose to. This is the essence of the modern PvE server. And with that flexibility comes a little bit if responsibility on the part of the player. Don't flag if you don't want to PvP and don't do something foolish that would trigger the auto-flag either. It's a small responsibility and one of self-interest as well.. so one would think players would apply it rather then ask Bioware to remove choice completely.

In any event.. if someone wants to suggest a "off-switch" on their characters for PvP.. fine.. suggestion forum is up above.

Edited by Andryah

.....MMOs present player with challenges. Players overcome said challenges. The mechanics of targeting and fire discipline enable the player to overcome this particular challenge.
I propose new mechanic. Random mouse-targeting earthquakes. It will present challenge to players, this is an MMO, players need challenge. They will just have to show how well they can control their targeting and characters when their targeting cursors suddenly start going crazy on screen.

Probably because most PvE players (note I did not say "all", but most) reserve the right to PvP when they choose to. This is the essence of the modern PvE server. And with that flexibility comes a little bit if responsibility on the part of the player. Don't flag if you don't want to PvP and don't do something foolish that would trigger the auto-flag either. It's a small responsibility and one of self-interest as well.. so one would think players would apply it rather then ask Bioware to remove choice completely.

So, you're saying that a player having the possibility of completely turning of PvP for himself would somehow go against other player's "reserved right" to engage in PvP when they choose to? Or... What was the point?

Did you miss the part of the OP's post about how there's players that actually bait or trick others into flagging just to kill them? If you're playing PvE and just questing, maybe you don't want to constantly sit and concentrate to click the exact right spot to not accidentally get flagged...

If people on PvE servers should have the right to engage in PvP when they choose, these same people should also have the right to close themselves out of PvP completely if they choose.

On a PvE server it should be, you cant attack another player that has their PvP flag turned on until you manually turn yours on.

Instantly removes griefing.

If PvE playerd want to PvP, they turn on the flag or do warzones.

The current system lets the wankers force you into PvP when you might not want to as the OP stated.

If people want to live on the edge, play on a PvP server.

Did you miss the part of the OP's post about how there's players that actually bait or trick others into flagging just to kill them? If you're playing PvE and just questing, maybe you don't want to constantly sit and concentrate to click the exact right spot to not accidentally get flagged...

No. I read it. And it is the basis for my first response. Don't get baited. Is that rocket science or something?

I have had like literally 2 or 3 times since launch that someone has played this little bait gambit on me. I switched instance, and they never followed. Done.. moved along..nothing to see.

So, you're saying that a player having the possibility of completely turning of PvP for himself would somehow go against other player's "reserved right" to engage in PvP when they choose to? Or... What was the point?

No, I am saying (as I often do) that minority interests do not, and should not, dictate game mechanics. Further, that all MMOs have mechanics in them that require at least a minimum level of care and attention on the part of the players. MMO devs do not have to make every MMO into Hello Kitty Online.

I also generally encourage and give tips (like I did in my original response) for how to cope with something that is causing a player an issue.

Edited by Andryah

I can and do report them for griefing also. at least make the cs people appear to do their jobs

Not a bad thing to do IMO. If they are reported enough times by players.. they probably get a spankin' at some point for their efforts. :)

No. I read it. And it is the basis for my first response. Don't get baited. Is that rocket science or something?

I have had like literally 2 or 3 times since launch that someone has played this little bait gambit on me. I switched instance, and they never followed. Done.. moved along..nothing to see.

No, I am saying (as I often do) that minority interests do not, and should not, dictate game mechanics. Further, that all MMOs have mechanics in them that require at least a minimum level of care and attention on the part of the players. MMO devs do not have to make every MMO into Hello Kitty Online.

I also generally encourage and give tips (like I did in my original response) for how to cope with something that is causing a player an issue.

Minority? you somehow know the will of the server? If someone wants to OWpvp they should roll on a pvp server with the real pvpers. Or would the "challenge" be too great?

Minority? you somehow know the will of the server? If someone wants to OWpvp they should roll on a pvp server with the real pvpers. Or would the "challenge" be too great?

I know from years of playing MMOs that most PvEers (not all, but most) actually like to dabble in some good PvP, often spontaneously in the open world.

So yeah, those that want to turn it off completely are a minority interest.

Stop trying to conflate extremes.

Edited by Andryah

Stop using logic, it's not allowed.

Some like to PvP to grief other players because they have very tiny brains and it makes them feel special.

Some grief other players on the boards for the same reason.

Best bet is to /ignore them either way.

I know from years of playing MMOs that most PvEers (not all, but most) actually like to dabble in some good PvP, often spontaneously in the open world.

So yeah, those that want to turn it off completely are a minority interest.

Stop trying to conflate extremes.

Very big difference between wanting to use a WZ and OWpvp. I have been gaming a long time and not that many want owpvp.

That is a reasonable temporary workaround. It doesn't negate the fact that it is a flawed system that needs fixed.

Im going to drop my 2 cents on the subject. This was my first Gree Event and I found the PVP ganking to be quite fun. Im not really a PVPer but I like to dabble in it once in a while. I was ganked. My friends were ganked and in turn we did some ganking of our own. It was pretty fun in all cases. In most cases, people were pretty friendly about it and allowed the objective to be completed before the ganking commenced.

Saying all that, I tend to agree with the people that don't want forced PVP. Yeah, I said it, forced PVP. These quests are a large part of a short time event. They are not PVP quests but rather PVE quests in a contested area. I think people that don't want to PVP, on a PVE server, should be able to do those quests without interference. For the people that like the spontaneity of open world PVP, they can join a PVP server or they can simply turn their flags on to say "Im game, bring it!"

Most of the people that are all for the ganking are probably in guilds and have a lot of friends. If you were solo, Im willing to bet that you wouldn't enjoy it as much because you would be rofl stomped. There are a lot of solo players and I don't think its fair to them. They have no chance out there.

There are also a lot of people that simply cant play their class very well and will get rofl stomped too. You can say L2P all you want but some people just wont get it. They don't understand what all their skills do and there is nothing wrong with that. They are simply here for some fun. A "bad" player isn't a bad person. Just someone who doesn't know for whatever reason. These people simply have no chance.

In closing, I enjoy it but not everyone does. There is no reason they should be forced to partake in this activity. Yeah, I said it again... forced. Not getting these quests done gimps advancement in the Gree Event. A lot of those players wont get the world bosses or the raid done either which means they need a lot of alts and time to keep up. Keep the PVP in the warzones and allow people to switch off flags if they don't want to partake. All the ones that do want to partake can simply turn their flags on. If that's not good enough then join a PVP server.

Edited by Soluss

The OP has a point. There is no reason I should get flagged on a PvE server doing PvE missions. But it happens, if you are battling an NPC and a flagged opposite-faction player attacks the same NPC, you get flagged. I understand why there is a delay to get unflagged, but having to do so is aggravating when I did nothing to cause it to happen except play PvE. Ditto for rezzing or grouping with a flagged player... no good deed goes unpunished.

And you end up in a condition where you are flagged, and when you click to toggle the flag you get "You have manually toggled your PvP flag on"... as if the game doesn't understand you are already flagged. So toggle it again, waste a quick-travel to the cantina, wait 5 minutes (which I can at least sometimes utilize for a crafting mission), then trek back where I was to finish my mission.

At least the last time it happened to me, the would-be ganker tucked his tail between his legs and ran off crying for his dear Momma, leaving his companion to take his beating for him. He picked the wrong dude to mess with.

Edited by GoddessDaVida

Yeah, unless the d-bags are stealthing near an enemy mob... thats happened to me once or twice :(

On the other hand, its not up to Bioware to stop d-bags from being d-bags... IMHO they have done all they can to stop it. Maby they could stop AoE's from damaging enemy players unless you are flagged for PvP, but other than that, its just not possible.