I Want To Like TOR, But It Just Feels Old

Shadysketchy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that i agree with alot of the things that you mentioned.. It's me in a nutschell really.. I too have been playing WoW for a long time, and i'm honestly really sick of it now.

However.. There's just so many things that WoW has, that really should be in ToR aswell. LFG tool, without cross-server tho, so it wouldn't hurt the community too much.

Also, for PvP, Huttball is frustrating as hell.. The flame thingies are just way too annoying + most classes has some kind of pushback spell, which is ridiculous really, especially in hutball.

The graphics are good, but it takes up too much of your computer to look just decent, and with 40-60 fps..

I don't know, maybe i should come back in a few months or so, cause i'm lvl 32 and kinda bored from not having an easy time teaming up with people for flash points.. Hopefully they'll make it easier.

you just really can't win as an mmo developer these days.

Make your game too much like wow, and you get dismissed for devloping "just another wow clone".

Don't make your game enough like wow, and you're "not keeping up with modern industry standards."

the majority of the features you listed wow didn't have at launch....and it built its industry-defining subscriber base without those features. Blizzard added the features the game needed as it, and its playerbase, evolved.

Not every game needs every feature. Let's let this one get at least a month old....you know, give the developer at least enough time to get a basic sense of what this one will need, before we crucify bioware?

^^^^^^^^^ this!!! Right here!

I agree with some of your concerns, mostly, UI, no lfg, and character creation. The rest of it, i either dont care about or is easily fixable.

Dual spec, i hope will still be added.I can live without addons or macros if they fix up the ui and raid frames and allow recount which they said is coming. All the purely aesthetic things, i dont care about.

Why is there a new thread like this everyday? You don't like the game, we get it.

To all those who will say "You can't handle someone with a different opinion than yours", this is not the case. These threads aren't pointing out anything that hasn't already been mentioned in a dozen other threads. At this point these threads are justifiably called troll threads.

TL;DR.

In short, rage whine thread, because the game isn't a direct copy of their favourite MMO. Good for you OP!

Meanwhile, everyone else is enjoying an insanely awesome game, and will be doing so for some time to come.

Edited by DarkZenith

I really want to be able to edit our appearance after creation. And i agree that not being able to use a speeder until 25 is pretty lame. And i don't want to read all 70 pages so i don't know if this has been mentioned yet. There shouldn't be any FALL DAMAGE when on A SPEEDER. A speeder is supposed to always keep you above ground even going off cliffs. That was shown when Anakin went to kill the sand people. He went flying off a ledge with it. Did he break his legs? NO. And the most annoying bug i have found so far is that when malavai is healing me sometimes the green heal effect gets stuck on my character so then i look like i am radioactive. This one is not a real big deal but 40k seems a tad high just to USE a speeder. I rememberd another REALLY annoying bug! One of my alts who is on the same server as my others and my guild is INVISIBLE to my friend. I can't add him to friends because it says "Player does not exist". When he tries to add me it does the same thing. ***? Edited by theoldsniper

Why is there a new thread like this everyday? You don't like the game, we get it.

To all those who will say "You can't handle someone with a different opinion than yours", this is not the case. These threads aren't pointing out anything that hasn't already been mentioned in a dozen other threads. At this point these threads are justifiably called troll threads.

Technically this one isn't new. The poster above you had to dig through page, after page to revive this. I'd venture a guess they had to go at least 20 pages deep to find this just to reply to it.

Technically this one isn't new. The poster above you had to dig through page, after page to revive this. I'd venture a guess they had to go at least 20 pages deep to find this just to reply to it.

Fair enough. Doesn't change the fact that most of these issues have been touched on repeatedly. I'd like to see this stay as the main thread for these complaints. Unfortunately, we will only have to wait a few hours for the next copy of this information.

After reading all 70 pages of this thread I've come to one concussion.

This community is heading down the same path as WoW.

Fanbois will hate and rage on anyone with a legitimate complaint or issue with the game. Except here, they tell them to go back to WoW.

Haters will rage without pointing out what their problem is with the game just to get the above group going.

I'm really hoping that Bioware's mods are just to busy with christmas and haven't been paying as close attention to these boards as they should be. Hopefully when they get back from their turkey and stuffing they really start handing out some well deserved bans to both sides, fanbois and haters.

Edited by Jarlathe

So honestly, I really do want to like this game. And I do think it has some positive features, including Star Wars; I've always like the Star Wars movies. Unfortunately, TOR just feels really old. Even compared to World of Warcraft, which actually is very old (over 7 years now), this feels elderly.

The following are some things that make TOR feel old:

- No LFG Tool (been in WoW for over 2 years... absolutely baffled as to how this hasn't been developed for TOR yet)

- Awful UI; I could make an entire thread about this (and people already have), but for the sake of brevity, I'll just restate that it's awful

- Pet AI is horrible, between the delay on commanding their auto attack, their hilarious pathing errors, and many others; it's safe to say giving every Class+Spec a pet was a bad idea, without first giving them AI that's passable in 2011

- 2007 graphics (The Skybox being a 2D Painting is particularly insulting)

- No Day/Night Cylce

- No accessable body of water deeper than 6 inches

- Server queues (Had queues in WoW for Vanilla, BC, and Wrath but not Cata, Blizzard has evolved, BioWare has not)

- Lackluster Character Creation

- Absurd Leveling curve; the overall process of getting from 1-50 is pretty fast, but the curve for time per level increases at a rate that makes me feel like I'm playing Aion again

- Three Warzones, No Arenas (also consider Huttball cannot be taken seriously as Rated PvP). Again; TOR is competing with 2011 WoW (8 Battlegrounds, 4 of which can be done Rated + Arena Content)

- No Macros

- No mouseover casting

- No addon support

- No Dual Spec

- Taris memory leaks (should have been fixed in Beta, not "overnight" a week after Early Access started for the game's release build)

- Lack of variety in quests; everything is kill X amount of Y, unlike WoW where they've added a lot of variation (for better or for worse) in the quests, which makes leveling feel less grindy

- Voice Actors voicing too many different people; I don't think I've seen this many Characters with the same Voice Actor, since the first Deus Ex game

- Player Character repeating Dialogue from other conversations (My Sith Inquisitor has said "I'll show you what a Sith can do!" like 5 times now, and other less memorably rhyming are equally if not more common)

- "Choices" are still just the Blue good guy option, or the Red bad guy option — this was kinda new in KOTOR, and still cool in both Mass Effects; but unimpressive today

- No Mount until level 25; it only takes a couple hours to get your first Mount in WoW these days. No idea why this was considered a good idea

- Awkward gold; having over 500,000 gold by the time you hit 40 is... silly, and will be a major hassle as the game ages and gold inflation occurs

- A vast array of technical errors that BioWare, and easily amused Players will chalk up to "Every launch has issues, go play WoW kid!"; but nonetheless detract from gameplay, and are hard to excuse in a 2011 title

- No Appearance/Gear Customization such as WoW's Transmogrification, or a standard MMO Appearance Tab (weird in a game where we watch ourselves talk so much)

- No Barbershop for minor character recustomization (again, weird in a game where we watch so much of our character speaking)

- More — I will expand on this as more things pop into my mind, these are the ones currently at the forefront of my thought process

Anyway, do you guys feel the same way? Maybe you don't see the logic in some of my points (but you will once you get to level 40+), but you've probably noticed the game feels old. I'm worried that this feeling will plague the launch, and the early days of the game. This will both turn away new players, and create a jaded community; problems that get worse and worse as time goes on. Hopefully the game can be improved enough though, I do like it.

TL;DR, I think TOR feels old, what do you think?

lol!!!you obviously never played WoW at launch. It was freak in terrible. WoW is on its 3rd expansion working on its 4th. Jesus give the game time to settle first. Bioware will get to all that stuff eventually. The game has only been out for a week. New mmos are always rough at launch most of them having a lot worse problems the no deep water... or no LFG feature. It will be put in in time. What you have to realize is companies like bioware are under the deadlines of companies like EA and lucasarts. Companies who only care about money and getting products on the shelf. A lot of the times the developers of mmos have to look past some of those features si they can get the game out in time so their parent companies don't pukk their budget. I'm sure all EA and Lucas wanted was for them to get the game out before the holidays so they could sell enough copies to make their quotas. Be patient and play the game for what it is. Personally I have played a lot of mmos including wow. But what really drags me into the game is that its Star Wars. Being able to play a with or Jedi with a story makes you feel like your a part of the star wars universe and that is extremely enjoyable in itself. If you don't like it go back to wow or keep your wow subscription so you can play a game that you think as great features. Or quit life and jumo off a bridge its pretty simple. And for christ sake have some confidence in the developers and don't whine about it on the forums I'm sure they have a whole plate of stuff they are planning to add. If you want something done or changed mail the devs gut I can guarentee they are already working on it or have already played before. Just don't come to the forums complaining about it.

Meh does the OP have some decent points yeah but however comma, muhhahah they started developing the game about a year after WOW came out.

If they where to keep redoing baseline code and restructuiring things then this would be draggin on like Duke Nukem Forever..and once it came out well....Duke Nukem was a crap game that was almost Identical to the one they put out 15 years ago and they shouldnt of wasted the time by trying to keep up with every little thing to make it differnt...

The voice acting is cool but does it get tiresome sometimes and thats what that space bar is for. As far as a LFG meh you can keep that crap thats why you have guilds and friends or make friends along the way.

Overall this is a pretty outstanding game that they can grow out of and make it better. Once you have a good base established its easier to branch out rather then keep making changes and be in development forever....

I think most of the OP points can be responded by:

- This game is not WoW. It is a different game. It sounds obvious, but many people do not get that. It's not supposed to have everything WoW has. It's meant to be different. For better or for worse, that's up for each player to decide.

- WoW has been released 7 years ago, ToR was released just a few days ago. It's a completely unfair comparison. It seems pretty obvious that ToR will evolve, especially with companies such as Bioware and EA behind it. Give it some time.

- The OP keeps repeating that something is too bad "for 2011", as if 2011 were some distant high-tech future. It ain't. And game technology hasn't evolved much in the last few years. Just to give an example, the current generation of consoles (X360 and PS3) is around for 6 years, since 2005, being the longest of all. Besides, MMOs rarely have state-of-the-art graphics, as they are meant to be accessible. If you recall correctly, WoW did not have cutting-edge graphics in 2004. It was accessible, pretty much the same way ToR is.

Bottom line is: it's not WoW, and whether you like it or not, try to acknowledge this fact. And give it some time to mature.

- This game is not WoW. It is a different game. It sounds obvious, but many people do not get that. It's not supposed to have everything WoW has. It's meant to be different. For better or for worse, that's up for each player to decide.

- WoW has been released 7 years ago, ToR was released just a few days ago. It's a completely unfair comparison. It seems pretty obvious that ToR will evolve, especially with companies such as Bioware and EA behind it. Give it some time.

- The OP keeps repeating that something is too bad "for 2011", as if 2011 were some distant high-tech future. It ain't. And game technology hasn't evolved much in the last few years. Just to give an example, the current generation of consoles (X360 and PS3) is around for 6 years, since 2005, being the longest of all. Besides, MMOs rarely have state-of-the-art graphics, as they are meant to be accessible. If you recall correctly, WoW did not have cutting-edge graphics in 2004. It was accessible, pretty much the same way ToR is.

Bottom line is: it's not WoW, and whether you like it or not, try to acknowledge this fact. And give it some time to mature.

Personally I do not care if WoW was released 8 years ago. That means Bioware has 8 years of someone else doing the work for them so they didn't have to pay for all the testing to see what works and what doesn't work.

Bioware had 8 years of seeing a game that works good and what made it good and we got this? This isn't even an MMO.

Honestly,

Can someone tell me where everyone is? I go to fleet and I see, if I am lucky, 2 or 3 people. Even on other planets I hardly see anyone. This is not what I call an MMO at all. Plus, top that off with lackluster worlds that seem soulless. What do I mean by soulless worlds. Where is the ambience we normally see in MMO's? NPC's in this game are some of he most cardboardish NPC's I have ever seen. No ambient sounds of NPC's working, talking, no wind, rain, no critters skittering around - birds - anyone see a bird - a bug even? Seriously. Is this suppose to be an immersive world/s? Because I am not seeing it and I certainly am not feeling it.

It's like we're playing a single player game with the option of playing with other players - if we can find someone to play with us!

Stop calling this an MMO...because it isn't! Bioware screwed up. They need to address this. Playing an MMO we should see more players! The worlds should seem like worlds and full of life. Bad on Bioware for not giving us an MMO, but instead, a poorly executed lobby game. Very disappointed. :mad:

Like a poster said early on, he wants the features of a modern MMO. That's understandable, but it seems they took those resources and added awesome things like voice acting instead.

But as a few others said, it was just released. I remember when Rift game out and it had tons of quirks. Everything was pretty smooth, but it was definitely missing some sweet features. Now, the game is rock solid, has most of my missed features and is adding content on a regular basis. It's nice.

Regardless of all of that, I'm here because I like Star Wars, I like BioWare and honestly, voice acting is a huge deal for me. I can't bring myself to read quest after quest. I think Skyrim did that to me...

But lets just back up and think of our opinions a little differently so maybe we can all agree. The game is new and we did pay 60 bucks for it. Most other games don't give you near the amount of gameplay/enjoyment as this will regardless of the problems it has. I say we give it time and see where it goes. Some of us are just so worried that we won't be able to enjoy this for 5 years when we haven't even played it for 5 days.

Just relax, guys. :-)

TOR CAME OUT 5 DAYS AGO 5! IT HASNT BEEN OUT FOR A 7 YEARS LIKE WOW!!!

you expect an MMO.. not an actual game an MMO to be polished in 5 days of release.. and MMO can be changed drastically at any time by it's Developers.. Bioware could tunr TOR into My little pony, the Old Applbepublic" and people would say.. "man this game has no LFG!" calm down!

By the Force i have never seen so much whining in my life!

I wanted so bad for SWTOR to be awesome and for me to be able to tell my friends that didnt come with me "I told you so". After playing for over a week I am taking this game in stride and playing it for what it is. A solo game with the ability to play 3 WZ, and group with people if I want to. Jade Empire made me the biggest Bioware fan and since then they have created some of the best stories in any video game. This isnt as good as many of the others but its still good.

I always thought that if they made KOTOR into an MMO it would be awesome. How wrong I was. Still a Bioware fan and there is no way I would ever miss any Mass Effect game but I guess MMO's are a lot harder to create and bring to life than most people ever thought.

Lets see.

Yes, this game is not WoW.

And it does not matter if WoW has been out for 7 years or 30 years. If BioWare cant learn from other MMO’s mistakes, then they will sooner or later do something really bad with this game. It is so typical you fanboyz to use the 7 years like it is something you can hold on to.

No, it does not. If they cant learn from what is working and what is not working from what the other games have done, then they will not succeed in this.

2011 is a HUGE leap from 2004 when it comes to computer tech and MMO. And comparing PS3 with a modern tech computer is just being ignorant. PS3 is old and the tech belongs on a museum.

As for futher about this game is not WoW.

There is a TON of stuff in this game that WoW had, or have. So if you are saying that this game should NOT have anything from WoW, then quit playing now.

Combat system, just like WoW, many skills is just like WoW, rarity is just like WoW, mount speed system is just like WoW, minimap is just like WoW.

…………………. WAIT…. WOW did not use all of this 1st, they loaned it from other MMO’s and improved it.

You fanboyz are so anti WoW that everything anyone says turns out to be "oh this is not WOW".

But no, you fanboyz are so blind and ignorant that you cant see anything in front of you. All you see if someone want something changed or improved is “This is a WoW lover, we cant have stuff from WoW in this game, lets flame him do hell and back”.

You guys are so narrow minded when it comes to responding to people who wants to improve on what there.

All you say is that 10 years ago the MMO’s did not have this, so SWToR does not have to have this.

What BioWare and EA has done is release the game head of its time. They have left a ton of stuff out just to push the game out before Christmas. A ton of bugs and parts of the game that they are working on now. Not in Beta, but now.

If you do not believe there is bugs in the game, then take a look in the support on the forum and on the different class forums and you will see.

I guess all you will say is, “it is a new game, give it time”.

If the game was so bugged that you could not play, you would say the same.

Edited by Mamono