Naming and "legacy" names... is it as stupid as it seems?

Feskitt

Apparently I'm stupid, or else this naming system is.

First off, I couldn't find the option or "slot" for an actual last name during character creation.

Why? Why the hell would BW limit our choice in this?

So I condensed both names I wanted to use, into one big name.

Then I hit a higher level, and am forced to take a "Legacy name" ...? Which better yet, is forced on ALL of my characters?

Who's brilliant idea was this?

I've surely missed something, cause this seems so utterly stupid if it is as it I've described it.

What did I do wrong?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When they rolled this out, reaction was pretty swiftly extremely negative with just shy of 70% of the community (via very large polls) hating the system.

Most people liked the idea of a Legacy system...but not tying it to one last name you use for all your characters.

However, Bioware, after rolling it out late in the game, really had very little response and soon wiped the forums.

The system still sucks, in my opinion.

You can:

Display the Legacy name as your last name

Display it as "of the Smith" Legacy

Or not display it at all

Deal.

Except for the part where it totally closes out on the ability of the rest of your characters to have unique last names on their own. No thanks!

So basically now, wanting to make different characters with their own unique, Star Wars-esque names, each fitting the appropriate class and character theme...

...I can't do that?

Because the only way to have a last name... is to have the legacy name as a last name... the same legacy name, on all characters?

Someone needs to change seats at BW for his moronic decision. Unbelievable. Amateurish or arrogant, I can't decide.

The critic against this is utterly childish, as there's an option to turn it off. It's used to "mark" your characters as yours. For example, I choose to name a character on a specific server "Starborn", thus all my characters on that server will be a member of the "The Starborn Legacy". It's not flawed at all, and in time it'll enable you to unlock cool stuffs. It's a way to tie your main and alts together.

So... What's the problem... REALLY??

I am with this guy, I like the Legacy system as it is. They gave you plenty of options, deal with it.

How does it give you "plenty of options?"

Can you make a first and last name in char creation?

That was one of my original questions, that no one has yet answered.

Perhaps I missed it during char creation. Not sure how though. I'd think someone w/ decent gaming experience could figure out how to make a first and last name.

Why?

Why do you "love" having less choice?

I like the fact all my alts can be identified as one group. If a person sees the "Bollah Legacy" on any character they will know it is me.

The legacy system was stated as a benefit for people that want to level alts. It isn't a RP feature.

Why?

Why do you "love" having less choice?

It's not "less" choice, you're simply ignorant. All of your characters are a part of the same legacy, why should you prevent that? It's a brilliant idea. I don't see any other reason to give a surname to your character. If you're in to RP-stuff, then you should know that whatever is displayed above your character is totally irrelevant.

How does it give you "plenty of options?"

Can you make a first and last name in char creation?

That was one of my original questions, that no one has yet answered.

Perhaps I missed it during char creation. Not sure how though. I'd think someone w/ decent gaming experience could figure out how to make a first and last name.

You can add it as a last name, you can add it as a title, house name, or whatever you feel like calling it name. And you can simply ignore it and hide the name. That's 3 options of what to do with the Legacy name.

It's called the LEGACY system, not the LAST NAME system.

The critic against this is utterly childish, as there's an option to turn it off. It's used to "mark" your characters as yours.

That's a global name. Plenty of games have those and it's fine.

It's the decision to have that instead of a last name that is the problem.

and in time it'll enable you to unlock cool stuffs. It's a way to tie your main and alts together.

And the Legacy system would still be able to do that even without the stupid linking of global and last names.

So... What's the problem... REALLY??

That the game has no last name functionality and instead put something cumbersome in it's place.

It's not "less" choice, you're simply ignorant. All of your characters are a part of the same legacy, why should you prevent that? It's a brilliant idea. I don't see any other reason to give a surname to your character. If you're in to RP-stuff, then you should know that whatever is displayed above your character is totally irrelevant.

Let me explain the blatantly obvious to you about how that is less choice.

You say, how is it less choice now that all of your characters are part of the same legacy with the same last name, why should you prevent that?

I say, All of my characters, of different races, species, factions, planets etc. who are all contemporaries in the same time line and don't know eachother ARENT part of the same legacy, or same family to have the same last name.

As most people do, we want our characters to be able to have different last names from one another and still be fully formed characters in their own right.

Not having that is LESS than if you had it.

In other words, you can't address my points or answer my questions?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Not being able to make a first/last name in char creation is a step back. Amateur time. By definition it limits choice. It's arrogant.

Sticking your fingers in your ears and singing "la la la" don't change that.

(unless someone can tell me how to make a unique first and last name, in char creation)

Think of it as your Xbox name. You use that name that your friends identify you across multiple characters. You get achievements on that name across server games.

Don't look at it as solely a last name. It is a feature for people that like to reroll.