The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So,whats a viable build for pvp?

kushing

Ive been away from my powertech for some time. I used to run pyro,but i hear its no so hot anymore :p

That being said,whats a good build for pvp? I dont mind tanking,or dps.

Tank is very viable for guarding a healer, dps sorc, or any objective in PVP.

AP is a little wonky, but steady DPS class with solid defenses and great mobility. The lack of burst is my only complaint. You will never get a 6K damage medal with this spec.

Pyro does the highest PT burst still, but you need a pet healer or tank due to the complete lack of defenses. Seriously, pyro PT is a long ride on the med-center merry-go-round as you die again and again. This spec will get a 6.5K shot every other rotation with min/max conqueror gear with power mods and aim augs.

I hope that helps. Basically: Use Tank or AP for pugging. Use Pyro if you have a good pre-made.

i still run pyro powertech, i can burst anyone down (minus a tank) in 5-6 seconds with my shoulder cannons/ability that increases crit chance by 25% (can't remember the name). but pop that, flame burst->shoulder cannon->thermal det->shoulder cannon->incendiary missile->shoulder cannon->railshot->shoulder cannon->rocket punch and most targets are pretty dead unless theyre a sorc and pop their bubble. i think its still fairly viable, on average im doing 900k-1 mil in full voidstars, i can outdps average smashers, however if you intend on playing rateds, you will either need to get tank gear or re roll because every good team would rather have a sniper or marauder for dps than a powertech. :( i run full aim augments on my pyro powertech for the increase in crit, and this is the spec i normally run with http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hzZMsZfhrrzRrcfdz.3 hope that helps

i still run pyro powertech, i can burst anyone down (minus a tank) in 5-6 seconds with my shoulder cannons/ability that increases crit chance by 25% (can't remember the name). but pop that, flame burst->shoulder cannon->thermal det->shoulder cannon->incendiary missile->shoulder cannon->railshot->shoulder cannon->rocket punch and most targets are pretty dead unless theyre a sorc and pop their bubble. i think its still fairly viable, on average im doing 900k-1 mil in full voidstars, i can outdps average smashers, however if you intend on playing rateds, you will either need to get tank gear or re roll because every good team would rather have a sniper or marauder for dps than a powertech. :( i run full aim augments on my pyro powertech for the increase in crit, and this is the spec i normally run with http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hzZMsZfhrrzRrcfdz.3 hope that helps

^^^ Thats the same spec I run with a couple of changes.

1. I took infrared sensors over pyro shield. The shield damage isn't enough to kill a gnat, but infrared sensors at least gives 2% defense boost. We don't have any defensive CD's worth anything, and any tiny bit helps.

2. I took the 6% rail loaders over prototype cylinders. 3% tech crit is nice, but the 6% rail damage helps with those 6.5K crits.

I like your rotation, except that I usually save SC for when someone stuns or mezzes me (which is every ten seconds in this damn game). It keeps the DPS up when the regular rotation is eating a stun.

I'll definitely try interleaving it though with explosive fuel active.

as he said, except i run a different spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsZfhrrzRrcf.3

full shouldercannon unload hits hard...sometimes 4x 2500 (crits) within few seconds while i still hit them with flameburst/railshot/rocketpunch

railshot very often goes over 7k...but averages at 6k

Tanks are very viable, especially since they fixed the way shields work. Its a lot of fun watching the smash monkeys just sit there and pissed trying work you down and they cant get any good dps off you(fav part of running tank spec is pissing off smash monkeys) Being able to Jet charge and Grapple is fun.

Though it doesn't get funnier when you're a ST PT and you have to ball in hutt ball, you jet charge, carbine, throw on Hydraulic override when you're close enough, and just walk the ball right in the goal line. I've had 3 smashers and another Range DPS try to focus me down after that second fire pit still scored, which is a noob tactic, if a vanguard or PT(tank spec or not) is passed the second fire pit, just go mid, because even if you are getting burnt down fast, kolto overload and shield should give enough survivability to make it to the goal line!

Remember though, when we say 'viable' we mean that the specs of this class will perform well and work as expected in regular matches. You can do sufficient damage, guard objectives, and generally have a good time.

There is no PT spec that is OPTIMAL for ranked play, because we don't bring anything that other classes aren't better at. Don't expect an invite to a top tier ranked team.

The class is perfectly viable for casual PvP in any spec. Said it before, and I'll keep saying it: your best bet as a PT is to purchase the field respec so you can switch on the fly, and have 2 sets of gear.

Shieldtechs are decent PvP tanks, and probably 2nd best at solo node guarding next to Assassins. They have some fun annoyance toys (Jet Charge, Grapple, Oil Slick) but are still not as fun as Immortal Juggs in my opinion.

Pyro is mostly crap. Unless you have a pocket healer, all that DoT damage is just fluff that will be healed over and the burst, while decent against PUGs, is nothing to write home to mom about. Pyro is in a really bad place right now. Yeah, it puts up huge numbers, but most of that damage doesn't mean a damn thing where it really counts.

I've been playing AP a lot more lately and can put up numbers comparable to Pyro with it, and actually have that damage mean something. AP still feels discombobulated to me, but the extra defense it offers is huge compared to Pyro. I don't need to be babysat by a healer and rarely die. Damage is mediocre, but consistent. The big damage spikes come from catching a crowd in PFT.

Bottom line, PT is meh in all aspects. It's a middle of the road class. If I want to tank, I'll play my Immortal Jugg and have better tanking options. If I want to DPS, I'll play my Marauder. PT is fun to play, but if you really want to be competitive, there are simply better choices.

Edited by TheronFett

I've been playing AP a lot more lately and can put up numbers comparable to Pyro with it, and actually have that damage mean something. AP still feels discombobulated to me, but the extra defense it offers is huge compared to Pyro. I don't need to be babysat by a healer and rarely die. Damage is mediocre, but consistent. The big damage spikes come from catching a crowd in PFT.

Bottom line, PT is meh in all aspects. It's a middle of the road class. If I want to tank, I'll play my Immortal Jugg and have better tanking options. If I want to DPS, I'll play my Marauder. PT is fun to play, but if you really want to be competitive, there are simply better choices.

I've been switching between AP and Pyro depending on if I have a healer in the group .

I've got to say, AP damage is absolutely terrible in PVP, but it does keep people off of your door/turret/etc.

Anything a tank PT can do a tank Jugg can do a lot better. Anything a dps PT can do almost anyone else can do better. They are still fun in regs if you have a good team and healers backing you.

Here's something a pt tank can do that a jug can't - dps while being outside of range of of smashers trying to catch the tank and healer at the same time. Among other things of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reports about our performance in PvP are a bit exaggerated.

Pyrotech is fun to play, but very low on defenses, that's a problem. But shield or advanced prototype are more than viable as some stated here.

I'm not saying there aren't some elements for Bioware to look into, but the "useless" reports is whining.

Imo in the end it's all about the player, not whatever class is stronger during patch x.x So the "Sith Warrior is better" is rubbish to me. Gameplay is totally different for both classes, play what you like.

Edited by Sepulch