The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

meeting the devs in game!

I ran across a thread a few weeks back which stated that even though they play amongst us; they aren't allowed to let themselves be known. I guess you would have to know one of them personally in order to differentiate their actions from the millions of other characters out there.

I suggested to have them create accounts specifically to be used to interact with the rest of us- to start rumors, give help/advice, hand out freebies maybe.

My thought Is I do not to want meet them in game, maybe in real live but not in game I've said this before my reason :

I wouldn't blame them for anything . I would BUG them to much asking what's coming I don't want that kind of inside ingame info to me that's unfair game play .

Edited by tanktest

Greetings everyone:

To answer your question, the developers and staff do enter game. The real question is, did you notice them there ?

Since we, as a guild event, did attend a Community Cantina Meet & Greet in November 2012, we were introduced to many staff and was able to talk to them and get autographs. We have also talked to them through SUPPORT, but knowing who they are and their droid designation is a question as well. I know they have been spotted by a few members of our guild at different times in various locations. Once such location was outside the Jedi Temple on Tython, right where a good many other guilds roleplay and recruit prospective guildmembers.

As far as other games go... We have seen more activity from the staff in Star Wars Galaxies, when the staff would show up to put on a community event, or tell us what was to be coming out soon. The staff awarded badges to all attendees for their participation or at least just for showing up. Of course, this created a major lag on that planet at the time of the event. I still remember meeting Teesquared on Taris for the 1st time, as well as the other staff that were present. Ah, good times it was in SWG. Sorry for my memory flashback everyone.

I think that's what those "Cantina Tours" are for. And events like the SDCC (Bioware is said to be actually there, at the SDCC).

Yeah, the Cantina Tour next week is during SDCC: I didn't see an actual panel or presence during show hours in the con's schedule, tho'. (Then again, aside from Hasbro and Dark Horse, there's barely a Star Wars presence, probably due to Celebration Europe II happening a few weeks later)

BioWare's had an off-site presence the last few years, tho' from what I heard, they had a very subdued presence in '12, presumably due to the whole ME3 controversy (and the fact they didn't really have any new games to show/test out either). =T

Greetings everyone:

To answer your question, the developers and staff do enter game. The real question is, did you notice them there ?

Since we, as a guild event, did attend a Community Cantina Meet & Greet in November 2012, we were introduced to many staff and was able to talk to them and get autographs. We have also talked to them through SUPPORT, but knowing who they are and their droid designation is a question as well. I know they have been spotted by a few members of our guild at different times in various locations. Once such location was outside the Jedi Temple on Tython, right where a good many other guilds roleplay and recruit prospective guildmembers.

As far as other games go... We have seen more activity from the staff in Star Wars Galaxies, when the staff would show up to put on a community event, or tell us what was to be coming out soon. The staff awarded badges to all attendees for their participation or at least just for showing up. Of course, this created a major lag on that planet at the time of the event. I still remember meeting Teesquared on Taris for the 1st time, as well as the other staff that were present. Ah, good times it was in SWG. Sorry for my memory flashback everyone.

I am going to assume you meant Talus. There was no Taris in SWG.

I ran across a thread a few weeks back which stated that even though they play amongst us; they aren't allowed to let themselves be known. I guess you would have to know one of them personally in order to differentiate their actions from the millions of other characters out there.

Exactly. Anyone who says in game he or she is an employee, isn't.

I know I meet some :( too bad usually they were ganking me .. Or hiting on me ;)

But don't worry they are usually hidden away !

:D:D:D

But anyway who cares , if you meet them or not , they sure as hell ain't going to tell you who they are.

Breach of NDA . And attract the wrong crowd .

CoX was known big time for this. The devs would show up all the time unnanounced (or announced), would run a couple of the group missions with toons and get to know the players and (for the most part) players would not bug them about when is this happening or when is that happening or when you going to fix this? IMO, they had one of the best creator/user interactions of any MMO i've played. I've heard some of them came over to SWTOR, so maybe they will show up more in the future.

Ultima Online probably had more dev interaction than any other MMO, and the frequency of scheduled GM and Counselor RP events were great. I would love for a GM in the role of a known character to come into the populace and RP with the players.

Even SWG had Vader coming to inspect the troops now and then. (and kill annoying rebels)