SW:ToR and Love life

Aymaslappa

Just a quick question...

Has anyone met their current partner/spouse via SW:ToR?

I was living in the UK and my boyfriend was living in Chicago, IL.

We played in the same guild for a few months, then, six months ago we decided that we should meet up to see how things went. I came for a 1-2 week visit. The time together went SO well that we are now getting married next month!

So.... What are your stories?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question...

We played in the same guild for a few months, then, six months ago we decided that we should meet up to see how things went. I came for a 1-2 week visit. The time together went SO well that we are now getting married next month!

This seems really fast. Like, not long enough to let the infatuation phase pass. I'm not saying you guys aren't compatible, but imo don't rush into things. You'll be in for a rude awakening.

If you are meant to be, does the infatuation have to pass? We have both had long term relationships in the past, both been married - both cases, the "infatuation" lasted a few weeks. The past 6 months we have talked in depth about everything and neither of us could be happier.

We are both in our thirties, so know what we want. Both previous marriage took place when we were 19-21 - too young to know ourselves let alone anyone else.

After talking, we have realized that we have some time or another both played the same MMOs - paths crossed more than a few times without even knowing at the time.

If you are meant to be, does the infatuation have to pass? We have both had long term relationships in the past, both been married - both cases, the "infatuation" lasted a few weeks. The past 6 months we have talked in depth about everything and neither of us could be happier.

We are both in our thirties, so know what we want. Both previous marriage took place when we were 19-21 - too young to know ourselves let alone anyone else.

I'm not saying "real love" can't last after infatuation passes -- I've been with my spouse for going on seven years, and I still love him dearly and we are still great friends as well. What I'm saying is, until infatuation passes, you can't actually know whether something is "the real deal" and "meant to be."

Personally, I still think six months is way too soon. Being older helps, but six months seems to be about the time people stop being on their best behavior and you start getting to see each other tired, and cranky, and stressed etc. The fact that you've been doing this long-distance is another alarm bell. If you've been married before, you know living together is a whole other ballgame from dating, and that gaming time is much different from seeing someone day in, day out. You must, of course, do as you think is best.

Anyway, not trying to be a debbie downer. I just don't understand the rush.

EDIT: Slightly more on topic, I did not meet my spouse through SWTOR (or any MMO), but when we first started dating in college and were very broke, gaming together was a fun way to hang out when we couldn't afford gas to go see each other. :) So it definitely played a part in our relationship.

Edited by Sarielle

I'm forever alone.

Amen!

Finding your soulmate via a MMO? That seems just impossable to me :(

Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an MMO's dating field is approximately 3,720 to 1.

Edited by Skodan

I married a man I met in WoW in similar circumstances. Lasted about 3 years and ended for reasons totally unrelated to how it began. In fact when I think back on it, it seems unreal how we met since our relationship didn't feel forced or weird or what-have-you compared to ones with men I've met more conventionally.

If you want to be together and one of you is willing to move, I wouldn't get married though unless its for a residence reason, and even then I think there's like, a 90-day fiance visa (in the US at least, but don't quote me).

Just a quick question...

Not me, but I did meet an ex in Phantasy Star Online.

Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an MMO's dating field is approximately 3,720 to 1.

Pretty much. Most of the women who play online games are already tired of nerds constantly hitting on them. If you're a woman it's unlikely any of the nerds constantly hitting on you are over 15 and below 40.

Edited by Lachryphage

Just a quick question...

Congrats. To bring up a semi-related topic: why bother getting married at all (aside from the tax/legal/financial benefits)? Seems there's a modern trend to forego many such 'benefits' and just remain life partners.

One of my best friend met her husband through a game as well. They took time to get to know each other. The thing she said since it was a long distance relationship they didn't have the added pressures of the bedroom. They actually took the time to get to know each other before she moved.

They have been married for 5 years.

Just my advice don't rush it but it does happen and I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I could never hook up with a girl from an MMO. Every single girl that I have seen a picture of that plays WoW/Swtor/etc.. is fat and/or ugly.

Lol. Show me your body, Adonis! :D

OT: I can't really imagine getting close enough to anyone I met online to consider dating them, but that's just me. I have a friend who met her husband in WOW and they've been married for three years now (and still seem happy). OP, I wish you and your fiancé all the best!