Dual Spec. Still want it.

Warb_Null

from the official swtor youtube

http://i.cubeupload.com/bugB2O.png

they said we would get "at least dual spec" in I believe 1.2 :rolleyes:

We got field respec which effectively gives us infinite specs, which is far more than "dual spec". They did not give us a "one button does it all" easy mode. You actually have to <GASP> reallocate those talent points, change action bars and change gear. These things can be done in less than a minute, though.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got field respec which effectively gives us infinite specs, which is far more than "dual spec". They did not give us a "one button does it all" easy mode. You actually have to <GASP> reallocate those talent points, change action bars and change gear. These things can be done in less than a minute, though.

field respec is not dualspec.

field respec is not dualspec.

What exactly is dual spec?

Is it the ability to change specs without having to go to a trainer to reset talent points? If so, then field respec does that, while not restricting us to only two specs.

is it a "one button does it all easy mode"? If that is your definition of dual spec then it doesn't meet your definition of dual spec, but I'd rather be able to change my spec on the fly to ANY spec and not be restricted to only two specs on the fly.

What people really want is savable Quickbar profiles and savable talent tree profiles.

Because, if you know that there are two sets of specs, and quickbar setups that are your preferred option, spending a minute reshuffling that stuff every time you respec, really does not enhance the game experience, it takes up time you could be spending on desirable play.

The current system is better than dual spec.

We already have savable quick bar/UI profiles, people are lazy and don't want to think every time they re spec and open their inventory to put on gear.

Edited by rklontz

What people really want is savable Quickbar profiles and savable talent tree profiles.

Because, if you know that there are two sets of specs, and quickbar setups that are your preferred option, spending a minute reshuffling that stuff every time you respec, really does not enhance the game experience, it takes up time you could be spending on desirable play.

It takes less than a minute to respec and change quickbars. Is less than a minute spent on "desirable play" going to seriously impact anyone's game?

I think the motivation behind these continuing cries for "dual spec" is summed up in the following post (emphasis mine):

The current system is better than dual spec.

We already have savable quick bar/UI profiles, people are lazy and don't want to think every time they re spec and open their inventory to put on gear.

It takes less than a minute to respec and change quickbars. Is less than a minute spent on "desirable play" going to seriously impact anyone's game?

I think the motivation behind these continuing cries for "dual spec" is summed up in the following post (emphasis mine):

How do we have savable quick bar profiles? If you can show me how I can respec and have my assassin tank skills switch out for my madness skills I'd really like to see it.

I'm for dual-specs. Well...more precisely I'm for the ability to save spec templates and spec specific bar configurations. Its not necessary, sure, but neither is guild housing or guild ships or field respec, and the list goes on. Its a QoL feature that is almost universally accepted as a standard game feature and its unfortunate SWTOR lacks it.

Edit: perhaps a better example is going from a healing spec to a non-healing spec. Sure you can have the bars re-arranged, but your skills still need to be manually moved everywhere. The keybindings from heal to DPS are going to be vastly different (assuming the player in question is not terrible and actually uses hotkeys instead of clicking).

Edited by Phyltr

So I specifically asked about this at the Boulder event tonight and I was told that its something they want to implement and have even gotten so far as to design (on paper) how the system would work. The delay, we were told, was because the same people that would be working on that system had to be pulled off to work on the housing stuff.

We were told at least not in the next three months but hopefully after that. The guy made it sound like the developers genuinely want to implement the system, but he gave no real timeline other than "not in the next three months". Here's hoping for not too long after.

How do we have savable quick bar profiles? If you can show me how I can respec and have my assassin tank skills switch out for my madness skills I'd really like to see it.

I'm for dual-specs. Well...more precisely I'm for the ability to save spec templates and spec specific bar configurations. Its not necessary, sure, but neither is guild housing or guild ships or field respec, and the list goes on. Its a QoL feature that is almost universally accepted as a standard game feature and its unfortunate SWTOR lacks it.

Edit: perhaps a better example is going from a healing spec to a non-healing spec. Sure you can have the bars re-arranged, but your skills still need to be manually moved everywhere. The keybindings from heal to DPS are going to be vastly different (assuming the player in question is not terrible and actually uses hotkeys instead of clicking).

Learn how to use your UI it is pretty simple use the little + symbol on your quick bar and set up a new profile for your new spec. then all you will have to do is switch gear and and talent points. being limited to 2 specs when you have 3 available is kind of silly just because you don't want to take the time to actually click talents or put on gear.

So I specifically asked about this at the Boulder event tonight and I was told that its something they want to implement and have even gotten so far as to design (on paper) how the system would work. The delay, we were told, was because the same people that would be working on that system had to be pulled off to work on the housing stuff.

We were told at least not in the next three months but hopefully after that. The guy made it sound like the developers genuinely want to implement the system, but he gave no real timeline other than "not in the next three months". Here's hoping for not too long after.

BioWare, even though I think getting housing is neat, I would prefer to get dual- or multi-spec, so don't push it to far back and make it happen sooner than later!

Learn how to use your UI it is pretty simple use the little + symbol on your quick bar and set up a new profile for your new spec. then all you will have to do is switch gear and and talent points. being limited to 2 specs when you have 3 available is kind of silly just because you don't want to take the time to actually click talents or put on gear.

You're being disingenuous. "...all you will have to do is switch gear and talent points..." and every ability needs moved, unless you're a terrible clicker. Yes, I know how to make multiple UI configurations but I cannot save it such that abilities switch when I change the UI layout. My keybindings remain the same and when switching from heals to DPS or vice versa your suggestion falls flat and is not a true solution to the problem.

Edited by Phyltr

Field respecc is the best kind of multispecc imo

That is your opinion, and that's great. Many of us want to be able to have saved specs and action bar layouts however. The inclusion of these shouldn't impact your ability to respec manually and spend time setting up your bars manually each time.

You're being disingenuous. "...all you will have to do is switch gear and talent points..." and every ability needs moved, unless you're a terrible clicker. Yes, I know how to make multiple UI configurations but I cannot save it such that abilities switch when I change the UI layout. My keybindings remain the same and when switching from heals to DPS or vice versa your suggestion falls flat and is not a true solution to the problem.

So all of your toons use the exact same spell set and keybinds be it JK or SI?

So all of your toons use the exact same spell set and keybinds be it JK or SI?

You misunderstand. When you switch a UI profile, your keybindings stay the same. Sure, the bars might move around the screen but the same ability is in the same button which has the same key bound. This doesn't work when switching from heals to DPS or vice versa. What I have bound to "1" for heals is entirely different than I'd want for DPS. Same with tanking to DPS.

But, to directly answer your question, yes. I do keep things the same so that its more muscle memory. I don't really know the specific name of the spell I'm using at any given time, I just know what it does and what place in my rotation is has. I've setup my keybinds throughout all of my characters to have the exact same keybind layout in the action bars so it is more intuitive when I move between characters. Even this level of order doesn't help me put things back where they need to go, I have to refer to a screenshot to make sure I have it right. Perhaps that's just a bit neurotic of me, but its not at all convenient.

Not in mine, it is the best we have, but it is a clumsy compared to how dual- or multispecs work in other games.

Heh, its kind of like saying "you have all of the outdoors to poop in, why would you want indoor plumbing?!".

Heh, its kind of like saying "you have all of the outdoors to poop in, why would you want indoor plumbing?!".

No, it's like saying you have this kind of indoor pluming, why would you want that kind of indoor pluming, which isn't better than the one you have, just different

Well yes ..... 4k dps on the horror in NiM back when it was new must be a sign that clickers are terrible. I couldn't agree more with you sir. Also, and I hate to bring you this news .... with a 1,5 second global cooldown a clicker isn't a bad thing.

Anyways. I havent got an issue with respeccing AT ALL. I'm respeccing between sharshooter and saboteur in a matter of seconds. Dirty fighting takes a bit longer since it has more skills to move.

On my sage and mando healer I allready am prepared for my offspec by having a separated quickbar with my offdps skills which i can simply drag 1 bar down to swap them with offhealing. Just adept ;-)

If they really bring it, nice. If not than not. I rather want housing, new content, new races, ect ...

No, it's like saying you have this kind of indoor pluming, why would you want that kind of indoor pluming, which isn't better than the one you have, just different

What you're saying is entirely qualitative. I say that a system that saves specs and action bar layouts is better. Your opinion isn't more valid than mine so stop trying to pass it off as if your opinion is the right one. Don't suppose to tell me what is better for me.

What you're saying is entirely qualitative. I say that a system that saves specs and action bar layouts is better. Your opinion isn't more valid than mine so stop trying to pass it off as if your opinion is the right one. Don't suppose to tell me what is better for me.

Where have I ever said that?

I just said dual spec isn't inherently better than field respec and your whole post could be applied to you, as you're trying to tell me that my opinion isn't as valid as yours

You made the comparison between field respec and dual spec as if the dual spec was more advanced.

I made the comparison as if they are on the same level but different types.

which isn't better than the one you have, just different

So hypocrite much?

Edited by Never_Hesitate

Where have I ever said that?

I just said dual spec isn't inherently better than field respec and your whole post could be applied to you, as you're trying to tell me that my opinion isn't as valid as yours

You made the comparison between field respec and dual spec as if the dual spec was more advanced.

I made the comparison as if they are on the same level but different types.

So hypocrite much?

You specifically say that dual-spec isn't better, when that is clearly a qualitative statement and not quantitative. Dual-spec is positively better for me, I don't like field respec at all and it is definitely worse for me, but I don't believe (other than my joke about pooping) I've ever intimated that it is anything other than my opinion.

Edited by Phyltr

You specifically say that dual-spec isn't better, when that is clearly a qualitative statement and not quantitative. Dual-spec is positively better for me, I don't like field respec at all and it is definitely worse for me, but I don't believe (other than my joke about pooping) I've ever intimated that it is anything other than my opinion.

So let me get this straight:

When you say "dual spec is better than field respec" it's your opinion but when I say "field respec is at least on the same level as dual spec" it's something more than my opinion?

So let me get this straight:

When you say "dual spec is better than field respec" it's your opinion but when I say "field respec is at least on the same level as dual spec" it's something more than my opinion?

When have I made that as a quantitative statement? I've looked through every page of this thread and I don't see myself every making that statement. I've always stated what my position on the topic is. You are attempting to say that they are quantitatively on the same level, which is simply not true. You never say "for me....I feel that they are on the same level" you say that for everyone that plays SWTOR that dual-spec isn't any better than field respec which is just isn't true.

Edit: You know what? I've been thinking about it and if the system is implemented with field respec as is, just with added slots for remembered specs (including action bar layouts) added, I will argue 100% that it is quantitatively better. How could you possibly argue that the system you seem to like is worse off with this added feature?

Edited by Phyltr