Revan

bobbymozart

What do you guy think of the novel 'The Old Republic Revan'? I have just finished reading it. Some people criticize the ending of Revan and the Jedi Exile. But i found it not that bad. Another thing is do you think that the story of Revan and Jedi Exile have finished after what have been shown in this game? Revan just disappeared after being defeated in Foundry Flashpoint. Will there be more? Where can i find?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guy think of the novel 'The Old Republic Revan'? I have just finished reading it. Some people criticize the ending of Revan and the Jedi Exile. But i found it not that bad. Another thing is do you think that the story of Revan and Jedi Exile have finished after what have been shown in this game? Revan just disappeared after being defeated in Foundry Flashpoint. Will there be more? Where can i find?

I did not like the Novel for many Reasons .

In my opinion Revan was only "GOOD" because he was brainwashed by the Jedi .

They should have and still can make a Novel of PreWars Revan which would have been 100% better and or a Book that comes into Darth Revan up till his brainwashing.

As for will he be back , well hopefully with a better story . Dev's have left him up in the air to which if he is dead or will make a return .

I personally would like to see maybe like a Flashpoint in which you deal with a Dead Sithlord or maybe a living one from KotoR series (I or II) .

I did not like the Novel for many Reasons .

In my opinion Revan was only "GOOD" because he was brainwashed by the Jedi .

They should have and still can make a Novel of PreWars Revan which would have been 100% better and or a Book that comes into Darth Revan up till his brainwashing.

But Revan only became Darth Revan because he was brainwashed by the Sith so does that mean he was only "EVIL" because of the Emperor?.. sure he was turning to the darkside during the course of the war but it was the Emperor that finally pushed him over the edge.

But Revan only became Darth Revan because he was brainwashed by the Sith so does that mean he was only "EVIL" because of the Emperor?.. sure he was turning to the darkside during the course of the war but it was the Emperor that finally pushed him over the edge.
Revan's fall to the dark side actually began quite a bit before he met the Emperor. Revan and Malak pretty much turned to the dark side after discovering Malachor V and then began indoctrinating their forces with Sith teachings. Remember that flashback when Revan and Malak find the starmap on Dantooine? That was before they met the Emperor. The Emperor did push them over the edge, but they were pretty far gone by then.

We should also remember that even before Malachor and the Star Maps Revan and Malak's tactics during the Mandalorian Wars were fairly ambiguous.

I think, in the end, Revan was very driven and determined to protect the Republic at any cost, even if that meant breaking the Jedi Code and sacrificing lives. He also had a lust for knowledge and power like Exar Kun. I think the former is pretty clear when Revan is freed from his imprisonment and attempts mass genocide. Yes you could argue that he went mad after being imprisoned and probed by the Emperor for 300 years. But I think his personality had something to do with it as well.

Revan was certainly no pious Jedi.

I hate pretty much everything they have done with Revan since the original KOTOR, and I blame Obsidian. They had to get him out of the way for KOTOR II and came up with a terrible excuse. Then Bioware basically used the novel to set up this game and wanted Revan and Meetra involved as a way to "pass the torch" so to speak. Both of them ended up getting short-changed in the novel.

That said, there is no way his story is done. He disappears with 10 percent health left. If he was dead, there would have been a corpse. They had him vanish specifically to allow him to be used again later.

Though I will say. the Maelstorm Prison/Foundry were missed opportunities to introduce a new and possibly interesting character.

Yup. I feel that Revan was shoe-horned into the game. We could have had a new and interesting character instead.

Yup. I feel that Revan was shoe-horned into the game. We could have had a new and interesting character instead.

He was shoe-horned in, lol you could have easily replaced Raven with just about anyone just as long as they were a Jedi.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Or just to leave the option avaliable, he could just have easily died. Everything in-universe points to his death.

In beta he did die by leaving a corpse behind but the Revanites raged and raged and raged and raged and raged and they changed it. It has nothing to do with plans to use him in the future.

Where do I start:

1. Karpyshyn ignored so much of KOTOR 2 and it showed.

2. "T3, go help Revan!"...Really? The Exile was supposed to be a master tactician. It would have made a heck of a lot more sense for T3 to guard the door while she helped Revan, but no, she decided it was smart to send a utility droid to take on the Emperor of the Sith Empire.

3. If the Exile didn't trust Scourge, she shouldn't have had her back turned to him.

I realize the Emperor had plot armor, but it could have been Revan and the Exile alone fighting the Emperor. They could have sensed his betrayal at the last moment and been forced to kill him. It would have made a lot more sense than some random weak upstart literally stabbing the Exile in the back. Aside from that, the Exile's character was not grasped very well.

Not to mention the lack of closure for some of the companions. OK we saw Canderous, T3, Bastila, and maybe Carth, and we found out that Mission & Zaalbar are running some sort of business. We also know what happens to at least most of the Exile's companions. What about Jolee & Juhani?

Edited by BradTheImpaler

The novel wasn't bad by any means, but I found myself a little disappointed because I had very high expectations. I actually found myself enjoying Scourge's part of the story more than Revan's. Although in fairness, I regularly find myself enjoying Sith-centric stories more than Jedi.

The novel completely disregarded previous canon elements, which means that it is bad. As a stand-alone book, it's okay, but in the context of a greater universe, it's pretty bad.

Also, compare it to other Star Wars novels and the writing pales in comparison.

Edited by Aurbere

The novel completely disregarded previous canon elements

Such as? Genuine question, I haven't read much of the EU stuff but I didn't pick up on anything that seems too out of sync with the games. I thought it was odd that there seemed to be plenty of jedi in the novel but they were all gone by kotor 2, but other than that everything seems fine to me.

Such as? Genuine question, I haven't read much of the EU stuff but I didn't pick up on anything that seems too out of sync with the games. I thought it was odd that there seemed to be plenty of jedi in the novel but they were all gone by kotor 2, but other than that everything seems fine to me.
It gave an extremely poor representation of the current state of the Republic. After the Jedi Civil War the Jedi Order is in tatters and the Republic are broken, all the while an invisible threat is destroying what little remains. Revan doesn't seem to touch on any of this. You wouldn't think for a moment that they were in the midst of the Dark Wars.

One other thing that bugged me if how Revan was treated. Yes he's saved the Republic and all but would he really go back to being a Jedi? Become a Master? Even if the Jedi Order did accept him would he really want to go on that path again? To me, after the journey he has undertaken, I think Revan was beyond that, I think he should have disappeared straight of the bat. None of this happy families business with Bastila Shan.

And then we have Revan's encounter with Atris, I mean, what? It read like some kind of high school spat, not a confrontation between the zealot Jedi Historian who condemned Revan and the Revanchists as traitors, and a former Sith Lord who mercilessly slaughtered and converted countless Jedi. These guys literally should have been at each others throats, lightsabers drawn!

Basically, the intial chapters just felt odd and out of place with the climate of the current era. The rest IMO was good, though I can't say I was a fan of Meetra being 'nerfed' and no real attempt was made to explore anyone's character other than Scourge - who I didn't find overly compelling.

Overall good story, but the little things let it down big time.

P.S. And calling Revan's son Vaner? I mean, really?

One other thing that bugged me if how Revan was treated. Yes he's saved the Republic and all but would he really go back to being a Jedi? Become a Master? Even if the Jedi Order did accept him would he really want to go on that path again? To me, after the journey he has undertaken, I think Revan was beyond that, I think he should have disappeared straight of the bat. None of this happy families business with Bastila Shan.

And then we have Revan's encounter with Atris, I mean, what? It read like some kind of high school spat, not a confrontation between the zealot Jedi Historian who condemned Revan and the Revanchists as traitors, and a former Sith Lord who mercilessly slaughtered and converted countless Jedi. These guys literally should have been at each others throats, lightsabers drawn!

What's wrong with him going back to the Jedi? Isn't that what Kotor was all about? Redemption, fixing his mistakes and going back to light and being a Jedi again? Wasn't he not on the best of terms with the Council anyway?? Also I liked Revan and Bastila havin' a happy life together, they were totally into each other in game, least the way I played. :p

I don't really remember exactly what happened, haven't read it in a while, but as you say Revan is a former Sith Lord who slaughtered/converted Jedi while he was turned to the Dark Side. He was a Jedi again, so I don't know why he would want to start a fight. Self defense sure but, yeah..

Which follows the god awful law of redemption that Lucas and Authors have come out with, Vader was the second biggest war criminal in the entire galaxy just behind his majesty the Emperor, but it's alright cus at the end he threw the guy he already hated down an elevator shaft and saved his own son.

Totally makes up for committing genocides all over the galaxy, if there is one thing I hate about Star Wars it's how sickeningly cheesy the redemption angles can be, these people became Sith and took part in the butchering of sometimes even billions, a few good deeds don't cancel out such horrific war crimes.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Edited by LadyKulvax

Which follows the god awful law of redemption that Lucas and Authors have come out with, Vader was the second biggest war criminal in the entire galaxy just behind his majesty the Emperor, but it's alright cus at the end he threw the guy he already hated down an elevator shaft and saved his own son.

Totally makes up for committing genocides all over the galaxy, if there is one thing I hate about Star Wars it's how sickeningly cheesy the redemption angles can be, these people became Sith and took part in the butchering of sometimes even billions, a few good deeds don't cancel out such horrific war crimes.

Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."

Obi-wan: "Your father was seduced by the Dark Side of the force, he ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened the good man who was your father was destroyed."

He wasn't himself, the Dark Side twists your mind and turns you into someone else.

What's wrong with him going back to the Jedi? Isn't that what Kotor was all about? Redemption, fixing his mistakes and going back to light and being a Jedi again? Wasn't he not on the best of terms with the Council anyway?? Also I liked Revan and Bastila havin' a happy life together, they were totally into each other in game, least the way I played. :p

I don't really remember exactly what happened, haven't read it in a while, but as you say Revan is a former Sith Lord who slaughtered/converted Jedi while he was turned to the Dark Side. He was a Jedi again, so I don't know why he would want to start a fight. Self defense sure but, yeah..

It just seemed to be lacking in gravitas. I mean, stuff had gone down in KOTOR - then he just rejoins the Jedi and goes back to normal? It just seemed anticlimatic. I always got the feeling that Revan simply disappeared right after KOTOR and left everyone behind, all mysterious and like. Because that's the kind of character he was. Not just settle down and try to start a family.

And as for Atris and Revan, it just seemed wrong. So much had happened between him and the Order, and it amounts to this? Just the idea of Revan coming back seemed wrong to me.

One other thing that bugged me if how Revan was treated. Yes he's saved the Republic and all but would he really go back to being a Jedi? Become a Master? Even if the Jedi Order did accept him would he really want to go on that path again? To me, after the journey he has undertaken, I think Revan was beyond that

Actually, I thought the opposite. Atris seemed to quite openly hate him and the book suggested that the other masters felt similarly. Given redemption and avoiding things like anger and hate are kind of what the jedi are all about, it seemed strange to me that the masters at Coruscant were so openly bitter towards him.

This is a serious issue for me in the Star Wars mythos. How many people did Kyp Durron massacre with the Sun Crusher? Yeah, I know, it was Exar Kun. But there seem to be virtually no consequences for Jedi who fall to the dark side and do horrible things if they are later redeemed, when it is usually their own moral failings and weaknesses that lead them down that path in the first place. You start to understand why some in the Star Wars universe wonder whether they would be better off with no Jedi or Sith at all.

It just seemed to be lacking in gravitas. I mean, stuff had gone down in KOTOR - then he just rejoins the Jedi and goes back to normal? It just seemed anticlimatic. I always got the feeling that Revan simply disappeared right after KOTOR and left everyone behind, all mysterious and like. Because that's the kind of character he was. Not just settle down and try to start a family.

And as for Atris and Revan, it just seemed wrong. So much had happened between him and the Order, and it amounts to this? Just the idea of Revan coming back seemed wrong to me.

He's not the first or last fallen Jedi who has been redeemed and returned to the Order. By stopping Malak and destroying the Star Forge, he at least provided some sort of restitution, unlike many of the other fallen Jedi who have massacred countless people before being welcomed back upon redemption. Frankly, Atris is a complete afterthought to me. There were other Jedi around, including at least a couple of those who survived the destruction of the temple on Dantooine. They were keenly aware of his actions during KOTOR. The idea of him returning to the order seemed fairly natural to me.

I was actually bothered by the "searching out the true Sith" excuse they gave in KOTOR II for getting rid of Revan with no real explanation. It makes a lot more sense now given what we know of Vitiate and his role in the Mandalorian war and Jedi Civil War. But at the time, it seemed pretty lame.

What bothered me about the novel and setup for TOR was that BOTH Revan and the Exile got pretty shortchanged/nerfed. The Exile in particular deserved better. I wouldn't have minded if one or both of them had been betrayed and killed, but the person who killed them should have been the Emperor himself, setting up the main bad guy for TOR, not Scourge. Keeping Revan alive was a cheap way to bring people who played KOTOR to this game when the game could have stood on its own merits. Revan and Meetra Surik both deserved epic endings that they didn't get. The Foundry was a spit in the face to KOTOR fans, as far as I'm concerned.