Vanguard vs Commando for PVP

ArmdRecce

Vanguard/Assualt and loving it in pvp.

I went from 10-14 last night in pvp and was top dmg/kills quite often and voted mvp 3-4 times.

Nothing like charging into a pack of people finding the weakest and wasting him and keep mowing them down.

The toon fits my play style to a T...heavy armor for my suicide rush plenty of hard hitting range/short range/melee to use while charging in.

Team up with a healer and bodys are falling like dominos.

Vanguard/Assualt and loving it in pvp.

I went from 10-14 last night in pvp and was top dmg/kills quite often and voted mvp 3-4 times.

Nothing like charging into a pack of people finding the weakest and wasting him and keep mowing them down.

The toon fits my play style to a T...heavy armor for my suicide rush plenty of hard hitting range/short range/melee to use while charging in.

Team up with a healer and bodys are falling like dominos.

I completely agree!!

Two different styles honestly. Vanguard is about finding the biggest threat and either stomping it down/controlling it with your CC/Damage spikes or being upfront pain in the butt to the enemy team. They are more defensive and are at home in the 10mm range.

Commando is about long range punishment or healing. They are the armored turret and if left to their own devices will deliver the hurt.

So it comes down to rather you want to storm in or be the cannon.

They are both good, just very different play styles. Vanguard is much more mobile and in your face, Commando is a very effective ranged turret. I play commando and love it, but I am usually play ranged classes so stopping to cast is something I am used to. People who usually play melee classes will probably like the Vanguard a lot more.

Vanguards have a lot of tools to deal with most situations in pvp. While you lack a knockback having grapple, charge (in tanking spec) guard and taunt more than makes up for it. I'm a beast on my powertech.

You also have enough ranged abilites to kite to a degree or to chase down enemies with. You also don't carry a giant glowing stick that says target me.

Edited by Drunkenmaster

I've got basically no experience in PvP but shouldn't healers love vanguards? We should be amazing at keeping people off healers with constant slows, stuns, grapple, taunt and guard. If I tried PvP right now that's probably what I'd focus on, keeping people off the healers/hutball carrier.

• 6 months later...
btw low lvl pvp doesnt mean crap , because you are mostly using a lot of talent of the base tree trooper , and your damage are nicely boosted even better than if you were lvl 25 you will see later on...

your stats are boosted at level 25 too...if a level 25 is beaten by a level 10 in any wz i want to know who the level 25 is so i can go and personally wap him, upside the head.

more on topic, i have no clue if im necroing nor do i care, but i like them both. i enjoy a merc(same as commando) healer, as it feels somewhat similar to a hpally, and im really liking the energy like resource mechanic more than mana as you will never run out so long as you play smart. as for vanguard, i really enjoy it too as i like a melee class that uses some ranged abilities. it feels somewhat similar to a ret or unholy dk from the other game if your looking for comparisons. just a melee with some ranged utility.

if you just want the simple "OMG JUST TELL ME WHICH ONE HAZ DA AWEZOME DEEPZ AND WIL FAZEROLL NUBS!", then the "best" on is vanguard, as it has higher damage(argue all you want but good vanguard dps vs good commando dps, even though the commando has the bigger gun, the vanguard will out dps him), and survivability. if you dont like melee tho, or just really want a big gun, feel free to go commando. or if you like healing

your stats are boosted at level 25 too...if a level 25 is beaten by a level 10 in any wz i want to know who the level 25 is so i can go and personally wap him, upside the head.

I started WZs on my Commando at 10. I regularly beat higher lvl players and continue to do so as I level.

I have a nearly fully WH geared Assault VG. My commando is now lvl18 and Assault specced as well. They are similar enough that play style is near identical. There are a lot of 25+ people out there you need to "wap". You may even be one of them! :D

Nothing more to say: Screen

I pull in 200K+ damage on a regular basis as a sub 20 commando and I've been doing that since lvl10. You post that 122K like its validation. VG is great, no doubt about it, but Commando is great as well and while VG is my preference, that pic doesn't do it justice.

btw low lvl pvp doesnt mean crap , because you are mostly using a lot of talent of the base tree trooper , and your damage are nicely boosted even better than if you were lvl 25 you will see later on...

^^ what he said, this thread is cracking me up...