Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Marauder frustration.

Datraza

Soo i decided to continue on leveling my marauder but then i asked in general what companion that was best for me.

Everyone said Quinn.

Now to get one point clear, i play the game mostly because they implomented companions.

Now, quinn is ok but hes boring and the gameplay becomes boring.

Gameplay: Run in as dps. Deal damage. heal by quinn. high chance of dying.

Soo what the thread is about: Quinn is the only companion that suits marauder because:

He heals and you get no healer spec, but it gets extremely frustrating for me to use one companion all the time especially when you can still die easily as a marauder whit quinn.

And the marauder self heals sux. u get healed whenever a bleed effect crits. well this is only 1% the bleed effect do only last like 6 seconds or something and you die too fast.

And not to talk about the other companions:

Vette: Deals Ok damage but all aggro are on me soo i die.

Quinn: Ok healing, but all aggro on soo, hes heals are useless.

Jaesa: OK damage but she has a tendency to draw aggro making her die, then i die.

Piere: He takes too much damage and aggro and does not nearly have enough hp to survive a single battle whitout heals.

Broonmark: ^

Soo i feel like its not worth having my marauder anymore, its just taking up space...

And aslo i cant even find a set of armor that look atleast decent on the marauder soo yea...

Healing companions are of course great because of - well healing.

But don't discount well equipped tanking companions and dps companions. The issue is keeping them up to par in equipment. I mostly always run with the dps companions when not on some 'boss' type mob that I can't handle with it.

I like companions like Jasea for this reason.

Kill faster = less need for healing as well :)

Soo i decided to continue on leveling my marauder but then i asked in general what companion that was best for me.

Everyone said Quinn.

Now to get one point clear, i play the game mostly because they implomented companions.

Soo what the thread is about: Quinn is the only companion that suits marauder because:

He heals and you get no healer spec, but it gets extremely frustrating for me to use one companion all the time especially when you can still die easily as a marauder whit quinn.

And the marauder self heals sux. u get healed whenever a bleed effect crits. well this is only 1% the bleed effect do only last like 6 seconds or something and you die too fast.

Jaesa: OK damage but she has a tendency to draw aggro making her die, then i die.

Piere: He takes too much damage and aggro and does not nearly have enough hp to survive a single battle whitout heals.

Soo i feel like its not worth having my marauder anymore, its just taking up space...

And aslo i cant even find a set of armor that look atleast decent on the marauder soo yea...

I had to heal after each battle while leveling my sentinel, until I got Doc once I finished Balmorra. With him well equipped, most of the time I don't drop below 80% health.

And sentinels/marauders die easier than knights/juggernauts, but you shouldn't be dying THAT much even without a healer. I recommend looking at your and your companions equipment and make sure it's not more than 2-3 levels below your current level at the LEAST.

If that's all ok and you aren't running around aggroing 2-3 groups instead of 1, then the only thing I can see is that you need to alter your playstyle to be more effective. Marauders are killing machines, and even with medium armor you shouldn't be dying left and right.

Edited by KorathTheCool

Quinn isn't the only healer. lrn 2 shipbot... He does heal.

Also: Having troubles leveling a marauder = User error. You should be getting used to cycling through CDs because you will need to do that crap in both pvp and raiding. Or you could level as Smash and roll through mobs of 4+ with ease.

Are you running in starter planet gear or something? Are you keeping quinn up to date with his gear as well? (especially his mainhand/offhand)

i dont know why everyone needs to gear their companion, its a pain, but still easy to overlevel an instance your in, but still not high enough for you to skip out on xp, doesn't matter which companion i use, they all have the original gear i got them with, even at lv50-55 lol, its not hard or necessary to gear companions, but then again, i hate the concept of a companion, i prefer the idea of running around as a 'lone-wolf' type hero, but thats probably just me, and if you outlevel an area by 3-4 levels at least, and keep yourself geared, regardless of companion gear, you should be able to use any of the companions you wish.

Like others here have said, you need to gear your buddies as well as yourself.

I've played with all the different combinations, and I can make them work. I do prefer Quinn over everyone else, but I can just as easily use Vette or Jaesa.

It's a bit trickier to use Pierce, he does die rather fast, but its not impossible. Broonmark is ok to work with too. It's all in the gear, and practice, to get used to running with a dps or tanky sort. Good luck. :)

I used Vette all the way! She is an awesome DPS and I might say the best Soundrel/Ranged DPS type in the game. I would send her in first and then destroy mobs. Jaesa is my next go to companion and she puts in work. Out of all my companions, I made sure to keep Quinn, Vette and Jaesa well equipped.

Just wanted to add:

Make sure Quinn's offensive abilities are toggled OFF. I would recommend keeping his channeled stun ON but otherwise only activate his abilities that heal. If he's too busy doing damage, that's time away from healing you.

Be sure he is in his healing stance.

At launch when I leveled a Mar I never used Quinn then towards the end of the class story his portion of it reenforced that choice. I used Vette most of the way and had little problems. If you understand your class and keep your companions gear up to level it's no problem. Heck just buy greens of you level for Vette, they are cheap and easy to get or use shells and use your extra coms for her.

You can run a marauder+dps or tank comp, if you know what you are doing. Lately i've been keeping all of my primary comps equipped with full moddable gear and giving them premium armoring and mods starting at level 17 and upgrading every 4 levels. So at 17-21-25-29 and so on i upgrade their gear. I upgrade my own stuff at 15-19-23-27 and i use all prototype quality, armoring from my cybertech, hilts from my artificer (or GTN if i am too lazy to craft) i get my mods and enhancements through planetary comms.

I've just recently leveled a Vengeance Jugg to 48 and i kept my gear up to date the whole time. I used my cybertech to craft most of the gear i mentioned and i always picked the one that was heavy in primary stat. If you look at a Guardian armoring/hilt and a Might armoring/hilt you will see that Guardian has more endurance then strength, and Might will have more Strength then Endurance. I went with all Might armoring and hilts, whenever possible i chose the mod or enhancement with the most amount of power even if it had the lowest endurance. For Marauder the stat priority might be different, so look into that. If a crafted prototype enhancement had more power then the what the planetary mod comm vendor had i would craft that instead with my artifice. But the vendor stuff will work just fine too if you dont have a high level artifice. Jaesa also had gear that was heavier in willpower instead of endurance. By the time i hit Alderaan or Hoth i usually have lots of planetary comm badges, so i can afford to buy jaesa a prototype quality Force Wielder hilt (the only time i buy an endurance heavy mod).

Now thats gear, the other main thing you need to worry about is your rotation and how you and your comp are focus firing a pack. I have all of Jaesa's AOE attacks enabled and i will send her right into the middle of the pack with CTRL+1. I jump in right after and open up with a smash. After that i use my hard hitting abilities to bring down mobs fast. Since me and my Jaesa are so well geared I let her handle 1 or two of her own and i work on the other mobs. Again you want to use hard hitting abilities...Vicious Slash, is not a hard hitting ability. The Marauder Bleed spec unfortunately isnt that good for multitarget burst. Smash spec works better then that, but i havent tried it in a long time. Vengeance i have a chance to reset my CD on Ravage so i dont hesitate to use Ravage on a standard mob.

Jaesa does tend to pull aggro pretty fast. She doesnt have to worry about building up rage like you do, so she can front load a lot of damage and therefore a lot of threat. I use this to my advantage when fighting strong and elite mobs and i share 'tanking' with her. On my Vengeance Jugg I will send her in first with CTRL+1. I will do my saber throw, then i will charge in. From there i go into my rotation and usually by the time Jaesa is at 75-80% hp, my attacks will have done enough damage to grab aggro from the mob. This is what i mean by shared tanking, despite neither of us being tanks. She soaks up say 2000 damage, then i soak up about 2000 damage. This works a lot better then me jumping in first, keeping all the aggro and taking all 4000-5000 damage while she takes none. When i do the channeled self heal it is a second or two shorter if i only have to heal both of us +2000 health each, instead of healing just me after taking all the damage.

If you want to try a tanking comp thats up to you. I tried gearing up broonmark in exact same quality gear as Jaesa. But that meant that now i had to do more burst damage so that he wasnt taking as much damage. It was nice that i was getting out of fights with all my HP, but Broon was coming out with 40-50% of his hp left. I switched back to Jaesa and just shared tanking again and ended up coming out of fights with both me and her sitting at 70-80% (sometimes higher) HP.

Everyone said Quinn.

And aslo i cant even find a set of armor that look at least decent on the marauder soo yea...

Your ship droid also heals. Check you companion "mode". Mine sometimes get switched of heal mode so they just dps. Make sure you AND your companion are WELL geared. Planet comm blues for your level are usually fine. Med packs that heal you and your companion are available. Also presence stims maybe helpful.

Managing you attacks and your companions can be a handful. I opt for Tank companions when soloing a dps/heal class 95% of the time. You will still run into the occasional 'woops" and pull too much or companion will die but thats the price of soloing.

This seems to be one of those "learn to play the class the way you like it" moments. From the way the OP is talking, it seems this is like his Marauder is his first time at a pure DPS class, and isn't used to the way the mechanics work for him.

It took me a dozen characters of each class combination before I decided on an advanced class, skill tree and companion choices for my game that I like to play. I tend to find that healer companions tend to have less and less use as you level up, because for me, they can't keep up with the damage I take because of their cooldown on their abilities is so slow. So, I tend to go for tanks, who draw aggro off me to stay alive, or DPS characters to help kill them before they can kill me. The only healers I regularly take with me are Mako for my BH or Dorne for my Trooper, because I like their personalities.

So, if you really, absolutely NEED a healer, make friends with people who are spec'ed that way. A player speced healer has faster cool downs and more healing abilities than a companion healer. Remember though, that a player healer whose class has heals but isn't speced that way is only as good as your companion healer.

Sounds like the OP's problem is the same problem which plagues every player at one time or another: aggro management.

To the person who suggested that the ship droid is a viable alternative to Quinn, yes, except one of the OP's complaints re: Quinn is that he is boring. The ship droid is more boring than Quinn.

I level my mara with Pierce atm, no problems at all. In the normal solo content at least, any combination is possible, some are just easier than others. Only time I pick Quinn is when I know the fight is going to take so long that Pierce will most likely die too fast.

If gameplay with Quinn is boring, pick some other companion to run with.Maybe it will be more challenging then.

I leveled my sentinel as watchmen with a tanking companion. I used T7 for a fairly long time until I picked up Scourge. Between my self healing, Scourge's healing, scourge taking the majority of the hits and me killing everything quickly, I've never had an issue.

I'm only now starting to work on fixing up Doc's healing gear. I'm 55 and Doc's gear was at its best at around level 39. :eek:

Maybe give Annihilation spec with a decently geared tanking companion a go?

If you're 39, you should be able to play smash if you use this spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bcZ0MZdMrkrGzM.3

Properly played, I took down the average pull of multiple standards with a strong in about 12 seconds.

Gear included blue mod'd oranges, up-to-date stims, and I think some power loaded implants from biochem.

The key is to spam slash and blade storm all day and only sweep when you're zen, which, should be every pull. Since slash refunds one focus, using 5 slashes with a full bar'll give 20 centering, plus 2 per GCD of getting hit and 3 for kills.

Happy sweeping the floor with them.

I tried using Quinn but it just turned into a huge mess for the longest time - so I swapped out to Pierce and he does much better. Holds aggro well and if not I can clean up the one or two that he's missed no biggie. :D Plus he's pretty awesome in terms of character.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.