Scheduled Maintenance: June 12th, 2013 [UPDATED 6:45AM PDT]

AmberGreen

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not the issue. If they found the bug a week ago they could have delayed it for as long as needed. But right now the damage is done.

What needs to be weighed is the severity of allowing said bug to go live vs messing up everyone who scheduled their lives around this. This is why many people are asking what the bug is. If it's something like "unify colors isn't working" or "TfB NiM first boss can't be killed", or "ranked warzone queue is broken".

Well not necesairly on topic, but I noticed a slight error in those things under your posts my friend.

NOSTRUM DOLUS - The Red Eclipse

4/4 EC NiM + <2hr Run

2600+ RWZ

Kamii - Combat Sentinel

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/kamiirating.png/

You might want to correct that 2600 error to 1466. Best of luck friend :).

Edited by SajPl

Well not necesairly on topic, but I noticed a slight error in those things under your posts my friend.

NOSTRUM DOLUS - The Red Eclipse

4/4 EC NiM + <2hr Run

2600+ RWZ

Kamii - Combat Sentinel

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/kamiirating.png/

You might want to correct that 2600 error to 1466. Best of luck friend :).

It's not my rating, it's the ranked team rating. And you are right it needs to be corrected to ~3200.

It's not my rating, it's the ranked team rating. And you are right it needs to be corrected to ~3200.

Not sure why would you post someone elses rating but in that case can I leech on it as well and mislead people that I actually have a rating of 3200 ?

Not sure why would you post someone elses rating but in that case can I leech on it as well and mislead people that I actually have a rating of 3200 ?

Because it's a guild signature. I've not played ranked warzones in over 6 months. Everyone at TRE knows that.

EDIT: Anyway I fail to see how is this relevant for the patch 2.2. discussion. Just start a thread about it if you feel so strongly about this.

Edited by Qvasar

For PVP, this just means another day of people running around with purple crafted level 53/54 implants and earpieces which are being seen as green by bolster. I was looking forward to this bug/exploit being quashed. How many days of bolster has it been since the launch of 2.0? And yet, here we are, months down the road and bolster is not fixed and still exploitable.

Just another day? You act like they were going to fix this with 2.2.

You must be new around here. ;)

Eric thank you for the reply. I still think it is a terrible practice to schedule an update which isn't finished. Why not make sure it is final and then schedule the update? You would avoid these kinds of situations.

You haven't been here long, have you?

If they didn't schedule until they were finished, people would be screaming about how they never say when the update will be coming. Once they did know, they'd only be a few days out, and people would scream about how they didn't get enough notice.

For months, people on various forums DEMANDED to be told more about Bioware's development plans. Loudly. Repeatedly, and with liberal amounts of profanity. So, Bioware said: "Sure, we'll give you more information, but that information will be speculative and may change if we have issues."

So... the community whined and bawled and shouted profanities when Bioware didn't give them information... and now it does and you are going to whine and bawl about it?

Haven't read the many posts here, but with the delay, it would be best, for most Ops groups, if the patch is moved to the following Tuesday, rather than a Weds/Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon as to not mess with our lockouts :) Thanks :)

Nightmare TFB/S&V should have it's own lockout especially with the new gear

You haven't been here long, have you?

Been here since this started. But you are right. People complain about everything, it's impossible to keep this entire community happy. I even understand how Bioware may feel frustrated that whenever they think they did something right someone QQs about it. I also believe noone is more pissed at this patch being delayed than the developers.

I was merely offering a suggestion that could mitigate this in the future. Unforseeable events happen, just try and ensure their consquences aren't that great. Announcing a patch delay 1 week before patch = meh; Announcing it 24hrs before = forum-wide QQ.

Eric is there still any chance 2.2 will be implemented tomorrow, even if not at the announced time? Some of us actually took a vacation day for TfB NiM progression, and are (very) angry at the moment.

Same here. We are really disappointed, but we are used to it meanwhile. I can't understand how Bio can announce a patch which isn't ready for going live and then cancel it! Unbelievable!!!

I believe that the wise proverb that states "Less QQ, more pew pew" is very applicable here. I'm disappointed that the release was delayed, I'm wanting to transfer so that I can play with friends, but I also recognize that complaining doesn't somehow make BW fix the bugs faster. Not bashing anyone, just saying that it is what it is.

I'm not typically about voicing my grief on the forums, but this is the ultimate screw you to PvE guilds.

SV HM was a joke of an instance and was easily completed in 63 gear.

On Friday before Memorial Day at the end of the work day, Nightmare TFB was released to the PTS, template forum posts were made, and bioware disappeared for their holiday weekend. Players lockouts were transferred from LIVE and people had copy issues, there was not a single response until TUESDAY.

Guilds were outraged that the instance was even placed on the PTS. Several bugs were located on PTS and reported and no information or response was given. Our personal experience denied us entry to 16 NiM and didn't even allow our guild to test the instance. This information was relayed to your development team.

What was the response? We have not touched the PTS build since it was put up, but we'll be patching it either today or tomorrow. What happens after that? The PTS is taken down.

This "NEW" content, which has been out for 9 freaking months, has been scheduled for release, as such many people have scheduled their own personal time to race towards downing this content. People take off work, guilds change their raid schedules, and our completely welcome to this level of flexibility, even excited for it.

Then you crap on us again. This is literally the worst experience I've had in any game. The patch was supposed to be out in less than a day, how could you not have known this was going to happen this close to release? You should be working around the clock, rather than saying awww screw it we'll fix it tomorrow.

I already lost a sage healer to this, and have had to replace numerous amounts of good players due to how little there is to do in this game. I can understand once or twice, but this has become a pattern with you guys. There's no sign of anything changing and you just crapped on all of your "loyal subscribers."

I was merely offering a suggestion that could mitigate this in the future. Unforseeable events happen, just try and ensure their consquences aren't that great. Announcing a patch delay 1 week before patch = meh; Announcing it 24hrs before = forum-wide QQ.

What do you propose they do about it? Do a final build of the update and then sit on it for a week? In most professional software services, deployment builds are built 24-48 hours before deployment. The main reason this is done is to ensure the maximum amount of time for testing, while still giving you some extra time for final-build tests.

If, as you suggest, they opted not to even schedule release activities until a fully tested build was in place, then it creates a number of problems which you probably didn't even think about. First off, scheduling releases takes time. You need to prepare datacenters and datacenter workers. You need to coordinate deployment teams and test plans. Most of that cannot be done until you know the exact day of the release. Then, you have your request for a week's notice of problems. Well, that means that they would finish (for example) release 2.2 today, do the final build, schedule up all the resources for deployment, and then wait.

Meanwhile, development moves forward. A week later, they release and two days later, spot a bug. It's too late to get it into release 2.2.1, as that needed to be frozen a couple days earlier. So, the bug fix is scheduled for next weeks's build... which won't deploy until the week after that. Meanwhile, changes in 2.2.1 might make the bug worse, but you can't fix it, because you need to keep the build frozen... because missing a release day is worse than exposing bugs.

Let's sum that up a little clearer in case everyone missed it:

Scenario: Critical bug found 2 days after release. Fix is trivial.

Compare: Days that a critical bug is live on the service.

Weekly Releases, final build 24 hours before release: 5 days

Weekly Releases, final build 7 days before release: 12 days (plus complications to interim release)

There is a very good reason why software services have the deployment schedules they use. They know a lot more about this than the vast majority of gamers and if you want to criticize the practice, you'll need to come up with reasons a lot more convincing than: "It annoys me that I didn't have more notice." Especially considering that most people have already voiced the opinion that they want bugs fixed as quickly as possible.

And, yes, I do work for one of the services that does this very thing.

Not arguing with any of what you said. I did post earlier ina reply to another use stating how we do things where I work.

Just to sumarize (and we're not running MMOs here so stuff is of coure different): If we were to find a critical bug on a feature (in this case TfB NiM) on a software already scheduled for deployment, the decision would either be to release with the (non-critcal) bug on "know issues" or to pull out the feature (critical bug). Next on-cycle patch would fix the bug or restore the feature.

EDIT: Also you talked about critical bugs, those we all dread to see live, but if they made it to live, they would be fixed asap in na out-of-cycle patch (so no 5-12 days with critical bug).

Anyway, and I cannot emphasize this any more: There are many strategies for software deployment and each fits its own scenario. Bioware has their own strategy with which I largely agree with the exception of the final build - announce - deploy timeframe. It is of course not my place to lecture them on how to do their jobs - hence the word "suggestion".

Edited by Qvasar

I'd rather have a stable patch filled as less bugs as possible, than a bug they found that caused too many harmful bugs go live.

Agree! On this note, please just remove endgame PvP WZ bolster :rak_02: (yeah, not going to happen, I know).

What about server transfers?

It would be great to hear "yeah, we are still planning on having server transfers in the next update". I am dying to throw money at BW for transfers.

It would be great to hear "yeah, we are still planning on having server transfers in the next update". I am dying to throw money at BW for transfers.

Well of course its going to happen, eric didn't mention any bugs regarding server transfers, we are just wondering if its going to come without game update 2.2 aka sooner than the delayed update.

I was wondering about server transfers aswell. They did not say anything about them, can we get an answer to this Eric? Really want to transfer some of my characters ASAP.

Thanks.

chillax about the transfers.