Scheduled Maintenance: June 12th, 2013 [UPDATED 6:45AM PDT]

AmberGreen

For PVP, this just means another day of people running around with purple crafted level 53/54 implants and earpieces which are being seen as green by bolster. I was looking forward to this bug/exploit being quashed. How many days of bolster has it been since the launch of 2.0? And yet, here we are, months down the road and bolster is not fixed and still exploitable. Edited by revcrisis

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For PVP, this just means another day of people running around with purple crafted level 53/54 implants and earpieces which are being seen as green by bolster. I was looking forward to this bug/exploit being quashed. How many days of bolster has it been since the launch of 2.0? And yet, here we are, months down the road and bolster is not fixed and still exploitable.

People need to stop crying about PVP

Having a bug in the new Nightmare Mode Operation and letting that go live so waldo can server transfer for pvp would be bad for BW if they just went live with a bug like that. Why every pve guild is going to hit that raid day one of the update. If there is a bug then the forums would be a mess of rage from said pve guild.

Waldo taking time off from work just because of a game update is priceless.

No, we complain because it seems to be impossible for them to set a target date and hit that target.

Have you hit every deadline you've been given at work without any hiccups or errors? Doubtful. It's better to do it correctly the first time than to do it correctly the 2nd time.

Eric thank you for the reply. I still think it is a terrible practice to schedule an update which isn't finished. Why not make sure it is final and then schedule the update? You would avoid these kinds of situations.

Anyway, one question still remains. Does this mean transfers are delayed aswell?

Because then people complain that they don't tell us anything.

What exactly would that lesson be? Not to have any interest in competing for world firsts etc? Or maybe just that its time i moved on from SWTOR.

They clarified the problem now so for me personally, i can accept its more than likely the best course of action and it just sucks for me and the others who made plans.

Perhaps the lesson would be not to schedule your real life around a game? This is coming from someone who scheduled off for RoTHC so take my comment with a grain of salt and a hint of hypocrite.

To clarify two points in the thread. Although I don't have exact timing yet, Game Update 2.2 will not be tomorrow (6/11) at all. The maintenance is delayed past tomorrow.

As for the specific bug. What we needed to fix were some critical bugs inside of the the new Nightmare Mode Operation, which would need to be fixed before the Update went live. Upon implementing those fixes the Game Update itself became unstable. That is what we are working through now.

Hope that gives a bit of insight.

-eric

How about delaying it longer and fixing alot of the bugs such as the relic bugs?. i swear you create more then you fix you people

What exactly would that lesson be? Not to have any interest in competing for world firsts etc? Or maybe just that its time i moved on from SWTOR.

They clarified the problem now so for me personally, i can accept its more than likely the best course of action and it just sucks for me and the others who made plans.

World firsts were done on the test server, there is no competition for them in this game.

snip

Waldo taking time off from work just because of a game update is priceless.

Where is Waldo? LOL

But seriously, people need to stop crying about pvp. I don't care about how pvp is broken and you can't ROLFSTOMP an agent or that bolster is broken. I PVE and do raids. I want raid bugs fixed. And i don't care about PVP in any sense of the word except when crybaby PVP people scream at bioware and they end up catering to these crybabies and it messes up PVE ops/raids.

Just when I think EA/Bioware can't get any worse they do something like this. The patch was taken off the PTS a week ago and they couldn't get it ready for tomorrow??? Look everyone wants a well functioning game, but if there was that much work to do, the release date should have never been so close to the PTS period for the patch.

I mean... Before memorial day weekend the PTS goes up along with a forum post. Most people have problems copying and those that do have lock outs and can't do anything anyway. No response over the holiday weekend of course and then less than 1 full week on PTS before the patch is taken down two Sunday's ago. Now the patch still isn't ready??

Just stop all the passive aggressiveness and just come out and say that you want players to cancels their subs and go play some other game because you don't care enough to operate this one properly.

As for the specific bug. What we needed to fix were some critical bugs inside of the the new Nightmare Mode Operation, which would need to be fixed before the Update went live. Upon implementing those fixes the Game Update itself became unstable. That is what we are working through now.

-eric

Eric it would be nice if you could pass on to Development that PvP gameplay would certainly appreciate this same type of QA treatment.

Thanks.

:rak_03:

Hmmm so we got a update 2.1 which had no real free content. A promise that this would be ok, because we would get a patch 8 weeks from 2.0 hitting with real content. Then we find out the real content is very very little and even that wont be out on time? Or did I miss something.

Perhaps the lesson would be not to schedule your real life around a game? This is coming from someone who scheduled off for RoTHC so take my comment with a grain of salt and a hint of hypocrite.

I understand what he was implying the lesson to be :p

Im just saying that it is these small and infrequent events that drive people like myself to aim for BiS gear and learn tactics inside out. Its these patches that give me a reason to farm the same old junk each week. Without these things, i may as well just not play as much.

Eric thank you for the reply. I still think it is a terrible practice to schedule an update which isn't finished. Why not make sure it is final and then schedule the update? You would avoid these kinds of situations.

Anyway, one question still remains. Does this mean transfers are delayed aswell?

It is not horrible practice, no one on Earth says the report will be ready in a week when it is already done. You give an estimate, and so far they have a very good record of delivering. I don't see the point of being angry because your chance of yelling: "First" is postponed.

Quick, bug free, good quality: Pick two!

For PVP, this just means another day of people running around with purple crafted level 53/54 implants and earpieces which are being seen as green by bolster. .

From what I can see its a viewing/visability bug - it displays green a lot in PVE even though I know they are sporting crafted purples.

Game Update itself became unstable.

they had to set a date to keep their 8 week cadence.

i think we can assume from the bit i quoted that separating out parts of the update would be difficult. they will need to get it all working together before they release it.

thanks for the update. i appreciate the communication, even if it isn't necessarily what i want to hear. better to fix it first. stuff happens and the best we can do is own up to it and do our best to make it right.

From what I can see its a viewing/visability bug - it displays green a lot in PVE even though I know they are sporting crafted purples.

Yes, correct, but the problem is that the engine sees it as green, hence no bolster loss when you enter a warzone. Since you are actually wearing a purple, your expertise should be dipping. Essentially, this make a 53/54 implant/earpiece BiS. Which is quite hilarious when considering Bioware wants you to gear grind to a 55 Conqueror set.

Edited by revcrisis

You need to understand the complexities of working to an Agile software delivery model (Agile being where updates are designed, built, tested & deployed in small cycles of 2-8 weeks as opposed to years). With so many people working on the same code base even the smallest and most trivial of changes can have unforeseen side effects. Some may say this is base coding discipline, which is true to a certain extent, however in order to deliver content to us at a pace which we are happy with it's a necessary evil.

And then their is the technology stack: the array of different virtual and physical systems which run the game... and the numerous developers and technicians who support them. Again a change to a virtual system can have unintended affects on other virtual systems and/or physical systems and vice versa.

It's very, very difficult to plan for the unknown... especially with so many moving parts. This is why a large number of IT projects, both big and small, are delayed and/or postponed. An SWTOR content update patch is no different.

It's easy to say very flippant things like 'don't schedule an update which isn't finished' ... well that's just stupid. People complain that they're not given enough information to wet their appetite i.e. a roadmap of what's coming in the future. You cannot then in the same breath criticise the developers when they're honest enough to put their hands up and say 'something went wrong, we need more time'.

TL : DR - you probably don't have a thorough comprehension of the development complexities involved in content updates. Trust that the developers are making the right decisions for the health of the game and its players.

How about delaying it longer and fixing alot of the bugs such as the relic bugs?. i swear you create more then you fix you people

The relic bug is not a bug it is intended to work how it is work . You must have missed the post were the devs said working as intended.

@ Yaanos (didn't quote not to clutter the thread).

At the moment I'm working on research projects as a software engineer. Our team is nowhere near as large as Bioware of course, but we do have clients and we do have deadlines. Some projects have such stricts deadlines that we lose 10% of the contract value for each work day we are delayed.

You misunderstood me because I didn't explain myself throughly. When I said "mark it final and don't touch it" I wasn't saying not to fix bugs or to sit on your hands for a week. What I meant was that development is running a week (for exemple) ahead of deployment. Meaning what is to be deployed next week is locked. Whatever bugs there are can only be fixed on the new patch. This is a valid work strategy and of course it has pro's and con's.

Here we found that it's better to release something with "known issues", some of them which are already fixed on the next version, than to delay na entire release. Mostly however we don't release with "known issues", we postpone features. Like in this instance if the problem was TfB NiM, then TfB NiM would be pulled out of patch, and patch would still be released without it. The pull would have been done as soon as there was reasonable doubt it would be ready, and announced to the clients at that time (for exemple last week).

Edited by Qvasar