Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Level 54 gear

sirullrich

What are the servers doing about 54 gear in rateds. Are all the top guilds running the 54 gear now or are you guys not using it because you consider it an exploit? As of right now it's tough to say for me because everyone can get the gear, but just using 54 gear over my pvp gear kinda bothers me. But I am not going to gimp myself if all the top rateds teams are using it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the servers doing about 54 gear in rateds. Are all the top guilds running the 54 gear now or are you guys not using it because you consider it an exploit? As of right now it's tough to say for me because everyone can get the gear, but just using 54 gear over my pvp gear kinda bothers me. But I am not going to gimp myself if all the top rateds teams are using it.

I would imagine they are. I haven't gotten round to doing it as of yet. Though, probably will eventually (since it'll be a while before it's fixed no doubt).

Is it really an exploit though? The whole point if bolster was to allow virtually any gear types in WZs.

It is a curious question, but most of my peeps are running full pvp gear....

I don't really know if it's an exploit, but just the fact it's better than my PVP gear bothers me.

Is it really an exploit though? The whole point if bolster was to allow virtually any gear types in WZs.

If bolster really worked and I mean really worked then full PvP would be your only option to obtain the best stats rather than having to use PvE or creafted 54's. Bolster should help with gearing process which is what they wanted since they removed the recruit gear, I don't believe they intended players to reach a certain point like min/maxed conq and then use crafted purples to obtain higher stats.

bolster just needs to be removed from level 55 pvp. the original concept was a solid one, but the execution of that idea has been terrible. i dont know if its that the devs are that short-sighted or just that stupid, but all of the "fixes" havent fixed the problem.

remove bolster from 55 pvp. mail everyone a set of Recruit Mk3 gear when the hit 55 that is ~10% lower in all stats than Partisan gear.

I wouldn't call it an exploit. It's clearly NOT supposed to be bis either. so the fact that it exists is frustrating, somewhat insulting, but I think the corner capping thing is more exploitative, tbh. insofar as I'd actually have some degree of anger directed toward the person corner capping rather than the guy wearing the 54 gear. iunno. it's not an entirely logical answer/rationale, but c'est la vie. I'd be upset at BW for the 54 gear and the person for the corner cap (with a healthy dose for BW too! lol).

I'd be interested to know if anyone using 54 gear is completely foregoing their set bonuses and using full level 54s (head, chest, gloves, pants, boots)?

I think they are using main hand, off hand, implants, and earpiece.

It is most definitely an exploit. They are using a known bug to their advantage, very definition of an exploit.

Exploit or not, what's stopping them from an emergency patch to fix this? The only thing I can think of is a clear lack of understanding on how to correct the issue without creating other problems. Or they don't have the manpower.

It is most definitely an exploit. They are using a known bug to their advantage, very definition of an exploit.

It's not a bug. Otherwise all PvE gear is bugged then... The issue is that some PVE items have better stat allocation, but have a lower item level than PVP or top tier PVE items.

A bolster adjustment is needed across the board when addressing PvE gear below level 66.

Edited by L-RANDLE

It's not a bug. Otherwise all PvE gear is bugged then... The issue is that some PVE items have better stat allocation, but have a lower item level than PVP or top tier PVE items.

A bolster adjustment is needed across the board when addressing PvE gear below level 66.

How does that logic track? Because bolster is bugged with some items and not others you can't call it a bug? A bug is just that, an error in coding. Obviously there is some error in the code that provides different stat allocation than it should be. That plain and simple is a bug.

Why are people trying to bend definitions so much?

Bolster is still bugged, people are exploiting it for their benefit. There's no judgement attached to any of this. It's simply factual. I totally get why people are doing it: if they didn't do it then it means the people that have no problem taking advantage of bad coding would have the upper hand.

Exploit or not, what's stopping them from an emergency patch to fix this? The only thing I can think of is a clear lack of understanding on how to correct the issue without creating other problems. Or they don't have the manpower.

I agree, I think the problem lies in the comprehension of how the code fully works. Given time hopefully they can find a way to resolve it successfully.

I agree, I think the problem lies in the comprehension of how the code fully works. Given time hopefully they can find a way to resolve it successfully.

No they will never be able to fix the issues if the Bolster system remains as-is. The problem is the design is too complicated, the rules for bolstering are too complicated. You have to test bolster with every mod, every enhancement, and every piece of gear in the game to shake out the problems with the difference-based bolstering mechanic.

This isn't feasible even if you automate the process. Its poor design and software development.

Better? well i spend half my time pounding on people in level 54 purples and they go down nice and easily. It might be good to use but i dont think it is BIS in any sense. Maybe someone has screenshots?

I highly doubt that you've been pounding on anything, more likely you've been getting smashed in. Players in 54 purples get bolstered to near the expertise cap 2018, and have close to 1500 bonus tech/force damage. They've already posted screenshots on the other thread in this PvP section.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=645792

Edited by Yeochins

Better? well i spend half my time pounding on people in level 54 purples and they go down nice and easily. It might be good to use but i dont think it is BIS in any sense. Maybe someone has screenshots?

I don't have ss but it gives an average of 200bonus damage and expertise is at 2014

The primary accepted definition of an exploit is for any player to intentionally utilize a game mechanic in an assumed unintended manner to gain an advantage over another player.

One can safely assume that non max level items were not meant as an equal replacement or upgrade to max level PvP designed items. Just because the game mechanic allows this to be the case, a reasonable minded individual can see the flaw in the design.

By accepted definition, this is an exploit. Terms like "Clever use of game mechanics" is always tossed around but that's just admitting that the mechanic is knowingly not intended.

The real issue comes in that Bioware does not enforce their own Rules of Conduct in where it does state that use of a bug to gain an unfair advantage can lead up to an account deletion. They showed this is the practice during the most recent augment issue. They even went as far as identifying that was a "bug" but did nothing towards anyone that was acting on it. Now, I don't believe they should do anything to the people using this to gain the advantage, however, it is something that should be corrected.

The primary accepted definition of an exploit is for any player to intentionally utilize a game mechanic in an assumed unintended manner to gain an advantage over another player.

One can safely assume that non max level items were not meant as an equal replacement or upgrade to max level PvP designed items. Just because the game mechanic allows this to be the case, a reasonable minded individual can see the flaw in the design.

By accepted definition, this is an exploit. Terms like "Clever use of game mechanics" is always tossed around but that's just admitting that the mechanic is knowingly not intended.

The real issue comes in that Bioware does not enforce their own Rules of Conduct in where it does state that use of a bug to gain an unfair advantage can lead up to an account deletion. They showed this is the practice during the most recent augment issue. They even went as far as identifying that was a "bug" but did nothing towards anyone that was acting on it. Now, I don't believe they should do anything to the people using this to gain the advantage, however, it is something that should be corrected.

Its a decent point, and a valid definition of an exploit.

After all, they were pretty quick to react to the whole collections/crystal vendor thing. What is so different about this?

Its a decent point, and a valid definition of an exploit.

After all, they were pretty quick to react to the whole collections/crystal vendor thing. What is so different about this?

Nothing....

They are just talking to the "metrics" guy and calculating the profits they will have if they inlcude a super L54 herpaderp implant in the new CC pack

It's not an exploit... It's a trade off. Less end less main for more secondary of your choosing.

Your calculated attack ratings are lower in crafted gear. Don't get what the big deal is anyway.

It's not like you need top level mats to make that stuff. And yes I tried partisan, and posted way back when that it still had the edge over purples, besides minor tertiary stat additions...

If good players use keybindings and bad players dont use them, baddies can calls keybinding as exploit, and feel free make tickets to Customer Support about good players who used keybindings for their advantage in pvp :D

Feel free to report BW's Customer Support about players, who used this gear *exploit*, but please, after that put here BW's answer when you get about them :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.