Hate to say it, but I'm never going to be uber

Letsjet

I'm mostly pve'r. Played since !999 EQ. Can Tank, OT, Heal, Top damage charts, w/e in most games, but ... I'll admit it ... I'm a mouse clicker.

I need a little help here. Anyone know of some positive ways to slowly learn to not mouse click if you dont even touchtype? What are some forgiving class/strats? Anyone know of a simple link or simple ideas to help?

I don't need to top all damage, healing, and medals, but I'd like to really contribute as much as possible.

Play with an Vaio 18.3" in bed while wife sleeps.

Have a:

52 Sniper

43 Sin (played Dark till nerf)

37 Merc

36 Inq

24 Van

23 Mara

15x2 Jugg

14 Mara

Any little advice beside thread killers would be really healpful.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm mostly pve'r. Played since !999 EQ. Can Tank, OT, Heal, Top damage charts, w/e in most games, but ... I'll admit it ... I'm a mouse clicker.

I need a little help here. Anyone know of some positive ways to slowly learn to not mouse click if you dont even touchtype? What are some forgiving class/strats? Anyone know of a simple link or simple ideas to help?

I don't need to top all damage, healing, and medals, but I'd like to really contribute as much as possible.

Play with an Vaio 18.3" in bed while wife sleeps.

Have a:

52 Sniper

43 Sin (played Dark till nerf)

37 Merc

36 Inq

24 Van

23 Mara

15x2 Jugg

14 Mara

Any little advice beside thread killers would be really healpful.

Probably the very beginning would be to setup a intuitive and efficient key settings for your left hand.

In my cass, I use three horizontal bars at the bottom center for the numerous skills to use (and yes, I use all of them)

I've also long reached the conclusion that with my anatomy, I'm never going to be able to press something like [shift + 8] or [CTRL+0] with my left hand. Realistically speaking, the keyboard numbers that you can comfortably press down is at most, upto "5". So, I've set up the keys like this:

SHIFT -- 1 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5 -- Z -- X

ALT -- 1 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5 -- Q -- E

1 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5 -- F -- R -- CTRL -- 1 -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5

The top hotbar uses SHIFT key

The mid hotbar uses CTRL key

The bottom hotbar uses just the numbers, but the right half uses the CTRL keys.

You may have also noticed I use Q, E, Z, X, R, F keys as well. These keys are placed around the WSAD movement keys, and they are also very nifty to use.

I'll try to come up with a pic of how it's actual set up.

Explore the keybind options the game gives you in preferences. Focus options also.

Just add 1 or 2 keybinds at a time. Don't try to trick up every ability to a keystroke... yet anyways.

Because of the limitations of in game options, you might reach a point where you have to explore gaming pads or keyboards and a gaming mouse that offer keybind and macro options. But I wouldn't pursue that until if and when, if ever, you want the added keybinds.

Eventually you reach a point where you depend more on the mouse for motion.

It makes your character easier to play in the long run.

It's an expensive fix but you could try using a Razer Naga mouse with 12 buttons on the side.

Thumb got used to it pretty quickly (it comes with some 'training lumps' you can position to get used to where numbers are etc). You'll build up the muscle memory pretty quickly (I keep similar skills in the same place across all my characters) and it's a shed load easier than trying to shift/ctrl +number on the keyboard.

Thanks man. It's like trying to learn the piano while you are getting shot at.

The learning curve for keybinding in pvp is rather steep. However you can train yourself using any of the training dummies using following logics.

1) which functions do you need

2) as soon as you think about which ability you want to cast and your motorics at least moves your fingers in the right direction, you are good to go. It's a pure learning process for your brain/ finger coordination which utlimatively only comes with repeatitions.

Get a mouse with two side buttons and a wheel. This allows you to bind 10 keys to it (side button 1, side button 2, mousewheel up, mousewheel down, and mousewheel press, then all that over again with shift depressed)

10 keys without ever having to lift your fingers from wasd will ease the learning considerably. :)

First of you should try to get your main abillities keybound in a easy and suited spot, then find a okay spot for defensives, depending on what class you play you might wanna put mobillity abillities around WASD, like Operative roll etc.

I never go further than 5, because its hard to reach ctrl + 6 etc, but I dont even use ctrl :D

For example my Sentinel, I use "R" combos for my big hitter, like Sweep, Blade Rush or Merciless Slash, and "F" combos for my "oh ****" cooldowns like Rebuke and Saber Ward.

If you play a stealther, I would say dont have sap on i.e Shift + E and have something that would take you out of stealth on E

It's an expensive fix but you could try using a Razer Naga mouse with 12 buttons on the side.

Thumb got used to it pretty quickly (it comes with some 'training lumps' you can position to get used to where numbers are etc). You'll build up the muscle memory pretty quickly (I keep similar skills in the same place across all my characters) and it's a shed load easier than trying to shift/ctrl +number on the keyboard.

This! Put your interrupts, stuns on the same key/mouse button on every char. That will help alot also.

Good advice in this thread, also if your finding it hard to get used to using keys, goto a training dummy and practise some rotations and if/then situations. What do if left to dps all day? What do if jumped by mDPS? What do if focused by rDPS? Then these key combos will become more muscle memory and faster.

This. It's much easier with Razer Naga (Epic, in my case), as it only requires your thumb.

This! Put your interrupts, stuns on the same key/mouse button on every char. That will help alot also.

I have 22 characters (keybinded) and this, this, this. I probably wouldn't be able to play them all if I didn't do this. My left hand is really stupid so I decided to take away strafes/turns and change to e (forward) and d (backward) and mouse-turn the rest of the time so I got wsrf for attacks, too. I have:

1: Damage boost

2: An attack that makes the opponent to have less accuracy (if the class has)

3: 3 second channeled attack (i.e. force lightning, ravage)

4: Aoe, channeled if there is one (i.e. orbital strike)

5: Alternative damage boost

6: Purge

7: cc

Q: stun break

w: DoT/damage that doesn't affect at the second it's casted (=explosive probe)

r: Important attack: something I should use very often, if not always when off cd (i.e. maul, followthrough)

(if class class taunts) shift+r: taunt

t: instant aoe (basically, something to press if I see multiple people capping at the same time)

(if class has taunts)shift+t: Aoe taunt

y: stealth

a: basic attack (the one that doesn't cost resurces)

s: the usually very costly attack that you end up spamming at lower levels but don't really use that higher i.e. snipe, thrash

f: Important attack, spam every time possible (i.e. ambush)

g: cover/pushback

z: an ability that affects healing (when class has one)

x: escape ability

c: throw huttball

v: finishing attack/very strong attack if class doesn't have a finisher (i.e. assassinate, shoot first)

b: alternative way to build resurces

n: main thing to get resurces up (i.e. cool head)

m: something that reduces threat. (yeah, I pve sometimes and felt like binding this too)

Mouse button 3: stun

mb3 + shift: slow

mb3+ctrl: (aoe) mezz

There are changes (i.e. my scrapper doesn't have an alternative energy management thing so I binded his big heal to b just in case he would have to use it), and I quite often use shift and ctrl if class i.e. has multiple instant aoes (my lethality operative is level 20 and already has t, shift+t and ctrl + t binded, I might get in trouble with that one...), and I also might bind and instant aoe to 4, too, if the class doesn't have a channeled aoe (like knights and warriors). But basically, it's always the same set (though healers are a different tale).

Personally I found my level 20 gunslinger easy to practise with when I first starter keybinding, just binded all her attacks and starter playing. It wasn't to hard when she didn't have too many attacks & I really didn't have to worry about having to move and attack at the same time (it was so hard for me at the start to be able to keep pressing e, press f once and not stop pressing e at any time, thank you my stupid left hand). So I'd almost suggest to roll a new character and get comfortable with keybinds with that character, and when it starts to feel pretty easy, then start binding your other characters. Ranged dps would probably be ideal for this.

But anyway, if me and my stupid left hand were able to make it even though my left hand never learned to play piano (I tried actually, but got too frustrated, easier to play with just the right hand), you can do it too.

Have you thought about a Naga or Logitech mouse? 12 buttons on the side helped me out a lot. I started very simply: I added using the letter "r". It became my "smash" button on my jugg. I also decided to use "t" for "throw huttball", and that is bound to my huttball on all my toons. I went one at a time, and that helped tons. Also, I only use numbers 1-5 because I find it a waste to start reaching across the keyboard for something. Just add one at a time and see what happens. Hope this helps!

I 100% agree. I got my Naga and I am super pleased with it. It's wonderful to be able to have any ability you need right at your fingertips. I would really suggest getting one or something similar. You might not need all the buttons but they are great to have.

To help me remember what button is what I changed my UI so it was laid out the same as the number pad on the Naga.

i use a naga and a nostromo key pad, i programmed the joystick on the keypad for shift/ctrl/alt modifiers so i can use any skill i have with just a slight movement of my thumbs.

Another thing you might try is to start with a fresh character so you have less buttons to press.

Work on your situational awareness and you will become a better team player and pvper. See my sig.

Work on your situational awareness and you will realize this is a thread about keybinds. See post text.

OP - can't find it at the moment, but along with the advice given here regarding mousebinds, there's a program out there that some WoW player made a while back to teach people how to keybind. Really handy little thing, starts out small and trains you to use more and more binds as you go on. Pretty sure the site it's on is censored (work internet lol) but you should be able to find it off google.

Keybinding feels alien and weird if you're been a clicker, there's no denying that. But once you get used to it, your gameplay gets leaps better and your reaction time in pvp & pve goes through the roof. You just gotta start small and work up to more.

Work on your sniper first, since movement will be minimal. Start off by just binding some of your abilities and keep adding 2-3 every week (or once you're comfortable) until they're all bound. Once you've got it all setup, then move on to more mobile classes as they will be the ones where you will see the biggest difference with binding rather than clicking.

I don't remember if you mentioned it, but you need to be mouse turning regardless of keybinds, so start doing that now. In fact, either unbind a and d or switch them to strafe. You a) get more keys to bind and b) turn faster and free up more fingers for use.

Everything you need to move from mouse clicker to serious contender is here. With videos.

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

I never use shift or meta keys. Some people prefer it, my fingers are too clumsy.

I have a naga mouse, and use the side buttons for numbers five through zero.

The rest of my regular attacks and heals are on the keys surrounding ASD.

I trained myself to use the Keybind setup by running PVE missions for 5-10 levels until it became second nature.

Started out clicking not going to lie but about a month into the game my bud told me to get a naga and after about two weeks I cannot believe I played the game the way I used to.

Also I wish more people would do what you do, admitting you need some work...they should sticky this post.

As others have said the naga is awesome and makes key binding simple to learn. It's all muscle memory, you have to train your fingers to hit X button when you think X. It really just takes time and practice. With just a little dedication by week 3 you will be asking yourself how you played any other way.