Dye Packs and why random colors is wrong

First of, I'm a subscriber and I have been since day one. That's not to weight my opinion, but because it will be relevant to what I'm about to say. Please stop the cartel packs where items are random. Dyes in particular. If I want to use my cartel coins to buy the black on black, white on white, or any other currently deemed purple dye kit then please let me. Don't make me waste them on a random chance buying a pack. Put them on the market individually and let me pay you for them PLEASE.

I'm not saying get rid of the random cartel packs as I'm sure there are folks out there who enjoy gambling. The dyes however...it's wrong to force me to spend cartel coins on a chance I might actually get to make my character have the colors I want when I'm happy to give them to you for what I actually want. Right now I feel ripped off because I spent 600 coins on three packs and didn't get anything I was looking for.

I love ya, Bioware. Please make ALL the dye combos purchasable individually on the Cartel Market.

Thanks,

Signed. But I think no matter how much we beg Bioware to stop with the gambling they just won't listen. People of course are buying the random crap, Bioware makes money, it's a win for then. I'm a subscriber and love the game, but I'm pretty sure Bioware don't really care that the modding system is awful and expensive, the dye system is also awful not only because of the gambling but you can't even dye all parts of the armor.

I would pay even 500, 600 CC to get the dye I want. but why do that when people are expending 2000,3000 or even more.

Because the colors available that way suck :p
For now, but I still collected 50.000 credits from the GTN with my lvl 19 marauder when I logged on today. People want to suck. Uh, colors that suck. Err... you know what I mean. :D Besides, the colors we have now are just the first batch. Surely they'll add more colors down the road for crafters. :)

I wont give them a dime for anything that is random anymore, I stopped with Packs because of Jawagrams, and I will not gamble on what colors I will get in a dye pack.... One dye pack with all the colors, for 1kCC would be fair compared to the way it is now.

Will it stop, no.... too many people are suckers and all you have to do is look at the GTN and see how many are so foolish with their money.

I agree with you and hope it does change....

But then how will they get people to gamble for them?

I decided to test out the dye packs. Bought 10 packs. I got 1 rare out of ten packs, none of the colors where black...and if memory serves the rare was red/orange (believe that was it)...it was not the black/black, white/white, or Black/white. :p

Guessing im one of the few lucky buggers.

Bought 5 dye packs, got 1 black/white and 1 black/black.

Now im swimming in milions.

Random dyes would be acceptible if you could bind them to your legacy just like gear and gems.

That way you can buy the colors with credits and invest a small amount of CC to get them for all your characters.

PS i personally found that white/red is the best color combo around, especially in combination with eradicator set when you keep the boots, belt and gloves black.

Guessing im one of the few lucky buggers.

Bought 5 dye packs, got 1 black/white and 1 black/black.

Now im swimming in milions.

Random dyes would be acceptible if you could bind them to your legacy just like gear and gems.

That way you can buy the colors with credits and invest a small amount of CC to get them for all your characters.

PS i personally found that white/red is the best color combo around, especially in combination with eradicator set when you keep the boots, belt and gloves black.

No, dyes are not acceptable as random packs in any way, and certainly not as common colours as white and black have become rare items whereas, if there are any "rare" colours have become common in the game.

Edited by Kaerwolf

For me, the cartel market and random packs are far less annoying since I buy almost everything with credits off the GTN.

So what is the frustration here - what problem do you want solved?

You currently can buy something like a cartel pack, cathar unlock or dye pack and sell it on the GTN and use the credits to buy what you want including the specific dye you want.

So many people would like to avoid the above hassle and buy a super rare item for 800-1500 CC? Is that most people's objections?

Or is it that obviously desirable colors like black/black are super rare? I.e., if black/black were priced like a super rare (say 1000cc) I think that would cause some complaints and sticker shock.

My main has been wearing the same outfit for a long time and I'm tired of looking at it. I don't care for most of the armor in the game, so it's sort of difficult to create outfits I don't get bored with. This creates the opportunity to "progress" my character through the acquisition of good looking sets of gear for the aesthetic value itself, and that's something I end up doing in any game with appearance customization options.

Well I've finally assembled a set I wouldn't mind seeing for months on end. In order to switch over to it, I need one black/black dye. Just one. But the price on my server is actually increasing. I've never had more than 2.5m in credits; the price is now up around 5m. Is it going to go even higher as fewer people waste their money on these random dye packs over time?

This doesn't make me any more likely to start gambling. It just makes gear-appearance progression impossible, which reduces the content paths available to me in the game, decreasing the longevity of its play value.

I would greatly appreciate one or more of the following:

ability to buy individual dyes from the cartel market

greatly increased frequency of rare dye drops in cartel packs

Edited by Laiov

Even though I've bought countless cartel/contraband packs, the drop rate for rares in the dye packs was so disappointing I never purchased another one after they were available on the GTN.

I'd be more than happy to spend cartel coins on dye modules if I could choose the color in the market or if it was available as an unlock in collections.

It makes sense to control rarity of items in the game with "gamble" packs.

However, I do not see why dye options should have rarity at all. I think it's a negative thing, and more likely to bring frustration and annoyance to the customer base than benefit the game in the long term.

It makes sense to control rarity of items in the game with "gamble" packs.

However, I do not see why dye options should have rarity at all. I think it's a negative thing, and more likely to bring frustration and annoyance to the customer base than benefit the game in the long term.

I agree...Rare Armor, toys, weapons, make sense and no one is saying BW should not make money. the problem here, is they took, what could have been a nice thing for the community, and decided it was another way to make more profits.

the problem I see, is they are NOT thinking "long term".... that worries me.

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.