User Interface improvements: What's your wishlist?

Wait, does this mean some dev somewhere might actually be reading feedback?

Oooh ok then:

Chat channel commands are broken. /channellist is clearly a command (it returns "Current Channel list:") but will not list your channels. Other custom chat channel commands are similarly broken.

Inventory/Bank "sort by" - I was so excited to see devs providing something here... but wow it is worse than useless. Basically all you can do is shuffle your items in completely useless ways, often destroying any manual organization done. What WOULD be useful? SEARCH. Guildmate needs alusteel. Do I have any alusteel? Who knows, lets trying mousing over every nondescript piece of metal until I either find it or give up and say I don't THINK I have any.... So much easier to type the first couple letters and have it highlighted, no? Or if you wanted it to be REALLY good, type letters, get a listing of all the places you have it (10 in inventory, 99 in bank, 15 in guild bank)

GTN - WHY OH WHY can't you drag an item onto the freetext box of the "buy" dialog and have it type the name for me? Or even better, if you drag an item into the "sell" box, have the "buy" window show the current sales for that item? I can only imagine how much annoying manual typing this would save as the majority use case when selling an item is 1. go to the buy tab and see what that item is currently selling for 2. switch to sell tab and make an offer.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Better Flexibility with Op Frames to be able to have groups horizantal as opposed to verticle only.

-Raid Frames that will darken when another player is out of line of sight. Very annoying on maps like huttball and cival war middle. When players are above you or below you can your sitting there targeting them but cant heal them please improve this.

-Improve Naga Mouse support right now holding down the right click button causes the mouse cursor to click through occationally which will cause the camera to spin on you.

-Some sort of pulse cooldown where when something comes off cd the icon can flash in the middle of the screen.

-Something to the Frames that lets you see purge able debuff's currently its annoying to get a debuff or a dot and just spam purge hoping to be able to purge it maybe add a green lining around the icon for purgeable and a red lining to unpurgeable.

-A Proc Indicator when you get a proc from a spell can we get something noticable that we can modify to the procs we want but maybe something that shows up around your character on the middle of the screen.

Edited by Simplygarces

The UI would really benefit from enabling the resizing and movement of all major windows. And get rid of the limitation on the number of windows that can be open at once. In other words, I'd like to be able to browse the GTN, crew skills menu, inventory, and character sheet simultaneously. I also want to be able to resize these windows so that they'll all fit on the screen at once. Having to close one window to open another is reminiscent of computing at 800x600 back in 1995.

Oh, and keybind profiles that can be loaded like the interface profiles. That would be good too.

And some kind of proc / cooldown HUD optioning would be nice. I'd like to know that I've just procced something important without looking at the sea of buffs on my buff bar. Think of the "Power Auras" addon from WoW.

And, if at all possible, try to reduce the input lag and false casts.

I really wish that SWTOR would add visible mission rewards! You know, like the ability to see what your experience gains, credits, and items will be from completing a mission!

I really hope this happens with Game Update 2.1.1 too! :rak_09:

-eric

Wow...about time :) I've often wanted this, but never thought to suggest it :)

A lot of great suggestions. I'll reiterate a few faves and add mine:

1. Resize/move player/target/ops buffs/debuffs

2. Export/import keybinds

3. Power Auras-like functionality for procs

4. Ctrl click to fill search field on GTN

5. Batch posting and purchasing on GTN

6. Sortable price per unit column on GTN

7. Better tooltips: vendor price per unit and price per current stack

8. Ability to set alpha of UI elements by state: In combat (IC), Out of combat (OOC)

9. Allow color change of UI. Personally, I find the color occasionally eyestraining and would like to set it to a more muted tone.

I personally think 1 and 3 are pretty important because, sadly, we end up spending too much time watching cooldowns instead of cool animations while fighting. Pretty sure the animators would agree. :)

Added bold for emphasis on those I consider of particular importance.

Edited by eponymousbosch

The UI would really benefit from enabling the resizing and movement of all major windows. And get rid of the limitation on the number of windows that can be open at once. In other words, I'd like to be able to browse the GTN, crew skills menu, inventory, and character sheet simultaneously. I also want to be able to resize these windows so that they'll all fit on the screen at once. Having to close one window to open another is reminiscent of computing at 800x600 back in 1995..

The multiple window thing already exists, but it's not obvious. Under the interface editor "enable moveable secondary window" both makes them moveable and allows many windows to be opened at once.

Love this post.

Not necessarily cuz that is a huge feature I desire...but it's a fun way to communicate upcoming features with the community! Keep it up!

I asked for this so long ago I'd forgotten about it. It was one of the first things I noticed coming from WoW. In that game, you always knew what you were questing for. It was kind of a subconscious incentive.

One big thing we are missing (from my perspective). Target of Focus Target and Cast bar of Target of Focus Target. There are several fights where we may not be looking at the boss (kill adds or healer) and there are abilities that may need to be known that they are going off and who they are targeting (I am looking at you Bonethrasher in KP)

The multiple window thing already exists, but it's not obvious. Under the interface editor "enable moveable secondary window" both makes them moveable and allows many windows to be opened at once.

Ah! Awesome. Thank you.

Pretty please with sugar on top:

Buffs and debuffs - PLEASE give me a way to see my debuffs on my target. This was always a pain, but after a rather memorable hm fp run on my balance sage with another balance sage, a shadow tank, and a healing sage who was dps'ing on occasion...omg, please give me a way to tell which Weaken Mind is mine.

Some minor stuff:

An option to seperate my procs from my regular buffs. I like being able to see them all, but I need to see those procs at a glance.

Option to guild invite people from the chat interface without having to retype the name.

Whisper and invite from guild list.

Import keybinds from character to character.

Changing the color of the UI would be nice, I do like the pretties. Along with that, a snap-to grid option in the interface editor.

GTN - shift click to input item name to search, please?

GTN - sort by unit price

Edited by iamthehoyden

Wow...about time :) I've often wanted this, but never thought to suggest it :)

I honestly didn't even think this was worth suggesting.

Until I spent 5 seconds thinking about it, and realized how much I will be happy to have it.

Sometimes, it is the little things that make you happy ^.^

[quote=SW_display_name;6344262

Buffs and debuffs

• Option to prioritize displaying YOUR buffs / debuffs first, before others
  • Option to enlarge YOUR buffs / debuffs relative to others
  • Option to filter out buffs / debuffs YOU did not apply

Operations frame:

• Allow more than 4 buffs to be displayed
  • Allow filtering-out of long-duration or otherwise useless-to-see buffs (eg, Force Valor)

Skill Tree

• Ability to save pre-set Skill Tree layouts (using Field Respec at later levels to switch roles for FPs/Ops/WZs involves a lot of tedious OMG-I-know-this-by-heart clicking to reconstruct familiar builds) **dual spec**

I think all of these are very important for the game. Especially the buffs/debuffs improvements you listed. There are some specs in this game that play heavily off procs and the proc animation isn't always easy to notice. This is especially true in group combat where the abilities of other characters can easily cover-up your procs.

To take this a step further I'd love to see Bioware implement a power auras for the default UI. Optional of course, but similar to the default power auras added into the WoW UI. It's incredibly handy for letting you know you've reached a certain stack size or procced an ability/talent.

For those unfamiliar with power auras or the just never played WoW:

When an ability or talent procs a special notification pops up on screen around your character.

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2010/august/spelloverlayeffects.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2010/09/ui-priest-wings.jpg

These images give a good example of what those procs look like and where they appear on screen. Blizzard also implemented a special notification on your action bar. In the picture below you can see both the power aura around the character and the corresponding ability on his action bars is lit up.

http://repgrind.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/wowscrnshot_101210_221438.jpg

The auras don't need to be as fancy, just something hard to miss to notify players they have their proc or have reached a certain stack of a buff (I.E 3 breaching shadows for an infil shadow). This, imo, would be a huge boon for players. Less time staring at your buff bar and more time watching what is going on around your character.

Edited by Treeba

Buffs and debuffs - PLEASE give me a way to see my debuffs on my target. This was always a pain, but after a rather memorable hm fp run on my balance sage with another balance sage, a shadow tank, and a healing sage who was dps'ing on occasion...omg, please give me a way to tell which Weaken Mind is mine.

Some minor stuff:

An option to seperate my procs from my regular buffs. I like being able to see them all, but I need to see those procs at a glance.

Option to invite people from the chat interface without having to retype the name.

Changing the color of the UI would be nice, I do like the pretties. Along with that, a snap-to grid option in the interface editor.

GTN - sort by unit price

They should seriously just hire you - there's nothing on your list I wouldn't like.

They should seriously just hire you - there's nothing on your list I wouldn't like.

Hey, I'm about 15 min from the studios, wouldn't even have to move, lol. There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. Some would be more easily accomplishable than others, but there are a lot of good ones.

Some minor stuff:

Option to guild invite people from the chat interface without having to retype the name.

GTN - sort by unit price

I second TUXs response.

ERIC! Hire this person! :-D Or, at least, give her a Taun Faun and place a copy of the recommendations on the screens of each developer! :-D

I second TUXs response.

ERIC! Hire this person! :-D Or, at least, give her a Taun Faun and place a copy of the recommendations on the screens of each developer! :-D

They already gave me a taun faun at the cantina tour down here. It's super cute :) I'm curious to see what they have coming up for the UI.

I'd like autocomplete for mail (like we have with guild and friends) for any character in your legacy.

Sometimes I have to open the legacy window to make sure I'm spelling a name right before mailing to an alt.

Not sure if this qualifies as a UI improvement, but I think with the addtion of the Makeb and GSI dailies, I would want to see the Mission List expanded beyond 25.

I know there are performance concerns. Perhaps put a limit on the number of currently trackable missions (15 or so) but allow like 40 or so in the list.

My own meme? I like it :)

I couldn't help but have a little fun in the thread, just to spare any confusion... visible mission rewards are coming in Game Update 2.1.1.

-eric

Cool.

Now tell us the truth: did you see this in Neverwinter and thought "Hey, that's cool we want this!" or was this in the planning before? ;)

Most of what I would like to see has been mentioned, but I'll just put a big "ME TOO", with regard to debuffs, and making the cleansable ones more readily apparent. A cleansible debuff needs to be able to stand out from every single other buff/debuff on a character.

Also, dual-speccing needs to be properly in the game. Sure, i can do a free respec from dps to healz or tank to dps, or what have you. But my action bars, and possibly my entire UI layout can often need adjustment as well. By the time I re-work my skills, adjust my bars/keybinds, enlarge/shirnk UI elements, swap my gear, etc., etc., etc., it can really take a long time. What we need, and the UI is certainly a big part of supporting this, is a pretty simple swapping button that will remember EVERYTHING for 2 specs, and in one magic click, swap between them.

Not sure if it's been said yet, but personally, I'd love to be able to change the color of the UI. Give us the color control we get with text and also how transparent the frames could be and I'd be happy. Other than that, for an ingame UI, I think it's one of the better ones out there.

I'd love some attention to the ability highlighting. So if you proc something, the linked ability gets highlighted. And to add on it, if you have a DoT/HoT on a target you can see a time left just by looking at your ability bars.

In short, avoiding staring at your/targets buffs/debuffs and focus more on seeing what is going on!

I made a topic about some time ago in the suggestions forum:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=628321

At work but love this thread!! A couple items that have been knawing at me have been mentioned already...

I would like to see the 'Interface Editor' and 'Lock' toggles moved from their position on the quickbar. Despite their small size they seem remarkably easy to click on in the heat of the moment.

(snip)

Also, if they could find some way to prevent the companion icon from moving to the far left of the screen every time I join a group that causes the companion to be dismissed, then I'd be happy. I have a quickbar on the far left of the screen. Every time I join a group which is a full group and the companion gets dismissed, the companion icon bar moves over to the far left of the screen underneath my quickbar. I have to re-adjust my interface afterwards to move the companion bar back......every time. It's annoying as hell, lol.

Oh my god, yes.

And a transparency slider for tooltips.

I want the tooltips NOT so transparent more than anything else changed in the UI right now. It is much more difficult to read in the new and improved format than before.