Who all Cancelled subscription after 2.1

comebui

Folks,

Wanted to do an analysis if it is still worth keeping subscription. I am one of the oldest one like many of you.

I do love this game, but I rarely do FP, WZ or OP. So with 2.1 all about the Cash shop, I want to see how many decided to cancel sub. Only way we can make ourselves heard is by clicking that cancel button. It could be for better or worse.

I need some impartial comments from the gamers who actually love the game and it's content to decide.

The forum doesn't have a poll option so I will do it the hard way . Go through each of the post and count with my fingers :o

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks,

Wanted to do an analysis if it is still worth keeping subscription. I am one of the oldest one like many of you.

I do love this game, but I rarely do FP, WZ or OP. So with 2.1 all about the Cash shop, I want to see how many decided to cancel sub. Only way we can make ourselves heard is by clicking that cancel button. It could be for better or worse.

I need some impartial comments from the gamers who actually love the game and it's content to decide.

The forum doesn't have a poll option so I will do it the hard way . Go through each of the post and count with my fingers :o

2.0 was April 14th

2.2 will be June 11th

That's in keeping with what BW promise in regards to the content patch cycle of 6-8 weeks.

Patch 2.1 wasn't to my liking but the content cycle is intact. I won't be unsubscribing due to 2.1

However if you rarely do WZ's, FP's or OPs then maybe you should unsub for a while and see what the summer's content brings before deciding to come back or not. Upto you.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Folks,

Im sick and tired of people whining about the "lack of content" in the 2.1 Patch.

It was not part of the regular content updates. It was an extra.

You are given something extra and you complain.

Yes, you have to pay for it, but you dont have to use it either.

There is a lot I don't like about 2.1 but I still enjoy playing the game. I'm staying sub. When I stop having fun I'll unsub.

But I'm boycotting CM Dyes because they only come in random packets and kiosk because I'm not going to spend CC to change my look. If enough people boycott CM dyes both directly and indirectly they will change them.

I haven't yet. I'm waiting to see if the trend of putting content that should have been part of an expansion purchase in as a Cartel Market item.

Every MMO out there has lied to its players. Some died because of it, others limped on for years, the 600 lb gorilla still has 8 million users...

The nasty trend I'm seeing now is with cash shops getting all of the attention while in game takes a beating. Even though CM updates aren't part of the "normal" updates, they are still taking up time and effort that could be better used for other things.

Imagine if instead of alternating between CM and content updates every 4 weeks, we saw content updates on a 4 week cycle. Or maybe a 4 week alternating cycle between PvE and PvP?

Cash markets as a business model look great for companies, but at what cost? If you alienate fans by putting an immense emphasis on the cash market while making the game content undesirable (face it, the current raid gear looks are ugly and boring...purposefully in my opinion to sell more Cartel Adaptive armor) you start to see the slow trickle of people looking for something else. They no longer spend money of a subscription, nor do they buy from the cash shop.

Cash shops work only when players do not feel pressured because of their existence. Moderate additions to a cash shop on a paced basis work much better than large and rapid additions as it allows people time to make their purchases without feeling the undue pressure of trying to "keep up". People will cease to spend money if they feel the endeavor is out of reach

There are, what, six gambling packs available now? And the CM hasn't been around that long. The collections list is absurdly huge and will only get larger. Meanwhile, the rest of the game feels neglected. Stupid bugs are getting through and aren't getting hot-fixed, such as the fact that Cybertechs can't RE the QT series of droid parts because it requires Advanced Cybertech and Advanced Armormech. Or the fact that many Synthweave drops can't be RE'd at all. Or the fact that you can fire your GCD without having the ability go off. The list goes on and on.

So while I've not yet unsubscribed, I am seeing the writing on the wall and it won't take too much more for me to wash my hands of the whole thing.

I haven't yet. I'm waiting to see if the trend of putting content that should have been part of an expansion purchase in as a Cartel Market item.

Im going to go ahead and assume you mean the cathar here... You do realise that if they included the cathar in the expansion they would just have charged more for the expansion...

This way you get access to the cathar with or without the expansion.

Im going to go ahead and assume you mean the cathar here... You do realise that if they included the cathar in the expansion they would just have charged more for the expansion...

This way you get access to the cathar with or without the expansion.

Cathar as a new race chosen at character creation should have been in the expansion. Race change I have no problem with being a cash option like most other games.

That one race would not have made the expansion any more expensive.

2.1 is by far the worst update SWTOR has ever had, but no I won't quit over it. If I quit SWTOR, it will be for a multitude of issues that haven't been corrected since launch, not because of a lackluster patch.

As a pure pvp sub, it is getting harder and harder to justify a sub. They have ignored us for almost a year. We haven't seen any new content since last summer, hell we are still in pre-season from last summer. ROTHC brought absolutely nothing to the table for me minus afew hours of lvling, and a completely broken bolster system that has decimated PVP balance.

Imagine if instead of alternating between CM and content updates every 4 weeks, we saw content updates on a 4 week cycle. Or maybe a 4 week alternating cycle between PvE and PvP?

It is much easier to design fluff than content. This is why we get more cartel updates than content updates. And with programming it is not always best to just double a development team and expect a linear increase in output.

I don't know of any MMO that releases actual content on 4 week intervals (Note I don't pay attention to many games - especially if I don't play, so they could be out there).

2.0 was April 14th

2.2 will be June 11th

That's in keeping with what BW promise in regards to the content patch cycle of 6-8 weeks.

Patch 2.1 wasn't to my liking but the content cycle is intact. I won't be unsubscribing due to 2.1

However if you rarely do WZ's, FP's or OPs then maybe you should unsub for a while and see what the summer's content brings before deciding to come back or not. Upto you.

I don't think it matters, people who've been playing this game for a while have been looking for an excuse to keep subbing as the game is getting incredibly stale even with the expansion (which was short lived and actually made the game more limited in terms of worthwhile things to do at end level). I think the cartel market focus is the final nail in the coffin, the next patch would have to do something impressive for me to resub... and not just some new difficulty mode for a current raid that only 5% of the server will attempt.

CM gets more updates because majority of player base supports it and therefore offers best return on investment. Whether you buy directly from the CM or indirectly by buying it off GTN you are supporting gambling packets.

Im sick and tired of people whining about the "lack of content" in the 2.1 Patch.

It was not part of the regular content updates. It was an extra.

You are given something extra and you complain.

Yes, you have to pay for it, but you dont have to use it either.

The point is that subscribers weren't given anything. They've added more **** to the Cartel Market since FTP than they've added to the game. They've also added more content that we had to pay to unlock (RoTHC) than was given as a free update since FTP.

THAT'S the point. And if you, personally, are sick and tired of hearing it, I can only imagine what Bioware is thinking as they're watching a second load of subscribers tell them their game isn't worth $15/month let alone the extra pennies they're trying to squeeze out of us like a Snidely Whiplash wanna-be.

I'd love to listen to some of their decision making:

"I love this idea for a dye system, make it happen. The customers really won't like it, but it doesn't matter."

I removed my billing information. If my $15/month isn't good enough for them, they don't have to have it. With only 500k subs left, it's not going to take too many to break them; it's mind-boggling that they just don't care and won't budge on their customer-hate philosophy.

Edited by Primarch_PWnD

I removed my billing information. If my $15/month isn't good enough for them, they don't have to have it. With only 500k subs left, it's not going to take too many to break them; it's mind-boggling that they just don't care and won't budge on their customer-hate philosophy.

When a company starts gouging it's consumer base you know they aren't doing well financially, despite what they said in the quarterly.

I feel this game is still very much on a slippery slope and won't last long, maybe a year or two max.

I understand everyones frustration and agree with most of the complaints. I think it will take another large sub loss for BW to get the point once again and dump the cartel market for the majority of it's content releases. However, I gave up on trying to teach MMO companies any lessons a long time ago. I play the games I enjoy and unsub once I'm bored or frustrated with the direction the games taking when I'm ready. Not when others tell Me I should. Maybe if I get into ESO Beta I will unsub but for now I'm not ready just yet.

Unsubscribe? Heh, I re-subscribed thanks to the 2.1 patch. I did love the game at launch, but got bored because it lacked the MMO-feeling, it was too hard to find groups for Flashpoints, there were too many bugs and so on. I've been away for months, but when I heard they were adding the cathar as playable (and that the game's doing great after the F2P launch), I ended up testing the game a few days, then activated my subscription again. It was a decent game at launch, but they've improved it a lot in tons of small ways. I couldn't be happier. :)

I gave up on trying to teach MMO companies any lessons a long time ago.
No offense, but this always make me smile. What you are saying is basically that you, a lone amateur, are trying to teach a bunch of experts how to do their job. It won't work. It doesn't matter how many great points you might have how you personally want the game. There are tons of players out there, and every single one of them want something different. Pleasing everyone is simply not possible. The people who made the game in the first place are the only ones who can make the changes, and they make the changes based on what's best for the majority. If you don't like it, that's too bad. Edited by RepublicChicken

Im going to go ahead and assume you mean the cathar here... You do realise that if they included the cathar in the expansion they would just have charged more for the expansion.

Honestly, from the standpoint of user perception, it probably would have been better for them to include Cathar in the expansion and just charge $5 more. People tend to see more value when things are packaged together, even if individually the items are the same price.

But what's done is done. I don't really like the idea of releasing a bunch of CM stuff and calling it an update, but that's the freemium model. As long as they mix in real content updates (I.e. 2.2) on a regular basis, I can put up with the CM stuff.

Unsubscribe? Heh, I re-subscribed thanks to the 2.1 patch. I did love the game at launch, but got bored because it lacked the MMO-feeling, it was too hard to find groups for Flashpoints, there were too many bugs and so on. I've been away for months, but when I heard they were adding the cathar as playable (and that the game's doing great after the F2P launch), I ended up testing the game a few days, then activated my subscription again. It was a decent game at launch, but they've improved it a lot in tons of small ways. I couldn't be happier. :)

No offense, but this always make me smile. What you are saying is basically that you, a lone amateur, are trying to teach a bunch of experts how to do their job. It won't work. It doesn't matter how many great points you might have how you personally want the game. There are tons of players out there, and every single one of them want something different. Pleasing everyone is simply not possible. The people who made the game in the first place are the only ones who can make the changes, and they make the changes based on what's best for the majority. If you don't like it, that's too bad.

None taken. That is the basics of what I'm saying.

i came back a couple months ago after i cancelled my wow sub, i did just resub with wow so will see the servers i play on wow are always full all heavy pop and queue times at night so if this game gets to the point it starts to bore me i'll just step back unsub and come back when they get er done

Cathar as a new race chosen at character creation should have been in the expansion. Race change I have no problem with being a cash option like most other games.

That one race would not have made the expansion any more expensive.

Umm... yes it would? They would have increased the price since there would be more stuff in the expansion.

This was a 10$ expansion. Not a 50$ expansion... Adding the race to the expansion would have increased the value of the expansion thus increasing the price.

You would still have paid to use the cathar race one way or the other. At least this way you only have to pay if you want to use it.

The point is that subscribers weren't given anything. They've added more **** to the Cartel Market since FTP than they've added to the game. They've also added more content that we had to pay to unlock (RoTHC) than was given as a free update since FTP.

THAT'S the point. And if you, personally, are sick and tired of hearing it, I can only imagine what Bioware is thinking as they're watching a second load of subscribers tell them their game isn't worth $15/month let alone the extra pennies they're trying to squeeze out of us like a Snidely Whiplash wanna-be.

I'd love to listen to some of their decision making:

"I love this idea for a dye system, make it happen. The customers really won't like it, but it doesn't matter."

You do realise that they make more money off the CM than they do off subs? So you unsubbing (or indeed everyone unsubbing) wont make much of a difference.

And my point was that there wasnt even supposed to be an update when 2.1 came out according to their schedule, so patch 2.1 was EXTRA. They put a bunch of stuff in the game that people have been asking for for a loooong time (and plenty of us have stated that we'd even pay for it).

I know of no other MMO that gives you new races without you having to pay for them (either with microtransactions or by buying an expansion). Sure, some of the features in the appearance editor could have been free of charge, but if you are a sub, those 500 you are handed each month should cover that nicely unless you habitually change your hair on all your toons each week.

Also, your point about "They've also added more content that we had to pay to unlock (RoTHC) than was given as a free update since FTP" is one of the dumbest things ive heard in this whole discussion. Are you trying to tell us that we were supposed to get the expansion for free just because we sub? Are you telling me that you dont pay for DLC and expansions in other games?

You sub to get access to all the stuff that is restricted to F2P players. If you are not satisfied with that, then feel free to unsub and see if you still dont think those 15$ a month were worth it.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I know of no other MMO that gives you new races without you having to pay for them (either with microtransactions or by buying an expansion).

Perhaps but the other MMOs races are not just reskinned version, they also add :

1) starter zones

2) lore appropriate quests

3) specific animations for emotes, combat, spells, movement

4) different body structures

5) and more...

Perhaps but the other MMOs races are not just reskinned version, they also add :

1) starter zones

2) lore appropriate quests

3) specific animations for emotes, combat, spells, movement

4) different body structures

5) and more...

1) Except the starter zones are class specific not race specific.

2) NPC's will acknowledge if you are a human or alien race

3) They all use the same wire model for animations.

4) Body types 1-4 exist in game.

5) K