What class is king of the tanks?

NvrShoutNvr

Having a pretty rough time deciding what class I'm going to use as my PvP tank. By tanking, I mean guarding my healer and pissing everyone else off because I can never die.

I have a level 55 Jugg that I swap between Vengeance and Rage, but I'd really love to give tanking in PvP a try. On the other hand, I have an up and coming Powertech thats just OP in Huttball (Grappling Hook FTW!)

So what do you guys think? Make my Powertech my PvP tank, or take all the comms I've gotten from my PT and invest them into Jugg tank gear? Let me know what you guys think.

I play a Guardian Tank and it's the class I enjoy the most of all I have played so far. Juggs/Guardians are by far the best class to support healers (Guardian Leap/Intecede + countless stuns to buy healers some time!) and your incredible defensive cooldowns are amongst the best in the game. The top of the tanking tree was improved quite a bit with 2.0, as well, so playing tank is worth it right now and I think Guards/Juggs have never been in a better state as far as tanking goes!

I do not have a PT Tank tough, so I cannot comment on that. It was pretty hyped before 2.0 hit the servers but nowadays you rarely see any PTs at all..at least on my server. I think, they have good supporting abilities and a well played PT Tank is very hard to take down, you'll get the same Protetction at the end of a WZ but as stated above, Juggs are superior in helping the healer out imo.

I'd say: try both xP I can only recommend playing a Jugg Tank, but I think a well played PT Tank can be just as good. It all depends on who's behind the screen :D

jugg>sin>healing sorc>merc>op>pyro pt>sniper>madness sorc>everything else>tank pt

Lol what?

PT tanks are really good in the main fight now. Not sure they are better than juggs just yet but above sin tanks I feel. If you enjoy pissing everyone off then oil slick will be your new favorite ability. Along will pull with root, leap, aoe stun and new and improved kolto overload they are a pain in the butt.

Just pick the one you have more fun with because they are both viable.

I haven't played my main (juggernaut) in a long time but I played against a good jugg recently who made me smile to remember what f'ing beasts us juggs are. Juggernaut is ALLL l2p. When you're in with a jugg who knows how to tank, your in for some hell.

That said, a SIN darkness/madness hybrid, is it's own kind of bastard.

Edited by Comfterbilly

On my server, Guardian/Jugg tanks are the most common. There's only 1 Powertech who knows what the hell they're doing, and Assassin tanks are a joke in PvP. The only sin tanks you see are some BS tank spec/DPS geared hybrid. Edited by NvrShoutNvr

Lol what?

PT tanks are really good in the main fight now. Not sure they are better than juggs just yet but above sin tanks I feel. If you enjoy pissing everyone off then oil slick will be your new favorite ability. Along will pull with root, leap, aoe stun and new and improved kolto overload they are a pain in the butt.

Just pick the one you have more fun with because they are both viable.

he obviously has no clue about what happened in 2.0

edit, or pre for that matter lol

it was more of a troll post, but the point is pt tanks are still not on a jugg's level, especially in rateds. sins are about equal mainfight and better in pretty much anything else. OP go with the jugg

Having a pretty rough time deciding what class I'm going to use as my PvP tank. By tanking, I mean guarding my healer and pissing everyone else off because I can never die.

I have a level 55 Jugg that I swap between Vengeance and Rage, but I'd really love to give tanking in PvP a try. On the other hand, I have an up and coming Powertech thats just OP in Huttball (Grappling Hook FTW!)

So what do you guys think? Make my Powertech my PvP tank, or take all the comms I've gotten from my PT and invest them into Jugg tank gear? Let me know what you guys think.

I feel in the same boat ATM i love the play style of the PT/VG but with all the constant threads about PT/VG DPS trees being nerfed and unplayable. its kinda hard to gage their situation in tanking, what few i do find seem pretty negative. So i am also interested in knowing how PT/VG are doing solely from a tanking point of view i am currently leveling a Juggernaut up but to me it feels really generic i love how unique PT & VG tanks are but i don't wanna level it up if guardians really are that much better so any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

TLDR:

Solely from a tanking point of view (PVP and PVE) are VG & PT really that bad and should i stick to my juggernaut even though i prefer the VG/PT play style. thanks for any responses.

Edited by Jedirecoil

Assassins are the most _flexible_ . You'll be the best node guard in the game, but also a capable healer-guard and off-dps. You're great in huttball. You also get to play all the stealther-harassment games that the operatives do.

Juggs are less flexible. Probably the best pocket-tank class. Excellent at huttball and healer-guarding, along with very good cooldowns. But no stealth takes away a dimension of complexity. A very good assassin tank can pull things off that a juggernaut can't. If you want to be a pocket-tank, play jugg. If you want to play many different roles, with a good amount of giggling while node-guarding, play an assassin.

Why do I play a jugg, you ask? Because our animations look better. ;-)

Edited by Khalhazar

TLDR:

Solely from a tanking point of view (PVP and PVE) are VG & PT really that bad and should i stick to my juggernaut even though i prefer the VG/PT play style. thanks for any responses.

Don't really agree with that at all. Pull for one tends to be more useful than push, with one exception being as the ball carrier in HB in limited circumstances where someone lets you throw them down to the endzone and jump to them. Hold the line is great, Juggs no longer get anything like this since unremitting requires shien. The new kolto overload is one of the best defensive CDs in the game for raw survivability. +25% absorb pretty frequently tends to be kinda good as well. You miss out on some things, but your CDs are much shorter on what you do have, and you don't have the backhand CC. Ranged AOE taunt is also much better than PBAOE.

Honestly all in all I think PT is much better in the main fight, Jugg is probably more useful as a ball carrier, but certainly not by a massive margin. Ofc assassin is much better node guard. Still, they're not "really bad". People need to stop being so dramatic.

Edited to add : Need to get some sleep, I misread what you said as "PTs are really that bad" rather than a question. No - they're not really bad at all. They just have less CC but slightly better util and damage.

Edited by dcgregorya

Don't really agree with that at all. Pull for one tends to be more useful than push, with one exception being as the ball carrier in HB in limited circumstances where someone lets you throw them down to the endzone and jump to them. Hold the line is great, Juggs no longer get anything like this since unremitting requires shien. The new kolto overload is one of the best defensive CDs in the game for raw survivability. +25% absorb pretty frequently tends to be kinda good as well. You miss out on some things, but your CDs are much shorter on what you do have, and you don't have the backhand CC. Ranged AOE taunt is also much better than PBAOE.

Honestly all in all I think PT is much better in the main fight, Jugg is probably more useful as a ball carrier, but certainly not by a massive margin. Ofc assassin is much better node guard. Still, they're not "really bad". People need to stop being so dramatic.

Edited to add : Need to get some sleep, I misread what you said as "PTs are really that bad" rather than a question. No - they're not really bad at all. They just have less CC but slightly better util and damage.

I was kinda wondering xD thanks for the response i'm playing around on my PT at the moment will see how it goes and ill keep checking back here for other opinions thanks again for the responses so far.