Dallas Cantina Meet & Greet Q&A Notes

Dawginole

I was there as well and asked specifically about the following pre-patch quote, that specifically talks about making copies of Revan's Mask, and the fact that this is the complete opposite of how Collections work:

Great question. It will always be free to claim any number of copies of an item from Collections on the same character that originally unlocked that item. For example, if you get Revan’s Mask for one of your characters and later destroy it, you’ll be able to re-claim the item from Collections at no extra cost. Heck, you can even claim free additional copies for all of your companions! The fee will only come into effect if you wish to gain account-wide access to the item, and this will be a one-time, account-wide fee. Continuing the above example, once you’ve paid the unlock fee for Revan’s Mask, all of the characters on your account—even those on different servers—will be able to claim unlimited copies of Revan’s Mask for free.

I was given 3 answers.

1. Eric first said it was bad wording on their part, because when that example was given, they weren't 100% sure how the system would work. (Basically, admin error response. They give this one pretty often these days.)

2. He then said that, technically, you can transfer over Revan's Mask, we just misunderstood that they meant you had to have the set first. (It is never good to blame your customer for your mistakes.)

3. Lastly, Damian said it was a limitation with the technology, and they originally were planning to have each item be separate in the Collections menu. Basically, he said it would bog down and trash up the database by having so many character move individual pieces. (This is the most believable answer, but speaks volumes about their database coders.)

Edited by seekerofpower

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, the content in 2.2 should already be in testing, it shouldn't be in the development phase still. The patch notes were probably written weeks ago, and as close as we are to it's release I don't think they have time to develop a new system AND test it before release.

The testing/fixing bugs could be what is holding it back. If they are in crunch time right now they may not be sure exactly what will pass testing until a week before.

3. Lastly, Damian said it was a limitation with the technology, and they originally were planning to have each item be separate in the Collections menu. Basically, he said it would bog down and trash up the database by having so many character move individual pieces. (This is the most believable answer, but speaks volumes about their database coders.)

Go figure. Their POS system that can't even have chat bubbles or more then 25 quests in a log, is holding them back from something they originally intended.

I am not shocked. Maybe they should start working on fixing the core of the majority of this games issue... mainly being their own flawed system.

Interesting read. I'm looking forward to some of the stuff mentioned.

I wish they would drop some of the hyperbole. I'ts cool that they're excited about some of the upcoming stuff but calling something awesome or saying 'you guys will love it' is pointless as you can't predict customer reactions.

I wish they would drop some of the hyperbole. I'ts cool that they're excited about some of the upcoming stuff but calling something awesome or saying 'you guys will love it' is pointless as you can't predict customer reactions.

Pretty difficult to predict the reactions of a broad MMO player base. They could do better in some ways, but there is no win for this for them.

As for hyperbole.. this forum deserves it IMO.. because let's face it... the forum is filled with negative hyperbole. It's as common here as sand on a beach. So in a sense.. it's poetic justice. Besides.. you seem like a smart person.. just ignore their hyperbole for what it is IMO. That's what I do. I am an equal opportunity anti-hyperbolist.

Never.

Gonna.

Happen.

The PvP Messiah™ could descend from the heavens and personally bless the work of the devs as the supreme work of PvP within not only an MMO but all of gaming throughout all of history both past and present and the PvPers would still not be happy.

Hehe ... that probably applies to much of the present-day multiplayer gaming community. :D

Great stuff OP. Count me in as one who appreciates your post.

Edited by GalacticKegger

This is the very same type of rhetoric they have been saying for a while now "its awesome" I really don't see how anyone can believe them.

An example of this would be how the new open PVP on Ilum would be great and players will be pleased, well other than the Gree Event does anyone go there?

and who's fault is that? If your pvp guild has some one go on rep fleet and announce in general that you are raiding the main illum base, They will come. Its like a singles bar...If 1 or 2 people a night show up for 5 min each there isnt gonna be much action. but if you hold an event things get cooking. and if you make it a regular IE: once a week at same time and day, people will start planning to be there.

I was there as well, and OP provides an excellent summary. A few points that stood out in my mind:

• When they started talking about PvP changes, they alluded to the possibility of 2v2 or 3v3 arena-style fights. I would not be surprised to see this in the upcoming PvP update.

• Damian stressed that he does intend to do guild ships, but they want to do it right. They want to give players the "experience of having their own star destroyer."

• They're all having fun playing the new space game. No info as to when it will go live.

• As was mentioned, last Tuesday was a very good day for the studio. Damian stated they sold *a lot* of dyes.

• The explanation about who was spending money in the cartel market was very thought-provoking. As Damian said, people who want to spend money with them look at how they can get the best value, and the first thing they can do is to subscribe. It seems counterintuitive in a way but makes perfect sense--those who are going to spend significant cash are most likely going to start with subscribing.

[*]The explanation about who was spending money in the cartel market was very thought-provoking. As Damian said, people who want to spend money with them look at how they can get the best value, and the first thing they can do is to subscribe. It seems counterintuitive in a way but makes perfect sense--those who are going to spend significant cash are most likely going to start with subscribing.

Much better context in this statement Drebs, then previously presented. So I appreciate you highlighting this.

I agree, it makes complete sense to me. If I were playing an MMO like this one free...the first thing I would do (based on the features differences) is subscribe if I wanted more access and wanted it more econmically.

Edited by Andryah

well i think the evening was great and not just because i won something for traveling the furthest. :) btw it was a super cool SW book ends from gentle giant.

The Devs where great and answered a lot of my questions...i probably asked about 20 JUST myself.

so yah thanks for the 'notes' posted and it was great to see the passion that these folks actually had. This is Star Wars after all. :)

BTW..gripping about the CM is just pointless...it is keeping this game alive...you HAVE to make money in order to keep a game going. just deal with it. :)